Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
I guess thats for the law to decide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
matt "the law" lindland, ik of the athletic comission

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Hello Twisty

Wdit: my mistake

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

I hate the bird thread.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Hello Im

twisty

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

sportsgenius86 posted:

Greg Hardy is now a UFC fighter

he's probably 3 KO victories away from a HW title shot

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

Kind of pissed I couldn't live post the card because I was freaking dying when yoel stood motionless for round one, invented a new guard to stand motionless with in round 2, then got tagged in round 3 and started fighting in eddy gordo style

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Matt Lindland posted:

Kind of pissed I couldn't live post the card because I was freaking dying when yoel stood motionless for round one, invented a new guard to stand motionless with in round 2, then got tagged in round 3 and started fighting in eddy gordo style

Round2 nick Diaz guard

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Dana being angry at Mike Jackson for not finishing Punk is dumb. Jackson did Punk a favor by not hurting him.

Like I get Punk signed up for it and blah blah but Punk is incredibly lucky that both Gall and Jackson were nice enough not to give him permanent brain damage with a nasty ko punch. Both were capable of doing that. Gall certainly, but even Jackson is a way better striker than Punk.

I get being mad he clowned around but really it's for the best that he didn't hurt Punk. Does anyone really wanna see a guy who is never gonna fight in the UFC again get the poo poo beat out of him?

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Ginette Reno posted:

I get being mad he clowned around but really it's for the best that he didn't hurt Punk. Does anyone really wanna see a guy who is never gonna fight in the UFC again get the poo poo beat out of him?

Making it end faster would have been better because it would have spared Punk having to embarrass himself for fifteen minutes and also Jackson would have appeared actually competent, but then we might not have got that GIF of the punk-o-tine so I'm not sure where I stand.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ginette Reno posted:

Dana being angry at Mike Jackson for not finishing Punk is dumb. Jackson did Punk a favor by not hurting him.

Like I get Punk signed up for it and blah blah but Punk is incredibly lucky that both Gall and Jackson were nice enough not to give him permanent brain damage with a nasty ko punch. Both were capable of doing that. Gall certainly, but even Jackson is a way better striker than Punk.

The old dichotomy in UFC was that joe silva cared about the sport and Dana cared about the show.

The show part of the ufc, as in show business, is that you’re getting paid to demonstrate your talent and skills. This is why Dana would get pissed at Roy Nelson all the time, who was perfectly happy with coasting to a decision as long as he got the W.

Mike Jackson probably felt like a huge badass by effortlessly defeating punk but all we saw was a bad fighter not putting in any effort vs another bad fighter. His indifference to putting on an exciting show is why Dana is so pissed at him.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Ginette Reno posted:

Lol

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Ginette Reno posted:

In the sport of MMA, we have a 3rd guy in the cage who usually wears a black shirt. He is the referee, and its his job to stop the fight when someone is no longer able to defend themselves.

Doing just enough damage so that the ref is constantly close to stopping the fight, but then steps back when you ease up, is not being kind or doing him a favor. Its what you do when you want to hurt someone as much as you possibly can. It was actually cruel on top of being dumb.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ginette Reno posted:

[99% of UFC viewers]: Yes.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Ginette Reno posted:

he did get the poo poo beat out of him. rather badly by the sounds of it since he went straight to hospital on a stretcher afterwards

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

If Mike Jackson had any respect for his opponent, or the sport of MMA, he would have done the honorable thing and beaten CM Punk literally to death.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sVtGz1IuTM&t=36s

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Rigel posted:

In the sport of MMA, we have a 3rd guy in the cage who usually wears a black shirt. He is the referee, and its his job to stop the fight when someone is no longer able to defend themselves.

Doing just enough damage so that the ref is constantly close to stopping the fight, but then steps back when you ease up, is not being kind or doing him a favor. Its what you do when you want to hurt someone as much as you possibly can. It was actually cruel on top of being dumb.

I dunno if him sitting on top lightly playing the bongos or tickling him while he was on the ground was him trying to punish CM Punk. If he really wanted to hurt him, he could have ground and pounded the absolute poo poo out of him when he had him down. He could have killed him on the feet too. He did neither of these things.

Regardless of why he did neither of them whether he wanted to embarrass Punk, or the UFC, or just be a showboating rear end, or because he's just a really bad fighter, or any combination of the above, it was good because Punk didn't take any permanent damage from it apparently considering he was discharged from the hospital with no injuries.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
You think I’m watching combat sports to see some guy get the poo poo beaten out of him?

