Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

vyst posted:

I'm not experiencing this on DP3.

Are you in DND mode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Rolls 12 sided pixel

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Don Lapre posted:

Headphone jack is not coming back to pixels :(. Guess its oneplus till they stop offering them also.

https://www.xda-developers.com/google-pixel-3-xl-glass-back-display-notch/

"No... there is another."

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Are you in DND mode?

No. I even have vibrate notification tone on.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

The Merkinman posted:

All glass back = Qi charging returns :pray:

Since Android always tries to emulate Apple in a half-assed way (but not after mocking them for the very same thing, see headphone jack), I'd say there is a 50% chance there will be qi charging :v:

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Qi charging coming back wouldn't bother me too much, since I never bothered to sell the old Tylt Vus I got for my nexus 4/5 so I'm already ready for it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Is this the thread to talk about Google Voice? Because I'm getting really tired of not being able to send decent sized Gifs to my family. The voice app itself doesn't let me do it, I tried integrating it with Hangouts but that just seems to upload files that aren't shared. Am I missing something? Should I just port my number to Verizon and use the regular Messenger app?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Is this the thread to talk about Google Voice? Because I'm getting really tired of not being able to send decent sized Gifs to my family. The voice app itself doesn't let me do it, I tried integrating it with Hangouts but that just seems to upload files that aren't shared. Am I missing something? Should I just port my number to Verizon and use the regular Messenger app?

If it is going through MMS then it'll get sized limited to like 1.5 meg or something similar. Going to have to go to a different platform to send bigger GIFs.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

FunOne posted:

If it is going through MMS then it'll get sized limited to like 1.5 meg or something similar. Going to have to go to a different platform to send bigger GIFs.

What platforms are available for Android folks in a group chat with Apple users?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What platforms are available for Android folks in a group chat with Apple users?

Hahaha

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

lol I think you're pretty much stuck with WhatsApp or any of those other multi-platform chat apps

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

discords pretty good

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Port your number to google fi instead

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
My in-laws are an all iPhone family and my wife is on a Pixel...messaging has been not great.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

azurite posted:

Maybe I'm just rationalizing, but I kind of like the chin on my OG Pixel. On my old Samsung phones it was always impossible to hand someone my phone without them hitting a soft button.

It's nice that the bezels seem much slimmer here, though. I was planning to get whatever the next XL will be.

You aren't. After getting a Pixel it was like buying the MacBook Air where I went "Huh, I guess Apple was right..." It's really critical when you want to balance the phone in the "nook" where your thumb meets the palm. Of course a smaller chin and the removal of the overview button which was easy to hit on small chinned phones should mitigate the major aggravation I had with the smaller chins.

The Merkinman posted:

All glass back = Qi charging returns :pray:

On the one hand, I agree with this so hard and I loved my Tylt Vus. On the other, my USB-C port never lost its grip, and charging to full in twenty minutes never left me in the lurch. I also wonder if constantly keeping my Nexus 5 on a Qi charger contributed to its declining battery life, but it lasted 2.5 years anyway and my Pixel without frequent charges also still holds a charge like a champ.

Either way I'd rather have it than not just for the nice nightstand placement--upright enough to see notifications and zero fiddling with it to quickly do something.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

TheWevel posted:

My in-laws are an all iPhone family and my wife is on a Pixel...messaging has been not great.
:sever:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Facebook messenger

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I could take or leave Qi charging after getting my Pixel 2 XL since I can't really seem to be able to run it down fully in a day. Plugging it in once a day to charge overnight over dropping it on my Tylt Vue isn't that big of a deal.

If for some reason I want to top off the thing, 15-20 minutes adds so much charge that I'm more than good.

That's not too say I wouldn't mind the extra feature, but not if it's going to come with any other design compromises *cough*glass back*cough*.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Wireless charging owns and I'm still mad that I have to plug in my phone every night like a caveman after being spoiled by the Nexus phones. Glass backs rule too but they need to bring back the Nexus 4 sparkle back. My ideal phone has zero ports.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Chikimiki posted:

I'd say there is a 50% chance there will be qi charging :v:

The LG one: Qi charging.
The HTC one: no Qi charging.

