Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Faith should be a private thing. I have a huge hatred of organized religion for how they demonized homosexuals and specifically, those with AIDS in the late 80's and early 90's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Rhyno posted:

Faith should be a private thing. I have a huge hatred of organized religion for how they demonized homosexuals and specifically, those with AIDS in the late 80's and early 90's.

That's just because churches ran propaganda against you as a child.

Also it's horseshit that churches aren't taxed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My personal experiences turned me away from the church and I am a far better person for it. Faith is a wonderful thing. Organized religion is a crutch for weak people.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Even as a heathen nonbeliever, the last part of that statement is a bit broad and overreaching, even for AI.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

InitialDave posted:

I can appreciate that some people can find religion can help them, and that's not especially a problem for me, but dragging your kids into it is a bit off, really.

Teach them as much as you can about what everyone believes, and they'll work out for themselves where reality lies as they get older.

Nah, religion needs them indoctrinated ASAP hence the baptism stuff, holy communion and confirmation. Can't give kids objective information about things when your religion is slowly dying off...

I went to a Catholic school, I'm allowed to say this :v:

Also Christianity is a super boring religion that we inflicted upon so many people around the world, in many cases completely annihilating their own religions.

African Kuba story of creation: in the beginning Mbombo was alone and darkness and water covered the earth, Mbombo felt an intense pain in his stomach and doubled up in pain vomited forth the sun, the moon and the stars. The heat from the sun evaporated the water covering the continents and made the clouds. Mbombo vomited once more and created 9 animals including man. From these 9 animals came all the rest of the animals bar the kite. Mbombo's 3 sons said they'd finish creating everything, one of them vomited up ants and then died. To honour him the ants dug into the earth to bury him and make the soil fertile. The second son created all the plants on the earth. The third son created the last bird, the kite.

One of Mbombo's creations caused so much trouble he was chased into the sky where he became a thunderbolt. This left man with no way to create fire so Mbombo showed man how to make it from trees. Once creation was peaceful Mbombo ascended to the skies.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Look, Jesus definitely wants MY team to win this football game, not yours.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Even as a heathen nonbeliever, the last part of that statement is a bit broad and overreaching, even for AI.

The worst parts of my childhood are due to exposure to OR. When we moved and I was super excited to escape we ended up living next to a youth pastor who's loving kids tried to indoctrinate everyone in the neighborhood into their wackadoo cult.

First kid I wholy and totally beat the gently caress out of.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Rhyno posted:

The worst parts of my childhood are due to exposure to OR. When we moved and I was super excited to escape we ended up living next to a youth pastor who's loving kids tried to indoctrinate everyone in the neighborhood into their wackadoo cult.

First kid I wholy and totally beat the gently caress out of.

Was that how you got the HIV?

Also that is a super broad statement, but I agree with you for the most part. Have faith all you want, but if you need a church to do it, a guy/gal (lol for the like 2 that allow women) who is no better than you to tell you how he reads a book, pay them thousands of (taxed for you, untaxed for them) dollars so they can overall do a net harm to society, and continue to force outdated hateful views on the rest of us?

That's not faith, that's a pyramid scheme.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Graduated from seminary with a master of arts. Became Catholic as an adult. Joined Knights of Columbus.

Am I doing this right? :v:

In all seriousness, I dont give two shits about what people believe, because ol Jesus is pretty clear: don't be an rear end in a top hat. Don't kill people, feed people that are hungry. If they're naked, give em clothes. Treat women with respect. gently caress the powers that be if they aren't being just. Just don't be a hateful, abusive fuckwit.

I plan to raise my kids in the faith. If they choose another path when they're older, I'm fine with it as long as they are good people. Same goes for my brother and other atheists I am close to.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

Also it's horseshit that churches aren't taxed.

The "church" of Scientology can suck a dick and should be forced to pay all back taxes since their beginning.

Seriously gently caress that cult, it's one of the reasons I stay the hell away from Clearwater.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

QuarkMartial posted:

Became Catholic as an adult.

Just don't be a hateful, abusive fuckwit.

I mean, aside from current pope frank.....

Admittedly, I'm bitter as gently caress, so apologies. I wasn't raised Catholic, but a lot of friends were. 3 brothers, I was friends with the middle, all molested by priests. Once it came up (after their dad beat the gently caress out of them for lying against the church) from a few other kids, the priest was moved. Never punished.

One of the wife's friends also claims that she was raped when she was 13 by a priest, and I don't doubt her one bit. That guy was also mysteriously moved a few years later.

It's not faith. It really is the organizations. And just like anything else, if you support it you're condoning it even if nominally whether it be religion or anything else. I just don't know how people justify it to themselves, or overcome that feeling. Maybe it's just me, though, and my experiences hosed me up too much to see it any other way.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

The "church" of Scientology can suck a dick and should be forced to pay all back taxes since their beginning.

