Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

why is there masking tape around the marker?

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

Gavlan wheel, Gavlan deal

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Irradiation posted:

All national labs are turning into this because they are being run as for profit businesses so they have under qualified lower level people doing the majority of the grunt work because they have lower charge per hour rates to the projects.

Lockheed did a pretty decent job with Sandia for a couple decades: never had to furlough people during gov't shutdowns and IIRC they took less compensation than any other lab management company, even though SNL is the largest of the labs. They got outbid a couple years back by notorious fuckups Honeywell so it'll be interesting to see if Sandia goes to poo poo.

No idea what Argonne is like these days, although I'd say "ok but a shadow of its cold war self" is probably a safe bet.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm going to just assume that stops right before it becomes a steak sock puppet because i don't want to know what that man is going to do to that steak.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
like youve never had a steak so good you want to gently caress it

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Pham Nuwen posted:

No idea what Argonne is like these days, although I'd say "ok but a shadow of its cold war self" is probably a safe bet.

Yeah this is even being somewhat generous.

At least with the department's I know.

Irradiation fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 12, 2018

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

https://i.imgur.com/9woo3wg.mp4

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Not gonna lie, the thought of having a steak seared on the inside and outside is pretty dope

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

:lmdbo:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

p good av

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Fr1sbee/status/1005919441476096001

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

Toys for rear end bum

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Anime leak in the mechanical room, a JISHA violation to be sure :chord:

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

new splinter cell game lookin hosed up

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

hackbunny posted:

plutonium and quite alive. extremely dangerous to keep so much of it so close together, it's a fumble away from a criticality accident. also note how the top ones are laid out in a way that defeats the anti-rolling nibs (if they're free to roll, they might roll into each other and accidentally go critical)

My last chemistry class was 15 years ago in High School and I slept through most of it, what exactly would happen if you dropped one of those or if two of them accidentally touched ?

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

for the amount of laughter I just had, I deem this #blessed

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Your Gay Uncle posted:

My last chemistry class was 15 years ago in High School and I slept through most of it, what exactly would happen if you dropped one of those or if two of them accidentally touched ?

they wouldn't explode but they would generate a lot of radiation and you would die

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Your Gay Uncle posted:

a criticality - enough material close enough together to cause a burst of radiation, injuring and potentially killing any living thing nearby

the third ever nuclear weapon core ended up killing two scientists in two different accidents where the core was mishandled and so started making GBS threads out radiation. nuclear physics was pretty wild in the early days

quote:

The core, assembled, was designed to be at "−5 cents", or 5 percent below critical mass. In this state there is only a small safety margin against extraneous factors that might increase criticality, causing the core to become supercritical, and then prompt critical, a brief state of rapid energy increase. These factors are not common in the environment; they are circumstances like the compression of the solid metallic core – which would eventually be the method used to explode the bomb – the addition of more nuclear material, or provision of an external reflector which would reflect outbound neutrons back into the core. The experiments conducted at Los Alamos leading to the two fatal accidents were designed to guarantee that the core was indeed close to the critical point by arranging such reflectors and seeing how much neutron reflection was required to approach supercriticality.

i want to point out here this sentence: "The experiments conducted at Los Alamos leading to the two fatal accidents were designed to guarantee that the core was indeed close to the critical point by arranging such reflectors and seeing how much neutron reflection was required to approach supercriticality."

this would be done by hand. they would get this stupid thing to a state where it was on the very edge of making GBS threads out radiation just to make sure that yep, this thing is dangerous as hell all right

quote:

On August 21, 1945, the plutonium core produced a burst of neutron radiation that led to physicist Harry Daghlian's death. Daghlian made a mistake while performing neutron reflector experiments on the core. He was working alone; a security guard, Private Robert J. Hemmerly, was seated at a desk 10 to 12 feet (3 to 4 m) away. The core was placed within a stack of neutron-reflective tungsten carbide bricks and the addition of each brick moved the assembly closer to criticality. While attempting to stack another brick around the assembly, Daghlian accidentally dropped it onto the core and thereby caused the core to go well into supercriticality, a self-sustaining critical chain reaction. He quickly moved the brick off the assembly, but received a fatal dose of radiation. He died 25 days later from acute radiation poisoning.

quote:

