Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

MadBimber posted:

LOL @ all these noobs not using a vintorez and sniping their way through pripyat/cnpp/c-conc. loot ammo from monolith, silent snipe all day

I'm at the c-conc section right now in the AMK mod on master and yeah this won't be possible lol. Literally every one of them has turned into a one-hit sniper. I love this mod to bits, but it gets really grating from pripyat onwards to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKemIJ0G1C8

Here's your STALKER 2 (I know it's not the same but is drat cool).

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Does anyone know when Dead Air is getting an English patch?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Monolith. posted:

Does anyone know when Dead Air is getting an English patch?

They said it's mostly done, just updating ui stuff I think so maybe in a couple weeks?

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

School Nickname posted:

I'm at the c-conc section right now in the AMK mod on master and yeah this won't be possible lol. Literally every one of them has turned into a one-hit sniper. I love this mod to bits, but it gets really grating from pripyat onwards to be honest.

why? are you not a head shot machine, just clicking heads as they appear?

lmao get eaten by a snork

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Yeah, I'm not, guess I gotta :gitgud:.

So I'm finished with the story in AMK, which afterwards decided to spawn me into pripyat in the middle of a psuedodog pack and a rocket launcher monolith zeroing in on me in three seconds. I'm really interested in the freeplay mods for Cop, such as Call of Chernobyl/Call of misery/Last Day/Anomaly. Would you guys recommend trying them out in order, or at all? The only thing that might put me off them is the autistic inventory system I'm seeing in the modpage.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
If you install CoC you can use the cheat menu to give yourself whatever items you want at the start. You have to put -dbg in the command line options for your shortcut to Stalker-CoC.exe. Then once you are in-game, you can hit "ESC" to get to the menu, then press the "S" button.

Highly dishonorable, but worth it if you don't want to play the tedious inventory minigame anymore.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wish the fallout games would use the STALKER style economy where selling repaired guns still puts you at a loss, but bullets are always handy for cash.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
The gun is good, feed the gun.

Typical C.o.C loadout : loving everything and its uncle: my power armor is brutalist, powered by vodka, frustration and fear of western style homosexuality. I must have all the rounds ever of all the guns I may come across, but should I run out of ammunition, St Groza the underbarreled will cleanse fold and manipulate all who come before me, apart from controllers and those ultradense guys. may the zone Take them. they laugh as i jerk towards them, body unwilling, but then I must sigh, and stabby the combat knife does the rhinoplasty.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I'm thinking about Overhaiuling c.o.c's soundtrack, turin horse, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwGjUF0aM_8 poo poo like dis, maybe some weirder folio as well, I gotta get gud at spacial audio first tho,

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Dead Air English translation came out. I've only played for about 30 minutes but liking it so far. Not unfairly difficult, stealth does seem to work better, and it runs really well on my oldass PC to boot.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
How's the gunplay

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Here's some more info on it. Can't wait to give it a try over the weekend. It's standalone so installing it couldn't be easier.

You do need to navigate to the options to switch it to english, but besides that its just extract and play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4lkRCCsu6g

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Having trouble downloading it :(

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

my bony fealty posted:

Dead Air English translation came out. I've only played for about 30 minutes but liking it so far. Not unfairly difficult, stealth does seem to work better, and it runs really well on my oldass PC to boot.

There is nothing listed here for me.
https://www.moddb.com/mods/dead-air/downloads

Where do I get this hot new mod!?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Jarf posted:

There is nothing listed here for me.
https://www.moddb.com/mods/dead-air/downloads

Where do I get this hot new mod!?

https://www.moddb.com/mods/dead-air/downloads/dead-air-english-translation

Always
Be
:f5:ing

BillyJoeBob
Feb 7, 2010

Anal-retentive, overly loquacious weapons scientist.

It's up! Installing the mod files, patching, translating and were off! It's been so long though, what's this mod do again other than get me hyped?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I'm gonna need a trip report before I pull the trigger on a new stalker mod.

BillyJoeBob
Feb 7, 2010

It's totally overhauled the UI. When you start you can pick perks and equipment out of a pool of points. No idea what to do with this inventor trait and copper wire yet.
You can put ammo on your belt to reload faster. There's a backpack slot, a primary melee weapon slot I think, a pistol and main hand slot, a utility knife slot. I'm only tooling around the southern cordon so far but it seems cool. Stuff doesn't seem to stack like these beef tins so the inventory is a little messy. I need more people in on this because I have no idea what's going on.

I'm going around with a beat up crowbar, a rusty PM, a home made knife and a sawed off.
So far I shot some rats, dogs and Wolf sent me to shoot out the military checkpoint speaker.

Turns out I can't run for poo poo until I bought a cheapo camper backpack. Adds a good 20 kg to carry instead of starting you off at 10kg.

Ammo doesn't stack automatically. You have to drag them together and make a pile. You can take said piles and put them on your artefact belt. I haven't tested reload speeds but I guess it's a thing.

