Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Llamadeus posted:

It should still be under warranty, right?

Indeed, awaiting a new one in the mail now. Should make the job easy, with just switching the box and not the cables. Hopefully the PSU did not take anything with it.

Thanks again guys, I will let you know how it works out after I get my new PSU and UPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
What is the current goon recommended UPS? I probably overlooked a thread or in the building megathread, but I didn't see anything. I know the tripplite 1500va were the previously recommended, is that still the care or is there something better? Trying not to spend boatloads of money.

Either that or should I just replace my swollen, old as gently caress APC 750 battery?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Gothmog1065 posted:

What is the current goon recommended UPS? I probably overlooked a thread or in the building megathread, but I didn't see anything. I know the tripplite 1500va were the previously recommended, is that still the care or is there something better? Trying not to spend boatloads of money.

Either that or should I just replace my swollen, old as gently caress APC 750 battery?

They last for ages if you regularly replace the batteries. If you're happy with your APC I'd replace the battery. If not I'd look at a cyberpower with sine-wave, 1000VA or higher.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

eames posted:

I have that exact model and it works well. It consumes less power than the larger models but the run time is extremely short. I had some problems with a small OEM PSU shutting down during power transitions but to be fair that was likely the 200W PC PSU not meeting the required ATX specs for hold-up time.
My Cyberpower is able to cold-boot beefy PSUs (850W in my case) off mains so it should be perfect for your inrush current problems.

Just to be specific, "that exact model" you have is the CYBERPOWER CP900EPFCLCD?

eames
May 9, 2009

Miguel Prado posted:

Just to be specific, "that exact model" you have is the CYBERPOWER CP900EPFCLCD?

Yes, the CP900EPFCLCD.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

eames posted:

Yes, the CP900EPFCLCD.

Awesome, thank you. I switched the PSU today and everyting seems to work perfectly. Just need to wait for the UPS before i try powering it on at home(Tested it at the office).

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
I told my fat girlfriend I wanted to bang skinny chicks and now I'm wondering why my relationship is garbage.
I'm losing my mind trying to find this cable:

I have this power supply and I'm trying to mount an SSD to it. However, my coworkers got a little overzealous with spring cleaning and threw out the original box plus the spare cables. I need a 6 pin power cable that ends in a female SATA power end. I can't find it anywhere, which leads me to believe that I'm wrong in thinking that's what I need.

If it matters at all, the hd attached to it now is an M2 so cabling wasn't an issue when it was built. I'm trying to add a second SSD.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Whats the deal with the cheap cheap video cards im seeing on amazon that will definitely blow up a computer? Like 1050ti for $85 lol

I don't want to buy one but i dont understand how theyre so cheap

E: wtf, this one says its not compatible with w10 lmao. What is this poo poo

Eachbid Video Game Graphics Card GTX 1050Ti GDDR5 4GB 128Bit PCI-E for NVIDIA Deforce https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D7B3FVM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_-eugBbFY1ZJSR

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

MTV Crib Death posted:

I have this power supply and I'm trying to mount an SSD to it. However, my coworkers got a little overzealous with spring cleaning and threw out the original box plus the spare cables. I need a 6 pin power cable that ends in a female SATA power end. I can't find it anywhere, which leads me to believe that I'm wrong in thinking that's what I need.

If it matters at all, the hd attached to it now is an M2 so cabling wasn't an issue when it was built. I'm trying to add a second SSD.

Searched "silverstone modular 6-pin sata cable" and found this, seems correct?

Statutory Ape posted:

Whats the deal with the cheap cheap video cards im seeing on amazon that will definitely blow up a computer? Like 1050ti for $85 lol

E: wtf, this one says its not compatible with w10 lmao. What is this poo poo

Eachbid Video Game Graphics Card GTX 1050Ti GDDR5 4GB 128Bit PCI-E for NVIDIA Deforce https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D7B3FVM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_-eugBbFY1ZJSR

It's a fake 1050Ti from a shady Chinese outfit, most likely. Probably has a Fermi chip with a hacked BIOS inside.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

MTV Crib Death posted:

Your only chance is contacting the manufacturer of your PSU and asking if they can send you a new one. Make sure to give them the exact model number.
Modular PSU cables are highly arbitary and pinouts can vary wildly between models and brands.

