Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Respectfully, we’ve already met this campaign’s Gilmore.

And this campaign’s Gilmore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Ojjeorago posted:

Respectfully, we’ve already met this campaign’s Gilmore.

I'm going to laugh so hard when next campaign the magic store guy is just a mild mannered accountant and they spend a full episode trying to figure out if there is some hidden quick.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Xae posted:

I'm going to laugh so hard when next campaign the magic store guy is just a mild mannered accountant and they spend a full episode trying to figure out if there is some hidden quick.

Now I want Matt to tease a Victor and have it just be a boring mild mannered accountant who was cursed or something. And once they break the curse for him he is anthropomorphised Paint Drying on Wall.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com

Hulk Smash! posted:

FWIW I'm also a new watcher (as of when C2: E8 was the most recent thing), went through all of C2 and then back to C1 to mitigate the shakes between episodes. I picked up C1 at episode 27 - the last with Orion - and had no trouble picking up the background and characters of C1. I would recommend going to Ep. 28 though since Ep. 27 is just painful to watch as Orion completes his self-destruct.

I ended up taking your advice, except kind of the opposite because I like train wrecks a lot, and started at S1E26. I really feel like I got the whole Orion experience: at first I liked him quite a bit, then I liked him a lot and thought people were way too hard on him, then he started grating on my nerves, and then I got to that errand running segment in 27 and I'm glad he's gone. It was a wild ride and exactly the place for me personally to start.

Officially hooked. See you all in a week when I'm fully caught up because my lifestyle is pretty primo for binging 5 hour dnd sessions

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Campaign One is ~447 hours long. So have fun marathoning that in a row. That is longer than the entire run of the Simpsons which is ~200 hours.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

I ended up taking your advice, except kind of the opposite because I like train wrecks a lot, and started at S1E26. I really feel like I got the whole Orion experience: at first I liked him quite a bit, then I liked him a lot and thought people were way too hard on him, then he started grating on my nerves, and then I got to that errand running segment in 27 and I'm glad he's gone. It was a wild ride and exactly the place for me personally to start.

Officially hooked. See you all in a week when I'm fully caught up because my lifestyle is pretty primo for binging 5 hour dnd sessions

Now imagine that entire experience spread out across 25 episodes and just hating his loving guts for like 16 straight hours.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed that experience and welcome to the party.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

CuwiKhons posted:

Now imagine that entire experience spread out across 25 episodes and just hating his loving guts for like 16 straight hours.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed that experience and welcome to the party.

So I watched that episode 27 and the slow descent and 5 stages of grief Travis goes through is amazing to watch. Hes the guy who seems relentlessly happy and positive and is the cast member I most want to hang out with and goddamn does he go down a pit in episode 27.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

kingcom posted:

So I watched that episode 27 and the slow descent and 5 stages of grief Travis goes through is amazing to watch. Hes the guy who seems relentlessly happy and positive and is the cast member I most want to hang out with and goddamn does he go down a pit in episode 27.

If looks could kill Orion would have been incinerated on the spot for that entire "half-chub" bit.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

If looks could kill Orion would have been incinerated on the spot for that entire "half-chub" bit.

Travis whispering 'I'm gonna loving kill him' was a good indicator of his feelings towards him too imo.

EDIT: As someone who has been in Travis' shoes a dozen times or more, holy poo poo is it nice to see that being a universal reaction even for noted good sport Travis Willing to Ham.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

You can really tell how loving over Orion Travis was with that. His reaction to Orion making a sexual comment to Laura stands in sharp contrast to how thrilled he later was about Perc'ahlia and him saying happily at conventions that he got to watch Taliesin flirt with his wife and "it was great!"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CuwiKhons posted:

You can really tell how loving over Orion Travis was with that. His reaction to Orion making a sexual comment to Laura stands in sharp contrast to how thrilled he later was about Perc'ahlia and him saying happily at conventions that he got to watch Taliesin flirt with his wife and "it was great!"

I think it's also because the in-character relationship was just that: characters. They were friends making their OCs kiss. Orion ended up coming off as real life pervy.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

I think it's also because the in-character relationship was just that: characters. They were friends making their OCs kiss. Orion ended up coming off as real life pervy.

