Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

OneTruePecos posted:

Actually, of the different retail / food service jobs I was ever in, national auto parts chain was easily the best.

Oh, not gonna argue that. Generally customers are chill, occasionally have awesome rides that they'll bring up so you can check out and bullshitting with customers to build relationships is encouraged as long as its not going to interfere with work getting done. Generally you aren't working till stupid hours of the night, not much to do to maintain stock other than dusting every once in a while and of course basic cleaning tasks. Even the occassional odd ball part request can be fun. Its not everyday I get to try and source a part from a porsche warehouse in germany for some dudes old vw project car or track down a 1920s era starter for an american luxury brand that hasn't existed since the 50s.

But like anything, its balanced by the assholes who will treat you like poo poo for being retail. Like my personal favorite of a dude who delayed getting a new battery for four days, then came in while there was a hurricane passing by and we were under tropical storm conditions to get one and have us install it. He was oddly confused when I flat out refused to do it myself or send someone out to play with electrical components with it raining sideways. Or the dude who cussed me out for a solid 15 minutes because he called the other location in town for a part to be ordered in and showed up at our store to pick it up, while I was on the phone tracking down his part. Because of course this was my fault. And of course the cheap asses who expect stuff to cost what it cost 30 years ago or ask why the name brand part in your store with a lifetime warranty is double the price of the no name chinese part on amazon that doesn't even fit their car.

And of course corporate has their lovely policies made by someone who hasn't been in a store for 10+ years, or the rear end in a top hat that is supposed to be a support line tells you "Well you should already know how to do this" when you call trying to even figure out if its possible to have something set up.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

Elmnt80 posted:

But like anything, its balanced by the assholes who will treat you like poo poo for being retail.

For sure, it's still retail. My favorites were always the "they're all the same" clowns that would ask for an alternator for a Ford 302 and then try to hide the exact application from you for some reason. Then when they finally coughed up that it was an '78 F150 (or whatever), you'd find that there were actually four completely different parts that could apply to that make/model/year depending on which parts bin the plant had been pulling idler pulleys out of that week.

But by and large, the customer base makes or breaks retail, and good old boys working on their cars are actually about the easiest group in the world to get along with. If you want a truly poo poo customer base, work in a boutique computer shop. Good loving lord, that was dire.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The nut low customer base is probably Verizon/AT&T stores

Also low end chain restaurants like Applebee’s but that’s not technically retail

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Eric the Mauve posted:

Also low end chain restaurants like Applebee’s but that’s not technically retail

You sound like you play split hilo poker games. Or just lowball.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
Speaking of orders, oh boy, I got one yesterday.

Fellow associate stops me, says, "Hey man, you see this case of frozen mini-pies that were supposed to come in? They're a special order for a customer."

"When were they ordered?"

"I don't know."

"Which SKU were they?"

"Does it matter? We only have one of that type."

"We've got three. Is it a type we carry, or is it a special order?"

"I don't know."

Managers didn't know anything about it, either. The pies weren't on the truck, so we ended up having to order one of every SKU to make sure we got the right one for the customer. Good loving job whoever took down that one.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Speaking of orders, oh boy, I got one yesterday.

Fellow associate stops me, says, "Hey man, you see this case of frozen mini-pies that were supposed to come in? They're a special order for a customer."

"When were they ordered?"

"I don't know."

"Which SKU were they?"

"Does it matter? We only have one of that type."

"We've got three. Is it a type we carry, or is it a special order?"

"I don't know."

They weren't on the truck, so we ended up having to order one of every SKU to make sure we got the right one for the customer. Good loving job whoever took down that one.

Have fun explaining your future overstock and waste :v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

OneTruePecos posted:

For sure, it's still retail. My favorites were always the "they're all the same" clowns that would ask for an alternator for a Ford 302 and then try to hide the exact application from you for some reason. Then when they finally coughed up that it was an '78 F150 (or whatever), you'd find that there were actually four completely different parts that could apply to that make/model/year depending on which parts bin the plant had been pulling idler pulleys out of that week.

But by and large, the customer base makes or breaks retail, and good old boys working on their cars are actually about the easiest group in the world to get along with. If you want a truly poo poo customer base, work in a boutique computer shop. Good loving lord, that was dire.

