Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Hamelekim posted:

They said no release before 2020.

Where did that come from?

Given they have another game coming out in 2021, per the last investor's call, it'll be really tight to do a post-release cycle for Cyberpunk and ramping up for a.n.other game at the same time. Not that it can't be done if it's early 2020 and then a late 2021 release for next game I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Comrade Fakename posted:

As much as I’m really hyped for this game, I do wonder how real of a criticism of capitalism it can be, considering that as an RPG, inevitably the numbers will go up. By gameplay necessity you will end up bootstrapping your way up to the higher echelons of society.

Yeah but what did you do to get there? Do you like what you did? Do you like the people you dealt with? There's potentially so much to these stories beyond "a character became rich and powerful". You can slide into the game, play a character that's literally a mercenary and interact by playing a role then think about what it said as a real person away from the game. It's the same as any media.

Like, you don't necessarily need to kill scarface for that story to be interesting or poignant as a critique. We don't even know what the core plot is in 2077 and you might in the end be taking down the corps. You might on the other hand elect to play Patrick Bateman 2077.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Comrade Fakename posted:

Like, I love the Witcher 3, but that game starts out with Geralt as a member of an underclass who gets spat at on the street, but by the end you have an ungodly amount of cash, the most valuable armour and weapons in the world, you’re pals with most of the crowned heads and power players in the region, your adopted daughter is next in line to become empress, you are gifted a beautiful villa with a farm and attendant staff, and you basically own a castle in Kaer Morhen.

I generally think the Witcher stories are at their worst when trying to comment on the fantasy racism/classism of their world because fantasy is not as clever as it seems in that way- in a way it very much accords with the beliefs of many racists- that people are fundamentally and actually different biologically.

Geralt is probably the worst part of the games also because he seems basically immune to the harshness of the world around him.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Comrade Fakename posted:

As much as I’m really hyped for this game, I do wonder how real of a criticism of capitalism it can be, considering that as an RPG, inevitably the numbers will go up. By gameplay necessity you will end up bootstrapping your way up to the higher echelons of society.

Like, I love the Witcher 3, but that game starts out with Geralt as a member of an underclass who gets spat at on the street, but by the end you have an ungodly amount of cash, the most valuable armour and weapons in the world, you’re pals with most of the crowned heads and power players in the region, your adopted daughter is next in line to become empress, you are gifted a beautiful villa with a farm and attendant staff, and you basically own a castle in Kaer Morhen.

Are you saying a game in which you gain wealth by mass murder can't be a criticism of capitalism?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, it's a really good sign just how hyped Pondsmith seems to be about the whole thing.

Exactly.

I'm not a fan of preorders but I want to preorder this so hard. Everything described is my dream game.

If it's not clear yet CP2020 is my #1 paper and pen RPG too.

Bring on the corporate wars as expansion packs. :black101:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

DancingShade posted:

Exactly.

I'm not a fan of preorders but I want to preorder this so hard. Everything described is my dream game.

If it's not clear yet CP2020 is my #1 paper and pen RPG too.

Bring on the corporate wars as expansion packs. :black101:

Also, depending on whether you were thinking PC or console, another good reason not to preorder is that the new consoles may very well be out by the time this game releases. It’ll probably run on the PS4/Bone, but it might well not run well.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

CottonWolf posted:

Also, depending on whether you were thinking PC or console, another good reason not to preorder is that the new consoles may very well be out by the time this game releases. It’ll probably run on the PS4/Bone, but it might well not run well.

Good point. Very good point. PC for me but console players definitely want to be careful since the current generation only has 2-3 years left.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

PST posted:

Where did that come from?

Given they have another game coming out in 2021, per the last investor's call, it'll be really tight to do a post-release cycle for Cyberpunk and ramping up for a.n.other game at the same time. Not that it can't be done if it's early 2020 and then a late 2021 release for next game I guess.

I dunno, I've only seen them explicitly refuse to mention any date or timeframe whatsoever for the release.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

CottonWolf posted:

Mouse/Keyboard? :downs:

I can't stand playing an fprpg or fps with a controller.

