Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

vyelkin posted:

lol my dude i am not sure you want america's cheap milk and cheese

The milk is probably fine, but for a country that produces a truly ridiculous amount of dairy products our cheese game is wretched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
Try American milk. Try it.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I just wanted to say I did my part and voted for the most cspam candidate, Lyra Evans a formally homeless trans woman.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

Im good thanks

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

That hormone laden poo poo that's like 20% pus by volume?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
lookin forward to the 270% Canada Dairy Tarriff that makes 3.50 milk 9 loving dollars to buy

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
That's a helluva gimmick

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
FORD isn't trump he's more trump's laughingstock side trying to emulate trump's scary demagogue side

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

1997?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Canadians don’t drink American milk

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

admins or mods or iks or maybe all of them can change reg dates and were doing it pretty often in cspam a while ago

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
American milk tastes so loving bad

I drink like four litres of milk a day and I drink approximately so zero when I visit the states

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Vintersorg posted:

Who drinks milk anyway?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

american cows don't even produce milk bags, it's disgusting

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich
wow if you guys feel so strongly about the benefits of supply management maybe you should teleport yourselves back to Russia in the 90s

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I guess the Great Depression is distant enough history that we're itching to repeat it the way we are Nazism, sure.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Dinosaurtrain posted:

wow if you guys feel so strongly about the benefits of supply management maybe you should teleport yourselves back to Russia in the 90s

dyk the us subsidizes its dairy industry to the tune of 3/4 of returns

makes u thkn

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Dinosaurtrain posted:

no we just feel strongly about lovely milk

it's all we have dinosaurtrain

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Kly posted:

admins or mods or iks or maybe all of them can change reg dates and were doing it pretty often in cspam a while ago

Looks like it is back to the posting mines for me.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Vintersorg posted:

...but they would if it came in bags

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich

sliderule posted:

dyk the us subsidizes its dairy industry to the tune of 3/4 of returns

makes u thkn

so I was just :thunk: and I thought wow were getting a really lovely deal if us milk is that highly subsidized and a block of cheddar costs me 10 bucks

Canadians can't even protect trade properly lmao

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Dinosaurtrain posted:

so I was just :thunk: and I thought wow were getting a really lovely deal if us milk is that highly subsidized and a block of cheddar costs me 10 bucks

uh now we have FORD so our trade is invincible, you idiot, you loving moron

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
My point was Canadian milk and cheese are tasty while the US products are disgusting. I'm not looking supermarkets being flooded with cheaper lower quality products because lower prices.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

My point was Canadian milk and cheese are tasty while the US products are disgusting. I'm not looking supermarkets being flooded with cheaper lower quality products because lower prices.

congratulations, you understand more about why tariffs exist than donald j trump

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dinosaurtrain posted:

US dairy is highly subsidized, poorly regulated, and still manages to lose money for all dairy farmers who aren't giant agro-conglomerates to the point that there's an epidemic of dairy farmer suicide going on, but hey I get to buy a gallon of garbage milk for 99 cents

Canadian dairy is highly subsidized, decently regulated, and provides a good living for small Canadian dairy farmers, but oh no, I have to spend $4 CDN to buy a gallon of decent milk

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

vyelkin posted:

US dairy is highly subsidized, poorly regulated, and still manages to lose money for all dairy farmers who aren't giant agro-conglomerates to the point that there's an epidemic of dairy farmer suicide going on, but hey I get to buy a gallon of garbage milk for 99 cents

Canadian dairy is highly subsidized, decently regulated, and provides a good living for small Canadian dairy farmers, but oh no, I have to spend $4 CDN to buy a gallon of decent milk

i dont know wtf a gallon is but milk is a dollar a liter which is cheaper than gasoline or coca cola

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

sliderule posted:

i dont know wtf a gallon is but milk is a dollar a liter which is cheaper than gasoline or coca cola

A gallon is close to 4 liters. I'm not sure I'd trust a 25-cent liter of milk to not kill me.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

25¢/litre "milk"*

*Milk-style animal byproduct

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 13:18 on Jun 11, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

oh, and the worlds shittiest plastic, labeled "cheese", only $2/400g

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich
in conclusion gently caress America because they are holding back our greatness in dairy

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'll keep my Saint-Guillaume cheese thank you very much.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

infernal machines posted:

oh, and the worlds shittiest plastic, labeled "cheese", only $2/400g

pretty sure they have to spell it with a 'z' when they sell that poo poo, or just put an explosive warning on the box like they do with velveeta

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Most of large-diary in Canada is importing whey powder from the States because it's not considered diary under tariffs and using it to make your cheese. Go artisanal or die.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Dinosaurtrain posted:

in conclusion gently caress America because they are holding back our greatness in dairy

you got it backwards. read this article because its hilarious

https://www.theguardian.com/world/commentisfree/2018/jun/09/milk-canada-us-trade-war

quote:

Meanwhile, just across the St Lawrence river in what free-trading Americans like to call Soviet Canuckistan, the dairy industry is thriving like never before – and like none other in the developed world. Family farms milking an average of 80 cows each have prospered under a heavily regulated system that supports prices at sustainable levels by restricting domestic overproduction and keeping imports at bay. In 2016, Canadian farmers received an average price of C$0.79 a litre for milk, compared with C$0.49 on average for US farmers.

Canadian milk is protected and thriving.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
The US government subsidizes diary farmers with 22.2 billion in handouts a year lmao

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Literally everytime this happens it's to an industry the government subsidizes heavily because whoever is in the oval office is hoping the votes and lobbying cash will be worth the slap on the wrist from the WTO.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

DariusLikewise posted:

The US government subsidizes diary farmers with 22.2 billion in handouts a year lmao

sounds like a waste of money just as much as us farmers dump out all their overproduced milk, its insanely american to waste money on anything

cont. from article:

quote:

As a recent visitor to Wisconsin, “America’s Dairyland”, where low prices are forcing the closure of hundreds of dairy farms a year, Muirhead said he encountered no resentment against Canada among local farmers. “The president of the Wisconsin Farmers Union told me that what they really wanted was a supply-managed system like ours,” he said..

why?

quote:

Supply management enjoys strong government support in no small part because the policy obviates the need to subsidize farmers directly in the manner of the US and the EU – the two greatest culprits behind the current world dairy glut.

“The system works so incredibly well,” said Bruce Muirhead, associate vice-president and professor of history at the University of Waterloo. “And the big thing about supply management is that it doesn’t cost the government a cent. Consumers pay the full cost of production.”

Lastgirl has issued a correction as of 20:49 on Jun 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

It was hilarious the first time at a gourmet cheese shop in the US I saw a block of Black Diamond because lol, that's like cracker barrel level quality cheese in Canada

fake eta: yeah I know that is also a Canadian brand!