I have strict orders from the boss to not hand LS parts to the people demanding parts for a small block chevy with no additional info. And I much prefer the random tuner bros to the old greybeards. Its a good day if I don't have to hear about how I probably don't know anything about cars unless the computer tells me it. Or about how modern cars are impossible to work on yourself. Usually a quivk retort of "I dunno, I work on my stuff without much issue at all." Usually shuts them up.

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

Elmnt80 posted:

I have strict orders from the boss to not hand LS parts to the people demanding parts for a small block chevy with no additional info. And I much prefer the random tuner bros to the old greybeards. Its a good day if I don't have to hear about how I probably don't know anything about cars unless the computer tells me it. Or about how modern cars are impossible to work on yourself. Usually a quivk retort of "I dunno, I work on my stuff without much issue at all." Usually shuts them up.

Yeah holy poo poo, SBC is a whole universe of engines and peripherals but for some reason people like to think every car GM ever made with a V8 had the exact same configuration as their C10.

One of the times I can remember a customer getting heated was when one of those greybeards you're talking about was asking for a set of points (this was 20 years ago), but he was talking around a wad of chew and/or ill-fitting dentures, and it sounded like he was asking for "seven points" instead of "a set of points". We went back and forth for a while with me trying to figure out why in the gently caress someone would buy seven ignition points at once. Like, either you think you need one per cylinder but somehow have decided one is still good, in which case: lol - or you're buying six to have in reserve, in which case: if you're burning them up that fast, something else is way wrong, my man!

Generally, the worst customers were some of the guys running their own "one step up from shade tree" garage / used car lot (although some of those guys were awesome). Just that awful combination of shady and also dumb that manifests itself as mean and nasty, and they would want us to make deliveries to take them a set of plugs or two oil filters. I didn't give a poo poo, because going on a ride through the country beat the hell out of standing behind the counter, but it drove the commercial manager nuts.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Applebee's might be worse, but I can tell you from experience that McDonald's and Pizza Inn have a more pleasant customer base than a PC parts shop. Restaurants employ way more coke fiends, but I'd rather work with coke fiends than deal with PC enthusiasts as customers.

OneTruePecos fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 11, 2018

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Eric the Mauve posted:

My store gets a little bit of everybody. Being in a midwest town ravaged by the opioid epidemic you’d think my worst customers would be druggies. No, they’re not customers. They just steal poo poo. The worst customers I get are the snooty rich asswipes who think I owe them everything because “they spend hundreds” in my store.

Pro-tip: It’s very hard NOT to spend hundreds of dollars in my store. Telling me that doesn’t change what kind of service I’ll give you.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

OneTruePecos posted:

Generally, the worst customers were some of the guys running their own "one step up from shade tree" garage / used car lot (although some of those guys were awesome). Just that awful combination of shady and also dumb that manifests itself as mean and nasty,

Repeated run ins with this exact clown was the reason I taught myself diagnostics. It makes interactions with legitimate real mechanics so much easier when I can describe problems in terms they'll understand and do preliminary work that they verify. I am of the firm belief that every grown rear end person needs an obd2 dongle and the knowledge of how to use it.

Not really retail chat I know but I have a few customers who work not only at a chain auto shop (as flat rate greasemonkeys) but retail level parts supply and the stories are pretty brutal. Crack a joke like "There's a clunk in the front end" and get a thousand yard, suicidal stare in response.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Eric the Mauve posted:

I saw an amazing bit of customer service in an AT&T store. I had a bit of a wait to get a phone activated, so I got to listen to one of the employees helping a decrepit Chinese man set up a phone, passwords for accounts and all. And I mean decrepit, the customer was well past "elderly", and had only limited English. The clerk was infinitely kind and patient, explaining things repeatedly, asking good probing questions, never a hint of frustration. I made a point of finding the manager and telling her that I'd hire that kid away right now if I had an entry-level gig opening up.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Occasionally we'll get people in with car trouble, and it's startling how many people won't even google their problems.

So many times people have come in and asked "is this the right coolant to put in XXXX car"

If you are asking this question to someone who is not a professional then you are way out of your depth already.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016

Zenithe posted:

Occasionally we'll get people in with car trouble, and it's startling how many people won't even google their problems.

So many times people have come in and asked "is this the right coolant to put in XXXX car"

If you are asking this question to someone who is not a professional then you are way out of your depth already.