Orion was trying to make it in character - he was talking about how Tiberius had a 'half-chub', not himself. But it was inappropriate, out of character for Tiberius, and it wasn't even funny like most of Scanlan's sex jokes. Orion really lacked the ability to read a room.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I've started watching this while playing Pillars of Eternity 2 and it's going to be very weird because almost every party member in that game is voiced by someone who's in this

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Ashley Johnson has a distinctive way of saying, "okay, okay, okay, okay," that she does a lot on stream. She also apparently used that for ger character in PoE as well. So you'll likely hear it constantly if you use that character, which I'm sure will be fun.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Sadly using Ashley's character (as cool as said character is) means using someone who has zero interactivity with the world, quests, and other party members in a game where so much of it is based around that interactivity.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

DoubleDonut posted:

I've started watching this while playing Pillars of Eternity 2 and it's going to be very weird because almost every party member in that game is voiced by someone who's in this

Do it while using the Vox Machina party members for extra confusion.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I've been playing Deadfire with the normal party members but I gave my own character Percy's voice since Taliesin's the only one who isn't voicing a party member anyway. In the first PoE game, I played as very benevolent because I can't stand being mean to pixels, but just having Percy's voice has made me lean towards more snarky options. Just feels in character. He's such a dickhead.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

That is largely how watching Eps 1-28 goes. It starts with "man, why did everyone rag on Orion so much?" And by the end of ep28 I was done with his poo poo.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I just did another playthrough of Fallout 4 and having Matt follow me around was a trip as well.

Xae posted:

That is largely how watching Eps 1-28 goes. It starts with "man, why did everyone rag on Orion so much?" And by the end of ep28 I was done with his poo poo.

I started watching campaign 1 when they were on episode 8 and liked Tiberius. Watching the drama play out in real time week to week was very sad to see. Then, later on, when all the context came out, it was just even more sad. Such a shame that it all happened.

Dameius fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jun 13, 2018

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

kingcom posted:

Travis Willing to Ham.

:allears: Look what you did. I was already really warming up to Travis as I make my way through CR1. I'm on ... Ep 38. Scanlan just met his daughter.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The entire Critical Role cast (minus Orion) are just the best people, but Travis is extra best.

https://clips.twitch.tv/BoringStupidMarjoramNotATK?tt_medium=clips_api&tt_content=url

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Travis is hands down the best. Except for the Cowboys part. But not everyone can be perfect.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Dameius posted:

Travis is hands down the best. Except for the Cowboys part. But not everyone can be perfect.

I love when Sam fucks with him over being a Cowboys fan. This is probably my favorite Travis out-of-character reaction.

https://youtu.be/zr2n1fLVasU?t=10970

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm on s1 e15 now. He doesn't seem too bad yet. But I can see people kind of being short with him as the campaign progresses. And also I'm only listening so I can't see the reactions. Also his turns take forever and I feel like he fudges his sorcery points and tries to power game. I'm excited for him to be gone.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

RC Cola posted:

I'm on s1 e15 now. He doesn't seem too bad yet. But I can see people kind of being short with him as the campaign progresses. And also I'm only listening so I can't see the reactions. Also his turns take forever and I feel like he fudges his sorcery points and tries to power game. I'm excited for him to be gone.

There’s some suspicion that he may have been cheating, as people started looking a lot closer at his dice as the campaign went on.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I think the K'varn fight represented the first big indication that Orion's days were numbered. For Orion to sit out the fight was bad enough but to then claim the kill as well was just doubly obnoxious. I would have loved to have seen Tiberius get triple mind blasted and killed because it would have been so deserved.

chitoryu12 posted:

There’s some suspicion that he may have been cheating, as people started looking a lot closer at his dice as the campaign went on.

Matt actually confirmed that Orion was cheating in an off-the-cuff reddit post that he subsequently deleted. I can't remember exactly what he said it but it was something flippant like "the only one who was fudging their rolls is gone now". This is to say nothing of Orion's metagaming and general munchkinry.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 13, 2018

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

In It For The Tank posted:

I think the K'varn fight represented the first big indication that Orion's days were numbered. For Orion to sit out the fight was bad enough but to then claim the kill as well was just doubly obnoxious. I would have loved to have seen Tiberius get triple mind blasted and killed because it would have been so deserved.

Matt actually confirmed that Orion was cheating in an off-the-cuff reddit post that he subsequently deleted. I can't remember exactly what he said it but it was something flippant like "the only one who was fudging their rolls is gone now". This is to say nothing of Orion's metagaming and general munchkinry.

Yeah, he survived purely on DM's mercy there.

loving laffo at using minor illusion to fool a goddamn hivemind of telepaths that you were one of them.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

In It For The Tank posted:

I don't remember where I read it, but someone wrote that on a pre-stream game Matt once got so tired of Orion's metagaming that he made him leave the session.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't remember where I read it, but someone wrote that on a pre-stream game Matt once got so tired of Orion's metagaming that he made him leave the session.

Wow, I hadn't heard that. I had always assumed that Orion's biggest problem was the transition to streaming. I figured his friends could deal with him in smaller doses when they only saw him for the game every couple of months but dealing with him every single week made them realize what a cockbite he was.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

CuwiKhons posted:

Wow, I hadn't heard that. I had always assumed that Orion's biggest problem was the transition to streaming. I figured his friends could deal with him in smaller doses when they only saw him for the game every couple of months but dealing with him every single week made them realize what a cockbite he was.

