Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I've never used a water pan in my egg and now I'm starting to second-guess myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I used to use a water pan in all my cooks in my Webers but haven't done so in about 2 years and notice absolutely no difference other than having a big smelly loving pan of water I have to dispose of. The Pit Barrel has nowhere to put a water pan but I'm thinking of modding mine to put another 18" grate about 6" above the coals so I can place a drip tray to avoid that grease fog "old school" pit flavour so many love, but I have not been a fan of.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I use the water pan in my weber because it's easier to clean a big smelly pan of water than a smaller smelly pan of grease.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

What do you all think about this recipe for baby's first fish smoking?

https://www.traegergrills.com/recipes/seafood/smoked-salmon

I don't have a traeger, so I'm assuming the "smoke" setting is just a lower temp to smoke it for a bit without drying it out. Any thoughts on temp?

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Stringent posted:

I use the water pan in my weber because it's easier to clean a big smelly pan of water than a smaller smelly pan of grease.

I just lay down foil and crimp a lip up all around it and throw that out afterward. Why bother cleaning anything?

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 8, 2018

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I cook on an open grill and just lay down under it drinking the fat as it boils off the meat. No cleanup, no waste.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Isn't that where the beans go? :confused:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Internet Explorer posted:

What do you all think about this recipe for baby's first fish smoking?

https://www.traegergrills.com/recipes/seafood/smoked-salmon

I don't have a traeger, so I'm assuming the "smoke" setting is just a lower temp to smoke it for a bit without drying it out. Any thoughts on temp?

I can't say I have ever smoked fish with alcohol, just grilled with some other flavors. I'm sure that recipe is fine. Here's what I do, which gives me a normal and seasoned filet for some variety (even my weenie guests end up wishing there was more of the "spicy" one). I think the temps would work just as well for you, it cooks quickly so isn't in the danger zone for long:

Cure:
2 salmon fillets, skin on and pin bones removed
1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cups brown sugar
1/3 cups kosher salt
2 tablespoons crushed black peppercorns

From <http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-smoked-salmon-two-ways-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-174543>

Rub:
1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoons coriander
1 tablespoons paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
3/4 teaspoons kosher salt

Instructions
Baking sheet, foil, then plastic wrap to sandwich around the fish. Place rub, filet, rub, filet (if you bought the whole fish), rub, and then top with rest of wrap, foil, and another baking sheet. Then put weight on it and leave it in the refrigerator 10-12 hours. I did 10.

Rinse the salmon after 10-12 hours, rub the spicy section/filet with the rub.
Prepare the smoker for 150-160. BGE gets way too hot so cut way back on the fuel (light a tiny pile!).
I used apple, would also like to try pecan and cherry.
Smoke 1-3 hours until the filets are 140 degrees. Mine took about 2 hours.
Tent and rest 20-30 minutes while you finish up everything else.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hed posted:

Here's what I do

Thanks for this. So you don't always have to leave it out to form pellicle? I noticed both your recipe and the one I linked does not do that. That's mostly what I was looking to avoid, for simplicity's sake, so I may just give yours a shot. Thank you!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

VERTiG0 posted:

I just lay down foil and crimp a lip up all around it and throw that out afterward. Why bother cleaning anything?

I do this as well but I can't get foil large enough to not have seams so some fat leaks through. So I dump the water and replace the top level of foil. Feeds my newts.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Hed posted:

I can't say I have ever smoked fish with alcohol, just grilled with some other flavors. I'm sure that recipe is fine. Here's what I do, which gives me a normal and seasoned filet for some variety (even my weenie guests end up wishing there was more of the "spicy" one). I think the temps would work just as well for you, it cooks quickly so isn't in the danger zone for long:

Cure:
2 salmon fillets, skin on and pin bones removed
1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cups brown sugar
1/3 cups kosher salt
2 tablespoons crushed black peppercorns

From <http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-smoked-salmon-two-ways-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-174543>

Rub:
1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoons coriander
1 tablespoons paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
3/4 teaspoons kosher salt

Instructions
Baking sheet, foil, then plastic wrap to sandwich around the fish. Place rub, filet, rub, filet (if you bought the whole fish), rub, and then top with rest of wrap, foil, and another baking sheet. Then put weight on it and leave it in the refrigerator 10-12 hours. I did 10.

Rinse the salmon after 10-12 hours, rub the spicy section/filet with the rub.
Prepare the smoker for 150-160. BGE gets way too hot so cut way back on the fuel (light a tiny pile!).
I used apple, would also like to try pecan and cherry.
Smoke 1-3 hours until the filets are 140 degrees. Mine took about 2 hours.
Tent and rest 20-30 minutes while you finish up everything else.

Been doing my salmon with pecan or maple. Surprised to see you bothering with probing it.