Oh huh. You have to have the right ammo on your belt to reload. If your belt is all full of shotgun ammo and you find an AK you can't reload from the ammo pile in your backpack. It looks like that ancient alpha stuff they showed off.

BillyJoeBob fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 22, 2018

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

BillyJoeBob posted:

It's up! Installing the mod files, patching, translating and were off! It's been so long though, what's this mod do again other than get me hyped?

Am I being dumb? I see the english translation file but where do I get the actual mod?

BillyJoeBob
Feb 7, 2010

It's in the description of the translation. It's kinda dumb and I forgot to say where I found it.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Yeah you need to buy a camping backpack out of the gate and drink vodka like a fish because rads don't decay I guess.

I made a loadout with a 74SU and it's been going okay but I've only done a handful of things. There's an in game encyclopedia but it's in Russian. Maybe someone will give a quick rundown of it sometime though.

BillyJoeBob
Feb 7, 2010

Fuckin LOL.
I was vacuuming up stashed with take all as usual. I saw a f1 and went SCORE! When I picked it up there was a loud ping sound and a few seconds later I got blow'd up. Nice, booby trapped stashes. So far I've been running around with blurry vision and can't figure out why I'm sick. I can't find any medics. I can't find a sleeping bag since I must be tired by now. I'm chowing on activated charcoal and Stoli to ward off the radiation.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
So without looking up too much ahead of time: What're the basic/intended ways of keeping your health topped off

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

BillyJoeBob posted:

Fuckin LOL.
I was vacuuming up stashed with take all as usual. I saw a f1 and went SCORE! When I picked it up there was a loud ping sound and a few seconds later I got blow'd up. Nice, booby trapped stashes. So far I've been running around with blurry vision and can't figure out why I'm sick. I can't find any medics. I can't find a sleeping bag since I must be tired by now. I'm chowing on activated charcoal and Stoli to ward off the radiation.

Yep, just found that. I really don't like how you have to keep ammo on your belt.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Booby trapping a stash sounds so hosed to me. Sure, you blow up the svoloch trying to steal your poo poo, but you blow up all your poo poo in the process! Throwing the baby out with the bathwater imo

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Budgie Jumping posted:

Booby trapping a stash sounds so hosed to me. Sure, you blow up the svoloch trying to steal your poo poo, but you blow up all your poo poo in the process! Throwing the baby out with the bathwater imo

Could be worse, really. I mean what if you booby-trap your own hideout and then walk into it? That's be real embarrassing.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

tight aspirations posted:

Could be worse, really. I mean what if you booby-trap your own hideout and then walk into it? That's be real embarrassing.

Heh, heh, nice

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Anyone know how item storage works in Dead Air? Can I use any stash box on the map? Do ai loot them?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I haven't played STALKER in years, the last time I think back in 2009 with the Complete mod. Since the OP hasn't been updated in years I'm wondering if the Lost Alpha or RMA - Old Storyline Restoration Mod mods are worth a try. I don't want anything that completely throws vanilla out the window but stuff that adds cut story line content sounds cool.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

BillyJoeBob posted:

Fuckin LOL.

I too have been suffering the random blurry vision, coupled with decreasing health. I've tried everything to counteract it, but it doesn't stop. Anyone got any ideas on that?

Monolith. posted:

Yep, just found that. I really don't like how you have to keep ammo on your belt.

I actually kinda love it, for the sole reason of it being another thing to worry about in the heat of the moment. I like having more procedure to have to run through to get by safely, I just wish it was all communicated better.

BillyJoeBob
Feb 7, 2010

I think it was the sleep deprivation option. I turned it off and saved and reloaded a few times. Sometime since it has gone away, it must have been that because otherwise nobody wants to sell me a sleeping bag several days in. :shepface:

The decreasing health is either from sleep deprivation or radiation poisoning. You can't tell how irradiated without a Geiger counter. It's also fun realizing you've been roasted without the clicking to warn you. Cigarettes don't remove rads like Misery and derivatives. Pretty much cheap booze and meds are the cure.

Overall a cool rear end mod and I want to explore further than the army warehouses. It's not a safe place with my Freedom buddies, it's full of dead bodies, Monolith and chimeras. D:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

BillyJoeBob posted:

The decreasing health is either from sleep deprivation or radiation poisoning. You can't tell how irradiated without a Geiger counter. It's also fun realizing you've been roasted without the clicking to warn you. Cigarettes don't remove rads like Misery and derivatives. Pretty much cheap booze and meds are the cure.

Oh god, I didnt notice I didn't have a Geiger counter.

