Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I still haven't really fleshed out this guy, but Rain of Arrows is really solid, even on single targets. Mostly due to the fact it's become Kinetic Blast but At The Ground, since 50% of all the arrows you fire up in the air all seek out a target in the area, which makes it very nasty against single target.

https://i.imgur.com/ecK8ztv.gifv

the rest of it is how bullshit Doomfletch Prism is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

I've found that Rain of Arrows starts off really strong but starts to fall off pretty hard in higher tier maps. I think this is mostly due to the abysmal base damage of the skill. I'm not done scaling the build yet, so we'll see what else I can squeeze out of it though.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Syle187 posted:

I've found that Rain of Arrows starts off really strong but starts to fall off pretty hard in higher tier maps. I think this is mostly due to the abysmal base damage of the skill. I'm not done scaling the build yet, so we'll see what else I can squeeze out of it though.

Yeah, that's my worry as well, I've only just gotten to maps with this character and red tier maps are a whole different ballgame.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I legit respect Chris because he knows he has little expertise in the game he helped found. His role is to allow more talented people to work and mediate between their decisions. No auteur arrogance.

The downside is that the story themes of the game has evolved greatly from 1.2 onwards, and not always for the better.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
It took me a little while to progress to red maps on my RoA character, but at this point I'm doing better than any of my LA/IS + Barrage builds in the past couple of years. My Harbinger Tornado Shot might have been stronger - definitely had better clear but was far worse on bosses.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/fatmanuel/characters

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
This stupid game is ruining my life.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I have played 4 days this season. I had a dream about optimizing the gear on my Cyclone Slayer.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
What maps are people finding best to shaper orb in 3.3?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Time to start thinking of running my third character since my ehit wander is largely capped out and closing on 92.

Ideas:

Storm Burst CWC Ball Lightning Inquisitor
Fireball/Flameblast full ignite proliferation Elementalist
Cold Snap Occultist (ripping off Rodent + my own choices)

DS/VDS Champion/Jugg abusing the new lowlife belt and a watchers eye
FLICKERSTRIKE

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

What maps are people finding best to shaper orb in 3.3?

I did mausoleum, tribunal, tropical island, estuary and bog

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

TheRat posted:

I did mausoleum, tribunal, tropical island, estuary and bog

burial chambers and volcano because div cards

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Beach, Arid Lake, Iceberg, Strand, Toxic Sewers, Atoll, Coral Ruins, Infested Valley, Waste Pool, Bog.

I like those maps.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Vasudus posted:

Time to start thinking of running my third character since my ehit wander is largely capped out and closing on 92.

Ideas:

Storm Burst CWC Ball Lightning Inquisitor
Fireball/Flameblast full ignite proliferation Elementalist
Cold Snap Occultist (ripping off Rodent + my own choices)

DS/VDS Champion/Jugg abusing the new lowlife belt and a watchers eye
FLICKERSTRIKE

PP Elehit Avatar of Fire Chieftain with Arcs linked to CtF in the Pens (because you already run a CotB)

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I'm pretty sure this thing is between good and nutso, but I'm unsure of how to properly sell it. Is it one of those things I should soak a few ex into by adding multimod and crafting up, or sell it as is, or ???

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
It's got 4 mods already so no point in multi modding. Just craft spell damage and list it

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
is that all that good? I don't think the shaper mod makes up for no spell damage,middling roll on spell crit, and no attack speed

nerox
May 20, 2001
Does the "Gain 10% of elemental damage as extra chaos damage" effect spell damage?

Also, can someone take a look at my character and kind of give me some direction as to what upgrades I should be going for? I am approaching T9-T10 and its getting a bit rougher.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/choppyesq/characters

Character is Choppy_Arcmines

I have about 200C to my name right now and for the most part still using my 1c-5c gear that I got to max out resists.

nerox fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 13, 2018

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Vasudus posted:

My CI Arc/Spire trapper is one of the tankiest things I've ever had. I'm running with an Incandescent Heart and it's just stupid. 6k ES with 20% regen, global blind aura, less damage from blinded enemies, immunity to shock/ignite, and a shitload less elemental taken. On top of insanely safe, insanely high damage skills with good clear.
This is from a while back, but I mostly copied your CI Arc Trapper and the clear speed is insane.

