Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
You cant unlock stuff for other classes while playing in card quest right? I've tried rouge and fighter so far. rouge is pretty goddamn good...warrior is depressed because most of his basic cards cost so much and do so little. after playing a few more games i got berserker form which does reduce some of the costs warrior has to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
I don't think so, which is a shame. Rogue had a built in card combo engine that basically saw me cycling 20+ cards a turn, I got to the second last boss on my first run, a success I have not replicated with other classes

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Pladdicus posted:

another
I don't think so, which is a shame. Rogue had a built in card combo engine that basically saw me cycling 20+ cards a turn, I got to the second last boss on my first run, a success I have not replicated with other classes

seriously a 6 energy card for 2 dmg and weaken...and its supposed to be used in a chain to be better
another 6 energy card that goes from 4 to 6 damage and 7 energy cost if you chain it.
One good 6 energy card that goes to 10 dmg that one is pretty good but only in a chain.

the tactics engine for him is horrible considering he only has 3 cards to gain tactical points and even with hand mitigation to try to get the most out of his draw engine you wont be able to play the poo poo you draw.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

AkumaHokoru posted:

seriously a 6 energy card for 2 dmg and weaken...and its supposed to be used in a chain to be better
another 6 energy card that goes from 4 to 6 damage and 7 energy cost if you chain it.
One good 6 energy card that goes to 10 dmg that one is pretty good but only in a chain.

the tactics engine for him is horrible considering he only has 3 cards to gain tactical points and even with hand mitigation to try to get the most out of his draw engine you wont be able to play the poo poo you draw.

This is why berserker with hammer/flail/throwing axe is so good.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Just cleared the first pyramid in Immortal Redneck.

I had a ridiculously successful run in which, among other things, I got:
- +1 weapon slot
- extra jump, damage, speed, and accuracy
- always run
- extra life
- enemies visible on minimap
- two 2x critical rate scrolls, kicking my crit rate up to 84%
- critigold (crits dispense gold) and WHO (70% of dropped gold turns into health)

I also got three Blessing scrolls, which didn't matter because I didn't find a single bad scroll in the entire run. I completely steamrolled the game starting from about halfway through the second floor all the way to the apex boss.

And then I barely survived the boss, finishing the fight with my extra life consumed and 1-2 hits away from death. But I did survive, and walked away with ~35k gold, thanks to the "drops are worth more but vanish faster" medallion and finding the "lose 75% of your current health but double your current gold" scroll halfway through the run.

Then I walked into the second pyramid and got instantly turboganked in the first room. :gibs:

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

AkumaHokoru posted:

The hallmark of warrior is his really cheap defense and lots of stunning power. A lot of your defense cards actually generate cards and energy rather than costing anything. Other than that, it's just a matter of finding a weapon that suits each school.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
ahh I have nothing lol I got berserker last run so im gonna mess with that now

OH poo poo I didnt realize any left side weapon/armor upgrades are permanent i thought just the school.

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018

ToxicFrog posted:

Just cleared the first pyramid in Immortal Redneck.

I had a ridiculously successful run in which, among other things, I got:
- +1 weapon slot
- extra jump, damage, speed, and accuracy
- always run
- extra life
- enemies visible on minimap
- two 2x critical rate scrolls, kicking my crit rate up to 84%
- critigold (crits dispense gold) and WHO (70% of dropped gold turns into health)

I also got three Blessing scrolls, which didn't matter because I didn't find a single bad scroll in the entire run. I completely steamrolled the game starting from about halfway through the second floor all the way to the apex boss.

And then I barely survived the boss, finishing the fight with my extra life consumed and 1-2 hits away from death. But I did survive, and walked away with ~35k gold, thanks to the "drops are worth more but vanish faster" medallion and finding the "lose 75% of your current health but double your current gold" scroll halfway through the run.

Then I walked into the second pyramid and got instantly turboganked in the first room. :gibs:

Lol yea, they do a good job making the next pyramid enough harder that you’ll start from the bottom again. Eventually you go back to the first pyramid and it becomes so, so much easier with the upgrades.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

a_good_username posted:

Lol yea, they do a good job making the next pyramid enough harder that you’ll start from the bottom again. Eventually you go back to the first pyramid and it becomes so, so much easier with the upgrades.

I kind of appreciate how each of the three pyramids looks and feels different, and how the enemies aren't simply buffed (but identical)/palette-swapped versions of older enemies. I honestly expected to simply tackle three sandy-brown pyramids of incremental difficulty when I first began the game.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Tron pyramid was cool as hell.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Sacrificial Toast posted:

The hallmark of warrior is his really cheap defense and lots of stunning power. A lot of your defense cards actually generate cards and energy rather than costing anything. Other than that, it's just a matter of finding a weapon that suits each school.