Pixelponny
Oct 30, 2007

Two bloody great handfuls
Pillbug
I wasn't really big into L.U.R.K., MISERY or their derivative mods for as long as they've been around but somehow I liked Dead Air right off the bat and have been enjoying it a lot. I played it like I've been following a quest line and it has been paying off nicely for me. After doing some basic tasks for the Loners, I visited the Great Swamps and killed some mutants on Clear Sky's requests. Moved to the North and visited Agroprom Underground from SHoC, killed some bandits for Duty in Garbage and some Mercenaries in Military Warehouses. My current goal is getting some documents in Agroprom Underground level from CS.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I know there's no overall story or win-condition for Dead Air, but I understand that there are faction questlines. Are these substantial, or are they just a string of generic missions? I haven't played any of the pure sandbox mods like COC at all.

Pixelponny
Oct 30, 2007

Pillbug

Mordja posted:

I know there's no overall story or win-condition for Dead Air, but I understand that there are faction questlines. Are these substantial, or are they just a string of generic missions? I haven't played any of the pure sandbox mods like COC at all.

I'm not really sure... There's been the DoctorX quests mod for CoC and back when I played it, all of them were just generic fetch quests. I hear that they've improved over the time, and considering that Dead Air utilizes DoctorX for quests, one can only hope.

As for my experience, I'm fine with the game so far. To me, the closest thing that I can compare Dead Air to is vanilla SHoC, at least so far. I can't join a faction but I can improve my relationships with them. And they ask me to kill their enemies, kill mutants or go look for documents. The latter one is especially fun, because an underground facility is involved and I'm not yet able to go inside there and survive. I think this is the best use of increased focus on survival; there's also a factor of unknown is involved and that makes me feel like I'm playing SHoC once again.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I guess this is coming out in a couple weeks...

https://store.steampowered.com/app/819500/Fear_The_Wolves/

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I'm having trouble getting started in Dead Air. I mean, I know it's a misery derivative and things were going to be harder but I'm feeling a bit paralyzed right at the start. Like, how important is the loadout selection at the beginning? I assume the beginner's equipment is mandatory. But should I invest in the perks? I'm trying to do the carpark bandit mission with the lovely shotgun, and while it doesn't seem too different or even difficult than normal it's hard to escape the feeling that I'm doing everything wrong and I'm going to be stuck in Cordon doing errands forever.

TLDR any starting character build choices/recommendations that won't result in constant poverty?

Pixelponny
Oct 30, 2007

Pillbug

Quicksilver6 posted:

I'm having trouble getting started in Dead Air. I mean, I know it's a misery derivative and things were going to be harder but I'm feeling a bit paralyzed right at the start. Like, how important is the loadout selection at the beginning? I assume the beginner's equipment is mandatory. But should I invest in the perks? I'm trying to do the carpark bandit mission with the lovely shotgun, and while it doesn't seem too different or even difficult than normal it's hard to escape the feeling that I'm doing everything wrong and I'm going to be stuck in Cordon doing errands forever.

TLDR any starting character build choices/recommendations that won't result in constant poverty?

I started with Artifact Hunter and Experienced Stalker kits. The latter gave me a Sunrise Suit which's still pretty decent. The other awesome thing about it is, you can start with a freaking head lamp. As for the former, as far as I can remember there's a chance of getting a gas mask. A gas mask is very necessary, even though you can make a cloth wrap for yourself, using some of the fabric you can pick up as loot / trade from other Loners. But in order to do that, you'd need the Basic Tools. Yes they are the same tool kits that every technician in the Zone want to get their hands on. On the bright side, there are multiple of them so you can give one each to every technician, you can keep one to yourself and you can still use them for trading. Although it wouldn't make much sense carrying one around all the time... In short, find a Basic Tools kit and double click for crafting. You don't need the perk.

I've never tried starting with perks so far. As far I as know, one can earn perks over the time. I'm an experienced stalker with 4000-something points and have crafted multiple items so far but I haven't earned a perk yet. I'll keep you guys updated if I eventually can.

I strongly suggest the fast travel mod for Dead Air. In order to get rich, you need to drag lots of items around and sell them. In order to maintain your gear efficiently, you have to have a safe stash (as other stalkers (friend / foe) can steal from your stash) and repair your stuff regularly. I'm using the blue box next to Sidorovich and keep a ton of "junk" there so I can fast-travel to Cordon, repair my stuff, stock on food & meds & utilities that I keep in that stash so I can return to the fray easily. Fast-travelling is limited to few places but even it costs money, it is still very, very useful. Especially if you've already played tons of mods and can lose patience quickly. Dead Air tends to spawn bunch of mutants around you soon after you enter a map, and believe me that gets old rather fast... Let alone walking all the way back to a trader that'd give you good rates.

Also, you might want to enable better loot option. You'll still have lots of trouble with resupplying yourself on a mission, but at least with some lucky gun drops, you can (financially) break even on long missions that went wrong, maybe even several times.

Pixelponny fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Harminoff posted:

I guess this is coming out in a couple weeks...

https://store.steampowered.com/app/819500/Fear_The_Wolves/

It's battle royale STALKER, so it's not STALKER at all. Shame.

You can tell Vostock games has ex-GSC devs though, because all the guns in the screenshot look like they were made by hammering potatoes together.