Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Can’t wait to read the eventual story about wtf is going on with 10nm at Intel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
when is intel going to say gently caress this and go straight to 5nm, because the gloflo/ibm/samsung partnership has plans for 5nm.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
They're working on 7nm and they claim it's going better than 10nm but I don't know when it would be ready for volume production.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

MaxxBot posted:

There's also this, hopefully 10nm is working by 2020

https://twitter.com/intelnews/status/1006592543201480706

Can't wait to put an Intel GPU in my Ryzen 3 system to play Battlefield 2143

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

wargames posted:

when is intel going to say gently caress this and go straight to 5nm, because the gloflo/ibm/samsung partnership has plans for 5nm.
Isn't there some kind of quantum physics issue with that (disclaimer: I studied political science and remember reading about this on wikipedia)

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Isn't there some kind of quantum physics issue with that (disclaimer: I studied political science and remember reading about this on wikipedia)

Yes, we are approaching the point where the quantum positions available to an electron are larger than the physical size of a transistor at even the lowest voltages possible. The solution is to make the transistor bigger by including more material without making them wider or longer. This is what FinFET and Gate-All-Around are doing.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Can't wait to play Battlefield 2143

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

MaxxBot posted:

They're working on 7nm and they claim it's going better than 10nm but I don't know when it would be ready for volume production.

There are rumors Intel's 7nm will slip a (edit) year 1 or 2 as well. I'd expect almost everyone's to slip really but Intel seems to have had the most ambitious goals for process improvements vs almost anyone else which seems to be part of the problem.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jun 13, 2018

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

There are rumors Intel's 7nm will slip a 1 or 2 as well. I'd expect almost everyone's to slip really but Intel seems to have had the most ambitious goals for process improvements vs almost anyone else which seems to be part of the problem.

It's gonna really boring for anyone who doesn't need lotsa cores.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Palladium posted:

It's gonna really boring for anyone who doesn't need lotsa cores.

Well if Intel keeps loving up this bad AMD might pass them up in single-threaded performance as well. Whatever happens it's a more exciting CPU landscape than 2012-2016 was.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jun 13, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The new rumor is eight-core Coffee Lake by September: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/intel-8-core-coffee-lake-to-be-released-in-this-fall.html

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Is it time to reverse Intel/AMD on the cores/cores comic?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

hobbesmaster posted:

Is it time to reverse Intel/AMD on the cores/cores comic?

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Finally!

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
make moar chipsets

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

make moar chipsets

i think you mean, refresh 14nm moar!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

wargames posted:

i think you mean, refresh 14nm moar!

But if you get to 14nm++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ won't that mean you're right back to 28nm???

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Xae posted:

But if you get to 14nm++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ won't that mean you're right back to 28nm???

no, the calculations are done with the fab size before it's incremented

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

How about a chipset with onboard 2.5gb\5gb nic support.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

incoherent posted:

How about a chipset with onboard 2.5gb\5gb nic support.

i mean amd is rolling out boards with 10gbit, intel will have to come up with their own solution in 3 years.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

wargames posted:

i mean amd is rolling out boards with 10gbit, intel will have to come up with their own solution in 3 years.

10gbit is so incredibly overdue, we've had standard 1gbit for like 15 years now. I wanna boot off a NAS drat it!

(the adapters aren't too bad, it's just the switches that are insane. Oddly, infiniband gear is vastly cheaper if you don't need too many long cable runs)

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Gentlemen, start your glue guns.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I've wanted 10G for years now. Whats the most affordable 8 port unit available these days?

Looks like maybe this thing which seems new: https://www.amazon.com/QSW-1208-8C-...&keywords=10gbe

redeyes fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 15, 2018

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Ubiquity has one, which is pretty affordable. Compare to other 10G switches at least.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Mikrotik are even cheaper if you don't mind sfp+ dac cables

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

SlowBloke posted:

Mikrotik are even cheaper if you don't mind sfp+ dac cables

Thats the whole problem. Gotta be using normal Cat6.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

redeyes posted:

Thats the whole problem. Gotta be using normal Cat6.

SFP+ to 10gig base-t transceivers go for $180 on fiberstore if you absolutely need to go that route.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I was assuming netgear would make the cheapest 10G switch but it’s still not that cheap.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

SFP+ to 10gig base-t transceivers go for $180 on fiberstore if you absolutely need to go that route.

I would if it were cheaper but it's not even close. I don't suppose there are any cheaper transceivers?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

redeyes posted:

I would if it were cheaper but it's not even close. I don't suppose there are any cheaper transceivers?

Fiberstore generally has the cheapest stuff that's somewhat reputable, unless you want to try some of those direct from china wholesale sites.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
While we're on the topic, if I wanted some QSFP fiber transceivers for Infiniband QDR (40 gbit), what would I be looking for? I don't really know anything about fiber stuff.

If there's multiple types of fiber, then I guess suggest some transceivers that work with a type that's relatively cheap surplused/used.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 15, 2018

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Paul MaudDib posted:

While we're on the topic, if I wanted some QSFP fiber transceivers for Infiniband QDR (40 gbit), what would I be looking for? I don't really know anything about fiber stuff.

If there's multiple types of fiber, then I guess suggest some transceivers that work with a type that's relatively cheap surplused/used.

Check out mellanox for an idea, their stuff doesn’t seem to be too crazy expensive for enterprise and their website is good for explaining the various options to give you an idea what to look for when trolling ebay: http://www.mellanox.com/products/interconnect/ethernet-optical-transceivers.php

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

If I had to guess, I would say we are real close from copper multigigabit becoming mainstream. Aquantia is about to launch cheap ($25) USB3.0->5gbe dongles based on a new PHY, and Intel and AMD both already have on-die 10gbe in the embedded market. I imagine cheaper switches will follow quickly once it becomes more ubiquitous. And ASUS and Asrock both sell 1151/2066 motherboards with on-board multi-gbe (not the weird bundled card thing) now.

My prediction is that 10gbe will be fairly common on ~$175 motherboards next generation, and PCIe 4.0 and DDR5 in the generation after that.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Multimode is the cheaper stuff and for short-range runs. Don't get in to single-mode if you're staying inside the building unless its a really long haul.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I am not sure if they will work with fixed-speed 10GBase-X devices but Mikrotik has 10/100/1G/2.5G/5G/10G SFP+s with an MSRP of $65, less in practice if you're looking to get a cheap 10G copper PHY.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Eletriarnation posted:

I am not sure if they will work with fixed-speed 10GBase-X devices but Mikrotik has 10/100/1G/2.5G/5G/10G SFP+s with an MSRP of $65, less in practice if you're looking to get a cheap 10G copper PHY.

Im not familiar with fixed-speed 10GBase-X. Are you saying they wont negotiate down to 1Gb?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Worst part of Intel monopoly is the lack of chipset io improvements. We've been stuck on pcie3 for like a decade. Lack of usbc is probably related to intel not improving the PCH.

Also non integrated chipset is weird as heck. Amd moved to a soc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

redeyes posted:

Im not familiar with fixed-speed 10GBase-X. Are you saying they wont negotiate down to 1Gb?

Most 10G SFP+ ports I'm familiar with are in enterprise gear and they only go down to 1G if it's specifically configured and a 1G SFP is inserted, if at all. These transceivers support the newer 6-speed autonegotiating standard which I assume the Mikrotik SFP+ switches also support, but if put into a non-6-speed port I don't know if they will work only on the supported modes or not at all.