That was me on Friday asking the cashier at 7/11 if coolant and antifreeze were the same thing and also where does it go

In my defense my phone was on 5%

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Because its a pet peeve of mine, do not dump conventional green coolant into a vehicle made after around 2004. Earlier for alot of brands. The silicates in conventional coolant will eat away at aluminum parts over time. Even better, it can react with the various hoat or oat fluids and cause problems like the notorious brown sludge dexcool (gm's bright orange coolant) is infamous for. Stick with an exact match wherever possible (g12++, toyota LL, fl22, dexcool, g05, etc), or if nothing else is available, universal coolant. And never use tap water. Distilled water only when filling a cooling system (unless an absolute emergency). Spend the extra now, save future you some money on repairs.

And for the love of god do not ever tell me that antifreeze is antifreeze or I will give a full hour long lecture on the differences between all the types we sell and maybe an extra hour on intro to heavy duty diesel coolants if I'm feeling extra frisky.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jun 11, 2018

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Are either of you female, or have you had female colleagues? I'm wondering if that would effect the nature of customer interactions.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Shugojin posted:

Have fun explaining your future overstock and waste :v:

I have now gotten six, six boxes of expired chicken. By the time we're into July I should be getting boxes that expired in June.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Are either of you female, or have you had female colleagues? I'm wondering if that would effect the nature of customer interactions.

Nope, I gots dangly bits between my knees. However, I do have several female coworkers, so I can confirm your suspicion that the customers are sexist as poo poo and much worse when in general when a female employee is helping them. The irony of this is one of the most knowledgable people in our store is the store manager, but people walk right by her to ask my dumb rear end questions.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

Ouch.

All seriousness, I don’t think the customers I get are that bad overall. Always a few crazies, but management will take my side over a customer pretty much every time.

I will say, having an Apple store across the street is a godsend though. Any hardware issues I can’t fix, for iPhones (75% of my customers) I send them over there.

mllaneza posted:

I saw an amazing bit of customer service in an AT&T store. I had a bit of a wait to get a phone activated, so I got to listen to one of the employees helping a decrepit Chinese man set up a phone, passwords for accounts and all. And I mean decrepit, the customer was well past "elderly", and had only limited English. The clerk was infinitely kind and patient, explaining things repeatedly, asking good probing questions, never a hint of frustration. I made a point of finding the manager and telling her that I'd hire that kid away right now if I had an entry-level gig opening up.

This is really common, I probably setup/reset 5-10 passwords a day. Most people just suck at it. And because it’s something to do with their phone, they think their phone carrier is the place to fix it (it really shouldn’t be). It’s just so much easier to reset the password than to explain to said customer “here are he steps to reset, please do this first, I shouldn’t do it for you.”

iCloud auto backups make that issue easier as well, and Apple has made password resets easier if you have the current device working.

Edit: on the subject of retail, my store got a nice perfect storm of staffing issues. We were already down 2 people that they decided didn’t need repacking until probably September, they decided to move our one worker to assistant manager at a different store, and it happened at the same week my one coworker decided to a transfer to a different store. Plus! The company has a mandatory week long training on the east coast that every manager has to attend, so we are down a manager every week this month.

So full staffing during Christmas is like, 9 reps to keep the store running. We were down to 7, and now we have 5. And instead of 3 managers, we essentially have 2. And to top it off, our goals are based on the number of reps, and they were nice enough to raise goals accordingly (divided by 5 people, not 7).

On the plus side, my overtime will be through the roof this month (6 day work weeks) , and essentially those raised goals will be pretty easy to hit. But yeah, fun stuff.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 11, 2018

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

OneTruePecos posted:

Applebee's might be worse, but I can tell you from experience that McDonald's and Pizza Inn have a more pleasant customer base than a PC parts shop. Restaurants employ way more coke fiends, but I'd rather work with coke fiends than deal with PC enthusiasts as customers.

:justpost:

It's obvious you need to vent.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Print shop nightmare customers are either people screaming in my face that they need these 50000 pages printed RIGHT NOW at 10 minutes before closing, idiots who can't figure out the self serve machines which are easier to use than the printers we sell on the other side of the store, or are entitled assholes who don't understand why I can't print those invitations plastered with copyrighted cartoon characters without a release from the copyright holder(s).