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
I told my fat girlfriend I wanted to bang skinny chicks and now I'm wondering why my relationship is garbage.

Eletriarnation posted:

Searched "silverstone modular 6-pin sata cable" and found this, seems correct?

Yes! This seems right. I was missing "modular" from my search terms. I must have searched "silverstone 6-pin SATA" a billion types. Thanks!

eames
May 9, 2009

Miguel Prado posted:

Awesome, thank you. I switched the PSU today and everyting seems to work perfectly. Just need to wait for the UPS before i try powering it on at home(Tested it at the office).

No problem. If your PC still shuts down on the UPS you may have to increase the sensitivity, the manual tells you how to do this.

I've been told to never unplug a running UPS from the wall socket for testing purposes because then it loses connection to ground and that's incredibly unsafe if something goes wrong.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Statutory Ape posted:

In the GPU megathread one poster just got a refund for the cheap GTX 1060 that was really a hacked GTS 460.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MTV Crib Death posted:

Yes! This seems right. I was missing "modular" from my search terms. I must have searched "silverstone 6-pin SATA" a billion types. Thanks!

Be extremely careful that you get the exact same cable for your model PSU. The pinouts are not standard at all and you WILL blow out your hard drive if you grab any modular cable that can fit in there.

If you want to be on the safe side I would plug in an old, unused drive you might have laying around before you plug in your regular drive.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Don’t plug in modular cables that aren’t specifically compatible with your PSU. Your poo poo will literally catch on fire.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

For fun im making a little gaming pc out of an old optiplex. Im at $280 out of pocket and its a complete system (if you dont count the kb/m i had kicking around)

Im guessing power will be at a premium between the 3000 series i5 and the gtx 1050 low pro im throwing in there. My question is if i throw in this little ssd i have kicking around to boot off of, will that change the power consumption to any serious degree? Going to run it with the spinner i have on there, at the same time.

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012

FCKGW posted:

Be extremely careful that you get the exact same cable for your model PSU. The pinouts are not standard at all and you WILL blow out your hard drive if you grab any modular cable that can fit in there.

If you want to be on the safe side I would plug in an old, unused drive you might have laying around before you plug in your regular drive.

Fallom posted:

Don’t plug in modular cables that aren’t specifically compatible with your PSU. Your poo poo will literally catch on fire.

Wee! This should be fun. Maybe I'll record it.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Statutory Ape posted:

For fun im making a little gaming pc out of an old optiplex. Im at $280 out of pocket and its a complete system (if you dont count the kb/m i had kicking around)

Im guessing power will be at a premium between the 3000 series i5 and the gtx 1050 low pro im throwing in there. My question is if i throw in this little ssd i have kicking around to boot off of, will that change the power consumption to any serious degree? Going to run it with the spinner i have on there, at the same time.

An SSD uses <5 watts of power. If you're riding that close to the edge it's gonna brown out the first time turbo kicks in.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MTV Crib Death posted:

Wee! This should be fun. Maybe I'll record it.

Check to make sure you have all your fingats before and after.

FSMC
Apr 27, 2003
I love to live this lie
I can't find any decent technical reviews/roundups of usb hubs. I've searched for a while but can't find anyone who is doing benchmarks of usb hubs. Am I missing something?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Fallom posted:

I should note that the cable I linked says it's sold by Silverstone and is "compatible with all Silverstone modular PSUs released after 2009" so unless that's fraudulent he should be OK.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Having been burned (:haw:) by the different pinout thing myself, I'll never trust anything again without a voltmeter.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
If you have a voltmeter, probably a good idea to do that yeah.

If you don't, probably a good idea to get one since they're cheaper than all but the shittiest PSUs and tend to last longer.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

FSMC posted:

I can't find any decent technical reviews/roundups of usb hubs. I've searched for a while but can't find anyone who is doing benchmarks of usb hubs. Am I missing something?