Yeah that what I assumed too from peoples descriptions. The thing about tabletop rpgs with friends is that you all are basically locked in a room together and forced to work together and share time and opinions with eachother. For some you click really well, for others all the things that make you frustrated about them become magnified and you learn how they work with others.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

CuwiKhons posted:

I figured his friends could deal with him in smaller doses when they only saw him for the game every couple of months but dealing with him every single week made them realize what a cockbite he was.

That's what I thought as well. You can even see in the vid where they're falling in Allura's tower how he just casts fly on himself and leaves and does nothing else to help. How did he stick around that long.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
He was also threatening to sue fan artists on Twitter because Tiberius is his original character do not steal.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

And there's that one mysterious Twitter account that started insulting the Critical Role cast after his side project with Tiberius got legally blocked and Orion would block anyone who said it was obviously him.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Not to excuse his behavior but he was also going through some big abusive relationship where he was getting gaslighted a lot and he was dealing with an AIDs (I think, or maybe HIV? It was something really serious) diagnosis. Dude was just going through a full meltdown that included a drug addiction and in the process throughly and completely burned all of the bridges he had with his friends and they had to cut him out of their lives. Like I said, just really sad all around.

Dameius fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 14, 2018

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

That may be the case but the Youtube video of him apologizing for everything and explaining his drug breakdown and his struggle with HIV was posted before he created a sockpuppet Twitter to harass the cast and also before he stole money from one of his own chat mods. So I don't think he's really gotten any better.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah, his situation excuses his behavior right up to the point years later where he admits to it. Anything he does after that is entirely on him.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Yeah, I am not trying to whitewash any of it. Dude had a real rough go of things when they first went on stream, but at some point he has start answering for his actions. And if giant human Teddy Bear Matt Mercer has run out of patience and good will towards you, you've had more than plenty enough chances to sort your life out.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dameius posted:

Yeah, I am not trying to whitewash any of it. Dude had a real rough go of things when they first went on stream, but at some point he has start answering for his actions. And if giant human Teddy Bear Matt Mercer has run out of patience and good will towards you, you've had more than plenty enough chances to sort your life out.

I'd say it's when Travis and Marisha start showing signs of annoyance. Matt is a tough and honest DM even with his friends, but Travis is basically impossible to upset and Marisha was one of Orion's closer friends judging from their sheer amount of physical contact during the first campaign. Once they start having problems, you've hosed up.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Blockhouse posted:

Sadly using Ashley's character (as cool as said character is) means using someone who has zero interactivity with the world, quests, and other party members in a game where so much of it is based around that interactivity.

Yeah, it's a tough break because the side characters you can recruit seem pretty interesting in the bit of characterization they get before they join the party, but taking any of them means you miss out on just piles of possible dialogue, quest interactions, and inter-party moments. On the upside, you never have to worry about Serafen freaking out because you bought a slave that you totally intend to free, but no it's not until you kill every slaver on the planet that he realizes hey, this guy's anti-slavery after all I guess I won't abandon him immediately. That was a fun couple hours of cruising through saves and stuff to make sure I wasn't losing a party member after completing the quest the way I wanted to.

They are a step-up from the general "recruit an npc" situation, though if you want to technically cruise around with the full Vox Machina experience that's how you gotta do it.

I'm considering making my player character have Gilmore's voice so I can run around with myself, Eder, Aloth, and a recruited NPC set to also be Gilmore's voice and just enjoying a party of Mercers saving the world, though I think a 3/4 Mercer ratio would probably be plenty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Got a bit sidelined last week (and this week); finally sat down and listened to episode 21. Good times - venom troll's a monster I might have to use in the future - but I've gotta say I have no idea what Beau was thinking with that altercation with Caleb. Dude's concerns were clear and reasonable, and his proposed plan wasn't even remotely excessive or really even inconvenient even if his proposed plan needed some tweaking. I'm sure Marisha had somewhere she was going with it, and maybe she demystifies things in episode 22, but she came across like a more aggressively confrontational version of skate kid.

Molly calling Caleb a poor communicator after the fact puzzled me even more. Beau, Jester, and he might've disliked Caleb's plan, and cool, that's something to talk about, but Caleb seemed pretty open, honest, and forthright about what he was thinking and what he wanted.

EDIT: Did some poking around and I've found a few arguments for Caleb's methods being off (spending the night within spitting distance of a sunken dungeon filled with murderous merfolk; could've been a bit more explicit about the item's power first, then introduced his concerns; should've brought Jester in first since she's the one who'd need to cast the spell), but I'm still not finding much to convince me that Beau's handling of the situation was anything other than poor.

DOUBLE EDIT: Ignoring the ~narrative~ for a second, I did forget how long the episode went on for, and I know (as guest character) Cali kinda needed her subplot wrapped up that session, so I get that functionally there was a need to take care of everything relatively quickly, but even so. Hmm. I suppose I'll wait and see how they address this incident in episode 22.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jun 14, 2018