I'll stick with the pc version.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
They have full nudity and sex which could net an AO rating in united states and drugs with positive effects which usually results in refused classification in Australia. I wonder what their plan for ratings is.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pyromancer posted:

They have full nudity and sex which could net an AO rating in united states and drugs with positive effects which usually results in refused classification in Australia. I wonder what their plan for ratings is.

Lock the ratings board members in a secure airtight warehouse room with a single hacksaw. Tell them one of them swallowed the key during lunch and they only have two hours of oxygen.

Broadcast the whole thing in braindance.

Real talk, the solution to the drugs thing is to use a fake name. (aka the Fallout 3 Med-X solution) I don't know about the boobs thing in the USA.

VVVV Yeah was going to buy this on GoG anyway. Plus I know what a VPN is if that comes down to it.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jun 14, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'll just buy it on GOG because CDPR don't care, console gamers I will weep for

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Shed not a tear for the bodies of our fallen console cousins. Biotechnica will recycle their corpses into lucrative products for resale this financial quarter.

*lean back in board room chair, adjusts neon reflective tie with Kevlar mesh underlay*

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Pyromancer posted:

If that's a major distribution hurdle they can always sell the game with nudity covered and day 1 free/0,01$ DLC that adds it.
Creative assembly does that with "blood and gore" patches.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

on Gibson: Cyberpunk 2020 was conceived as a game, not a book or movie, which is why without playing the video game adaptation of it it's impossible to form an opinion on how it actually feels. Tone piece trailers give you an idea, but it's not the equivalent of reading a book or playing a game.

on Daytime: For one, even if this were a pure daytime interpretation of the source material, like Max Payne 3 for instance, I trust CDPR to make it work. But it's not, for one thing. And looking back, IMO it worked really well for MP3, turning it to more Mann-style noir.

on First Person: First Person used to be inferior to Third mainly because of the LOD of textures and models, which made looking at things close up way more ugly than it looks now. If you haven't, go play the newest Deus Ex. The amount of mileage they get out of you being able to actually get a good look at your surroundings is insane, compared to similar LOD tech jumps like Half Life 2 or System Shock. It also works much better for interiors, which I imagine need to be cramped and stuffed full of things, even outdoor areas like street markets and such. And moving through cramped areas is much better in 1st. Verticality also works much better because your default viewpoint in 3rd is looking slightly down, in 1st you can much more easily see stuff like ledges and ladders. I'm guessing the decision wasn't a style question, but an informed decision to use the viewpoint that makes more sense.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Wallpapers:

https://imgur.com/a/D8aixWd

It kinda looks like Ciri's model, actually.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Pyromancer posted:

If there's no dicks, i'm not gonna buy.

T&A is fine and all, but dicks are quite important.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
My problem with FPS view is that games have come a long way and feature incredibly lifelike and dynamic animations while first person games are still just a floating gun.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

WaltherFeng posted:

My problem with FPS view is that games have come a long way and feature incredibly lifelike and dynamic animations while first person games are still just a floating gun.

If it's any consolation I imagine carrying a floating gun everywhere is going to get you arrested or dead. Also you can see your legs.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Can't wait for the internet to go into a meltdown if Mr Studd and Midnight Lady cyberware aren't locked to your gender choice at the start.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Panzeh posted:

If there's no dicks, i'm not gonna buy.

T&A is fine and all, but dicks are quite important.

Lust For Darkness has you covered for both. https://store.steampowered.com/app/523650/Lust_for_Darkness/

Think Lovecraft and you'll be on the right track.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

JBP posted:

People that watched gameplay said it didn't look like it would require next gen to run the game. Who knows though. I'll get it on PC and probably get a new one for this game as it's going to very likely ram directly into my current upgrade timeframe.

I mean, other than pure density of npcs nothing in the trailer looks like it couldn't be run by current machines. Textures look less crisp than those in GoW in general. I kind of have the impression that the game will look unimpressive if they don't upgrade their models by when it gets released.

Also some of the animations looked clunky and gtaesque. I don't know why they would show those.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
If, at the end of the day, you have difficulty playing an excellent FPS because you just can't shake the feeling that it's just a floating gun.