On May 21, 1946, physicist Louis Slotin and seven other Los Alamos personnel were in a Los Alamos laboratory conducting another experiment to verify the exact point at which a subcritical mass (core) of fissile material could be made critical by the positioning of neutron reflectors. Slotin, who was leaving Los Alamos, was showing the technique to Alvin C. Graves, who would use it in a final test before the Operation Crossroads nuclear tests scheduled a month later at Bikini Atoll. It required the operator to place two half-spheres of beryllium (a neutron reflector) around the core to be tested and manually lower the top reflector over the core via a thumb hole on the top. As the reflectors were manually moved closer and farther away from each other, scintillation counters measured the relative activity from the core. Allowing them to close completely could result in the instantaneous formation of a critical mass and a lethal power excursion. Under Slotin's unapproved protocol, the only thing preventing this was the blade of a standard straight screwdriver, manipulated by the scientist's other hand. Slotin, who was given to bravado, became the local expert, performing the test on almost a dozen occasions, often in his trademark blue jeans and cowboy boots, in front of a roomful of observers. Enrico Fermi reportedly told Slotin and others they would be "dead within a year" if they continued performing it. Scientists referred to this flirting with the possibility of a nuclear chain reaction as "tickling the dragon's tail", based on a remark by physicist Richard Feynman, who compared the experiments to "tickling the tail of a sleeping dragon".

On the day of the accident, Slotin's screwdriver slipped outward a fraction of an inch while he was lowering the top reflector, allowing the reflector to fall into place around the core. Instantly there was a flash of blue light and a wave of heat across Slotin's skin; the core had become supercritical, releasing an intense burst of neutron radiation estimated to have lasted about a half second. Slotin quickly twisted his wrist, flipping the top shell to the floor. The heating of the core and shells stopped the criticality within seconds of its initiation, while Slotin's reaction prevented a recurrence and ended the accident. The position of Slotin's body over the apparatus also shielded the others from much of the neutron radiation, but he received a lethal dose of 1,000 rad (10 Gy) neutron and 114 rad (1.14 Gy) gamma radiation in under a second and died nine days later from acute radiation poisoning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon_core

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jun 12, 2018

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I was about to say, they called it the demon core but it’s right there in the wiki link :devil:

Im reading Richard Rhodes’ “The Making Of The Atomic Bomb” right now and now I know what a cloud chamber looks like in action! Thank you!

Julius CSAR fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jun 12, 2018

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

My grandpa worked there and died from getting cancer due to an exposure accident.

Here is an article about the lab and my grandma but not about getting cancer.

https://www.lamonitor.com/content/oppenheimer-souvenir-brings-back-bittersweet-moment

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Blessed. GO BUCKS!

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
:ice:

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The fringe is pretty much the same? He doesn't have the same length hair I guess? I presume the side shave is the same?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

HEY MOE

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

MrMoo posted:

The fringe is pretty much the same? He doesn't have the same length hair I guess? I presume the side shave is the same?

They didn't fade the sides. That's the difference.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I feel like they also left too much hair, making it more of a bowl cut. Part of that may be the different angles though.

It is very Moe-esque and I don't think that guy's face shape is helping things.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Chad also has about 300% less forehead under his hairline

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
It also looks like it was taken back nearly to his hairline in front instead of allowing for some bangs. Which is kinda critical to making that cut even remotely work.

If it was properly faded and blended on the sides there would be very little hair extending past the sides of his head when viewed from the front.

He paid a $100 and received a supercuts tier haircut.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
That's why you visit a barber not a stylist.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

fishing with the fam posted:

He paid a $100 and received a supercuts tier haircut.

That's why I go to supercuts to get my head shaved, it's cheap enough, and they won't miss any spots like I do.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
dont have much sympathy for the dude paying $100 for a haircut

ps the secret to a good haircut is go to a black barbershop instead of some chain

Kyron
Aug 6, 2013

You would think that people who use the term Chad unironically would know that not everyone can pull off certain types of hairstyles.

I kinda feel for the kid because throughout high school I could never find a hairstyle that worked for my gigantic head so I always wore hats until I just started buzzing my hair when I got serious about swimming.

Kyron
Aug 6, 2013

Blast of Confetti posted:

dont have much sympathy for the dude paying $100 for a haircut

ps the secret to a good haircut is go to a black barbershop instead of some chain

Legit this, I met this guy when I was in college that worked at a barbershop in Brooklyn growing up and I would pay him in weed to cut my hair until I graduated. Still to this day no one has cut my hair who was better and quicker than him.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

ivenever seen a goonwith good hair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fartbox posted:

ivenever seen a goonwith good hair
_________________/