Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Noirex posted:

Did anyone legitimately want this?

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I've never been less excited for a game.

I love when the initial announcement was made that it's a multiplayer game you saw the handful of cheering people surrounded by others who were totally stone-faced.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

I feel like the game can be played as a traditional fallout game. At least thats what they impiled. So I guess that means there are towns and NPCs somewhere... they heavily implied a plot.

no they implied that the only other humans in this part of the wasteland are other players

oh wait no they didn't imply that they actually straight up said, "The only other people are other players"

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Bert Roberge posted:

If there isn't at least one Mothman reference I will be disappointed.

Granted, Point Pleasant is in the western part of the state and I guess this is on the eastern panhandle.

one of the new mutant things they showed was very mothman

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

If F76 is always-PvP and I can't lock random idiots out of my instance, hard pass.

I don't want another H1Z1/RUST where if you're not in with a pack of goons rushing pubbies then you'll have no fun because gently caress you, nukes. I don't want to fight ~~dozens~~ of other players for poo poo, I ant to have my pals drop in so we can gently caress around together.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Noirex posted:

Did anyone legitimately want this? I've only ever heard cries for better writing, story lines and quests. Maybe voluntary co-op with friends. But why do it like this? Is there going to be micro transactions to make more money off the Fallout name? I just don't understand what the long term gain is out of pissing off a majority of their player base.

A weird Borderlands/Fallout 4 mashup with a dash of The Division's Dark Zone that I can play with my brother? Yeah, I'm willing to try something new. I think it all depends on how they pull it off. I played Borderlands as a single player game and enjoyed the hell out of it. I don't see Bethesda doing any worse.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Doorknob Slobber posted:

no they implied that the only other humans in this part of the wasteland are other players

oh wait no they didn't imply that they actually straight up said, "The only other people are other players"

But that confuses me because he also said you can 100% play it by yourself like any other fallout game. So if that is true then I am confused at what you would do. Just build stuff?

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1006011354212208641

ouch.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Brother Entropy posted:

And one of the devs was wearing a Mothman shirt in that doc. They're leaning into the moth.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

But that confuses me because he also said you can 100% play it by yourself like any other fallout game. So if that is true then I am confused at what you would do. Just build stuff?

yep, like you can play ARK: Survival Evolved all by yourself.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Brother Entropy posted:

:hellyeah:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Noirex posted:

That's really disappointing. I mean yes capitalism and all that, but micro transactions for what? Weapons and outfits? Are people really going to pay $60 and micro transactions for Fallout of all things? After the fiasco that was paid modding?

I see you haven't heard of GTAO my friend

People will literally pay ten actual dollars to buy a hat functionally and aesthetically identical to any other hat in the game except this one is gold or has a leopard print or something

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Noirex posted:

Did anyone legitimately want this? I've only ever heard cries for better writing, story lines and quests. Maybe voluntary co-op with friends. But why do it like this? Is there going to be micro transactions to make more money off the Fallout name? I just don't understand what the long term gain is out of pissing off a majority of their player base.

Fallout is popular, survival games are popular, combine the two and slap some micro-transactions on it and you're going to make a profit. That's why this is happening.

It'll probably be pretty good for what it is, but it's not really what I was hoping for or something I'm personally interested in.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So how much you want to bet when you drop a nuke on someone that everything apart from player made structures stays glued to the ground and there's no terrain deformation because otherwise you might lose a skill magazine or bobblehead in the rubble?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

you can play it by yourself the same way you can play any other Always Online game by yourself, you do the exact same stuff you can do with friends but by yourself

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Like Liquid Communism said above, it's more "you can play by yourself" rather than "you're the only one there". The bombs either killed or mutated literally everyone else in the state. It's just you and the vault dwellers out there.

Can't wait to enter a server where everyone is called "WeedLordPGarvey69[racial epithet]" for the lawls.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
I like the little collector's edition Fallout army men.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

So how much you want to bet when you drop a nuke on someone that everything apart from player made structures stays glued to the ground and there's no terrain deformation because otherwise you might lose a skill magazine or bobblehead in the rubble?

