Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Sassquatch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh

This made me laugh. A lot. :golfclap:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

She lost the weight so she could go gently caress a Bigfoot or something and is now suing to prove it was real?

:psyduck:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Whatever motivation she needed to lose the weight, she got. Good for her.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The government’s lawyers are loaded for bear.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/evanserytv/status/1005855176362688512

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

But how many calories were burned?
somebody had to say that.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1005914691976220676

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_bfXyD3zWU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMHt481HsFU

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Dominos is now fixing potholes to save their pizza. You can call a hotline and submit your road.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/jalopnik.com/dominos-is-fixing-americas-crappy-roads-for-pizza-safet-1826736405/amp

#AmericasCrumblingInfrastructure
#Dominos2020

E: #TheHeroWeNeed

Scathach has a new favorite as of 22:10 on Jun 11, 2018

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I never really thought about it before but are private citizens/organizations allowed to fix roads when they're government property?

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

BattleMaster posted:

I never really thought about it before but are private citizens/organizations allowed to fix roads when they're government property?

I mean, technically, probably not, but they're (most likely) not going to prosecute someone for filling a pothole.

It's even better than those places where someone paints a dick around a pothole because, while the pothole isn't an emergency, apparently a Krylon Cock on the pavement is.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BattleMaster posted:

Dominos is contracting with local government.

Dominos gives them cash, and the roadworks department does the paving and puts up Dominos advertising.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Scathach posted:

Dominos is now fixing potholes to save their pizza. You can call a hotline and submit your road.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/jalopnik.com/dominos-is-fixing-americas-crappy-roads-for-pizza-safet-1826736405/amp

#Dominos2020

oh my god the libertarians were right

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

cock hero flux posted:

oh my god the libertarians were right

This is some Pre Snow Crash poo poo

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

You know your country has problems when a pizza chain does more for it than your politicians.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Scathach posted:

You know your country has problems when a pizza chain does more for it than your politicians.

Maybe North Korea opening a McDonald's isn't such a bad idea after all.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Wake me up when Karl's jr. Marines have stopped a school shooting.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Scathach posted:

#Dominos2020

I'm fairly certain KFC did something similar in Chicago like almost a decade ago.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Wake me up when Karl's jr. Marines have stopped a school shooting.

looking forward to the first time a burger king SWAT team arrests a school shooter and drops him off at a mcdonald's

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Scathach posted:

#Dominos2020

I don't think its a coincidence that Domino's is based in Michigan, because our roads are an embarrassment. You would think domestic cars would be immune to potholes with the auto industry based here and testing on these roads.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Please :rolleyes: Domino's is clearly just following the trail blazed by anarchists.
https://www.citylab.com/equity/2017/03/portland-anarchists-want-to-fix-your-streets-potholes/519588/

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Possibly a slight derail but I remember hearing that here in the states roads are constructed/fixed in such a way that necessitates it being done semiregulalry (instead of a more permanent fix) so that road crews have something to do. Anyone know enough about road construction to weigh in?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

That's absurd. It's probably more that the cheapest short-term option is chosen even if it becomes more expensive (requires more work) long-term.

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 20:43 on Jun 12, 2018

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

SilkyP posted:

Possibly a slight derail but I remember hearing that here in the states roads are constructed/fixed in such a way that necessitates it being done semiregulalry (instead of a more permanent fix) so that road crews have something to do. Anyone know enough about road construction to weigh in?

Utterly untrue, but I've heard it too from the far right. It's part of the whole "wasteful big government" propaganda complex.

Pavement design lifetime is actually based on cost analysis. You go with the approach that minimizes costs over the analysis period, which is usually around 40 years or so. General guidelines from USDOT are here. All the analyses are public record, too, so you can wander by the local transport agency and get copies if you're so inclined. Nobody ever does unless they need it for homework, because the analyses are boring as gently caress.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

SilkyP posted:

The regularity of repair depends on the municipality. Around here, there are a few months a year when asphalt isn't available, so it's difficult to patch. New potholes crop up in winter due to frost heave, then they need to be filled in after the last frost or else they'll recur shortly thereafter. Many potholes can't be fixed by patching, though - the issue is deeper down, and the roadbed itself has to be re-laid in order to ensure good pavement quality.

You have smaller municipalities with small budgets that can only afford to pave a certain amount of road a year, and they pick the worst segments each year. Larger agencies can keep up with their paving, decide when to do rehab vs. replacement, and send around the pothole patching or crack sealing crews every spring to touch up places that won't be getting re-paved soon. However, with more roads to maintain, they can sometimes overlook lower-volume roads unless there are a series of complaints coming in.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
From what I understand, at least locally, some extreme weather patterns are also taking a bigger toll on road conditions than what was projected with normal weather. So flooded and frozen roads got worse than the budget allowed, and repairs got delayed by a combination of lack of funding and the fact that these problems hit major, regularly maintained roads about as bad as local roads.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

This Guy Served His Friends Tacos Made from His Own Amputated Leg

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1006656531797041153

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
WaluigiPost strikes again.

Waluigi is a kindred spirit to Jeff Bezos.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/shark-head-found-impaled-on-australian-fence-1866009

:wtc:
:australia:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

“Hey, just so you know, I pooped you out. Sorry.” :burger:

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

That’s cool and all, except for the whole thing where everyone’s brain becomes Swiss cheese if the guy got unlucky and had an uncurable disease that occurs spontaneously and shows no signs for decades. (Probably one in a billion with muscle, but I’ll stick to my bird meat, thank you.)

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Double Punctuation posted:

That’s cool and all, except for the whole thing where everyone’s brain becomes Swiss cheese if the guy got unlucky and had an uncurable disease that occurs spontaneously and shows no signs for decades. (Probably one in a billion with muscle, but I’ll stick to my bird meat, thank you.)

that's if you eat the brain

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Grognan posted:

that's if you eat the brain

Leg tacos for everyone!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002