Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
I'm the radio buttons for the acceptance of both T&C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

isn't that normal for sports bars? i thought they had to pay extra everywhere because it's different licensing (showing to a group of people publicly instead of just home use)

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

BattleMaster posted:

In Spain, bars and other public establishments have to pay in the region of €300 per month in order to show La Liga matches, whereas household packages range between €10 and €30.

:psyduck:

ate all the Oreos posted:

isn't that normal for sports bars? i thought they had to pay extra everywhere because it's different licensing (showing to a group of people publicly instead of just home use)

prices from 2015, left column is occupancy, price schedules are for one to five installments

sports bars use this as a sales point to customers, like you wouldn't find tori cmos in a bar that doesn't have 40 TVs, nfl sunday ticket, and per-table taps of michelob ultra

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
yeah. you can even put pay-per-view stuff up, it’s just expensive. like mayweather-pacquiao was $80 for a normal person (or at least the sort of person who can and will drop $80 to see manny pacquiao get his rear end kicked) but well into the thousands or even tens of thousands for a bar, depending on its size. apparently there is a formula based on the fire-code capacity; it was $6500 for a 200-person venue

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I thought it was really expensive but I guess in the grand scheme of sports it's cheap.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

ironkey: let's make a good, secure encrypted device

cool

ironkey: let's put vidalia and tor on it

wait no

client #1: i want the ironkey

no

client #2: i want hte ironkey

no

:bang:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/UID_/status/1005795008581169152

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I hope they gave them a disclaimer not to run it at night :ohdear:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

How many usb condoms would it take before you felt safe to plug that "gift" into your laptop?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Personally I hope someone dissects one of them to find out what it really is, and posts their findings

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

turns out it really is just a USB fan and they're very sorry the air conditioning at the hotel doesn't work

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

spankmeister posted:

I hope they gave them a disclaimer not to run it at night :ohdear:

lol

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

turns out it really is just a USB fan and they're very sorry the air conditioning at the hotel doesn't work
it's micro usb though

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Charging venues more per seat, rather then what you'd spend at home is super common in Boxing. It makes sense to an extent, but basically boils down to CAPITALISM.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

anthonypants posted:

it's micro usb though

lmao

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

anthonypants posted:

it's micro usb though

Magnificent

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

What are the odds that Trump immediately plugs it in

JK it's 1:1

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

no he has an Apple device now. those fans are for android phones.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Shifty Pony posted:

no he has an Apple device now. those fans are for android phones.

:jerkbag:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Do you think he won't try anyway?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i mean, from the picture it could also be usb-c. kinda hard to tell but it's definitely not mini-usb or usb-a

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

anthonypants posted:

i mean, from the picture it could also be usb-c. kinda hard to tell but it's definitely not mini-usb or usb-a

ugh i loving hate how there are 10000 plug shapes

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Krankenstyle posted:

ugh i loving hate how there are 10000 plug shapes

Look at this scrub who didn't have to deal with cellphones before the EU "suggested" standardization in 2009 forced everyone (except Apple) into USB of some kind.

You think there's 10000 plug types but literally every single phone had its own plug type, all of them incompatible, in the before times.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

lets say you are at the trump/kim summit

and someone recommends you buy a keyboard

what do u do?

if your answer is "slam my motha fuckin phone into that bitch like a pop tart in a toaster" then u are right!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Volmarias posted:

Look at this scrub who didn't have to deal with cellphones before the EU "suggested" standardization in 2009 forced everyone (except Apple) into USB of some kind.

You think there's 10000 plug types but literally every single phone had its own plug type, all of them incompatible, in the before times.

I'm aware

I have a huge sack of worthless cables & chargers somewhere, saved for some unlikely future need

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

anthonypants posted:

it says mini USB right on the bag and if you can't trust the packaging on cheap Chinese novelty electronics what can you trust?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

what do u do?

if your answer is "slam my motha fuckin phone into that bitch like a pop tart in a toaster" then u are right!

Incredible

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yup!

and when your phone's stolen they normally also get the phone number lovely sms-only 2fa goes to

so pin-lock your SIM and don't show texts before authentication (iphone x blocks this by default)

this is imo one of the best unsung features from android 5+. i set the default behavior to turn full-text notifications off, and if you have any truly sensitive apps you can hide lock-screen notifications from that app completely. i think most/all devices default to full-text showing all notifications though

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i looked closer and it's definitely USB-C, presumably so you can plug it in to your iphone which they show the picture of on the bag

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Lutha Mahtin posted:

this is imo one of the best unsung features from android 5+. i set the default behavior to turn full-text notifications off, and if you have any truly sensitive apps you can hide lock-screen notifications from that app completely. i think most/all devices default to full-text showing all notifications though

thats been possible in ios for several major versions as well

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

what do u do?

Other than it looking weird, is there a secfuck regarding that Logitech keyboard?

I guess I’m not getting something here.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

i looked closer and it's definitely USB-C, presumably so you can plug it in to your iphone which they show the picture of on the bag

the iPhone doesn't have USB-C

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jose Valasquez posted:

the iPhone doesn't have USB-C

:thejoke:

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

there should be an emoticon that combines :aaaaa: and :downs:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

is it the same hotel as DEF CON Beijing or something lol

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Reposting from SH/SC

Zil fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 12, 2018

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://twitter.com/lifewinning/status/1006546425323376642?s=20

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

aren’t there efficient ways to just hash variants and save them? I thought Windows did that for some things

Facebook hashes several variants of people’s passwords to reduce “you have caps lock on” friction. the math shows that the guessing space is still huge, and they limit attempts as well

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

aren’t there efficient ways to just hash variants and save them? I thought Windows did that for some things

Facebook hashes several variants of people’s passwords to reduce “you have caps lock on” friction. the math shows that the guessing space is still huge, and they limit attempts as well

what's more likely

1) "myPay," a dod system built by the lowest bidder, smartly stores passwords in a way to enforce policy with minimal friction
2) it's bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I just think the tweets are more strident than are deserved by the evidence. if a military contractor is going to get anything right, I think it’s going to be something with well-specified policy like password storage

• Locked thread