Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Agony Aunt posted:

Here we have a backer who knows the score...
The score is 4-0 to Braben.

tax: future space cover in space in the future

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A8LdDqWrps

edit: also spoilers lol

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Mining in 3.2! :toot:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6ldvcq

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

Down In The Pit... There's It!

Hav posted:

That's nothing. Patch 3.5 gives the AI combat _styles_ or profiles, so it's gonna be amazeballs and silence all critics in...Q2 2019?

No, I have no idea why the AI would need different combat styles or profiles, but it sounds great, and before the first 20% of the century is down.

The thing that comes to mind is for the vanduul. You know, the guys that show up in the first level of Squadron 42? So now I dont know if they did a really dumb thing and Squadron 42 is going to have completely different AI or if they cant release first part of SQ42 for at least a year.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Foo Diddley posted:

There's a book about this called When Prophecy Fails, or something like that. Interesting read

Used to be a damned handbook back in the UFOlogy days. Festinger was right on the money.

Okey, dokey skip me old matey jack me lad chief.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

CellarDweller posted:

The thing that comes to mind is for the vanduul. You know, the guys that show up in the first level of Squadron 42? So now I dont know if they did a really dumb thing and Squadron 42 is going to have completely different AI or if they cant release first part of SQ42 for at least a year.

We should check with Ben - he played every SQ42 mission years ago.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Foo Diddley posted:

There's a book about this called When Prophecy Fails, or something like that. Interesting read

It's a personal favorite.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

CellarDweller posted:

It's for the Xi'an combat.

They just turtle.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That thread just keeps on giving.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/8pmcq8/bind_culling_and_fps_ai_moved_to_33/e0cd72o/

quote:

meatball4u [score hidden] 42 minutes ago

The delaying of FPS AI is disappointing, but if a new player were to install the game for 3.2 and encounter an AI that was the opposite of intelligent it might cause them to judge the project poorly for having released such a crappy version. If it isn't ready, it needs to get pushed to another patch simply for optics and marketing.

quote:

Oddzball [score hidden] 35 minutes ago

> encounter an AI that was the opposite of intelligent

We already have that with the ship AI tbh. Its terrible.

Yeah, its a bit hard to say they are leaving something out because its rubbish when what is there is already rubbish.

Reminds me of the typical SC defense of : I'd rather have something good later than something bad now.

To which my reply is, you have something bad now.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

I think it's high time for a new Star Control game.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Scruffpuff posted:

These 5 features will be in 3.2!

Wait! Now we're moving them back to 3.3!

But good news! 3.2 is still on time!

Yeah but a patch is a patch. We'd rather not go all over 2017 again, when we had no patch at all. There might be no real content or improvements in those patches, but look, the patch version is increasing, that definitely proves that we're making steady progress and things aren't getting stale.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Scruffpuff posted:

This is a solved problem, because there's already a server inside CIG that's running a full universe simulation including AI, crafting, trade, etc. and all the things that aren't in the game yet. CIG has had that server for years.

Absolutely. The AI is based on deep learning neural network. After years of feeding it data, it has evolved into a sentient entity. Star Citizen will play itself when it gets released. It'll become the OASIS and replace the Internet, and everybody on this planet will live his virtual life in the 'verse.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

They need to have a Jesus patch to talk about for the end of year sales.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Thank Geesus, Roberts has saved PC gaming.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Revolutionary never before seen gameplay of firing a laser beam into an asteroid.

The fella said war never changes. He never said anything about space mining.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016
Posing on all of the 4's.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
4444 4444 4444 4444 4444 4444 4444 4444 4444

And furtherfour, I believe Star Citizen should be burnt to the ground.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Bootcha posted:

I believe Star Citizen should be burnt to the ground.

Chris Roberts is on the case.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

That looked like the dumbest and possibly the most boring game mechanic this side of GWOP.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

DapperDon posted:

That looked like the dumbest and possibly the most boring game mechanic this side of GWOP.

You don't understand game development. This is just the first iteration. Once this is in, the pipeline kicks in and further iterations will flow quickly and organically, and the game will improve by leaps and bounds, with every patch making it better and faster and more fun.

Just like we've seen with the rest of the project.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

CellarDweller posted:

Bless your heart. They can completely avoid the Vanduul by banging them in spaceships as they've had some problems making them do the whole 'bounding' travel that was supposed to make them terrifying ~ think 'aliens', one of the touchstones of any sci-fi hack ~ and spend the first episode avoiding the proto-kilrathi entirely.

But consider for a moment that basic AI has taken a few years to get to this point of rudimentary behaviour, and they're throwing the football another quarter down the field, they're not building on what you might call a _core competancy_. It's one of the reasons why they trot out IK based on an inclined surface, something that you can see going back quite a way in the parkour games (Assassin's Creed, Batman) as something new or innovative when it's actually a detail that you shouldn't notice unless you're really bored.

The problem here is that the AI shouldn't take this much _effort_ to get working unless it has a hard dependency on something else, but they stop short of giving you critical information about what the subtasks are that are outstanding within the 'FPS AI' bucket; the last one could be 'Implement AI', for example.

Dementropy posted:

It's a personal favorite.

Jim Schnabel's 'Dark White' is worth a glance.

Scruffpuff posted:

I think it's high time for a new Star Control game.

https://www.stardock.com/games/starcontrol/

Bad news, it's Wardell and they've been suffering recently from 'crap games'.