The target list seemed to be actual structures, so I bet they'll have destruction. It just seems like base game structures would have to respawn eventually.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Listening to it again, he might just have been referring to Vault dwellers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxGorVTMDIU&t=8471s

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Bert Roberge posted:

If there isn't at least one Mothman reference I will be disappointed.

Granted, Point Pleasant is in the western part of the state and I guess this is on the eastern panhandle.

They've shown landmarks that are in all different parts of the state.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Somebody saying this is just Fallout:The Division and then going, “I’m excited to play something new” is really funny and very Bethesda.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like how their only "engine upgrade" appears to be slapping an ENB filter over things and upping the distant LOD. This game is going to chug like a motherfucker.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Didn't he say you can take your settlements "with you"?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
“I really don’t want another voiced main character in Fallout.”

Monkey’s paw curls ever so slightly...

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Sounds like Fallout Destiny with base building

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

Somebody saying this is just Fallout:The Division and then going, “I’m excited to play something new” is really funny and very Bethesda.

I mean, atm, imo, this seems less appealing than a hypothetical Fallout:The Division in some ways.

ZombieSupaStar
Mar 30, 2007

We have been around long enough to have seen the new generation of Fallout fans (3 and onward), recoil in horror as the franchise is changed out from underneath them.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Rinkles posted:

I mean, atm, imo, this seems less appealing than a hypothetical Fallout:The Division in some ways.

Yeah that would be blandly playable, whereas I think this is going to be something people either love or hate.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Fair enough, no I don't play GTAO type games so I guess I'm behind. I wouldn't be purchasing but I still hope it's fun and everything it promises to be.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

I like the little collector's edition Fallout army men.

Same, they'd be nice to have on my game shelf, but I don't want to pay 200 dollars for them.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Arcsquad12 posted:

I like how their only "engine upgrade" appears to be slapping an ENB filter over things and upping the distant LOD. This game is going to chug like a motherfucker.

Yes, the animations and models were still all jank and uuuuuuuugly.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I don't think this will be for me, but that's not the same as it being for no one.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

7c Nickel posted:

I don't think this will be for me, but that's not the same as it being for no one.

Yeah, there are definitely people who want this.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

7c Nickel posted:

No matter how much they tell people what kind of game it is, I bet a ton of people are going to buy it expecting Fallout 4 and the user reviews everywhere are going to be dogshit.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Doesn't seem like it is just a game like ARK. If it was I doubt they would have a crazy 200 dollar collectors edition.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Dan Didio posted:

I really want to just cross post arguments from the E3 thread of "Gaming today is horrible and stagnant! No one tries anything new!" vs this thread's "All I want is another iteration of Fallout 3/4! (Both of which sucked btw.) How dare they add new gameplay features I'm pessimistic about!"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Wolfsheim posted:

I see you haven't heard of GTAO my friend

People will literally pay ten actual dollars to buy a hat functionally and aesthetically identical to any other hat in the game except this one is gold or has a leopard print or something

GTA Online doesn't have any content that requires real money to purchase. They just let you spend real money on in-game money and make even a jacket cost $25,000+ to incentivize you to drop cash to avoid a grind.

MadJackal posted:

I really want to just cross post arguments from the E3 thread of "Gaming today is horrible and stagnant! No one tries anything new!" vs this thread's "All I want is another iteration of Fallout 3/4! (Both of which sucked btw.) How dare they add new gameplay features I'm pessimistic about!"

Actually what we want is another New Vegas, which was actually good.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

MadJackal posted:

Is making a Rust clone new?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MadJackal posted:

This is literally running on the Fallout 4 engine with a graphics tweak. The interface is nearly identical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
My life doesn't hinge on this being a "proper" Fallout game so I'm excited to see what/how it's going to be, even though at the moment it doesn't look like my kind of game.