Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Gewehr 43 posted:

What happened?

Nothing catastrophic; just isn’t as neat as I want it to be. Basically I used Tamiya masking tape, then cut it along the struts and it looks a bit shaky. For reference, this is on a 1/48 F4U Corsair, so it may just be that the lines aren’t as well defined as they should be. I’d post some pics but I’m leaving for Disneyworld in about 45 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
On my 1:72 mosquito, I hand pained without masking, and then cleaned up any mess with an expensive Tamiya q tip thing dipped in some thinner

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
If anyone is looking to buy any of the fabled Winsor & Newton Series 7 brushes, I found what may be the cheapest price on the internet. Jacksons Art Supplies in London has the whole range starting at £6.42 for the smallest brush. They've also got free shipping on brushes if you spend more than £20.

If you're in the US, it may be slightly cheaper to get them on Amazon, but the main seller of them on Amazon is Jackson. And if you're in Canada like me, it's definitely cheaper to buy from Jacksons direct since the cheapest I could find them up here was $20 for a 000, and then the price just skyrockets from there.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Whoa, these guys are cheaper than Blick. Even the Raphael 8404's are cheaper.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I thought sable brushes couldn't be imported to the US because of ~reasons~. (?)

http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/2014/07/kolinsky-sable-brushes-banned.html

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Gewehr 43 posted:

I thought sable brushes couldn't be imported to the US because of ~reasons~. (?)

http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/2014/07/kolinsky-sable-brushes-banned.html

Weird. Blick has been selling them in the US, both online and in their retail stores for a long time.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yeah, I don't know the whole situation, but I know technically sellers can continue to sell what they had in stock before the ban. Which means I'm sure a lot of retailers saw the ban coming and bought a gross of brushes that will last them for years, or are getting around the ban by saying "We'll, we placed 20 years of orders ahead of time, so technically these were ordered before the ban."

As for personal use, it's technically banned in the US, but the only way anything would happen is if yours was one of the packages pulled from random inspection, and even then the inspector would have to notice or care what the brushes are made of. There are millions of "banned" products, so inspectors are only keying on obviously banned products, and in the case of animal products, things like full animal pelts and the like. Even if the brush says Kolinksy Sable right on it, the inspector would even have to know that a sable is an animal. For all they know Kolinksy Sable is some foreign persons name, or "sable" is the quality of the brush. Same reason so many technically banned products enter the country all the time, because they're never inspected, and if they are the inspector doesn't know what they're looking at.

EDIT: And doing a little research, it seems like the ban is simply because sable was added to the CITES list of protected species. Which means you can still harvest from those animals, but you have to have a certificate for import/export of said animals. So as long as the brush maker issues CITES certs with their export, everything should be fine.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 8, 2018

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

If I get arrested by ICE, I'm blaming you, Hedgehog.

Update on the P-47D Razorback. Weathering and fading with oils on the left wing and fuselage.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

EdsTeioh posted:

Nothing catastrophic; just isn’t as neat as I want it to be. Basically I used Tamiya masking tape, then cut it along the struts and it looks a bit shaky. For reference, this is on a 1/48 F4U Corsair, so it may just be that the lines aren’t as well defined as they should be. I’d post some pics but I’m leaving for Disneyworld in about 45 minutes.

Spray/brush down a clearcoat of Future or some other gloss varnish after you've masked. It'll seal the edges of your tape.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

This is the starboard side of the Bluenose. I finished planking up the hull last night. While time consuming due to the large number of planks used, the process was pretty straightforward. Bluenose has lovely lines and while it was time consuming due to the sheer size of the hull, the process was pretty straightforward and only required a pair of stealers (these are trimmed planks inserted to cover a void left between two planks when they won't quite lay flush alongside one another properly). I am really pleased with the job I did fairing (the process of sanding the edges of the frames that the planks attach to to ensure the planks lie smooth) the bulkheads before I started planking; I haven't seen any unwanted bulges or dips in the run of the planks on either side. This being said, I think I could have done a better job with the bearding process (in which a channel or rabbet is cut into the false keel to allow the appearance of the planks attaching directly to the keel as in a real ship). I don't think I cut it quite deep enough or removed enough material around the sternpost, but c'est la vie. I was still able to make it work, just with a lot more individual trimming and sanding of each plank.

And this is the port side. It's gotten a sanding and filling pass and is quite smooth, though some minor divots and dents still need to be filled in and re-sanded. The next step will be to finish the starboard side in the same way, then trim and taper the keel as needed, then it's onto the decks for shits and grins.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Hull is looking good!

