Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Imagine if he'd just played the Sixth Doctor in his street clothes.

It would've been Doctor Who a.k.a. Blackpool Vice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
God I love the incredulous face Liz gives the Brigadier as he’s telling her about the Doctor.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

Husbands of River Song gets good from this moment onwards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgVJDd5vHfw

I love all the sappy parts but more than the "Hello Sweetie" I really enjoy the ending where the Doctor pulls the whammy and does the best he can to give them as much time as he can. And River totally loving called him on it and knew he'd do it.

"I hate you"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJqE2onQUSk

"No you don't"

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I didn't expect the whole "he's right behind me" pantomime schtick to be so good, but by God, it delivered.

Also, River deserved her night on Darillium to not be relegated to a DVD extra.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

TinTower posted:

I didn't expect the whole "he's right behind me" pantomime schtick to be so good, but by God, it delivered.

Also, River deserved her night on Darillium to not be relegated to a DVD extra.

It’s not, it’s a continuing range of audio plays!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Husbands of River Song is one of those cases where the bombastic ridiculousness and the sloppy sentiment just work for me. River's badass-loner-without-a-conscience routine is fun partially because it's performative the comedy of errors in the background is appropriate for the Christmas special, and the actors nail the hell out of both the comedy and the ~*draaaama*~

I like the whole thing.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Plus it's interesting to see how she acts when (she believes) The Doctor's not around.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Capaldi hamming it up as the Doctor hamming it up with "BIGGER ON THE INSIDE?! :psyboom:" is one of my favorite moments of his era.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

After The War posted:

Capaldi hamming it up as the Doctor hamming it up with "BIGGER ON THE INSIDE?! :psyboom:" is one of my favorite moments of his era.

That was indeed lovely.

I cry a little every time I remember that Twelve is gone.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Him mega-faking the "Bigger on the inside thing" is fun, but I also like when he wants people to be excited about it and they're not. The Doctor being deflated that nobody is impressed with his neato-stuff is always good. He's like a techie dad who's disappointed his kids are too young to understand how cool it is, and has nobody to with whom to enjoy his toys.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Clara's "it's smaller on the outside" is great. I love how deflated Eleven looks when she says that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I liked Bill's reaction, with Nardole rolling his eyes and waiting for her to get with the program.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

God I love the incredulous face Liz gives the Brigadier as he’s telling her about the Doctor.

~~{-LIZ-}~~

:swoon:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Bill was a great companion because she was the first genre-aware companion on Doctor Who.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

Bill was a great companion because she was the first genre-aware companion on Doctor Who.

And yet managed not to be cynical about it!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Edward Mass posted:

She was almost always great. I did find her to be a drag on occasion though.

I'm out of touch, do we know who the new companions are?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Rhyno posted:

She was almost always great. I did find her to be a drag on occasion though.

Edward Mass posted:

Presumably, the Doctor survives the fall (because it would be very stupid to have a regeneration last about 90 seconds of life) to go on adventures with three companions, all of which are certainly people named Graham, Ryan, and Yasmin.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What about the meat-units that will be portraying them?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

There are three!!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Rhyno posted:

What about the meat-units that will be portraying them?

Bradley Walsh, Tosin Cole, and Mandip Gill are the portrayers.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Basically, it looks a little crowded, but also packed with potential and talent. It's like everything else with Chibnall's vision so far, in that it simultaneously makes you excited and wary that things could go very wrong very quickly.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Acceptable.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I wish that we had an airdate, but I feel like not knowing when something airs until like the month beforehand is the standard all of a sudden.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I hope AT LEAST one of the companions is not from 2018. If you've got that many humans in the TARDIS, you need someone out of time.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
gently caress, watching those clips reminds me how much I love The Husbands of River Song. I think it's honestly her best story, and one of the best of Capaldi's run. For all Moffat bungled payoff for many of his running plotlines, he manages to bring River's story entirely full circle in a way that almost makes up for all the gently caress-ups. When I watch Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead again, it's just going to be that much harder. but this is sort of what Moffat likes to do - brutally put his characters through the ringer, but not without meaning, and not without some measure of happiness.
I think this is what people miss when they look at Moffat - he's not a heartless bastard. The kneejerk "it's a copout" to both Clara and Bill's endings is lazy, and for that matter betrays a certain kind of bloodlust. and for all people accuse Moffat of being sexist (and he has had missteps), leaving it at Clara dead and Bill cyberconverted would be worse, rendering them as only, in the end, tragedies that happened to the Doctor. Instead, while the Doctor gets them into the nightmare situations, ultimately Clara and Bill come out of it transcended. Twelve didn't create tragedies, ultimately. He generated two more Doctors!
I mean, I say this as someone who is really, really not a huge fan of killing characters off for drama, and thinks the emphasis on it among certain fans is beyond grotesque.