That said, we have 10 customers in my department that combined made up ~$200k of my department's ~$800k revenue last year. And all of them are more than willing to give us more than enough time to get things done. And I may have landed another one last night worth $50k+/yr just based on a rush job that I did. Which is nice when you consider I get a quarterly bonus based on profit.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

In any business it is generally true that about 5-10% of the customers provide 25-35% of the revenue. Those are the customers you bend over backwards for. If those customers want the manager to shine their shoes and polish their car, that's what the manager does. Funny thing, though: only a tiny fraction of the best customers are that demanding. Most of them are normal people who treat the staff in a polite, or sometimes outright friendly, way.

On the other end of the spectrum there are the worst customers, the bottom 10-15%, who produce nearly 0% of the revenue but demand to be treated like the best customers and eat up inordinate amounts of the staff's time, lowering the quality of service the rest of the customers get. Businesses should be actively looking to make these people their competition's problem. But I think we're still in an Information Age transition period where businesses (especially big businesses) are so terrified of negative reviews that they let these zero-revenue assholes hold their stores hostage.

Where customer service time and effort SHOULD be invested is in encouraging the 75% of customers who are just average customers to move into the Best Customers category. But in practice, almost all of it goes into appeasing the 10% who provide no revenue and demand endless attention.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
At my pharmacy there is one customer who pays for the entire monthly payroll for the pharmacy with just the profit margin on one of her monthly prescriptions. She is the nicest lady and has never given us any problems. We pander to her relentlessly, and we’re happy to do it. The assholes who treat us like slaves are basically paying us nothing compared to her.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Preechr posted:

At my pharmacy there is one customer who pays for the entire monthly payroll for the pharmacy with just the profit margin on one of her monthly prescriptions. She is the nicest lady and has never given us any problems. We pander to her relentlessly, and we’re happy to do it. The assholes who treat us like slaves are basically paying us nothing compared to her.

But you never know who's going to be the lucky winner to develop a sweet, sweet chronic disease to keep your pharmacy kicking, so better be nice to everyone

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

The store manager was female, the commercial manager was female, the parts driver before me was female, some of the counter jockeys were female. Nobody cared. If anything the customers were more likely to be a little more polite with the women, but that was it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

OneTruePecos posted:

The store manager was female, the commercial manager was female, the parts driver before me was female, some of the counter jockeys were female. Nobody cared. If anything the customers were more likely to be a little more polite with the women, but that was it.

Very interesting- now I want to compare where you and Elmnt80 worked. Retail Sociology Mysteries!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

OneTruePecos posted:

Curiously, my experience in hotels was the opposite, rear end in a top hat customers (mostly female) were assholes to the females on the desk way more than the males

Age is the starkest thing though. Customers who like being bullies seek out young employees like guided missiles and tend to steer clear of older employees when possible. This seems to be true no matter how old the customer is.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 11, 2018

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Very interesting- now I want to compare where you and Elmnt80 worked. Retail Sociology Mysteries!

I work for the green team in a twon on the dividing line between rural and suburbs with an insanely diverse range of stuff being repaired.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Daniel Bryan posted:

My store gets a little bit of everybody. Being in a midwest town ravaged by the opioid epidemic you’d think my worst customers would be druggies. No, they’re not customers. They just steal poo poo. The worst customers I get are the snooty rich asswipes who think I owe them everything because “they spend hundreds” in my store.

Pro-tip: It’s very hard NOT to spend hundreds of dollars in my store. Telling me that doesn’t change what kind of service I’ll give you.

Back when I worked at a chain pet supply store, we had a customer that would come in every few weeks and demand one of us be his personal shopper (it usually wound up being me because IDGAF about whatever poo poo he rambled on about-mostly how we had poo poo stock). He was rude af and would be rude especially if he had to wait for "service", which in a store staffed by oh 5 people, one of whom didn't/doesn't do poo poo, almost certainly happened. One manager said it was fine 'cause he spent money at our store (he'd spend maybe $150-250 at a time, if that).

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Oh boy, do I have a metric for you:

:airquote:Conversion Rate:airquote:, which tracks each staff member and the percentage of purchases which consist of fuel + any other item. I'm sure this will be a really useful way of tracking profit and not just another thing someone in management thought up to attempt to justify their pitiful existence.

Also I just found out that our "absenteeism" metric tracks both sick days with a medical certificate and time off when close relatives die. And then takes points of our store for it.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Corporate policy is the devil.

