Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Same, I used 200GB, and with wifi calling, I really don't give a poo poo about minutes. < $55 a month is incredible for unlimited everything basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Weird, I just got an email that a $10 credit was applied to my account. No idea why? Anyone else get that?

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

zer0spunk posted:

Heads up,

Sprint is killing Google Voice integration on june 1st.

So pissed, pretty much the only reason I was still using sprint.

Do you have a source for this?

Would that mean no more making or receiving calls with Google Voice? I use it to make my cell phone a functional work phone, and that would be a disaster.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
No more outbound calls with the phone's dialer showing your google voice number.

It's real, you can just Google it. Sprint and Google both have pages up.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

BlindNinja posted:

Do you have a source for this?

Would that mean no more making or receiving calls with Google Voice? I use it to make my cell phone a functional work phone, and that would be a disaster.

Reading between the lines, I don't think you have a problem. Sprint is ending integration, which is a special thing that only they did. It basically allowed you to use Google Voice with your Sprint number. If you just made a Google Voice account/number, then made it forward calls to your normal Sprint number (which is how you'd use Google Voice on any other carrier), that's still fine. So, if you have a dedicated phone number for your work (i.e. your Google Voice number), and another number for your personal stuff (i.e. your Sprint number), you're fine. If you have 1 number that is handled through Google Voice, but still technically controlled by Sprint, you're affected by this.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

Grumpwagon posted:

Reading between the lines, I don't think you have a problem. Sprint is ending integration, which is a special thing that only they did. It basically allowed you to use Google Voice with your Sprint number. If you just made a Google Voice account/number, then made it forward calls to your normal Sprint number (which is how you'd use Google Voice on any other carrier), that's still fine. So, if you have a dedicated phone number for your work (i.e. your Google Voice number), and another number for your personal stuff (i.e. your Sprint number), you're fine. If you have 1 number that is handled through Google Voice, but still technically controlled by Sprint, you're affected by this.

I was hoping that was the case. Thanks for breaking it down.

Imaginos
Mar 3, 2003

EdEddnEddy posted:

Will be interesting to see if it actually goes through this time.

RIP SERO?... Guess we will see.

Hope not. I've had it for 10 years. Been a helluva bargain.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Speaking of this whole Google Voice thing, is there a way to port your phone number to Voice without closing your Sprint account? The line in question is out of contract, so I could just open a new account, but I'm on a legacy plan (Family EPRP), and I don't know if they'll open a new account of that type, or maybe make me sign a new contract or what.

I vaguely remember someone spelling out a way to do it in either this thread, or the Android thread, but it would have been years ago at this point, so I'm hoping someone remembers (and it's still possible).

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Switched over to join and I'm digging it so far for anyone looking for an alternative.

Voicemail..obviously nothing..I'm not even sure if the sprint vm app is working properly and I'll more then likely have to start dialing into voicemail now.

I'll switch over to Messages once that flips over to rcs/web support. Would have been nice to hear some sort of timeline for this at I/O but..google.

e: Seems like voice was the reason sprint's voicemail app wasn't working. After the disabling, it started working, but gently caress paying 3 bucks a month for the visual transcripts. I'll miss those hilariously bad ones in voice but it's not worth the added sub. On the plus somehow voip works way better than when voice and hangouts were the default.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 6, 2018

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I recently switched to Sprint because of the 1-yr free, BYOD deal.

Is there something I can do to boost my reception at home? Even Wi-Fi Calling seems iffy, but that might be because I get a weak signal in my room.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

You can ask for something called an Airave. Sometimes they'll give you one for free, sometimes they won't. Worth a try, though.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

They may also still give out a free AC router. I have one from when I was with Sprint, and when I'm at home I put my phone into Airplane Mode then turn on WiFi. It forces WiFi calling and texting and works well with that router.

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

They may also still give out a free AC router. I have one from when I was with Sprint, and when I'm at home I put my phone into Airplane Mode then turn on WiFi. It forces WiFi calling and texting and works well with that router.

I'll give this a shot before I try requesting an Airave - thanks for the suggestions.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

It was called WiFi Connect and was an Asus RT-AC66u with Sprint firmware. I can't find it on their site any more aside from some old PDFs so they may no longer offer it.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Sprint has a new $15/month per line "unlimited" plan (press release with slightly more details) if you are a new customer porting in a number from another carrier. There are a few catches, of course:
  • No domestic roaming (though it's not clear if this applies to just data or also voice & text, and whether this exclusion includes "extended" coverage partners)
  • Video streaming is capped at 480p resolution
  • Audio streaming is capped at 500 kbps (no lossless streaming)
  • Data de-prioritization is apparently applied at all times in congested areas (not just after reaching a certain usage threshold)
  • No mobile hotspot
  • Up to 4 lines
  • Requires autopay ($20/month otherwise)
The plan will only be offered for "weeks" so jump on this soon if you're interested. There's no stated time limit on how long you can keep this plan after getting it (unlike the free for a year plan which goes to $60/month after) so I'm tempted to jump on this just to see if it will carry on after the T-Mobile merger.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 14, 2018

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
If you're going to port in anyway, why not take the BYOD 1-yr free offer?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

svenkatesh posted:

If you're going to port in anyway, why not take the BYOD 1-yr free offer?