I don't think they get a lot of attention. The Wirecutter has a lot of guides on more obscure tech reviews/top suggestions, though, including usb hubs:
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-usb-hubs/

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Is there a reliable way to get a replacement IO shield for a given (modern) motherboard? In this case a z270 ASUS model

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

emdash posted:

Is there a reliable way to get a replacement IO shield for a given (modern) motherboard? In this case a z270 ASUS model

Not really, besides ebay. Most computers will be fine without one although you need to be really careful not to shove cables into the gaps in the case or let pets or children put appendages in the holes. It's also a potential source of electromagnetic inference which the grounded plate blocks, but with all the giant ungrounded plastic and glass windows on cases these days I don't think it's that big of a consideration. You could jury rig one out of heavy foil if you were so inclined.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

emdash posted:

broken motherboards are cheap on ebay so that other guy made a pretty solid suggestion imo

obviously just make sure it comes with the shield

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I would contact the manufacturer first

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Statutory Ape posted:

broken motherboards are cheap on ebay so that other guy made a pretty solid suggestion imo

obviously just make sure it comes with the shield

Yeah and even just the IO shields are up all the time. $15 seems steep to me but I almost never see them for less than $12:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-IO-SHIELD-for-ASUS-ROG-Strix-Z270E-Gaming-ROG-Strix-Z270-F-Gaming-ORIGINAL/
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-IO-Shield-for-ASUS-PRIME-Z270-A-PRIME-Z270-A-ORIGINAL-ONE-CLASS-A/302651557254

There's a bunch of different Z270 boards produced by ASUS so just search for the right one with "io shield."

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Two questions:

I almost spilled my drink into my computer with top ventilation AGAIN and I'm loving done with this since I'm too clumsy to keep using this case safely. I currently have this. The plate with the ventilation is removable. Is there a way to seal it to keep water from getting in or should I get a new case? This is hurting me since this is a great case other than me being terrified of destroying my computer.

I've got a 250 gig SSD that I've been meaning to plug into my computer for....awhile now. I'm planning on using the SATA drive I'm currently using for everything for storage while the SSD handles Windows/whatever. As of right now I'm using Windows 7 but I want to upgrade with the SSD. Do I upgrade to Windows 10, then add the SSD or do I add the SSD now and then upgrade? I really only care about my license carrying over.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Dogwood Fleet posted:

I almost spilled my drink into my computer with top ventilation AGAIN and I'm loving done with this since I'm too clumsy to keep using this case safely. I currently have this. The plate with the ventilation is removable. Is there a way to seal it to keep water from getting in or should I get a new case? This is hurting me since this is a great case other than me being terrified of destroying my computer.
Silverstone has exactly the case for you :v: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Af6bhAkZF0&t=614s

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

I'm tempted and not just because there's a reason why I have a washable keyboard.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
put your computer up higher than your drinks. wow.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

LRADIKAL posted:

put your computer up higher than your drinks. wow.

the downside of a great fractal design atx case is that it is way too heavy to put on my desk.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Two questions:

I've got a 250 gig SSD that I've been meaning to plug into my computer for....awhile now. I'm planning on using the SATA drive I'm currently using for everything for storage while the SSD handles Windows/whatever. As of right now I'm using Windows 7 but I want to upgrade with the SSD. Do I upgrade to Windows 10, then add the SSD or do I add the SSD now and then upgrade? I really only care about my license carrying over.
Go to your local makerspace and see if thry can cut you an acrylic panel that matches the bolt pattern, get some bolts from lowes, and go nuts

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Spill proof cups:
https://smile.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&field-keywords=spill%20proof%20cup&index=blended&sa-no-redirect=1

Aside from putting a panel on top maybe keep your drinks on the other side of the desk or just don't drink and compute. Only drink while driving.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Clone the old drive to the new drive, then upgrade that.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i just did the clone thing using macrium and it worked muy bueno

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Macrium owns, especially that option to add it to the boot menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

You can also still just do a Windows 10 clean install on a new drive with a Windows 7/8.1 key. No need to go through cloning or upgrading an old install you don't care about.