The vast, vast majority of these policies come from people who have never actually worked a store, or did so a long, long time ago, to the point where all their memories are as hazy and dim as the froze-over lighting fixtures in my freezer.

As a for instance, our company rolled out a policy for cashiers where they're supposed to stand at the head of their lines. I've complained about this before, and I'll complain about it again because we've recently put up a bunch of propaganda reminding employees about corporate policy. The posters have the pictured employee standing at parade rest. For some loving reason.

Let's talk about all the reasons why this is loving stupid.

1. If you're standing at the head of your line, you're not standing on the ergonomic mats that are placed behind the register. You can't lift one foot and rest it on a low shelf. You can't do that little hip-lean thing you do when, goddamn, your feet hurt from standing for seven or eight hours.

2. You can't do work in the lulls. This means you can't refill the cigarette racks or put away the new ones. You can't get a head-start on cleaning. Can't refill candy. Can't answer the phones.

3. You can't see the front doors, to say, keep an eye on who's coming in. Or greet people, if you're like that. No, the first thing people see when they walk in is your backside.

4. Customers are idiots. People will come in for say, cigarettes, then walk up behind you, stand in front of your register, and say nothing. People will walk up to you and ask if you're open. You're better off just being behind the til because if you aren't poo poo at your job, you can easily get people's attention by making eye contact, gesturing, or saying your open. If you want to make absolutely certain customers will go to a line, turn the light off and try to walk away. They'll line up four deep and ignore the other registers.

It's such a stupid rear end rule that it is entirely ignored by the CSMs who aren't gung-ho lifers. Still, I'm glad I'm not a cashier.

Anyways. I bring up corporate policy because tonight, even the grocery manager was complaining about it. Why? New policy. Outs can only be counted at night. Why? Who the gently caress knows. Note, this is COUNTING, not ordering, not filling, just counting. Instead of actually filling the holes while we're slow, he got to walk around the entire store going, "Yup, that's a hole."

This means there will be more holes on the floor tomorrow, because he had less time to do actual work, which means the store manager will force order more poo poo, which will create more backstock, which will complicate inventory, etc, etc.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Clearly you need to prioritize and multitask better. The problem isn’t the task, it’s you! At least according to one of my idiot staff pharmacists, who repeats that poo poo like a mantra in the most condescending tones imaginable when techs try to explain to her that they can’t be answering phones and helping three different patients and filing and filling and processing immunization paperwork all at the same time, and that trying to do everything just means that nothing is completed in a satisfactory fashion, and maybe she should try to do something, anything at all maybe.

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010

Elmnt80 posted:

Nope, I gots dangly bits between my knees. However, I do have several female coworkers, so I can confirm your suspicion that the customers are sexist as poo poo and much worse when in general when a female employee is helping them. The irony of this is one of the most knowledgable people in our store is the store manager, but people walk right by her to ask my dumb rear end questions.

I don't have dangly bits and work in an oil change shop as an assistant manager. Want to talk about dumb questions and lack of Google Fu? Dear Gm gently caress your "dextros" requirement up the rear end. Also dear Jeep thanks for moving all your vehilces to 0-20 full syn requirements. Yes rear end in a top hat you must put in the mfg recommended oil even if it's a loving lease. Especially if it's a loving lease because we report to Carfax! Do you have an extra four Grand lying around to cover it when they say you have to replace the motor when you turn it in because your rear end can't reseach the maintenance for the loving vehicle you're leasing???? Yes I'm a girl. I have tits. Yes I know about your car. That newbie tech over there...knows dick but sure you can talk to him and get all the information I'm gonna feed him. Ahhhhhhh gently caress you!!!!!!! Also Ford/Lincoln 0-20 for you too??? Really?? Thank you for making my life more difficult with these old fucks who don't understand that poo poo and engine technology changes!! Ahhh so yeah it's been a long loving week. Also check your loving cabins people. gently caress you gently caress your car and your everything. I. Hate. All. Leases!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Corporate policies make a lot more sense once your brain gets warped enough to yield to the warm embrace of full cynicism, and you realize that their primary purpose is to ensure that anything that goes wrong can be blamed on store managers and their peons, and so that everyone’s performance always sucks (which throttles raises).

It also helps identify the store managers who are ambitious to move up (because they will zealously seek to enforce corporate policies where other managers will overlook them in favor of getting work done). But that’s not the purpose of the policies. It’s a happy side effect.