You do not let the fish rest and get the pellicle going? I suppose if you are not planning on leftovers or long term storage you can bypass. If we end up getting one of the huge packages and know from experience we can be eating it for over a week, it's just something I have gotten in the habit of.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 8, 2018

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
I hosed up and forgot to let it get a pelicle one time and it was fine but it wasn't quite as smokey as the other times I had done it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Meathead is on team No Pellicle, fwiw.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Subjunctive posted:

Meathead is on team No Pellicle, fwiw.

:shrug:
It's just setting the salmon on a rack for a few hours after wrinsing off the brine. If I am pressed for time I skip it, but if it makes it more betterer, eh I just do it.

I have no idea who Meathead is. Isn't that Archie Bunker's son in law?
gently caress that hippy.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jun 9, 2018

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Mother fucker. I bought some really good fresh ribs yesterday and when I got home I felt a tickle in my throat, coughed and sneezed, and then immediately got loving floored by what I'm pretty sure is the flu. Everybody is like "It's just allergies" but I'm nauseous and fevery and achey so it's definitely something like a flu.

I'm not freezing ribs that were never frozen god damnit. I will cook those this week even if it kills me.

These ribs look seriously good, they weigh like 4 pounds and they're all meat, you can barely tell where the bones are.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Tumble posted:

Mother fucker. I bought some really good fresh ribs yesterday and when I got home I felt a tickle in my throat, coughed and sneezed, and then immediately got loving floored by what I'm pretty sure is the flu. Everybody is like "It's just allergies" but I'm nauseous and fevery and achey so it's definitely something like a flu.

I'm not freezing ribs that were never frozen god damnit. I will cook those this week even if it kills me.

These ribs look seriously good, they weigh like 4 pounds and they're all meat, you can barely tell where the bones are.

You're fighting the good fight.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Well, got my salmon in. Using the recipe Hed posted earlier (thanks again!) Forgot to take before pictures, but I'll definitely take after pictures. Using Pecan, since the wife wanted that over Apple and I don't have Cherry.

One lesson so far. My MES 30 will not produce smoke when set to 150-160. Previously I had been able to get it up to temp, throw the meat in, throw the woodchips in. Now I know to get it up to a higher temp, like 190 or so, then throw woodchips in to get them smoldering, then back the heat down to 150-160, THEN put the meat in.

No worries, live and learn. I purposefully didn't buy an expensive cut or amount of salmon since this was the first attempt.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Biggest thing about electrics it is basically an off an on switch.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I hot-smoke salmon at 225F and it turns out great, fwiw.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

I hot-smoke salmon at 225F and it turns out great, fwiw.

May have to try that next time. I didn't think 160 was too low, but now I know.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Biggest thing about electrics it is basically an off an on switch.

I'm not sure I understand. I guess you mean it's either at temp and smoking or not at temp and not smoking? If that's the case I might just spend the $40 for the cold smoker attachment.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 10, 2018

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Just get one of these and never look back.

http://www.amazenproducts.com/category_s/12.htm

I have never used actually fed chips into my MES30, used this from day one.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Folks we're humming along here with a 3lb pork belly slab.

It's gonna be served with a charred pineapple pico de gallo overtop, a la the recent All Things BBQ recipe, and grilled Mexican-style street corn (elotes). If I don't get too drunk, I'll try to get pics before I foil the belly.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Finished the salmon. It was great! Could have used some more smokey flavor, but I'll figure out a solution for that next time around. Still had a good amount of pecan flavor.

Moey posted:

Just get one of these and never look back.

http://www.amazenproducts.com/category_s/12.htm

I have never used actually fed chips into my MES30, used this from day one.

Thanks for posting this. I had heard these references but hadn't actually looked into them. Seem cool, but I just bought a bunch of woodchips. Might look into it later. In the meantime, I'm cool with cooking the fish at a higher temperature for now.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Finished the salmon. It was great! Could have used some more smokey flavor, but I'll figure out a solution for that next time around. Still had a good amount of pecan flavor.

Thanks for posting this. I had heard these references but hadn't actually looked into them. Seem cool, but I just bought a bunch of woodchips. Might look into it later. In the meantime, I'm cool with cooking the fish at a higher temperature for now.

Salmon looks superb! Very nice job.

The Amazen is great, and I love it in my MES. You'll love it if you get it.

That being said, you can get good smoke out of the MES at lower temps. The smoke production in an MES has nothing to do directly with the temp of the smoker, and everything to do with whether it is heating up or not. The chips are in a tray directly over the heating element. If you put the chips in before turning the MES on, you'll be smoking by 140 (assuming you are not in Arizona starting the smoker at 110 ambient or something.)