the ghost of Earthshock needs purging.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bicyclops posted:

Him mega-faking the "Bigger on the inside thing" is fun, but I also like when he wants people to be excited about it and they're not. The Doctor being deflated that nobody is impressed with his neato-stuff is always good. He's like a techie dad who's disappointed his kids are too young to understand how cool it is, and has nobody to with whom to enjoy his toys.

11 being pissed off when Rory takes it all in stride and even offers a somewhat correct explanation for why it's bigger on the inside is my favorite.

Which reminds me of one of my favorite recurring gags in 11's run:

11: You know how <x> does <y> which means <z>?
Companion: Yes.
11: Well it's nothing like that.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Eleven: You know how you sometimes pick up a few apples on your way home in the grocery store, and you go to the "twelve items or less line," but there's always some horrible Dalek sympathizer with thirteen items just ahead of you?
Rory: That's really more of an American thing.
Eleven: You know how you run into a pack of Cybermen, and you're about to be really scared, but they you realize that they're the rubbish 'EXXXXCELLENT' ones?
Rory: Not really from our time period.
Eleven: You know how at a bachelor party -
Amy: Is this going to end with you telling us that it's nothing like that?
Rory (tired): Just let him get there.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Spatula City posted:

gently caress, watching those clips reminds me how much I love The Husbands of River Song. I think it's honestly her best story, and one of the best of Capaldi's run. For all Moffat bungled payoff for many of his running plotlines, he manages to bring River's story entirely full circle in a way that almost makes up for all the gently caress-ups. When I watch Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead again, it's just going to be that much harder. but this is sort of what Moffat likes to do - brutally put his characters through the ringer, but not without meaning, and not without some measure of happiness.
I think this is what people miss when they look at Moffat - he's not a heartless bastard. The kneejerk "it's a copout" to both Clara and Bill's endings is lazy, and for that matter betrays a certain kind of bloodlust. and for all people accuse Moffat of being sexist (and he has had missteps), leaving it at Clara dead and Bill cyberconverted would be worse, rendering them as only, in the end, tragedies that happened to the Doctor. Instead, while the Doctor gets them into the nightmare situations, ultimately Clara and Bill come out of it transcended. Twelve didn't create tragedies, ultimately. He generated two more Doctors!
I mean, I say this as someone who is really, really not a huge fan of killing characters off for drama, and thinks the emphasis on it among certain fans is beyond grotesque.

the ghost of Earthshock needs purging.

Well said. I love things like Clara's ending, and never got the fan demand for her to just be dead. Where's the fun in that? Moffat's on record as saying that his vision of Doctor Who is a big-hearted show where love wins in the end. He also had a quite lovely quote some years back, about how heroes in fiction are a mirror of what we aspire to, and he liked that with Doctor Who they gave this hero a screwdriver to fix things and the superpower of having an extra heart

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

There are some places where that big-heartedness wins out and some places where it doesn't, though. Clara's ending is extremely good in my opinion, but Amy and Rory's ending, which I think is trying to do much the same thing, is not, because it strains even Doctor Who belief and it was dragged out too much over half a season. I also think that having almost literally every companion Very Definitely Die, Forever, and also Very Definitely Not Die, and Live a Fulfilling Life starts to be a bit too much.

Like most of the Moffat era in that, when he was writing well and playing to his strengths, he was great, but viewed in the patter of all of his work on Doctor Who since 2005, there are quirks that, while totally fine in themselves, start to wear on you with repetition (nursery rhymes, a tendency toward rewriting things that happened before the show, a certain kind of femme fatale character, etc).

