Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Should be easy to console and check, start as HAB, console IA to to pass all reforms, annex PAP and NAP and you should be sole power in Venice while your trade capital is in the Vienna node.
You might have to annex everyone who sends ships/merchants too.

Edit: looks like nothing happens, it just stays there not being collected

Tahirovic fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jun 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Is there a basic comparison somewhere of what MEIOU and taxes does differently than Veritas et Fortitudo? The paradoxwiki and steam pages are a bit too dry to get a feel for what they are going for.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

aphid_licker posted:

Is there a basic comparison somewhere of what MEIOU and taxes does differently than Veritas et Fortitudo? The paradoxwiki and steam pages are a bit too dry to get a feel for what they are going for.

This is actually one of my main complaints about EU4 mods in general, I'd love to have a look at some of them but most of them do such a piss poor job of explaining what they do that I don't bother trying.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Groogy posted:

Huh.... interesting....

Hey groogster, would it be possible to add a message setting that informs you when a country changes its opinion of you (ie, friendly, neutral, hostile, etc)? There's a fairly high degree of unpredictability to it, so being alerted when someone decides to start hating your guts or become available for an alliance would be really useful. TIA

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Fister Roboto posted:

Hey groogster, would it be possible to add a message setting that informs you when a country changes its opinion of you (ie, friendly, neutral, hostile, etc)? There's a fairly high degree of unpredictability to it, so being alerted when someone decides to start hating your guts or become available for an alliance would be really useful. TIA

I see why not, would probably put default setting to only show in log though. Actually double check that there isn't already in the message settings.
Which reminds me I really badly need to cloud sync message and mapmode settings

L0VE
May 3, 2010
Another alert that really should be amended is the one for when a tech gives you innovativeness. There is a grace period of like 3 months after the first nation has teched up, so others can get the +2 innovation as well. Thus I tend to wait for the ai to tech up first - yet there is no distinct alert for when the tech is picked / grace period starts ticking. Fortunately most ai tech up at 1 January every year, but its a hassle I could do without tbh.

Also what is up with innovativeness from ideas? I selected Economic before everyone else and got 7 innovation, which seems fair. But then tech 7 comes along and I see that pretty much any military idea would also give me innovation, which was pretty baffling, until I got to tech 10 and found that apparently not a single nation on earth had selected Innovative, Maritime, Naval or Quality! You can easily get 21 innovation if you're willing to select a rarer third idea group which is crazy. Especially since ideas don't seem to have a grace period, nor seem to be restricted to being first in your tech group which distorts the top innovation score for nations.

If you look around at nations first idea group, its pretty much only Economic and Diplomatic with close to zero military ideas, so you don't even have to get to tech 5 quickly if you can forego those two for 7 innovation.

In my current game I'm sitting at 46 innovation, with Ottomans at 20, Mantua at 12 and Venice 10. To be fair I've had really great rulers, but I could be equal with Ottomans from just picking idea groups with very little effort. Really hoping they revise the system to make it more competitive at the top.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I still can't believe that they went with "innovativeness", it sounds loving rediculous

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

L0VE posted:

Another alert that really should be amended is the one for when a tech gives you innovativeness. There is a grace period of like 3 months after the first nation has teched up, so others can get the +2 innovation as well. Thus I tend to wait for the ai to tech up first - yet there is no distinct alert for when the tech is picked / grace period starts ticking. Fortunately most ai tech up at 1 January every year, but its a hassle I could do without tbh.

Also what is up with innovativeness from ideas? I selected Economic before everyone else and got 7 innovation, which seems fair. But then tech 7 comes along and I see that pretty much any military idea would also give me innovation, which was pretty baffling, until I got to tech 10 and found that apparently not a single nation on earth had selected Innovative, Maritime, Naval or Quality! You can easily get 21 innovation if you're willing to select a rarer third idea group which is crazy. Especially since ideas don't seem to have a grace period, nor seem to be restricted to being first in your tech group which distorts the top innovation score for nations.

If you look around at nations first idea group, its pretty much only Economic and Diplomatic with close to zero military ideas, so you don't even have to get to tech 5 quickly if you can forego those two for 7 innovation.

In my current game I'm sitting at 46 innovation, with Ottomans at 20, Mantua at 12 and Venice 10. To be fair I've had really great rulers, but I could be equal with Ottomans from just picking idea groups with very little effort. Really hoping they revise the system to make it more competitive at the top.

Innovative ideas always give you innovativeness, but the other three can be explained by how the AI selects idea groups. Basically those three groups have very low weighting, so it's not a huge surprise that nobody would select them.

Also I would never, ever pick Maritime or Naval ideas for just 7 innovativeness. That's 0.7% mana cost reduction. In a lot of cases you won't even notice it due to rounding.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

aphid_licker posted:

Okay I got V&F moving, which was a bit of a drag - had to fart around in the mod file to fix some syntax. It has a whole bunch of added loving bits and pieces over vanilla, but they don't seem to particularly impact the experience or even the fuckin game. It feels like playing a much slower, less streamlined and user-friendly vanilla. You can sorta see what they were going for but I don't really feel like I'm doing anything fun or interesting. Given what lengths they had to go to to pressgang a sort of UI for their mechanisms - they use pseudodecisions as menus with like four levels of submenus, which is positively nightmarish - they really should've cut a lot of fat.

They have a very nice dynamic stability system that I'd like to see in vanilla where stuff like being at war with negative warscore makes your stab tick down and government buildings make it tick up and a whole litany of other factors both ways.