(edit: The rights were tied up for the longest time until Stardock managed to acquire them somehow. <sigh>)

Hav fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 8, 2018

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Press F to pfffffffssssssssssssss pffffssssssssssssssssssss pfffffsssssssssssssss

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Better than released AAA games right there. It's got a bunch of meaningless numbers. Buy the ship now.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

You don't understand game development. This is just the first iteration. Once this is in, the pipeline kicks in and further iterations will flow quickly and organically, and the game will improve by leaps and bounds, with every patch making it better and faster and more fun.

Just like we've seen with the rest of the project.

Adjust your refactoring slider.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Nyast posted:

Absolutely. The AI is based on deep learning neural network. After years of feeding it data, it has evolved into a sentient entity. Star Citizen will play itself when it gets released. It'll become the OASIS and replace the Internet, and everybody on this planet will live his virtual life in the 'verse.
what if the AI is already sentient but doesn't want to play the game because the game is bad

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

I can't believe how long CIG has been in the "walking ghost" phase of Chris Roberts poisoning.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

wyoak posted:

what if the AI is already sentient but doesn't want to play the game because the game is bad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJIjNs_s2NI

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

wyoak posted:

They let Ben play the prototype and now it's racist.

Scruffpuff posted:

I can't believe how long CIG has been in the "walking ghost" phase of Chris Roberts poisoning.

I challenge you to find another phase.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.
Was it Montoya who said that only 20 people work on ships at CIG?

If it's true, those 20 people must be amazing. They just keep turning stuff out, and putting the rest of the company to shame. Those other 380-480 people must be really envious.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Beet Wagon posted:

Star Citizen: Real super homebrew vpn

That incoherent paranoia mixed in with their idea of talking man-to-man about video games, like there's some dark conspiracy between goons, ed and eve players but hey just use wireshark *somehow* oh but the vpn yeah... :psyduck:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Grubby Hobo posted:

Was it Montoya who said that only 20 people work on ships at CIG?

If it's true, those 20 people must be amazing. They just keep turning stuff out, and putting the rest of the company to shame. Those other 380-480 people must be really envious.

Yes. He absolutely said that.

20 people are cranking out ships and 380 people are farting into chairs, apparently.

No but you see, those 380 people are working on the game so its totally getting done soon. Why do they release buggy alpha demos with no content if the game is coming along? Reasons! They want as few as possible people to test the game, okay!

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 8, 2018

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Thrilling. This is literally the central feature of this Jesus patch, and it looks like something that was implemented in a week. Do any of those UI bars mean anything? There's no way to tell just from looking.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Sarsapariller posted:

Thrilling. This is literally the central feature of this Jesus patch, and it looks like something that was implemented in a week. Do any of those UI bars mean anything? There's no way to tell just from looking.

The central feature was the networking improve...pft ha ha. Yah this was the central feature.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

ewe2 posted:

That incoherent paranoia mixed in with their idea of talking man-to-man about video games, like there's some dark conspiracy between goons, ed and eve players but hey just use wireshark *somehow* oh but the vpn yeah... :psyduck:

The best thing about being in IT is watching TV and movies make me wince. More than once my wife has had to contend with detailed explanations of DNS liberally scattered with 'gently caress', 'loving' and 'hosed'. Ditto for Star Citizen, but she also enjoys the cat pictures.

Wireshark does not intersect with SMTP _anywhere_. If you want to find out why your packets are hosed and arriving out of order, or just not arriving at all, you use wireshark, because it literally shows the packet level detail of layer 4. SMTP is layer 7. If you want to internet detective your way through SMTP, learn pathing and the headers, then cross-reference because emails are super-easy to fake.

Like super-duper easy.

Like avoided at least one extremely irate boyfriend by faking a bounce email in realtime easy.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
My dirty secret is that I was giving Bored some support through Patreon. I genuinely enjoyed his videos even though I know this thing is going down in flames. Mostly because I needed something to listen to while working. After him deflecting the death threats I closed my support. gently caress him and Montoya for that poo poo.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Need quad stimpires for this page.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sarsapariller posted:

Burying the lede with that 13fps for mining.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Hav posted:

The best thing about being in IT is watching TV and movies make me wince. More than once my wife has had to contend with detailed explanations of DNS liberally scattered with 'gently caress', 'loving' and 'hosed'. Ditto for Star Citizen, but she also enjoys the cat pictures.

Wireshark does not intersect with SMTP _anywhere_. If you want to find out why your packets are hosed and arriving out of order, or just not arriving at all, you use wireshark, because it literally shows the packet level detail of layer 4. SMTP is layer 7. If you want to internet detective your way through SMTP, learn pathing and the headers, then cross-reference because emails are super-easy to fake.

Like super-duper easy.

Like avoided at least one extremely irate boyfriend by faking a bounce email in realtime easy.

Yeah, always love the headers. I suppose you were around for the Ethereal days?

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Star Citizen: Pay to.... Test?

Also I can't help but laugh at how much more interesting the Dual Universe mining is. It's just about the right level of tedium: it rewards you for putting effort into prospecting, but the actual mining (the boring part that's never fun no matter how it's implemented) is simple and easy. I wrote a post a while ago about how Star Citizen's mining mechanics are going to be hamstrung by the fact that you must be in a mining ship to do it and it's super funny to see that played out in real time comparisons.

I think my favorite mining system in an MMO game was how it was implemented in Star Wars Galaxies. You basically would run around a planet scanning for the material with the properties you desired. Once you found a good pocket of it, you would place harvesters and that would last until the resources flipped. I don't think mining will be an engaging activity in any game until you can start burning immature pictures into a planet or asteroid with your mining laser.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Posting on version 4.4.4.4. of the SC thread. Which is around the version number where they'll finally introduce some basic AI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...
4444 Hail Stimperor