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Bicyclops posted:

There are some places where that big-heartedness wins out and some places where it doesn't, though. Clara's ending is extremely good in my opinion, but Amy and Rory's ending, which I think is trying to do much the same thing, is not, because it strains even Doctor Who belief and it was dragged out too much over half a season. I also think that having almost literally every companion Very Definitely Die, Forever, and also Very Definitely Not Die, and Live a Fulfilling Life starts to be a bit too much.

Like most of the Moffat era in that, when he was writing well and playing to his strengths, he was great, but viewed in the patter of all of his work on Doctor Who since 2005, there are quirks that, while totally fine in themselves, start to wear on you with repetition (nursery rhymes, a tendency toward rewriting things that happened before the show, a certain kind of femme fatale character, etc).

I still remember Davies whole “but they ended up living happily in the end!” After Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead and me screaming at the screen NO THEY DIDN’T THOSE ARE COMPUTER WHISPERS OF PEOPLE WHO LITERALLY HAD THE FLESH EATEN FROM THIER SKELETONS YOU FUCKWIT.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Bicyclops posted:

Even the best writers tend to recycle plot stuff. Though, honestly I wish Moffat would've had more of a collaborative approach rather than being the single defining creative voice. It not only put too much pressure on him, but there wasn't anybody to go "well, we've done this already, why not try something else?".
The more I think about it the more I like Chibnall going for a more collaborative approach. That seems like a recipe for avoiding burnout - and repetition.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Does anyone have a clip of this scene, by any chance?

quote:

The Doctor: Well good now he's gone, any chance of a cup of tea?
Kaled Guard Tane: What?!
The Doctor: Or coffee. My friend and I have had a trying experience — haven't we had a trying experience, Harry?
Sullivan: Very trying, Doctor!
Kaled Guard Tane: Step into the security scan!
The Doctor: What, no tea?
Kaled Guard Tane: Let me point out to you that you have no rights whatsoever. I have full authority to torture and kill any prisoner who does not comply absolutely with my orders. That is your first and last warning.
The Doctor: No tea, Harry.

e; nm, found it

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jun 9, 2018

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I don't know why but the above exchange reminded me of the Daleks involuntarily recoiling when 12 rolls out in Davros' chair, and his little,"Admit it, you've had nightmares about this" line :laugh:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

I don't know why but the above exchange reminded me of the Daleks involuntarily recoiling when 12 rolls out in Davros' chair, and his little,"Admit it, you've had nightmares about this" line :laugh:

One of my favourite parts about the 12 era is how sometimes it looked state of the art, and other times it looked like something from the 1970s.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Senor Tron posted:

One of my favourite parts about the 12 era is how sometimes it looked state of the art, and other times it looked like something from the 1970s.

And this gif is an example of when it looked state of the art.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I kinda half think Moffat was working a (never realized) long con to recreate the sets of classic Who so they could shoot entirely new versions of them.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bicyclops posted:

Part of the issue is what RTD established from episode 1 of the revival--the Doctor has full control of the TARDIS, mom and dad are a spacetime mobile call away, companions can always go home for weekends, we're always popping in to visit home, etc. Moffat took it to the logical conclusion and had the companions live full lives with jobs and TARDISing became a sorta weekend thing.

When you have this, there is zero reason ever for the companions to ever leave or stop travelling with the Doctor. So the writers have to resort to various versions of "they died", "they are trapped but happy" "they have a bomb in their brain and will explode if they see the Doctor again (or vice versa)."

The best thing Chibnall could do is gently caress up the TARDIS so the Doctor can't control it again and has to try to get them home. Or they have to search for a Time Macguffin and can't stop to see mum.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Astroman posted:

Or they have to search for a Time Macguffin and can't stop to see mum.

I read that as Time McMuffin and McDonald's being an evil cross time organization would be amazing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

“Release the McNugget Scouts!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

I read that as Time McMuffin and McDonald's being an evil cross time organization would be amazing.

There is probably a better than 0% that this will be in season, I don't know, six of Legends of Tomorrow.

• Locked thread