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Ginette Reno posted:

I dunno if him sitting on top lightly playing the bongos or tickling him while he was on the ground was him trying to punish CM Punk. If he really wanted to hurt him, he could have ground and pounded the absolute poo poo out of him when he had him down. He could have killed him on the feet too. He did neither of these things.

Regardless of why he did neither of them whether he wanted to embarrass Punk, or the UFC, or just be a showboating rear end, or because he's just a really bad fighter, or any combination of the above, it was good because Punk didn't take any permanent damage from it apparently considering he was discharged from the hospital with no injuries.

Lol

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I think Punk getting the poo poo beaten out of him all 15 minutes in embarrassing fashion and it making Dana super mad is exactly what everyone deserved.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If he loves MMA, he should have hosed CM Punk, as is MMA tradition.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Josuke Higashikata posted:

If he loves MMA, he should have hosed CM Punk, as is MMA tradition.

Indeed punk's only road to victory may have been to adopt a submissive posture and let his opponent pass him by

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

mewse posted:

Indeed punk's only road to victory may have been to adopt a submissive posture and let his opponent pass him by

Seriously, tho, what was GSP's intent on sharing that video?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

TheKingslayer posted:

I think Punk getting the poo poo beaten out of him all 15 minutes in embarrassing fashion and it making Dana super mad is exactly what everyone deserved.

the CM Punk Pepsi Challenge

Rude_Dude
Jun 2, 2009

wow gently caress you tj you snake motherfucker. i hope cody ko's him and i don't like cody

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
If you get in the cage you know what your getting into, honestly I would be embarrassed if a guy was clearly taking it easy on me.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Matt Lindland posted:

I hate the bird thread.

What?

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Very cool

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

eric posted:

he's probably 3 KO victories away from a HW title shot

I'm pretty sure there isn't a heavyweight alive who this isn't true for.

Colby got paid more than 300,000 for whatever the gently caress he was doing, roughly the same as what Max Holloway got for a second virtuoso performance against one of the best guys to ever do it. This bothers me more than it should.

zerozerozero
Sep 7, 2017
They should have made Punk fight some other 40-something pro wrestler that just started training too, that way two pro wrestlers can get made fun of (I don't like pro wrestling).

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

zerozerozero posted:

They should have made Punk fight some other 40-something pro wrestler that just started training too, that way two pro wrestlers can get made fun of (I don't like pro wrestling).

He's been "training" for over 6 years.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Snowman_McK posted:

I'm pretty sure there isn't a heavyweight alive who this isn't true for.

Colby got paid more than 300,000 for whatever the gently caress he was doing, roughly the same as what Max Holloway got for a second virtuoso performance against one of the best guys to ever do it. This bothers me more than it should.

CM Punk made more money than Colby lol

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

zerozerozero posted:

weird bc it sounds like you wanna watch pro wrestling

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I enjoy pro wrestling conceptually (live theater + weekly serial drama + big fun stunts) but not often in practice. I wish the UFC had more story arcs that couldn't be summarized with "cocaine and alcohol are super fun together"

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The idea of pro wrestling theatrics and characters culminating in actual MMA sounds cool as hell. Why does that not exist?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

punk has been training long enough that he should be able to at least hold his own if he was able to actually retain skill and gain something from his sessions with roufousport. he didn't and he can't. age isn't the issue here, the issue is he's just not an athlete who can compete with other fighters who have an athletic background, be it wrestling, football, any martial art, he's just a long time hobbyist who won't be able to get past the bare fundamentals needed for mma. if his ground game is his focus, he should be entering beginner level bjj meets.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

DoombatINC posted:

I enjoy pro wrestling conceptually (live theater + weekly serial drama + big fun stunts) but not often in practice. I wish the UFC had more story arcs that couldn't be summarized with "cocaine and alcohol are super fun together"

serious athletes usually live boring lives unfortunately

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I like when Tyron Woodley and Ben Askren get asked about CM Punk bc they try to say nice things about their teammate and the best they can do is like "uh he works really hard and cleans the mats real well every day"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

1st AD posted:

CM Punk made more money than Colby lol

You can at least understand how that happened. The Colby thing is one of the true mysteries of our time.

Also, apparently 225 did 150k buys, which seems pretty bad.

• Locked thread