That plan will only last for 1 year. With this new $15 plan there's no set end date. If the T-Mobile merger is approved and the plan grandfathers through (so you'd effectively get T-Mobile service for $15/month for life) this could end up being one of the best deals on a (US) mobile plan ever, even considering that huge list of strings attached. It's a gamble of course, but one I'm very tempted to take.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 8, 2018

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Mr.Radar posted:

That plan will only last for 1 year. With this new $15 plan there's no set end date. If the T-Mobile merger is approved and the plan grandfathers through (so you'd effectively get T-Mobile service for $15/month for life) this could end up being one of the best deals on a (US) mobile plan ever, even including that huge list of restrictions attached. It's a gamble of course, but one I'm very tempted to take.

Those restrictions are legitimately terrible. You'd also have to be a fool to think that The New T-Mobile would keep you at $15/mo. indefinitely.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Mr.Radar posted:

That plan will only last for 1 year. With this new $15 plan there's no set end date. If the T-Mobile merger is approved and the plan grandfathers through (so you'd effectively get T-Mobile service for $15/month for life) this could end up being one of the best deals on a (US) mobile plan ever, even considering that huge list of strings attached. It's a gamble of course, but one I'm very tempted to take.

Yeah Sprint already has a reputation for kicking people off “lifetime” plans and lord knows T-Mobile is not going to have a priority on supporting old sprint plans.

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The way I see it is that there's no "guarantee" associated with the $15/mo plan.

I'm sure that legally speaking, there isn't one with the BYOD plan either. In any case, they sent me an email that my offer was locked in until 7/31/2019, so I'll try to argue it if the T-Mo merger happens and they try to give me guff.

Sprint sucks compared to T-Mo (what I was on before) but since I'm paying $4/mo without the strings attached, I'm not complaining.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

LOL, I decided to actually sign up for the $15/month unlimited plan and I'm already regretting it.

I put in my online order for the plan, porting in my GSM FreedomPop number, and a new Moto E4 (since my only current Sprint-compatible phone is locked to prepaid since it's Boost-branded) with in-store pickup to get the phone early and save on shipping. When setting up the port I wasn't able to complete it because FreedomPop's terrible online customer account system wouldn't give me my "account number" (it shows up as blank) so I had to open a support ticket with them to get that information.

Apparently that combination of factors (online order, in-store pickup, pending port-in with no other active lines) majorly confused their system. I scheduled the pick-up to occur at noon today (store opens at 11) and at almost exactly 11 I got a call from the store that something was screwed up with my order. I tried to call them back but it took over an hour of trying before they would pick up. Apparently the guy had been busy with a customer the whole time and couldn't even bother to put me on hold. Anyway, he told me there was no account number associated with the order and that I needed to call corporate to figure out how to fix it.

So I call telesales and they tell me no, I do in fact have an account (the rep gives me the account number) and says the people at the store are wrong. Let me give you some exact quotes from the representative I spoke with: "This is why you should always call us and never go to the store." "Don't put up with their nonsense." "Be arrogant with them." "Scream at them. I'm giving you permission." None of this was prompted, she just straight-up told me to yell at the store employees until I got what I wanted.

Anyway, I try to call the store back to tell them they're wrong, and after another hour of trying to reach them I decide I'll just drive over and talk to them in-person.When I get there I'm greeted by the salesperson I talked to earlier and his manager, who both seemed equally clueless. Sure enough, the order slip they have for the phone doesn't show an account number. I give them my account number and they can definitely find my account but can't find the phone order. Fine, I ask them to call corporate and sort this out and they basically refuse, telling me I have to cancel my order and start again. I'm tell them no, I'll talk to telesales again and try to get this sorted out.

The telesales rep I get this time is very confused about my problem (understandable since it's probably rare and she doesn't seem to speak English very well) so after about 5 minute she transfers me to an American (or at least someone with a passable American accent) in "sales support" who at least seems to understand my problem. That rep says she needs to check with another department about the status of my port and then hangs up on me without telling me (I'l be generous and assume it was accidentally). I wind up spending 10 minutes waiting for this rep to get back to me before realizing she hung up.