However, I've never played a CI build before, and at level 70 I don't think I have nearly enough Energy Shield (around 3k right now) to take the nodes. I also think I hosed up by not taking Pyromaniac in the Saboteur tree, since that seems to be the key to getting big ES regen.

Is there a good, modern guide to transitioning over to CI? I assume I need capped elemental resists, decent life regen (for Zealot's), and a lot more ES.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

nerox posted:

Does the "Gain 10% of elemental damage as extra chaos damage" effect spell damage?

Also, can someone take a look at my character and kind of give me some direction as to what upgrades I should be going for? I am approaching T9-T10 and its getting a bit rougher.

I have about 200C to my name right now and for the most part still using my 1c-5c gear that I got to max out resists.

Your gloves, boots, hat and amulet all have minimal life rolls, replace those with 80+ life gear

terrified of my bathroom fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 13, 2018

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

nerox posted:

Purity of Flesh is well worth getting. Deep Thoughts and Herbalism are pretty good too. Could always put a shield in your off hand to help with the damage increase.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
Path of Exile: we can't just start kicking every goon with severe mental deficiencies

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

please knock Mom! posted:

Go ask chris_wilson on Reddit what he thinks about having 1000+ population megaguilds, maybe you'll get lucky in 4.0

More like the reddit population will down vote you and tell you to stop inviting everyone who applies that you don't even know. Pubbies can't fathom that we are all from the same community. The ffxiv thread on the of about guild cap was amazing to read.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Soothing Vapors posted:

the mental image of some dude charging 5c to wildly spam jewelers on a chestpiece without ever questioning why is deeply funny

I could see this as a legitimate labor/capitalist relationship if I squint hard enough.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
If it didn't have the 6 socket protection, I could see that being a thing. It would be hella tedious having to check after every click.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTrvJn4IBbA

CI cold snap occultist with a focus on dot damage if anyone's interested. Still low level, so more of a proof of concept than anything.

Scags
Nov 12, 2005
Are there any decent wands for a low level wander? I am trying to level as wands (against basically everyone's advice) and I'm having an OK time with power siphon, ele hit, barrage, etc. but my weapon is beyond terrible. I doubt anyone is selling a low level rare but I haven't looked. Any uniques come to mind?

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Storm Prison

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Scags posted:

Are there any decent wands for a low level wander? I am trying to level as wands (against basically everyone's advice) and I'm having an OK time with power siphon, ele hit, barrage, etc. but my weapon is beyond terrible. I doubt anyone is selling a low level rare but I haven't looked. Any uniques come to mind?

Storm prison can take you til maps (or whenever you get another source of power charges). Twyzel can be pretty good later on too.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Holyshoot posted:

More like the reddit population will down vote you and tell you to stop inviting everyone who applies that you don't even know. Pubbies can't fathom that we are all from the same community. The ffxiv thread on the of about guild cap was amazing to read.

any highlights from that?

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

Syle187 posted:

I'm obliterating T15 maps with Rain of Arrows on a 5L it really isn't that bad. Especially for bossing you have the Vaal version which melts everything it touches. You start seeing the damage drop off on guardians though thats for sure. Keep at it, rain of arrows is my favorite bow skill so far.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

One thing I've noticed with Rain of Arrows in PoB is that it's not listed anywhere near it's actual damage. The damage listed is just your Average Damage multiplied by your attacks per second, when in reality you also have to multiply that by the number of arrows that hit. Given that at least 50% of all your arrows fired in a volley will hit a target in the aoe, on single target bosses that comes to a minimum of (Avg.Dam * att.second)*11. This doesn't factor in that each arrow does a mini-aoe when it hits the ground, so you'll also have a sort-of kinetic-blast effect going on.

So yeah, couple that with being able to also use Vaal Rain of Arrows, which has the same interaction but fires four volleys per use, and you have 2 uses to store, it's not surprising it tears through most bosses.