Putting a couple of trays or foil packs of ice in there will keep temps lower, and cause the heating element to stay on/keep kicking on, generating more smoke.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Doom Rooster posted:

That being said, you can get good smoke out of the MES at lower temps. The smoke production in an MES has nothing to do directly with the temp of the smoker, and everything to do with whether it is heating up or not. The chips are in a tray directly over the heating element. If you put the chips in before turning the MES on, you'll be smoking by 140 (assuming you are not in Arizona starting the smoker at 110 ambient or something.)

Putting a couple of trays or foil packs of ice in there will keep temps lower, and cause the heating element to stay on/keep kicking on, generating more smoke.

Thank you!

Interesting. I was kind of thinking the same thing when I started noticing the lack of smoke. I was thinking maybe I should just leave the door open for a bit so that the heating element kicks on. That's also why I had set it to a higher temp temporarily, thinking it would cause the heating element to run. Good to know that if you throw the chips in first that works. May be worth doing for a shorter smoke like fish.

Thanks all for the help and suggestions.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

Yeah I'm in CA and during the summer I can't do salmon in my MES because it's just too loving hot out already for the element to really have to do any work, I'm looking in to the AMNPS for that very reason.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Pellicle next time

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

How does the amazin pellet thing work.. do you light the pellets on your own? Does it just use regular pellets? I've got an mes and don't usually cold smoke or do anything low but if it holds enough for a long smoke I'd love to have my smoker be even more set it and forget it.

Also meh.com has the 2 probe older Webber igrill for $25+5shipping right now. I wish I knew what happened to my old one I got for free (got lost in a recent move) so I grabbed one.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
You use a stick lighter or a torch to light the pellets on fire at one end, let them flame for about 5 minutes, then blow out the flame. Depending on the model you get, the pellets then smolder for 6-12 hours.

So far I have only used the Amazen branded pellets. I'll let someone else who has tried cheaper/other pellets speak up about how that worked out for them.

Doc_Uzuki
Jun 27, 2007
I've had a MES30 for a few years now and I would like to start getting into using actually charcoal/wood. I don't currently own a charcoal grill but Aldi has an offset barrel smoker for $99 this week.

I realize that it will not be a very quality product. It's rebranded as a Range Master and I don't know who actually makes it. Does anyone have experience with one?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

May have to try that next time. I didn't think 160 was too low, but now I know.

I'm not sure I understand. I guess you mean it's either at temp and smoking or not at temp and not smoking? If that's the case I might just spend the $40 for the cold smoker attachment.

Was talking about the element in the MES in regards to its ability to smoke chips. The element is either on or off. Then there other things to consider, will the residual heat from the element be hot enough to cook the chips...etc. With that said, most people would be surprised how much their ovens fluctuate while they are on. Temp swings can be all over the place.

tater_salad posted:

How does the amazin pellet thing work.. do you light the pellets on your own? Does it just use regular pellets? I've got an mes and don't usually cold smoke or do anything low but if it holds enough for a long smoke I'd love to have my smoker be even more set it and forget it.

Pretty much. You looking at the tube or the maze? A tube will last 4 hours. The maze has more flexibility on what you are dumping in and how much but then have to worry about the fire taking the turn.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Doc_Uzuki posted:

I've had a MES30 for a few years now and I would like to start getting into using actually charcoal/wood. I don't currently own a charcoal grill but Aldi has an offset barrel smoker for $99 this week.

I realize that it will not be a very quality product. It's rebranded as a Range Master and I don't know who actually makes it. Does anyone have experience with one?

My advice is don't do offsets. They eat charcoal and trying to get consistent temps is near impossible.

Doc_Uzuki
Jun 27, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

My advice is don't do offsets. They eat charcoal and trying to get consistent temps is near impossible.

What would you recommend then? I'd like to be able to fit whole racks of ribs as well as a whole brisket without having to cut them up.

Doc_Uzuki fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jun 11, 2018

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Get the 22" Weber Smoky Mountain. Can squeeze 6 uncut racks of ribs in, or 2 bigass packer briskets comfortably, or 4 med/small briskets can get squeeeezed in there with just enough room for smoke to circulate if needed.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

Pretty much. You looking at the tube or the maze? A tube will last 4 hours. The maze has more flexibility on what you are dumping in and how much but then have to worry about the fire taking the turn.

Probably the maze. Although really is there any point to having smoke for more than 4 hours into most meats?

Can you toss regular pellets in or do you need amazn™©® brand pellets?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Is this what people mean when they talk about "reverse searing"?

https://imgur.com/gallery/yKDH6DU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Nah, that technique is called The Prolapse Method.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Trastion posted:

w ... t ...

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

stuff it with something the consistency of a turd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Trastion posted:

:suspense:

I mean, what could you possibly be doing with that?