50:50 :haw:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

A ton of them, and each is massively better than MMS or iMessage. The challenge is getting people to actually download and use them.

The most popular is whatsapp. My personal vote is Telegram, it's fantastic.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Signal

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
I just discovered that the at a glance widget that is present in the Pixel launcher is available for other launchers as a generic Google app widget, good news for anyone who likes the functionality but would prefer to use another launcher.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

By far, whatsapp

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
While I understand on an intellectual level that Whatsapp as a platform has billions of users and is commonplace, I've never met a single person in the US who uses it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

elmer chud posted:

While I understand on an intellectual level that Whatsapp as a platform has billions of users and is commonplace, I've never met a single person in the US who uses it.

Is it possible North Americans are finally getting tired of registering a login and password for every social app under the sun, and Whatsapp was one too many?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

The LG one: Qi charging.
The HTC one: no Qi charging.

50:50 :haw:

Except both are rumored to be by Foxconn and Google this time so who knows!

elmer chud
May 18, 2018

Mister Facetious posted:

Is it possible North Americans are finally getting tired of registering a login and password for every social app under the sun, and Whatsapp was one too many?

I don't know that that is the case because they definitely use Snapchat and Instagram and will likely move on to whatever the next popular social networking platform is. Facebook Messenger and SMS seem to be the most prevalent messaging platforms I see in use now, while some people use Signal or Telegram or Discord. I've also seen a few people use GroupMe.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

elmer chud posted:

I don't know that that is the case because they definitely use Snapchat and Instagram and will likely move on to whatever the next popular social networking platform is. Facebook Messenger and SMS seem to be the most prevalent messaging platforms I see in use now, while some people use Signal or Telegram or Discord. I've also seen a few people use GroupMe.

I pretty much only see people in the US using SMS and facebook messenger. I'm seeing FB messenger less and less though lately...

Honestly outside of Snapchat and Instagram Americans don't seem to give a single gently caress about their phones as long as it (sort of) works.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Mister Facetious posted:

WhatsApp hooks to your phone number, you don't really create an account for it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Lol this thread, you say this but people are in the same breath recommending signal, telegram, Facebook Messenger, etc

Cao Ni Ma posted:

WhatsApp hooks to your phone number, you don't really create an account for it.

Also that.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I think it was a joke.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

you can never be sure in this thread, never

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

I think it was a joke.

It's impossible to tell sometimes in this thread tbf

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I assume anything outrageous ITT is jokey or hyperbole and I'm always gobsmacked when someone responds to some of the absolutist statements seriously.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The real answer is SMS has traditionally been cheap in the US with unlimited SMS/MMS being part of plans pretty early and people get set in their ways.

Then everyone who bought an Apple device went to iMessage and people on Android just kept using SMS to talk to those people.

There was never this big push to get around SMS fees by using a chat app.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

bull3964 posted:

The real answer is SMS has traditionally been cheap in the US with unlimited SMS/MMS being part of plans pretty early and people get set in their ways.

Then everyone who bought an Apple device went to iMessage and people on Android just kept using SMS to talk to those people.

There was never this big push to get around SMS fees by using a chat app.

Idk why but I never realized this tbh but it makes sense.

I remember seeing memes a few years ago on twitter where girls were making fun of guys that had "green text". The suggestion being that if you owned an android phone you were poor and they could tell the second they got the text. I think that sums up the state of American messaging apps pretty well.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
It has been so long since SMS/MMS wasn't unlimited. I feel like everybody started to offer unlimited SMS/MMS around the time smartphones came out. I really can't remember anything exact since it was so long ago.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Same in the uk, it's been a very long time since anyone had to pay for sms

Everyone uses whatsapp or messenger here

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Nalin posted:

It has been so long since SMS/MMS wasn't unlimited. I feel like everybody started to offer unlimited SMS/MMS around the time smartphones came out. I really can't remember anything exact since it was so long ago.

You had to pay for the privilege of unlimited texting when it was first offered though, and it was like 10 dollars per month per line or something dumb which is why I had to use Google voice for texting up until about 6 years ago

Oh yeah and before Google voice I had a prepaid phone only for texts because it was cheaper than paying for unlimited texts...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

elmer chud posted:

America loves doing its own thing when the entire rest of the world uses something else. See also: CDMA