As always, I'm sure someone else can work out the math to a much better degree.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Personally I want to do ROA traps. Bladefall traps was great but the memory leak killed it, and ROA traps looks like the enxt best thing

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

Keru posted:

One thing I've noticed with Rain of Arrows in PoB is that it's not listed anywhere near it's actual damage. The damage listed is just your Average Damage multiplied by your attacks per second, when in reality you also have to multiply that by the number of arrows that hit. Given that at least 50% of all your arrows fired in a volley will hit a target in the aoe, on single target bosses that comes to a minimum of (Avg.Dam * att.second)*11. This doesn't factor in that each arrow does a mini-aoe when it hits the ground, so you'll also have a sort-of kinetic-blast effect going on.

So yeah, couple that with being able to also use Vaal Rain of Arrows, which has the same interaction but fires four volleys per use, and you have 2 uses to store, it's not surprising it tears through most bosses.

As always, I'm sure someone else can work out the math to a much better degree.

I am fairly certain that against a single target you do not get 50% of all arrows landing on them, The graphics do not line up with this at all, and it would be the single highest damage dealing attack in the game by almost double. I believe that once a target has been chosen for RoA, it can not be chosen a second time, thus against a single target you get 1 guaranteed arrow and 20ish random explosions, giving the attack a very large damage variance.

What I am interested in learning about with regards to RoA is how increasing area of effect impacts the ability. Because the arrows drop in concentric circles, it is possible that increase the aoe doesn't increase the spread, and only increases the explosion aoe, thus increase aoe would greatly increases damage potential.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Soothing Vapors posted:

Personally I want to do ROA traps. Bladefall traps was great but the memory leak killed it, and ROA traps looks like the enxt best thing

Bow trap is extraordinarily strong. I'm doing ele hit but honestly you can use any skill. the multipliers of chin sol, point blank and cluster traps are so good

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Divination_Distillate

(40-60)% increased Rarity of Items found during Flask effect
(12-18)% increased Quantity of Items found during Flask effect
25% increased Light Radius during Flask effect
+4% to all maximum Elemental Resistances during Flask effect

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Soul_Catcher

Cannot gain Mana during effect
Vaal Skills deal (60-100)% increased Damage during effect
Vaal Skills have 25% reduced Soul Cost during effect
Vaal Skills used during effect have (40-20)% reduced Soul Gain Prevention Duration

I wonder if they realized that effect with the new flask. Probably need a soul taker to really take advantage of this though.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bugsy posted:

Vaal Skills used during effect have (40-20)% reduced Soul Gain Prevention Duration

I wonder if they realized that effect with the new flask. Probably need a soul taker to really take advantage of this though.

That also applies to zerphi's

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Fenris13 posted:

I am fairly certain that against a single target you do not get 50% of all arrows landing on them, The graphics do not line up with this at all, and it would be the single highest damage dealing attack in the game by almost double. I believe that once a target has been chosen for RoA, it can not be chosen a second time, thus against a single target you get 1 guaranteed arrow and 20ish random explosions, giving the attack a very large damage variance.

What I am interested in learning about with regards to RoA is how increasing area of effect impacts the ability. Because the arrows drop in concentric circles, it is possible that increase the aoe doesn't increase the spread, and only increases the explosion aoe, thus increase aoe would greatly increases damage potential.

I'm running it with conc. effect, to make sure as many of the arrows land in close enough proximity to get the explosions going off on a single target as well, so that's probably where the majority of the real damage is coming from. Right now the aoe on it is at 20, which is comparitively tiny, so having 22 arrows all hitting that is going to make an impact.

Edit: Rain of Arrows also don't get the increase in radius that other aoe skills get from levels, so it'll always stay a small radius

Keru fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 13, 2018

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Fenris13 posted:

Increased area does increase the overall coverage.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Bugsy posted:

Please explain. Newerish player and I don't really follow how these interact and am curious what the deal is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaardean
May 28, 2012

TheRat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTrvJn4IBbA

CI cold snap occultist with a focus on dot damage if anyone's interested. Still low level, so more of a proof of concept than anything.

I'm super curious about Cold Snap Occultist with Indigon or something once the bugfix on CS goes out this week. Most people don't seem to realize the dot from the chilled ground stacks with itself, though that could be part of the bug, where damage over time effects like Cold Snap and Siphoning Trap can become permanent on enemies.