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Beautiful job. She looks stunning.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Presenting the USS Chevalier (DD-451) in 1/144 scale. Finished her up last night to wrap up about 6 months of steady building. This is the platinum edition of the Revell Germany kit that came with a crazy amount of photo etch. While not perfect, I'm really happy with the way it turned out, especially for my first attempt at a ship. It's really interesting to me how the build process differs from subject to subject. With tanks, you build everything then paint. Airplanes are a mix of build/paint/build/paint. Ships get everything built as subassemblies, painted, then stuck together. Having rigged a relatively few lines on this thing I cannot begin to fathom how tall-ship builders do this. I seriously have a new-found respect for you guys.

Anyway, there are additional comments and thoughts in the Imgur album.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Fantastic looking build!

Two comments - The search light lenses. Should the outer rims have been painted? They look odd to me with the clear wrapping around the edges like it does.

Second, and this one is on Revell, not you. The whole davit/boat assembly for the two boats just aft of the bridge looks like they just tossed them in as an afterthought with none of the detail that the rest of the kit has. They just look wrong and could have used some love from Revell to make them match the great detail of the rest of the kit.

Overall, great though, certainly would not have guessed this was your first ship build, as it all looks great including the rigging!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I just got one hell of a kit at a show. It came in a shipping box, so I don't know what company it was made by. Inside was an instruction manual and two "pancakes" of slightly warped resin parts. There are two guns in the kit.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Uh... have fun with those resin pancakes?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

I just got one hell of a kit at a show. It came in a shipping box, so I don't know what company it was made by. Inside was an instruction manual and two "pancakes" of slightly warped resin parts. There are two guns in the kit.

Literally a garage kit.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I can sympathize, I just discovered the vinyl tracks Trumpeter gave this kit has an issue:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Nebakenezzer posted:

I can sympathize, I just discovered the vinyl tracks Trumpeter gave this kit has an issue:

I don't see the problem, you got extra tack links right on the hull :downs:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
That is why I avoid vinyl tracks like the plague. I have never had an issue like that with link to link tracks, if anything I end up with a ton of spare track links.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I have never had that happen with a vinyl track that I didn't break myself...

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

You can also see the track on the far side has the same problem

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I even had this issue with Bronco tracks. For a relatively high quality kit, there is no excuse to have tracks that bad. I feel like it's done on purpose to make you pay separately for an aftermarket link to link track kit that they (and only they) make.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Arquinsiel posted:

I have never had that happen with a vinyl track that I didn't break myself...

I've had that issue with most of the 1:72 tanks I've built. The only 1:35 kit where I've had that problem is that ancient Tamiya panther, so I assume it's at least part a function of how long it sat on a shelf.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

While we're on the topic of tanks. Some of you may remember the insanity that is Miniart, who like to do ultradetailed tank kits with full interiors featuring up to 2000 parts.

They have now fully embraced their madness and will be releasing a what if series, starting with a "soviet sphere tank", which must be seen to be believed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXkNjRU1hoc

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Greyhawk posted:

While we're on the topic of tanks. Some of you may remember the insanity that is Miniart, who like to do ultradetailed tank kits with full interiors featuring up to 2000 parts.

They have now fully embraced their madness and will be releasing a what if series, starting with a "soviet sphere tank", which must be seen to be believed.

Some nights I dream about quitting my job and just spending a year building one of those super-detailed as gently caress tanks.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I finished my F-14A, and only broke off all the side steps! :D Also messed up on the 2 on the right side, but overall pretty happy with how it turned out with it being my first modern anything and first jet.

https://imgur.com/a/0NGY40d

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Greyhawk posted:

There is a completely 100% serious historical book called Stalin's Steel Balls that describes actual spherical tank projects, including this one.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

There is a completely 100% serious historical book called Stalin's Steel Balls that describes actual spherical tank projects, including this one.

Maybe we should take it to the milhist thread but...I have questions :stare:

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Gewehr 43 posted:

Presenting the USS Chevalier (DD-451) in 1/144 scale. Finished her up last night to wrap up about 6 months of steady building. This is the platinum edition of the Revell Germany kit that came with a crazy amount of photo etch. While not perfect, I'm really happy with the way it turned out, especially for my first attempt at a ship. It's really interesting to me how the build process differs from subject to subject. With tanks, you build everything then paint. Airplanes are a mix of build/paint/build/paint. Ships get everything built as subassemblies, painted, then stuck together. Having rigged a relatively few lines on this thing I cannot begin to fathom how tall-ship builders do this. I seriously have a new-found respect for you guys.