Seek help immediately.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If I were CDPR I wouldn’t show the best possible graphics at this stage, lest they set themselves up for hue and cry about misleading advertising if things need to be adjusted later in development. I also wouldn’t be surprised if they just aren’t finished mocap for the animations.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Glenn Quebec posted:

If, at the end of the day, you have difficulty playing an excellent FPS because you just can't shake the feeling that it's just a floating gun.

Seek help immediately.

I'll never stop being amazed by how far gamer bitching can go

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Can't wait for the internet to go into a meltdown if Mr Studd and Midnight Lady cyberware aren't locked to your gender choice at the start.

If you can’t equip both simultaneously, is it even the future?

I guess I would accept being able to swap them out at will.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Or stick one on a spider drone.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Subjunctive posted:

If I were CDPR I wouldn’t show the best possible graphics at this stage, lest they set themselves up for hue and cry about misleading advertising if things need to be adjusted later in development. I also wouldn’t be surprised if they just aren’t finished mocap for the animations.

The only mocap I've seen in the trailer was the child playing with a gun in his room iirc. Gameplay may as well be stellar, but if the game came out today nobody would drool over its graphics.

That said, I doubt showing mediocre graphics on purpose is a strategy an executive would be ok with. And why they showed colorful Cyberpunk with a Frostbite-like fireball sun is beyond me. Like I understand the game will have day and night cycles but shouldn't you be a tad darker and dirtier in a Cyberpunk trailer?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

If you can’t equip both simultaneously, is it even the future?

I guess I would accept being able to swap them out at will.

An exciting future where you can literally go gently caress yourself :allears:

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Subjunctive posted:

Go back to the first released gameplay footage of Witcher 3 . It was way better to than how it was finally released. The game can't even get to the point of what they showed but that didn't make the game worse or stop it from winning awards.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

EVIL Gibson posted:

Go back to the first released gameplay footage of Witcher 3 . It was way better to than how it was finally released. The game can't even get to the point of what they showed but that didn't make the game worse or stop it from winning awards.

Yeah it wasn't far from what they showed but it never looked quite as good. Tsushima is looking like that now, 4 years later.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Kawabata posted:

The only mocap I've seen in the trailer was the child playing with a gun in his room iirc. Gameplay may as well be stellar, but if the game came out today nobody would drool over its graphics.

That said, I doubt showing mediocre graphics on purpose is a strategy an executive would be ok with. And why they showed colorful Cyberpunk with a Frostbite-like fireball sun is beyond me. Like I understand the game will have day and night cycles but shouldn't you be a tad darker and dirtier in a Cyberpunk trailer?

They're going to blow your dick off with another trailer of the train coming out at night or similar next time. Game isn't out for a year minimum.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

JBP posted:

They're going to blow your dick off with another trailer of the train coming out at night or similar next time. Game isn't out for a year minimum.

Oh I hope they will. And while the trailer was a bit off visually, the content looked great and adequately brutal.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Kawabata posted:

Oh I hope they will. And while the trailer was a bit off visually, the content looked great and adequately brutal.

The gameplay demo sounds like it was way more intense and gritty. A lot of the day stuff was the nicer (rich) parts of night city.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kawabata posted:

The only mocap I've seen in the trailer was the child playing with a gun in his room iirc.

I’m not sure which of the other animations (raising and firing a weapon?) might be mocapped now or later, but yeah.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Basically if you're at ground level in Night City you're a loving poor and nobody cares about you.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

wiegieman posted:

Basically if you're at ground level in Night City you're a loving poor and nobody cares about you.

Well they might care about the resale value of their freshly harvested organs and cyberware.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Giant Bomb gushes about their demo for a while and they're hyped.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I just learned that you can customize your jacket and I wanna do that right now

Also my guess on the graphics was that it was footage running on an XboneX since it was an Xbox conference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

DancingShade posted:

Well they might care about the resale value of their freshly harvested organs and cyberware.

what kind of a loser accepts an organ that was once in a poor person