Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

orange juche posted:

Even a 6:12:472 felt suicidally fast though, right? I've seen people ripping off laps in sims at that speed and all I can think is "haha holy poo poo no way could that be done in real life"

Something in the low 5s would be something I would be double checking the timing to make sure the clock didn't gently caress up, the laws of physics are being bent when you're lapping the ring that fast imo.

yeah, I know it's a video game and my rear end in a top hat was clenched the whole time. And that was my third attempt, first two were killed by tankslappers (first at Brünnchen, second at Bergwerk).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Kilonum posted:

Well the 919 is now in pCARS2 and the current record on Nords with that car is 5:30.160. Best I could muster was a 6:12.472.

I just tried this myself and managed a best of 5:59:401. Would've been even better if I didn't almost throw it into the wall at Hohe Acht. Being on the recovery system at full song approaching Aremberg is pants shittingly awesome.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Wirth1000 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0DuNdC_LA0

Jimmy manages a 5m 03s with the 919 in Assetto Corsa.

Jimmy is pretty good, but who knows how accurate that AC modded 919 is, somebody could have just set it to downforce = yes

So I wouldn't necessarily expect those numbers IRL

He is FLYING through those corners though, drat

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
It's apparently modeled off the figures released by Porsche, but doesn't have the DRS. So it's probably in the ballpark but by no means truly sim-grade accurate

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

So Le Mans is only legally available on Velocity in the US, right?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

LMP1 dying it looks like:

https://racer.com/2018/06/07/wmsc-hints-at-2020-2021-lmp1-replacement-regulations/

quote:

For the new regulations, there’s a targeted budget of one-quarter of current LMP1 budgets, and freedom of design for brands based on a ‘hypercar’ concept. Cost reduction is set to be maintained in no small part via restrictions to aero development, with a particular focus on the underside of the new cars.

Ahh, are we back to the prototypes-that-look-like-street cars portion of the never ending sportscar cycle? Dope.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

gently caress it, let DPi/LMP2 exist and SuperGT's GT500 all exist in one series.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 5 days!)

My favorite part of the cycle!

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Please let us have whatever 2022 equivilents of the Laferrari/918/P1 battling down Mulsanne :pray:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Basticle posted:

Please let us have whatever 2022 equivilents of the Laferrari/918/P1 battling down Mulsanne :pray:

:gizz:

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
Without roadgoing homologation specials, I don't see much to be excited about when it comes to prototypes that look like road cars. It's just making aerodynamics less effective in most cases. I guess that's the point, so you don't need a wind tunnel every step of the way to be competitive, but it's not exactly a cause for celebration in and of itself

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I'm worried that limiting underfloor development will end in super aero sensitive cars like what's killing F1 right now

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I guess they could have a huge and efficient floor, but just have it spec? That would hopefully let em race close for cheaper.

But then again this is the ACO, they will probably mandate flat floors and rediscover the blow-over era.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

"Freedom of design"

"Reduced costs"

Do they even hear themselves anymore?

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Rally Sardinia is going on. There has been some rain mixing things up, and there is a tight fight between Ogier and Neuville in the championship

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCaYAoiy0U8

http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/livetiming/page/4175----.html

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

I'm worried that limiting underfloor development will end in super aero sensitive cars like what's killing F1 right now

it's endurance racing, "making it easy to overtake" isn't really an issue

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
If these regs translate to IMSA, it'll be more of an issue, especially on the street circuits

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

If these regs translate to IMSA, it'll be more of an issue, especially on the street circuits

For street circuits there’s a difference, you just add as much wing (drag) as possible and pray for mechanical grip. The aero sensitivity is more on higher-speed circuits where mechanical grip is at the limit and all of the aero only works with no other cars around.

If people can’t pass at Monaco it’s not the fault of draggy cars or aero sensitivity, it’s trying to ride your bicycle around your living room. Long Beach is different, Detroit is different, Sebring is that but for 12 hours.

If it turns into high-spec DPIs or machines like the Mercedes CLR — identifiably a Mercedes, yet a full-blooded prototype — but without the sham of homologation, I think it’ll work out alright.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The sham of homologation gave us the Toyota GT-One so I miss it.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

So...

We're gonna get homologated engines, flat floors and "road car" aesthetics.
ACO, come on buddy, if you wanted to cut costs that badly just adopt DPi as your top tier and stop pretending you're ever gonna be on par with F1.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The sham of homologation gave us the Toyota GT-One so I miss it.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Schlesische posted:

So...

We're gonna get homologated engines, flat floors and "road car" aesthetics.
ACO, come on buddy, if you wanted to cut costs that badly just adopt DPi as your top tier and stop pretending you're ever gonna be on par with F1.

I remember the first time I heard about the ACO

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Super close fight for the win in the final stage of Rally Sardinia now. 0.8 seconds between Neuville and Ogier before the final stage.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Holy poo poo. That was an insane last stage. Both cars loosing their mirrors pushing like crazy.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Just went and confirmed my FIA WEC season pass, make sure you’re setup before Le Mans this weekend*

*except in the US, because lol

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Why are they giving the US the finger again?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

iospace posted:

Really?

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Velocity has the TV rights. I haven't tested watching live through VPN, but watching replays through VPN works with a paid sub. The streaming will probably be hosed anyway for the first while, it always is. I'll be probably watching velocity and have the RLM studio feed going. Or a pirate Eurosport track audio only feed with rlm commentary, and the Velocity feed in the background so they get some money.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iospace posted:

Because Velocity/Discovery Channel gave them a large enough novelty check?

It really should be an and/or deal.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I get to catch the whole thing this year! :getin:

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
TEAM NO SLEEP

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

TEAM NO SLEEP

I'll probably sleep but only for a few hours and get up at 6 to catch the last two :shobon:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

TEAM NO SLEEP

word

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

TEAM NO SLEEP

Gonna aim for this but

iospace posted:

I'll probably sleep but only for a few hours and get up at 6 to catch the last two :shobon:

This is far more likely

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i've watched all 24 hours of the 24 hours of le mans since 2011

i prolly won't this year because of the stupid, stupid decision to region-block the stream.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i've watched all 24 hours of the 24 hours of le mans since 2011

i prolly won't this year because of the stupid, stupid decision to region-block the stream.

I'm sure there will be restreams on reddit but yes, gently caress the WEC. I remember when their app first came out and it was so good.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I have to babysit my niece and nephew and won’t get to sit down for 5 minutes for two whole days

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I for one think it's a great idea to expect all your viewers to subscribe to a poo poo tier cable channel in 2018.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The Kimoa Kid posted:

I for one think it's a great idea to expect all your viewers to subscribe to a poo poo tier cable channel in 2018.

i seriously cannot loving wait for cable to just die, i haven't had that poo poo for 5 years and don't miss it at all. every racing series should just be streaming, like for all the poo poo wec does wrong their streaming service has been awesome and should be a model other series follow, not one they themselves decide to hobble.

but it's also wec so i guess what can you expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

So is Velocity / Motor Trend paying them more than they expect to earn from actual App subscribers in the US? I guess?