Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Any gooners going to see Sleep tonight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Reminds me, Sleep added a second day in DC where they are playing the Holy Mountain through. But I'm going to the first night and Bongripper conflicts on the second night.

I feel like a couple years back they were basically just playing the meat of the holy mountain and dopesmoker?? So if that means the first night is the new record and dopesmoker I can live with that

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

nerve posted:

how far can we go before we find the only original artist

lmao if you still use sound to make music

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
been trying to convince myself otherwise for a few days now, but the new Yob is pretty boring

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

murked by dragon posted:

been trying to convince myself otherwise for a few days now, but the new Yob is pretty boring

Yep. Maybe Yob ain't my thing, I dunno.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Yep. Maybe Yob ain't my thing, I dunno.

same. they're great on paper, but... eh.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
They have some great songs and moments but a whole album of them is often a bit much. Really gotta be in the mood. My bandmates love them and they influence the songwriting so I appreciate them more these days but they’ve never been a doom favorite.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I Have Fought Against It, But I Can't Any Longer is really good. The Body honestly just keep getting better.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Yob were not at all my thing besides two or three songs until I saw them live.

If you haven't seen them live it's worth holding judgment until you have. Although it sounds like they've cut a lot of their back catalog in favor of the new album so who knows.

I believe it was their first Australian tour when I saw them so we got a best of set list that was over two hours long, but they sound much better live than on recordings because there isn't as much guitar layering since it's just not possible with just Mike on guitar, so the distortion is a bit heavier and it's not as muddled.

I wish the new album skewed more towards The Screen instead of Our Raw Heart in terms of songwriting though. Which is making me eager to hear bong rippers new album even more so. I just don't really feel like we needed another 5 attempts at the heavy beauty of Marrow, but I guess Mikes headspace was very different after nearly dying and being in hospital for a few months.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I would love it if the singer of bongripper actually wasn’t that into weed but does enjoy a nice White Zinfandel.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I thought the Bongripper guys were actually vegan teetotalers. Mainly remember that because it pissed off a friend of mine when he met them and found out they were 'false stoners'.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

singer of bongripper

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I am the singer of "bongripper" it's good work if you can get it

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

drat I finally get some Yob tickets right when they become the worst band ever. Anyone wanna buy em off me?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

lol

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

is it obvious i skipped listening to them ever because "oh great another weed band name."

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

It’s a horrible name, took me ages to listen to them because of it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

What does Bon Gripper have to do with weed :confused:??

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Vietnamese cellist Bo Ng Ripper

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Quantum of Phallus posted:

What does Bon Gripper have to do with weed :confused:??

Rip Bon :(

nerve posted:

Vietnamese cellist Bo Ng Ripper

lol

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

next time I see bongripper I will turn my back to them and yell weeeeeed so loud and so long that the encyclopedia metallum will have no choice but to make a page for me

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ingmar terdman posted:

next time I see bongripper I will turn my back to them and yell weeeeeed so loud and so long that the encyclopedia metallum will have no choice but to make a page for me

lmao

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Ingmar terdman posted:

:hmbol:

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

quote:

The name of the band itself is a parody on Sleep as cited in the following: "Nick came up with the name Bongripper as a joke one day after we decided that Sleep wasted 17 minutes of CD time with Dopesmoker. The name stuck since."

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Incredible interview with Sleep here

firebad57
Dec 29, 2008
This stoner/doom metal podcast - https://soundcloud.com/user-758985205/sets/podcast - is going to start doing a segment where they talk about listener-submitted bands (probably on Dope or Nope, if you've heard the show). Where (else) should "they" call for submissions? The plan was to post it in this thread, the Metal thread, and maybe the Doom Metal subreddit. Feel free to lmk other places to post it.

But yeah - feel free to drop a link to your stoner/doom band, and maybe two stoned idiots will talk about it on a dumb podcast.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Sleep was super good. Al Cisneros is too cool. Bell Witch was great too.

firebad57
Dec 29, 2008

Eat The Rich posted:

Sleep was super good. Al Cisneros is too cool. Bell Witch was great too.

Saw this show in LA - completely agree. I've really been enjoying Mirror Reaper, and I liked it even more live. Great vibes - and it's a brave thing to perform to a typical metal show audience, since it's SO loving SLOW. I thought it was super hilarious when ppl would yell enthusiastically during the quiet parts.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Hot Diggity! posted:

New Fórn coming out this year gently caress yes

Forn rules and I'd love to see them live some time.
They never come around here.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I saw Earthless last night and they freaking ripped, as always.

On my way to the show, I saw this marquee for a black metal band:

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Trabant posted:

Oh yeah, Blood Throne of the Elk Warriors, they're pretty good.

firebad57
Dec 29, 2008
New Fried Lightning episode is a 20 years of High on Fire retrospective, perfectly timed so that it was recorded before The Sciences was announced/came out and before we have a release date for the new HoF. Great job, boys - https://soundcloud.com/user-758985205/fried-lightning-podcast-ep-6-high-on-fire-retrospective

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I feel like YOB's peak came before they originally broke up, when Isamu was playing bass. Their songs were more varied during this period.

I wish they would write another fast song like Ether, it's been a favorite for a long time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkKFQxT84Pg

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Oh yeah, Blood Throne of the Elk Warriors, they're pretty good.

Uuhh that logo is clearly for Dachshund Evisceration.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Bongripper said there will be a tour-only version of the new album available so can someone make sure they go and grab one and send me whatever secret tracks are on it tia

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The tour only version is Acapella

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Get the gently caress in new Fórn ruuuuuuuuules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkr-rOWh2fM

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Trabant posted:

That's really closer to like a brutal death type band or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Trabant posted:

This is cracking me up every time I see it