Corporate knows you’re not going to follow this and that policy an inch further than you have to. That’s the entire point.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Hoooooo boy.

My company in particular is known for grinding away constantly at up selling. No matter what customers buy, you are always, no exception supposed to offer them a random piece of poo poo too.

In the newest bit of insanity though, now every single feedback form that doesn't specifically say that yes, they were offered a random extra piece of poo poo to buy gets printed, time and date stamped, and if you were working the shift the transaction took place in, you have to offer an explanation in writing as to why they weren't up sold to.

Get.

hosed.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Zenithe posted:

Hoooooo boy.

My company in particular is known for grinding away constantly at up selling. No matter what customers buy, you are always, no exception supposed to offer them a random piece of poo poo too.

In the newest bit of insanity though, now every single feedback form that doesn't specifically say that yes, they were offered a random extra piece of poo poo to buy gets printed, time and date stamped, and if you were working the shift the transaction took place in, you have to offer an explanation in writing as to why they weren't up sold to.

Get.

hosed.

Haha, holy gently caress. Every time I think it'd just be easier to go back into retail, something like this comes up and I'm reminded that it's still absolute hell, and I got out for a reason. I wonder how long the "If you agree to say I upsold you on the feedback form, I won't upsell you" line will hold until someone does it to a secret shopper.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Oh yeah, at my place if you do not upsale you will be given a strike, 3 strikes and you are written up and given a 3 day suspension.

Makes me glad all our secret shoppers seem to come in exclusively after 4 pm and I start my shift at 4 am

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
The good: So far nobody has called out sick in my department this week!!!!!!!!!!!!! It feels weird having a normalish week so far. Out of 22 stores in our district we keep getting #2-#10 sales increase compared to last year for our department which is drat good.

The bad: Today we had department inventory plus associate surveys plus having to lose time on doing those computer training modules to help us learn and understand stuff. These computer based training modules feel like something we took in 1990 in school to learn about computers or whatever else. It was time consuming and barely learned a thing because I was bashing the forward button to get done with it. Learning on the job is the only way to learn stuff.

The ugly: Learned that our remodel officially starts next week. I went through one at the last store and it sucked. I got transferred closer to home and got stuck having to deal with another one now. The floors are getting ripped up, everything is being rearranged, we're getting new cases, the store is getting a thing where you scan your stuff as you shop so you can pay and leave as soon as you get up front. I can understand how this might be good for Costco where they probably deal with theft less, but we're a typical grocery store, it's easier access for thieves to be dishonest and get away with stealing.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

ijii posted:

The ugly: Learned that our remodel officially starts next week. I went through one at the last store and it sucked. I got transferred closer to home and got stuck having to deal with another one now. The floors are getting ripped up, everything is being rearranged, we're getting new cases, the store is getting a thing where you scan your stuff as you shop so you can pay and leave as soon as you get up front. I can understand how this might be good for Costco where they probably deal with theft less, but we're a typical grocery store, it's easier access for thieves to be dishonest and get away with stealing.

You get no raise this year because your shrinkage was up 8%.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

Eric the Mauve posted:

You get no raise this year because your shrinkage was up 8%.
A raise? What's that? We're lucky if we'll get a 25 cent raise in a year. Also our bonuses are tied with percentage increase or decrease, depending on what metric. So if I can't decrease our shrink % versus last year, despite having an overall good shrink, I don't get jack poo poo. Unfortunately for me I'm following previous manager who is notorious for cheating. For example we're allotted $500 for sampling product to customers, but previous manager just scans out his throw-a-ways under sampling to cancel out shrink, which is against policy! Supervisor looks away because it makes his district look good. I don't do it because I've heard the occasional manager get investigated when loss prevention decides to check those things out.

The point I was making though is that I aint getting poo poo for a bonus this year because there's no way I can get better shrink numbers than the previous cheater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Got a line on a new job from a co-worker. A local plumbing company is looking for full-time apprentices to do plumber poo poo and HVAC. Someone in her family works there.

Full-time? A trade? Skills that will be in demand forever? :greenangel:

ijii posted:

A raise? What's that? We're lucky if we'll get a 25 cent raise in a year.

Between that and the remodel poo poo, I'm fairly certain we work for the same company if you're south east coast.