I call telesales back again and this time I get a rep with a southern American accent. She understands my problem right away and after getting some details from me asks to speak to the salesperson in the store (which is what I wanted to happen in the first place). She then walks the salesperson through the process of looking up the phone order by order number instead of account number and oh, hey, whaddya know, he can finally find it to ring it out. At this point I've been in the store for 90 minutes, plus the 2 hours I spent playing phone tag with the store. :suicide:

So now I finally have my phone, though it's not set up for service yet since I still need to complete the port which I can't do until FreedomPop answers my support request. Hopefully online activation will work like it's supposed to because otherwise I'll need to spend even more of my time dealing with confused Sprint employees. Oh well, I guess this is just the Sprint "experience." v:v:v

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

This matches my experience with Sprint customer service.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Yeah if the number on our account wasn't from the 90s, letting us always speak to someone nice on some special support line when we call, I would hate it so much. That's probably why I haven't switched yet.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Grumpwagon posted:

This matches my experience with Sprint customer service.

:emptyquote:

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Sprint has announced the $15 plan will no longer be offered after Friday, so jump on it soon if you want it. Also, I was slightly wrong in my initial post: domestic roaming is included with the same limits as other postpaid plans. All the other restrictions still apply.

I got my service activated on Monday (I had to call Sprint and get them to re-try the port since FreedomPop screwed something up). My experience with it so far: It's fine? :shrug: I get adequate reception everywhere I go in my normal weekday. Indoors I get dog-slow band 25 service (2-3 Mbps vs 30+ on T-Mobile band 4). Outdoors I get 70+ Mbps on band 41, however I can't get reception on that band indoors unless I'm right next to a window. I guess that's why Sprint is pushing the "Magic Box" so hard (to offload indoor service from the overcrowded band 25 to the underutilized band 41). Either way it's acceptable for farting around on SA and Twitter, so I don't mind too much.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 14, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
95% of the time I'm in wifi coverage and the other 5% of the time I'm at a goodwill using google maps to look for the next thrift store in the hunt (or whatever), so I think I'm going to drop my current plan and swap to that $15/month one. Save some monies while in school.

E: nevermind, I guess. I'm a member on a family plan, and I can't start my own plan even if I buy a new phone. It's not even worth saying gently caress You, so more just "Sprint."

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jun 14, 2018

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

95% of the time I'm in wifi coverage and the other 5% of the time I'm at a goodwill using google maps to look for the next thrift store in the hunt (or whatever), so I think I'm going to drop my current plan and swap to that $15/month one. Save some monies while in school.

E: nevermind, I guess. I'm a member on a family plan, and I can't start my own plan even if I buy a new phone. It's not even worth saying gently caress You, so more just "Sprint."

You should be able to port your number out to Google Voice and then back to a new Sprint account and get on this plan. The only catch is that you need an SSN that hasn't been the primary accountholder on an existing Sprint account for the last 45 days (I've read about people setting up new accounts under their spouse's SSNs, etc. to get on the $15 plan).

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I tried that this morning, they no longer support Google Voice account numbers as the "port-in" number :(. Gave them a call and worked my way up the chain of reps, and the manager was very eager to sell me a new phone and plan.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

I tried that this morning, they no longer support Google Voice account numbers as the "port-in" number :(. Gave them a call and worked my way up the chain of reps, and the manager was very eager to sell me a new phone and plan.

That makes no sense. Why wouldn’t they want to move someone’s service from google voice to sprint?

I mean, google voice still works fine overall if need be, so I think you could “live” with your number being on google voice and whatever random number on sprint. Only thing you could miss out on is iMessage. But yeah, I don’t get that one.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The rep (and then other rep, and then manager) were saying that Google Voice no longer appears in their dropdown of available port-in carriers, and to do it manually requires an account number and billing info from the incoming number. Considering that GVoice doesn't have account numbers (not that I could find, on the new or legacy site, or in Google account settings), it's all moot. They said Fi was eligible, but this isn't Fi, just plain old GVoice.

GVoice isn't really a carrier, anyway. More of a forwarder.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You can definitely port out from Google Voice, though you do need to pay a small fee. See option 2 here: https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1065667?hl=en. The rep might have been confused by Sprint and Google ending their Google Voice partnership that let you use your Sprint number with Google Voice (so you could get your voice mail and texts to your Sprint phone through the GV web app).

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 14, 2018

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Could always get a free number from freedompop and port that in. I mean, if tomorrow is the last day it is offered, probably out of time.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Mr.Radar posted:

You can definitely port out from Google Voice, though you do need to pay a small fee. See option 2 here: https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1065667?hl=en. The rep might have been confused by Sprint and Google ending their Google Voice partnership that let you use your Sprint number with Google Voice (so you could get your voice mail and texts to your Sprint phone through the GV web app).