MEIOU won't update to the latest version somehow, it should be at 2.5 and it is at 1.99 or something. I'll try to figure that out later.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
I miss the days when naval combat was "bring more heavies." Also, I just had a naval battle that lasted more than two years. I feel like the system could use a tweak.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I really like the Stellaris font mod but is there one which also changes the body text in event pop ups? It's too small.

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!
So what are the must have DLCs? I stopped at Art of War. So I haven't played for a while. Nvm OP has it

Tiger Crazy fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 9, 2018

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the indian elephant cav are so huge hhahaha

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

This thread title doesn’t fit the metre as well as the old one did :(

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

This thread title doesn’t fit the metre as well as the old one did :(

It's still really good though! :v:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

How about "welcome to Deccan"?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Fun times with missions: turns out that both the Ottomans and Mamluks get mission claims on bits of southeast Anatolia, so it's totally possible to have both of them loving hate you at the same time if you start with your capital there. I'm AQ and I have just about managed to hold the Ottomans at bay but I know that eventually they'll both jump me at once and I'm mega hosed, I allied Poland but then they got invaded and went 2k into debt in like 1480 so they're not actually going to do anything for ages, and everything to my east is a total clusterfuck (though annoyingly this game has the strongest AI Persia I have ever seen, we basically split QQ between us and they also got all of the good Persian provinces already)

It's just frustrating because I spent the entire game trying to be friends with either the Ottomans or Mamluks and I could totally be the kingmaker between them but the AI is very insistent that it completes its missions apparently.

It's a really fun start though, if only because you can get a gigantic amount of manpower and manpower regeneration bonuses and between that and the "pull cavalry out of your rear end" special power it's quite novel being able to run a full manpower based army this early in the game (though your economy is flaming garbage until you conquer Tabriz)

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I halted my WC attempt. Its 1670, my France has united the HRE as vassals, has a bunch of (sometimes conquered) colonies all over the globe now. No nation can match my 200k strong army and the game suddenly became boring as gently caress.

Struggling against other nations is fun, struggling against the clock is... Not.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Yeah I've recently hit 80% of the achievements and I still don't have the WC one. I've started a couple of attempts but I just get incredibly bored long before finishing. I doubt I'll ever actually do it.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Wafflecopper posted:

Yeah I've recently hit 80% of the achievements and I still don't have the WC one. I've started a couple of attempts but I just get incredibly bored long before finishing. I doubt I'll ever actually do it.

Same. I've got like 1500 hours logged and still haven't even conquered all of Europe, never mind the world. Looks rather tedious. I'd rather just keep trying for weird little particular goals.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
I've had EU4 for ages but I only just got round to playing a game through to the end for the first time, as Muscovy > Russia. Not particularly impressive given what you can do with Russia but I'm happy with it for a first attempt, and there's some interesting AI stuff -- Aq Qoyunlu for whatever reason became Coptic, formed Persia and went on to conquer most of the Middle East. I also like that Ming ended up surviving to the end as an OPM in Taiwan.

Khiva, the Mamluks and the OPM Syria are my vassals; Cathay and Venedia (the peach thing in Poland I was planning to feed but never got round to) are client states.

I lucked out with a few very good rulers that let me keep up in tech despite being consistently very late to all the institutions. Looking back though I think I was way too cautious about fighting more than one war at the same time, and ignoring my navy probably slowed down my expansion quite a bit.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

:eyepop: Somewhat anticlimactic end to the European religious war in this timeline

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

nimby posted:

I halted my WC attempt. Its 1670, my France has united the HRE as vassals, has a bunch of (sometimes conquered) colonies all over the globe now. No nation can match my 200k strong army and the game suddenly became boring as gently caress.

Struggling against other nations is fun, struggling against the clock is... Not.

You made the right call, it gets even more tedious when you're just waiting out the truce timers on the nations too big to gobble in one or two wars.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

If you're doing a wc lategame you don't wait for truces anymore lol

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah if it's past 1700 on a going-well WC I think you should just charge ahead and eat the penalties

I think

I haven't actually done a WC because I don't like a grind

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

jeez, I've got 1000+ hours in this and only have ~30% of the achievements. You guys are machines.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

1200 hours and only ever reached the end date once

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Starting to feel real happy with how the AI deals with India now, fingers crossed a tweak later won't make the AI completely screw up everything.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

1200 hours and only ever reached the end date once

A lot of people are like this, apparently. I guess my average game completion is low since there's a lot of game I'll abandon in the first few decades, but once I start to get into a playthrough I usually see it through. Granted I'll usually slow down after I reach whatever my mid-game goal is.

It's definitely fun to go revolutionary and set up a bunch of client state republics everywhere like Napoleon or so on.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Groogy posted:

Starting to feel real happy with how the AI deals with India now, fingers crossed a tweak later won't make the AI completely screw up everything.

The coastal European patchwork looks pretty cool. And no big blob of Bahamis all over everything too. :)

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

mamluk ming

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Game ended with Ming being the defender in 3 Imperialist wars from European nations, they are not having a great time.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I finish most of my games. By finish I mean "hit the achievement/s I was going for and stop", reaching the actual end date is a loss condition

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I still need that "occupy the capital of a target of a revolution" achievement, because I never play until revolutions happen.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Huh, I've played to 1821 so many times I've pretty much forgotten to count at this point.
Still don't have the A little bit of patience achievement though

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Groogy posted:

Game ended with Ming being the defender in 3 Imperialist wars from European nations, they are not having a great time.

Eu4 emulated history. :v:

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1265971075

looks like EU4 is finally complete.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

brb just gonna ban this sick filth

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

replace map names with flags but keep the tortured and twisted placements that can happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Don't have a single achievement because I refuse to play with historical lucky nations