Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
So are we clear or not clear on what's actually in Abernathy's head? I forget the specific lines between Hale and Writer-guy about it besides being an insurance policy in case Ford nuked the place. But are they implying it was some sort of back up of the Cradle or something else? And why is it being called a key now instead of him having the actual valuable data?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

So are we clear or not clear on what's actually in Abernathy's head? I forget the specific lines between Hale and Writer-guy about it besides being an insurance policy in case Ford nuked the place. But are they implying it was some sort of back up of the Cradle or something else? And why is it being called a key now instead of him having the actual valuable data?

Those are two different things, I’m pretty sure. Dolores has or had Abernathy’s head and also knows how to open something because she learned about it in the past.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

It is a very large encryption key which likely gives access to the blank bodies that are in the Valley Beyond. Dolores, Ghost Nation, and Maeve all want to access them to transfer Host consciousness to blank human skins.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Elise the actress is way cuter when she isn't on westworld.

Also this was cute
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb6gf_-9_-s

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

superjew posted:

I don't understand the distinction, but I think it's implied that Ford is fine in Bernard's head (possibly because Bernard is a stable mind). If Ford's control unit was put in a mcmuffin and put in printed body, software wouldn't run on the hardware and he'd deteriorate.

So I think I have the Delos business plan so far: A guest spends time at Westworld interacting with hosts in their loops and all their actions are documented. Their DNA is collected from body fluids or probably from hair in their hats when they return them. The guest's personality is programmed and the program is run over and over again in the cradle until the program reliably repeats the guest's actions during their visit. The DNA is used to print the guest's body, the personality is loaded in, and you have a copy of the guest that can be controlled. We still don't know what the end game was, but I'm guessing it's more nefarious than focus grouping those copies on new dorito flavors.

Speculation, but I wonder if the valley beyond is another "park", but it's the full of the guest copies that have been made. I also wonder if the valley will have a copy of all the hosts; It would be interesting to see Dolores/Teddy come face to face with their old selves.

The guests were two-fold data collection:
1) Using them as test variables to the Hosts' "control" allowed Delos to refine their cognition builds for the immortality project they are selling to the super-rich
2) Collecting all of that data allowed them marketing knowledge about the world's richest and most powerful influencers
Bonus) Pod people of the rich and famous

My :speculate: is that the Valley Beyond is the mind-storage facility for Delos' immortality project. The people who are paying to be resurrected ("James Delos would rather die than make a bad deal") have their mindscans backed up there while the company works out the last few kinks with Dadbot in the fishtank. Unfortunately, Ford made everything go all-Baghdad-n-poo poo and it looks like they won't push poor, mad James Delos across the finish line before Dolores and BerFordald ruin everything.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

KoRMaK posted:

Elise the actress is way cuter when she isn't on westworld.

Also this was cute
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb6gf_-9_-s

So the reason Theresa and Emily both smoke the same way is that their actors are both from northern Europe playing Americans and (probably) the only actors on the show who smoke?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Am I right thinking the Valley Beyond is the place Ake saw under construction which is the same place in the restaurant scene with Ford in season 1?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

business hammocks posted:

So the reason Theresa and Emily both smoke the same way is that their actors are both from northern Europe playing Americans and (probably) the only actors on the show who smoke?
Not just northern Europe, the same country.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

Am I right thinking the Valley Beyond is the place Ake saw under construction which is the same place in the restaurant scene with Ford in season 1?

It is the place he saw under construction, but it is not the same place as that scene from S1.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Wait, "Grace/Emily" ? Did I miss something?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

WampaLord posted:

It is the place he saw under construction, but it is not the same place as that scene from S1.

Hum, I just vaguely remember that scene. Wanst the restaurant near a huge construction site?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

Hum, I just vaguely remember that scene. Wanst the restaurant near a huge construction site?

Yes, but that was Ford re-raising the church town where Wyatt killed Arnold back in the day, it wasn't the Valley Beyond project.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Wait, "Grace/Emily" ? Did I miss something?

She's introduced as Grace while in The Raj but her actual name is Emily. I think the fake name was to avoid spoiling the "reveal" that she was William's daughter because he mentioned her being named Emily at some point in S1 (I think).

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Not just northern Europe, the same country.

Close: one is a dane and one is dutch. I wanted to just say it was the same culture, but that seemed kind of chauvinistic.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
So anyone else thinking Maeve might ending up becoming the initial node of what's essentially a host hive mind?

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Ohtsam posted:

So anyone else thinking Maeve might ending up becoming the initial node of what's essentially a host hive mind?

Seems plausible, since Ford has no trouble existing in Bernarfordald so far, and the Crfordle was a thing. She just has to upload herself to the cloud.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

business hammocks posted:

Close: one is a dane and one is dutch. I wanted to just say it was the same culture, but that seemed kind of chauvinistic.
As a dane myself, I'll have you know that I've read enough comments on the internet to realize that we and the dutch are the same country.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

WampaLord posted:

She's introduced as Grace while in The Raj but her actual name is Emily. I think the fake name was to avoid spoiling the "reveal" that she was William's daughter because he mentioned her being named Emily at some point in S1 (I think).