Thanks!

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Crosspost from the Fi thread.

I tried to port my number to Sprint, to take advantage of the Unlimited Kickstart $15/month plan. Fi has been decent, but not great -- I felt like I could save money and potentially get slightly better service (the network switching doesn't seem to work great for me). So I "cancel" Fi (port out to Google Voice through the Fi app, very easy), and after about a day my service stops and I try to port to Sprint.

I guess I forgot how poo poo garbage Sprint is from when I had them about 8 years ago, but their call center in India just never knew quite what to do. I don't work in an office, and I use my phone for work, so I needed this to be done in the typical ~24 hours that most carriers would be able to do.

After one day, I called Sprint. They didn't really know what to do, and I spent about 45 minutes on hold. But at the end of the call they assured me it would be done soon.

After two days, I called Sprint. They didn't really know what to do, and I spent about 45 minutes on hold. They told me they would "email Google Voice" to release my number. I'm starting to lose my patience when they guy says "please call us back tomorrow."

The morning of day 3 (today), I called Sprint. They didn't really know what to do, and I spent about 1 hour on hold. They told me they would "email Google Voice." I really lost my patience, and asked, "What if they don't respond? I just won't have service? What if I wasn't calling every day?" The guy put me on hold for about 20 minutes at this point to "talk to a supervisor." Maybe he did, but he said they will "email Google Voice." I said, "You need to release my phone number so I can port it to another carrier, immediately." He put me on hold and claimed to have done this. He thanked me for choosing Sprint.

Meanwhile Fi support calls me within 2 minutes and says they'll reactivate my account. They walk me through a few steps, and it's back to normal after 15 minutes.

ed: I'm sure that maybe I didn't do something right, or whatever, but Sprint had no idea what to do, so even if it was my mistake they were wholly unhelpful

So I would have saved like $5-600/year, but gently caress, maybe that's the price for decent service.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

nocal posted:

Crosspost from the Fi thread.

I tried to port my number to Sprint, to take advantage of the Unlimited Kickstart $15/month plan. Fi has been decent, but not great -- I felt like I could save money and potentially get slightly better service (the network switching doesn't seem to work great for me). So I "cancel" Fi (port out to Google Voice through the Fi app, very easy), and after about a day my service stops and I try to port to Sprint.

I guess I forgot how poo poo garbage Sprint is from when I had them about 8 years ago, but their call center in India just never knew quite what to do. I don't work in an office, and I use my phone for work, so I needed this to be done in the typical ~24 hours that most carriers would be able to do.

After one day, I called Sprint. They didn't really know what to do, and I spent about 45 minutes on hold. But at the end of the call they assured me it would be done soon.

After two days, I called Sprint. They didn't really know what to do, and I spent about 45 minutes on hold. They told me they would "email Google Voice" to release my number. I'm starting to lose my patience when they guy says "please call us back tomorrow."

The morning of day 3 (today), I called Sprint. They didn't really know what to do, and I spent about 1 hour on hold. They told me they would "email Google Voice." I really lost my patience, and asked, "What if they don't respond? I just won't have service? What if I wasn't calling every day?" The guy put me on hold for about 20 minutes at this point to "talk to a supervisor." Maybe he did, but he said they will "email Google Voice." I said, "You need to release my phone number so I can port it to another carrier, immediately." He put me on hold and claimed to have done this. He thanked me for choosing Sprint.

Meanwhile Fi support calls me within 2 minutes and says they'll reactivate my account. They walk me through a few steps, and it's back to normal after 15 minutes.

ed: I'm sure that maybe I didn't do something right, or whatever, but Sprint had no idea what to do, so even if it was my mistake they were wholly unhelpful

So I would have saved like $5-600/year, but gently caress, maybe that's the price for decent service.

Mr.Radar posted:

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

There is a new service that just started so no idea how good it is but check out unreal mobile (part of FreedomPop)

https://alpha.unrealmobile.com

Unlimited talk text and 1 gig lte for $10 a month. Drops down to 2g after data is used. Comes with vpn and ad blocker and whatnot.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
Seems to run on the Sprint network (based on the familiarity of the coverage map). I also can't figure out how to BYOD; it wants me to grab an S6, iPhone 7, or the $49 burner.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Me either :(. I missed out on the $15 Sprint but got an unlocked/Sprint V30+ coming in the mail and my current plan is only $35/month so no biggie right now.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Unreal only allows BYOD with Sprint locked phones. So that sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Isn't the free year still available?