For me, defensive fighter went from subpar to amazing once I unlocked the morningstar. Every attack doing 8-14 damage plus extra crowd control is fantastic.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Paladin with their ridiculous zero cost dodges and heal made warrior usable for me. It really depends on what you unlock first I expect (I just play blind in that respect)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
After playing Cultist Simulator for awhile, it's a pretty crap roguelike. The gameplay is purely "put these input into these processes, get these outputs" with very little deviation, and there's only like 5 random events to trip you up. Things have to spiral wayyyyy out of control for you to actually be in danger of losing once you figure out what all the inputs and outputs do. The only challenge in winning is that it takes loving forever.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

PostNouveau posted:

After playing Cultist Simulator for awhile, it's a pretty crap roguelike. The gameplay is purely "put these input into these processes, get these outputs" with very little deviation, and there's only like 5 random events to trip you up. Things have to spiral wayyyyy out of control for you to actually be in danger of losing once you figure out what all the inputs and outputs do. The only challenge in winning is that it takes loving forever.

Yeah, I wouldn't class it as a roguelike at all.

My thing with Cultist Simulator is that it feels like the real game is the puzzle in figuring out the UI and what does what and how the whole thing works, and then enjoying the ambience and the neat world-building.

Then you realize that to get more world-building/to advance in the game you have to play it for 5+ hours grinding things, and ehhh nevermind, you uninstall it and never play it again. (Or when it's got more DLC tucked into it.)

I like it, I don't regret backing it, and those initial hours of figuring it out are marvelous, but after that it's just not got much going on.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Not strictly a roguelike thing, but the Gearhead guy has made an adorable Papercraft model of one of the mechas in the Gearhead 'verse.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

My thing with Cultist Simulator is that it feels like the real game is the puzzle in figuring out the UI and what does what and how the whole thing works, and then enjoying the ambience and the neat world-building.

Then you realize that to get more world-building/to advance in the game you have to play it for 5+ hours grinding things, and ehhh nevermind, you uninstall it and never play it again. (Or when it's got more DLC tucked into it.)

I like it, I don't regret backing it, and those initial hours of figuring it out are marvelous, but after that it's just not got much going on.

Yeah it is fun for a good bit, reading all the lore and trying to figure out what the gently caress this stuff could mean.

I think it would be a good sale purchase for $5 in like a year when there's a fully-developed wiki, and whenever you hit a wall about what to do for longer than 15 minutes, you can go look it up. It would be GREAT if there were, like, actual gameplay to turning the inputs into outputs. Maybe a mini-game for each of the actions.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 11, 2018

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I kind of appreciate how each of the three pyramids looks and feels different, and how the enemies aren't simply buffed (but identical)/palette-swapped versions of older enemies. I honestly expected to simply tackle three sandy-brown pyramids of incremental difficulty when I first began the game.

Yeah, I had the same expectation and greatly appreciated the huge stylistic shift and brand-new enemy behaviours of the second pyramid.

I'm still not a fan of how much of a difficulty spike/gear check the bosses are, at least in the first pyramid, and I don't have a lot of confidence that my win was to any extent skill rather than grinding (incremental upgrades boosting my stats) and luck (that completely bonkers list of scrolls).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Contra Duck posted:

Writing scrolls of chaos resistance costs a decent chunk of mana, and I guess if you don’t have enough mana it takes out of your hp instead like it does for spells?

I thought it actually reduced the Mana stat. If you reduce a stat to below 1 you instead reduce potential, and if potential in a stat hits 0 you die.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

StrixNebulosa posted:

In their previous game Sunless Sea the way to deal with this was to edit the game's ini files so you could skip the hours of grinding and get to the story, so hopefully someone will figure out how to do that in this game.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Gobbeldygook posted:

In their previous game Sunless Sea the way to deal with this was to edit the game's ini files so you could skip the hours of grinding and get to the story, so hopefully someone will figure out how to do that in this game.

There's no figuring it out, there's a button in the options menu that opens up an explorer window to your plaintext save files. You can save scum, edit your table, or the decks cards are drawn from.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Thread non-favorite arena shooter Ziggurat is free on GOG today. I killed about 10 hours of moderately enjoyable time with it, though it is more like random Serious Sam as a wizard than a dungeon crawl or anything tactical.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

cultist sim is really good but expecting it to be a roguelike will be a bit of a stretch. and the main dev also directly told everyone how to edit stuff if they just don't want to have to worry about funds or whatever the hell.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

StrixNebulosa posted:

Not strictly a roguelike thing, but the Gearhead guy has made an adorable Papercraft model of one of the mechas in the Gearhead 'verse.

The Buru Buru is so dumb and goofy looking.
I mean that can be said for every mecha in Gearhead, but still.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yup, it's not a rogue like, seemed random enough but now that I've played it for ages it's definitely not.