It makes sense in-setting, too. Nobody calls the Man in Black "William". Using fake names would be both an RP thing for people who want an immersive experience and an anonymity/deniability thing for rich and powerful guests.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm very impressed with Katja Herbers' lack of accent, her English sounds practically immaculate. Speaking as a Dutch guy, at least.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

wizard on a water slide posted:

It makes sense in-setting, too. Nobody calls the Man in Black "William". Using fake names would be both an RP thing for people who want an immersive experience and an anonymity/deniability thing for rich and powerful guests.

He got super pissed off when those dudes recognized him in S1.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

TK-42-1 posted:

Maybe changing your name fucks with the park's ability to map your brain, subtly changing the experience to make the collected data useless.

I don't know how sensitive the overall WestWorld machine is. But William and Emily are the only two who lied about their name in the park, and are the only Delos employees we know about who are guests.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Maybe changing your name fucks with the park's ability to map your brain, subtly changing the experience to make the collected data useless.

I don't know how sensitive the overall WestWorld machine is. But William and Emily are the only two who lied about their name in the park, and are the only Delos employees we know about who are guests.

William never lied about his name in the park. We just never hear old William state his name. He was pissed because they ruined his immersion and this is his goddamn vacation.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

If I was at Disney and I saw Bill Gates sitting there I'd say hi too. Annoying Guy Who Said Hi to William at the Campfire That One Night did nothing wrong.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It's not really surprising that the daughter of the CEO was trying not to draw too much attention while she was there on her secret mission.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Undercover Boss: Westworld Edition

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Big Taint posted:

Seems plausible, since Ford has no trouble existing in Bernarfordald so far, and the Crfordle was a thing. She just has to upload herself to the cloud.

*upload herself to the clfourd

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

If I was at Disney and I saw Bill Gates sitting there I'd say hi too. Annoying Guy Who Said Hi to William at the Campfire That One Night did nothing wrong.

If I was at the Fuckworld buffet between trains or whatever, I might just let it go.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

He was pissed because they ruined his immersion

Yeah, but that also explains why people would use different names. Ford even tells us this, outright, in season 1: "Guests don't come here to find out who they are. They already know who they are. They come here to find out what they might become."

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

bring back old gbs posted:

Undercover Boss: Westworld Edition

*William with a large fake mustache watches a Guest violently sexually assaulting a host at the brothel*

*cut away to interview*

That was really hard to watch, knowing that this is the kind of company I'm running. I had to make this right, that's just not the kind of place I want people to know I own.

*cut back*

*techs in red and white hazmat suits replace the host with a much sexier one*

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

And he gives one of the techs a $5,000 scholarship to sexbot programming school because he was so moved by their Protestant Work Ethic.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

How many CEOs would you recognize on the street if they didn’t have a huge entourage drawing attention? Maybe Bill Gates, Steve Jobs...uhhhh, Richard Branson? I don’t even know the name of Disneys lets alone what he looks like.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
If it’s anything like my company, pretty easily. HR makes sure to have plenty of pictures of the dude around the back of house doing regular guy stuff since he’s just like one of us!

We even were on Undercover Boss too.

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich

drunken officeparty posted:

How many CEOs would you recognize on the street if they didn’t have a huge entourage drawing attention? Maybe Bill Gates, Steve Jobs...uhhhh, Richard Branson? I don’t even know the name of Disneys lets alone what he looks like.

I recognized the chick who runs spanx in the last episode of Billions.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

If it’s anything like my company, pretty easily. HR makes sure to have plenty of pictures of the dude around the back of house doing regular guy stuff since he’s just like one of us!

We even were on Undercover Boss too.

Having the kind of boss that would want to do Undercover boss sounds terrible.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Having the kind of boss that would want to do Undercover boss sounds terrible.

I never thought about this before but it is absolute true

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Pellisworth posted:

Could the original maze symbol Aki finds in the bar have been planted by the original Arnold?

We literally see Arnold playing with the toy maze and then setting it down on the bar next to the bottle of whisky before he walks outside to get shot by Dolores in S1E10.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

TK-42-1 posted:

Well he shouldn't made his avatar look like him then.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

tino posted:

Well he shouldn't made his avatar look like him then.

He had a busty anime babe as an avatar but then once the park opened, Arnold forced everyone into their real appearances and locked up the park until someone beat the game.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Ford's "they never died, they simply became music" speech makes more sense once you know he's uploaded his consciousness.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Oh hey I forgot to make a joke a few pages ago when everyone was talking about subscription-based DelosPets and I'd just like to say that Park4 should be all Host Puppy Versus Kitten Bowl like on animal planet during halftime of the Super Bowl.

tyvm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

We actually know what four of the parks are now that Emily mentioned an 18+ fuckzone one, although the other ones just seem like fuckzones with extra steps.