This is beautiful work. I really appreciate how consistent the photo etch details (railings especially) look as it is easy to dent and mangle those when handling the model. I'm seriously considering what my next kit will be when I am done the Bluenose and I am thinking hard about either one of the Canadian patrol frigates or one of the four-stack destroyers done up as one of the RCN's units.

Rigging is something that is best understood as an iterative process. It's like eating a whale: it's too much to take on all at once, but you can manage it one bite at a time. When I was a kid, I hated doing it but as an adult I actually look forward to it-- I love getting the masts up and slowly watching the shrouds and stays (these are the usually black coloured standing rigging that give strength and support to the masts) take shape as the rigging comes together. Managing the kind of photo etch that you put onto that thing is likewise fiddly as all hell; you might consider taking the plunge into a tall ship kit of some stripe because you clearly have an eye for detail and you just might like it!

Kurvi Tasch
Oct 13, 2012

Thats von Derp for you!

Nebakenezzer posted:

Are you PLASMO?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJf0JjDS4Tg&t=571s

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Making metal mounting points, smart

Last night I took some vinyl tracks for a Jadgtiger I made a few years ago, and began to modify them to fill the gap. I think this tank is going to be posed in a little mud diorama

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Nebakenezzer posted:

Maybe we should take it to the milhist thread but...I have questions :stare:

There's a Nazi version called the kugelpanzer. I've been trying to find an affordable 1:35 kit of it for ages.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Put some zip ties around a golf ball.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Gewehr 43 posted:

That's beautiful.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Finished using oils on the upper surfaces of the P-47.

Before:

Gonna let the oils dry before I do a quick gloss and panel line wash before the final finish, and maybe some chipping on the no-step decals. Any feedback is welcome.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

So a bit of an oddball question. I've been commissioned to paint one of the Tiger Tanks featuring in Kelly's Heroes for future gaming event but I'm not sure what the correct colours are for it.
I know it's a blackish grey with a green camo pattern but that's about it really. Not sure which specific VMC tone is good for either of them and I haven't actually been able to find some decent guides on how to model one of them either.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Should have just built a Skaven Doomwheel

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cooked Auto posted:

So a bit of an oddball question.

:golfclap:

Cooked Auto posted:

I've been commissioned to paint one of the Tiger Tanks featuring in Kelly's Heroes for future gaming event but I'm not sure what the correct colours are for it.
I know it's a blackish grey with a green camo pattern but that's about it really. Not sure which specific VMC tone is good for either of them and I haven't actually been able to find some decent guides on how to model one of them either.

Important question: do they want an actual Tiger, or the modified T-34 used in Kelly's Heroes?

e: quick googling shows a black-green over lighter green stripes, maybe an olive drab

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Fearless posted:

This is beautiful work. I really appreciate how consistent the photo etch details (railings especially) look as it is easy to dent and mangle those when handling the model. I'm seriously considering what my next kit will be when I am done the Bluenose and I am thinking hard about either one of the Canadian patrol frigates or one of the four-stack destroyers done up as one of the RCN's units.

Rigging is something that is best understood as an iterative process. It's like eating a whale: it's too much to take on all at once, but you can manage it one bite at a time. When I was a kid, I hated doing it but as an adult I actually look forward to it-- I love getting the masts up and slowly watching the shrouds and stays (these are the usually black coloured standing rigging that give strength and support to the masts) take shape as the rigging comes together. Managing the kind of photo etch that you put onto that thing is likewise fiddly as all hell; you might consider taking the plunge into a tall ship kit of some stripe because you clearly have an eye for detail and you just might like it!

Thanks for the compliments. I can say that if I'd just done the base, plastic kit, it would've been an underwhelming and unsatisfying finished product. If you're going to do the Revell Flower class, I'd recommend some PE set for it - though I'm not sure off hand if they have a platinum edition. I'd have to imagine the injection molding wouldn't be all that great if the Fletcher kit was any indicator. Alternatively, I have been told that the PE in the kit is just rebranded Pontos stuff, so buying that individually may be an option too.

As to the rigging... I will probably need to look up some better methods before I tackle something like this again. This was a frustrating experience and there are some pretty ugly globs of CA glue scattered throughout. I can handle rigging aviation aerial wires no problem, but there's gotta be a better method for doing a lot of rigging.