Fun game to work out tho

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Dodgeroll, the Enter the Gungeon devs were absent from E3, thus no announcements. Since the Devolver insanity presentation they've said that it's almost done and will be out "In July".

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

StrixNebulosa posted:

Amazing story and ambiance combined with an dull, extremely grindy gameplay is basically Alexis_Kennedy.txt. He's a good game writer, but he needs a partner that can actually design the gameplay part of the game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Hey, Fallen London came out when "daily check-in browser-based RPG" was the Hot New Thing (who still remembers Forumwarz or Billy Vs Snakeman?), and it did the whole thing much better than the usual. Shame the Ambitions will never, ever get finished.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

PMush Perfect posted:

Hey, Fallen London came out when "daily check-in browser-based RPG" was the Hot New Thing (who still remembers Forumwarz or Billy Vs Snakeman?), and it did the whole thing much better than the usual. Shame the Ambitions will never, ever get finished.

Not really. Like, Nexus War / Clash predates Fallen London and has mass-scale PvP, territory capture, branching RPG-style classes, you know, actual gameplay. Fallen London is just a decently written VN that for some reason requires you to play Progress Quest to see what happens next.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm enjoying it, I think it'll be one of those things like Orwell where it's good for a playthrough or two. I feel good having got the "all DLC" version now as that'll bring me back to it now and then without any more outlay.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Jedit posted:

I thought it actually reduced the Mana stat. If you reduce a stat to below 1 you instead reduce potential, and if potential in a stat hits 0 you die.

they gently caress up your mana stat, but also they take pp and will deduct it from hp if you run out. dunno if the stat deduction happens first or not though, that could be pretty mean since tougher scrolls can take multiple points out of your mana score i think

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
wild

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah nexus war has been dead for quite some time

Shame really

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Wolfechu posted:

I'm enjoying it, I think it'll be one of those things like Orwell where it's good for a playthrough or two. I feel good having got the "all DLC" version now as that'll bring me back to it now and then without any more outlay.

Absolutely. Similar to Fallen London, even though the gameplay isn't my favorite, if they keep filling it up with stuff I will very happily return to it for more sessions.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Not really. Like, Nexus War / Clash predates Fallen London and has mass-scale PvP, territory capture, branching RPG-style classes, you know, actual gameplay. Fallen London is just a decently written VN that for some reason requires you to play Progress Quest to see what happens next.

The saddest thing about Fallen London is that I would pay them so much money for a visual novel of their game, one that streamlines the grind, removes the turn limit, and just lets me read it. It'd be the best thing, and it hurts that it will be forever locked away behind that turn limit - as even giving them money only lets you get a second candle.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

StrixNebulosa posted:

The saddest thing about Fallen London is that I would pay them so much money for a visual novel of their game, one that streamlines the grind, removes the turn limit, and just lets me read it. It'd be the best thing, and it hurts that it will be forever locked away behind that turn limit - as even giving them money only lets you get a second candle.

This is exactly how I feel. I love the story and flavor of their world, but I long ago reached the point where I would have to spend days to get small snippets of new gold to read over, and I just can't do the grind like that.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Absolutely. Similar to Fallen London, even though the gameplay isn't my favorite, if they keep filling it up with stuff I will very happily return to it for more sessions.

Very much this. I'm shaking my fist in impotent rage. The atmosphere and writing in Sunless Seas was right down my alley, but ten minute fragments is just not how I do books.

By the way: Opinions on Everspace?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
card quest randomly unlocked and re-locked a bunch of stuff and i have no idea what could have caused it but boy does having things ive earned taken away and things ive yet to earn just dropped in a massive heap on my head kill the joy of playing

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
battles of norghan is on sale for 5 bucks rn. i think it came up in the thread at some point despite not being super roguelikey? is it worth getting

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

The original Nexus War has been dead for ages. Nexus Clash is the unofficial successor (and runs on mostly the same code base) and while the current developer / admin is kind of a dumbass it was completely functional last time I checked it.

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!
So what's this thread's opinion on Bethesda announcing possibly the first two AAA rogue-adjacent games since Diablo? I'll admit I'm pretty pumped about the idea of having an Elder Scrolls roguelike experience on my phone, and that Prey roguelike mode DLC is the first time I've been tempted by DLC for aaaages. (though admittedly kind of makes more sense as a standalone spinoff or something but whatever)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

genericnick posted:

By the way: Opinions on Everspace?

I just bought Everspace since it was $10 on Chrono.gg a few days ago and I'm having a blast with it. Really fun to fly around, fight and loot stuff, and keep exploring while unlocking more crafting options. I was actually going to ask the thread if they have any suggestions how to unlock the various glyphs/is the expansion worth it.