Seriously gently caress that cult, it's one of the reasons I stay the hell away from Clearwater.

I was in Clearwater about a decade ago, and there was a protest going on against them. Wasn't involved, but we were down there.

Got pulled over as soon as we left, and basically told that if we knew what was good for us we'd get out of town.

There's even one in goddamn plant city, and that thing has more cameras outside than a super max.

iwentdoodie fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 8, 2018

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

Got pulled over as soon as we left, and basically told that if we knew what was good for us we'd get out of town.

Lol wat. Like told you to get out because there might be trouble, or to get out because they thought you were protestors?

It really is a loving scab on society, would be nice if it fell apart never to return, only to be remembered as the joke that it is.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Lol wat. Like told you to get out because there might be trouble, or to get out because they thought you were protestors?

It really is a loving scab on society, would be nice if it fell apart never to return, only to be remembered as the joke that it is.

That Scientology exists kind of exposes the hosed up sort of view our US government has on religions. That anyone takes part in it at all (or any other organized religions) says everything you need to know, that people are desperate to be exploited and taken advantage of.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
When I die I fully expect that to mean the end of my existence and I will be extremely angry at those responsible if that isn't the case.

Until that time I will treat human beings like human beings and remain intolerant of those who use nonsense as a justification for abuse, murder, and morals that are incompatible with reality.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

They thought we were protesting. We had parked in an area the previous night that wasn't far away from the protests, and when we left they followed us down the road and about five blocks later flipped on the cherries.

That same day people had video of cops taking pictures of license plates and faces all around downtown. The cops are basically an extension of the church, from everything I've heard, or at least used to be.

Also, that creepy rear end campus they have outside Hemet, CA feels like mars. You drive down, it's on either side of the road with a giant fence, covered in cameras. If you stop, their security is on you faster than any military base outside of area 51, with cops following immediately after. It's the one where all their videos get filmed, and where they're pretty sure people have died/been killed.

Creepy rear end loving cult.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The only valid church is the church of the V8

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Enourmo posted:

I'll sit over here moon lighting between the church of i6 and church of 4.8l turbo diesel.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Enourmo posted:

By our deeds, we honor him.

V8

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

AI is a cool and chill place and considering all things I appreciate how well everyone behaves in light of this discussion.

With regard to some tenets of my beliefs a big one comes down to ones ability to choose, or the chance to be an agent of choice. So as my kids get older I hope that they will find a relationship with Deity. They will be adults one day and can make their own decisions. My choice to live and believe the things I do are far more than habit or indoctrination as a child.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Somewhat Heroic and I are basically on the opposite side of the religion spectrum but yet our shared love for the S65 V8 bridges all divides.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Somewhat Heroic posted:

AI is a cool and chill place and considering all things I appreciate how well everyone behaves in light of this discussion.

With regard to some tenets of my beliefs a big one comes down to ones ability to choose, or the chance to be an agent of choice. So as my kids get older I hope that they will find a relationship with Deity. They will be adults one day and can make their own decisions. My choice to live and believe the things I do are far more than habit or indoctrination as a child.

And I don't begrudge you for it at all, and think you're a cool dude.

We disagree on stuff but I'd still hang out with you in a heartbeat and enjoy it.

Edit: also, I sincerely apologize if anything I've said here is taken as a shot or insult against anyone here, because it's not meant as one.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Ether Frenzy posted:

Somewhat Heroic and I are basically on the opposite side of the religion spectrum but yet our shared love for the S65 V8 bridges all divides.

:respek:

iwentdoodie posted:

And I don't begrudge you for it at all, and think you're a cool dude.

We disagree on stuff but I'd still hang out with you in a heartbeat and enjoy it.

I’d absolutely goonmeet anyone in AI.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Speaking of out dated and old fashioned ideas: I catch a lot more poo poo from people I don't expect from the fact that my wife and I don't wear rings and that we don't share a last name. We don't do rings because of the now-well-known commercialization of the idea of a 'wedding ring' and we didn't do the name thing because lol why in the gently caress, but also that's something you have to do totally outside of marriage! So prevalent it is that we just assumed you got it as a part of marriage itself.
Plus (this was years ago) when we went to get married here in Florida the state made us read through this ultra-conservative-lens-idea-of-marriage-thing that was about a MAN and a WOMAN and LOVE :jerkbag:. The woman at the desk didn't like at all that we flatly stated our reason for marriage was a business move rather than some 'recognized by the government' love. We started making a lot of money and wanted to make sure we were both taken care of in case something happens to either of us.

Especially fun is when we go to speak for each other as husband or wife and the person doesn't believe us because we don't share the last name.

antiquepacbell
Nov 4, 2012

Enourmo posted:

What about the church of the Buick 3800?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

antiquepacbell posted:

What about the church of the Buick 3800?

*dons clerical collar*

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Actually that's not right because the 3800 was originally the Fireball V8 215 and is a cousin to the Rover V8, both of them having the Fireball V8 as their ancestor.

That's right, the Rover V8 that lasted until 2006 and the GM 3800 V6 that lasted until 2013 both started as an aluminum-for-one-year-then-iron V8 in this car, the 1958-1961 Buick Special.

Wikipedia says the engine didn't start life until 1963 but that's a lie, it was 1961.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 8, 2018

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Enourmo posted:

My church is the church of the One True Motor - the Boxer. All cylinder numbers are welcome.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

iwentdoodie posted:

I mean, aside from current pope frank.....

Admittedly, I'm bitter as gently caress, so apologies. I wasn't raised Catholic, but a lot of friends were. 3 brothers, I was friends with the middle, all molested by priests. Once it came up (after their dad beat the gently caress out of them for lying against the church) from a few other kids, the priest was moved. Never punished.

One of the wife's friends also claims that she was raped when she was 13 by a priest, and I don't doubt her one bit. That guy was also mysteriously moved a few years later.

Yeah, that's a big loving problem that wasn't handled at all. Not handled poorly, just not handled. It needs to be addressed desperately.

I'd drink a beer with any of you jerks.

All hail the 7.3l powerstroke.
because powerstrokin it will never get old

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Enourmo posted:

The ICE knows no discrimination. Bring your I3, your H6, your V12, your diesel, your 2-stroke, your huddled rotaries; all are welcome in his warm embrace

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I was raised as a Jehovah's witness and all religion can go to hell.

Excepting engine and cargo cults of course.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Ferremit posted:

It’s interesting- south Australia has container deposit legislation, which basically means the makers of the drink pay a levy, and if you collect the container for recycling and return it to a recycling depot, you get 10c.

As a result you see zero bottles on the ground in the city, cos the homeless harvest them before they hit the ground for an income and in country areas you barely see any on the road verge either. Unless they’re a piss bottle...

Cross the border into NSW or Victoria however, and once you go bout 10km in, the roads are lined with bottles and cans

NSW introduced a Container Deposit Scheme last year and as per usual it’s a thinly veiled cash grab that’s been a total gently caress up

The “deposit” is ~20c a bottle but the refund is only 10c a bottle, if you can find somewhere to return your empties. Which also need to be in pristine condition so you can scan the barcodes one at a time.

There was no public advertising whatsoever with the introduction of the scheme. This means when Bruce walks in to the bottle-o on 1 November the price of a case of beer increased by $5 with no explanation why.

Now if Bruce is careful and patient he can go get $2.40 of that $5 back. Except that no recycling centres or reverse vending machines were rolled out until mid December.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

KakerMix posted:

Speaking of out dated and old fashioned ideas: I catch a lot more poo poo from people I don't expect from the fact that my wife and I don't wear rings and that we don't share a last name. We don't do rings because of the now-well-known commercialization of the idea of a 'wedding ring' and we didn't do the name thing because lol why in the gently caress, but also that's something you have to do totally outside of marriage! So prevalent it is that we just assumed you got it as a part of marriage itself.
Plus (this was years ago) when we went to get married here in Florida the state made us read through this ultra-conservative-lens-idea-of-marriage-thing that was about a MAN and a WOMAN and LOVE :jerkbag:. The woman at the desk didn't like at all that we flatly stated our reason for marriage was a business move rather than some 'recognized by the government' love. We started making a lot of money and wanted to make sure we were both taken care of in case something happens to either of us.

Especially fun is when we go to speak for each other as husband or wife and the person doesn't believe us because we don't share the last name.

My mom didn't take my dad's last name because she was an established professional and author and plus why should she?
It caused all sorts of issues, particularly when I went to Catholic high school.
She also hates it when people call her "mrs. (My dad's name)" when they know here actual name.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Thor Ragarock was really great

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tide posted:

Thor Ragarock was really great

Thor is the god we should all be worshipping.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Tron has really good pinball music and from 10 minutes on google I can't find a nice clean source. :argh:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Rhyno posted:

Thor is the god we should all be worshipping.

The summer solstice is approaching, it's not too late to find a suitable hilltop to sacrifice a sheep/goat and hold a feast in his honor

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Door Frame posted:

The summer solstice is approaching, it's not too late to find a suitable hilltop to sacrifice a sheep/goat and hold a feast in his honor

Can we just skip to the getting drunk as poo poo part?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Can we just skip to the getting drunk as poo poo part?

I think if we're skipping everything else, mead needs to be involved in the drunkenness

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Cage posted:

Tron has really good pinball music and from 10 minutes on google I can't find a nice clean source. :argh:

The obvious joke here is "just buy the daft punk album" but I know what you're taking about. I need to watch Tron again.

Baptised as a Catholic, went to Catholic schools, later found out this was related. My parents are both baptised Catholics but we've never once talked religion, they completely let me make up my own mind, that involved me finding a youth Bible study group completely off my own back. I lasted about three weeks before I came to the conclusion I wasn't going to get any questions answered. Dropped religion completely at that point.

Later in uni I met a lovely clever fella who was in training to become a priest and worked the rules of Satanism into his practice sermons, we had some wonderful conversations and discussions and he reminded me that positive things can come out of religion but admitted they were in the minority and OR had caused more problems in the last 800 years than it solved.

I just don't have faith though. We're a fantastically unlikely result of a string of circumstances almost beyond imagination but that's it. There is no sky person to blame, they won't fix anything for you, they won't be there to hold your hand when you die. Make the best of your life and take responsibility for it yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Followup on the car drama. GF got the plates and registration today. I'll have them in my hands tomorrow afternoon, thank gently caress. I've gotten real sick of having cops flipping a u-turn when they see me without a front plate, followed by riding my bumper until they can run the temp tags. Had one light me up as soon as he did a u-turn the other night, then turn off the lights once he got close enough to see I had a valid temp tag.

.... of course, the plates are registered at my new address, which I won't actually be living at for a bit over a month (which will be odd to explain if I get pulled over), but it'll be my legal mailing address by the end of the month. And the car won't stand out like a sore thumb on the road once it has plates on it. Car insurance is nosediving after the move too (about a $20/mo difference).

Elephanthead posted:

What's up ion buddy, just got a 2007 sedan, got to find a smashed up turbo cobalt now.

:v:

This is my second Ion (yeah, I'm nuts). Both 2006 quad coupes, both 5 speeds. First one was a level 3, and a goddamned tank that wouldn't die and never had any real problems (aside from the ac compressor) until I got whacked by a garbage truck in it. This one is a level 2 (but well optioned.. sunroof, keyless entry, power windows/locks/mirrors/etc... it's a 2 only on the title and in the manual headlights, basically), and it's been a loving basketcase (despite the much lower miles). Engine has been solid, the rest of the car is a pile. :sigh:

The 3 disappeared from Pick n Pull's inventory within a week, I wonder if they put it out on the "builder" lot. The paper title was unbranded once I got a paper copy (weeks after the accident), but the history did show it was declared salvage by my insurance. I yanked a ton of parts off of it to fix a bunch of broken poo poo on the replacement car, which has me wondering how it would have wound up on the builder lot. It got there missing a bunch of (factory) accessory wiring, ripped off bumper, bent frame, and missing most interior switches + HVAC blower + speakers.

Ether Frenzy posted:

FWIW I never went to church past the age of 4 and still got all that anyway, it's usually more a result of good parenting and growing up in a good environment generally than a (direct) result of Sunday morning hobby-having.

I was raised racist as gently caress (all from my mom and stepdad - my blood dad doesn't give two shits what race someone is, and has been in an interracial marriage for nearly 20 years), and raised Baptist.

Getting my rear end whipped in school several times for forgetting my Bible at home definitely helped define my views on religion - or rather, how much I hated it. I've been an on-again-off-again part of a Unitarian Universalist church for a few years though, and it's a really, really nice breath of fresh air discovering that "liberal" and "church" can go hand in hand. They don't give two shits what religion you do or don't follow, who you gently caress, or what you believe in. They just want you to show up and hang out, and maybe learn about 50 different religions in a laid back atmosphere, and just try and be a good person. I still consider myself agnostic (a downgrade from outright atheist, I suppose), and my GF considers herself "an atheist Catholic". I actually took my mom and stepdad to the UU church once; they were a bit weirded out by the fact that everyone there was in shorts, t-shirts/tank tops, mohawks, flip flops, green hair, etc... but really liked the minister (who also performed the first same-sex marriage in Denton county), and walked out really liking the experience.

Of the serious relationships I've been in, over half have been interracial (including my current one, though I don't know if that counts - since we also dated 22 years ago :v:), and most have been gay. I'd like to think I'm a decent person, and I grew up in a decent home, but I had some really, really terrible stuff forced upon me as a kid (mainly racism and homophobia, and Jesus only loves those with money).

angryrobots posted:

I was raised as a Jehovah's witness and all religion can go to hell.

There's a JW hall right down the road.

I wind up with stacks of The Watchtower. :sigh:

QuarkMartial posted:

don't be an rear end in a top hat. Don't kill people, feed people that are hungry. If they're naked, give em clothes. Treat women with respect. gently caress the powers that be if they aren't being just. Just don't be a hateful, abusive fuckwit.

Words to live by.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jun 8, 2018

• Locked thread