Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Even when it's being goofy dmc still leans grimdark for imagery. The contrast between tone and imagery is what makes it good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, Nero was at worst an rear end in a top hat teenager. The Edgy Dante is actually Vergil :v:

Nail Rat posted:

Nero was still wisecracking throughout and clearly enjoying himself. I'd say wait for the final product, this could be edited a certain way because "grimdark" is in right now (although if so, it's odd because the goofiness is what sets DMC apart).

Should've had a slam dunk IMO.

Oh, I agree, I'm just saying that was a weird way of giving us the first look at the game. Especially after DmC that went full edge in an attempt to be "mature"

chumbler posted:

Even when it's being goofy dmc still leans grimdark for imagery. The contrast between tone and imagery is what makes it good.

The grimdark imagery was more subdued on previous games (DMC aside since that was a reworked RE) with most of the grim poo poo happening offscreen. Even when demons got loose on Fortuna and start slaughtering people is offset by how colorful and bright the city as a whole is, and the quick response from the Order to keep the whole thing contained.

That said, the memes that came from the trailer are amazing.

And a more thorough analysis on the trailer regarding Vergil and the mysterious V

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

esperterra posted:

tbh as an overall product I could get behind 'DMC4 wasn't great' in the sense it was an unfinished mess of a product that fell apart at the end. I've also never been a fan of Nero (though he plays fun as hell and functions as an 'easier' way to play the game to ramp up to when you finally get to play as Dante w/ the style switching) so there's that.

But the mechanics of that game were near loving perfect holy gently caress did they ever take the concepts from DMC3 and turn them into something goddamn beautiful.

e: ^^ also the dante cutscenes are top tier

Ya DMC4 in the gameplay department is the best imo. The style switching in combat takes it to another level from DMC3.

Only problem like DMC4 is the dante part of the campaign being the same as Nero.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i hope dmc3hd on steam gets a style switcher mod at some point. i tried playing through the old port with the one it had but the optimization issues were still really bad

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Gameplay-wise looks tight but man, I'm not feeling the photorealistic graphics.

:same:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Get your tinfoil hats on people, apparently the music video has some clues about V.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Im1bxDu

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I guess im playing DMC4 then. I loved 1 and 3 as a kid but didn't ever play much of 4 since I was too devastated that Dante wasn't the main character at the start.

DmC was pretty good I thought, nowhere near as good gameplay-wise and there was some very lovely stuff in it, but good setpieces and it gets big props from me for being one of the only games I can think of to sexualise its male main character.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

This trailer was just as scarstic as any other dmc game. People are just jarred by the graphics not comprehending we haven't seen a new game in an entire console generation. 10 years is a long time and graphics have come a long way. DMC4 was no slouch when it came out.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I don’t get the complaints about photorealism because it’s pretty clear that’s what DMC4 was aiming for so it’s a natural evolution

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Is Dante actually old or is just he's gotten got that 30 point where any white hair and he looks ancient?

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

He's gettin wrinkles and can't grow a beard

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Crabtree posted:

Is Dante actually old or is just he's gotten got that 30 point where any white hair and he looks ancient?

Presumably being in hell for a while is some pretty taxing stuff

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Captain Baal posted:

being in dmc2 is even more taxing and it's probably safe to assume this is post dmc2 from that

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Captain Baal posted:

Yeah but he can supposedly last maybe even millions of years and it's platinum blond hair. Guess a face ain't really important so long as he still looks good overall.

That or he needs some beer and pizza and is fine and dandy again.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
THIS PARTY'S GETTING CRAZY *knocks over zimmerframe*

Let's rock! *punches jukebox, frank sinatra starts playing*

Hyped for a classic dose of Good DMC

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Aw gently caress yeah this looks like it's gonna rock. Can't wait to slay some demons. Gotta finally finish my LDK playthrough of DMC4, haven't even got to Dante during that.

The forest can go gently caress itself even if the boss is rock solid, and the weapon for beating her is the most fun in the series for me so far.
Speaking of, what's your favourite Devil Arm and what do you hope to return in DMCV? I've heard rumors that Dante's bike might actually be Pandora, since it seems to feature turrets and you know Dante smashing demons' faces with a loving motorbike seems just crazy enough for the series.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Dunking was very chill in dmc4. I hope we get some new stuff

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Kikas posted:

Speaking of, what's your favourite Devil Arm and what do you hope to return in DMCV? I've heard rumors that Dante's bike might actually be Pandora, since it seems to feature turrets and you know Dante smashing demons' faces with a loving motorbike seems just crazy enough for the series.

I've always been a sucker for all the gauntlets+greaves weapons but I have to assume a new one of those will show up for somebody, so apart from that Agni & Rudra.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

RBX posted:

This trailer was just as scarstic as any other dmc game. People are just jarred by the graphics not comprehending we haven't seen a new game in an entire console generation. 10 years is a long time and graphics have come a long way. DMC4 was no slouch when it came out.

Isn't DMCV the first game to ever have high def graphics? weren't the first 4 all PS2 games?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

DMC 4 was a 360/PS3 era game.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'm hoping the motorcycle is actually Rebellion because I can totally believe he'd find a way to transform it into a motorcycle at will

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

DLC Inc posted:

Isn't DMCV the first game to ever have high def graphics? weren't the first 4 all PS2 games?

DMC4 was PS360.

It was also part of the first wave on non-lovely PC ports from Capcom - not only was it a good port but the Legendary Dark Knight mode was originally a PC-only thing.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
A new interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPHgKMsSgM4

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

Only two new facts from that:
1) The smoking guy at the very start is Morrison. They say he's from the anime, but I haven't watched it. If anyone has, was he important?
2) Devil breakers will break on a regular basis during missions, but there's a quick swap or reload action. This is demonstrated after Nero says "Cheer up, crewcut" in the trailer.

Also, they're trying to get as many people back who worked on DMC3 and 4, so the game should have pedigree.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I would love this game forever if they brought back the Nevan. That weapon was easily the best in 3, and I was really sad it wasn't in 4.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Morrison was Dante's agent, and such he was tasked with getting him jobs and payments. He looked way different on the anime though.

Itsuno also confirms that the game takes DMC4's novelization into account.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Morrison was a pal of Dante's from the anime who would occasionally get him some work and also left him with a bratty 10-year old girl to take care of who would regularly eat his food and redecorate his office. He wasn't an amazingly important character, but he'd show up once an episode to talk to Dante and occasionally be relevant to what was going on.

Here is what he looked like there for reference

EDIT: oh someone already talked about it i guess

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I keep listening to devil trigger because I love this loving song. People saying it doesn't fit DMC are bonkers.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Monaghan posted:

I keep listening to devil trigger because I love this loving song. People saying it doesn't fit DMC are bonkers.

yeah idgi. It 100% fits DMC, and more importantly, 100% fits Nero specifically

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Monaghan posted:

It doesn't fit because I have yet to play the game. Once I have Devil May Cry in my hands, a lot of music suddenly fits if my Devil Trigger gets pulled.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Playing DMC4 LDK mode with Devil Trigger playing is a hell of a thing

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Can't loving wait.

Also that song is goddamn great.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Monaghan posted:

I didn't like it at first but it's been growing on me.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I'm not sure I'm into the new art direction yet but then again DMC3's art direction was also dark as poo poo so this isn't unusual for the franchise, anyway.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
BANG BANG BANG PULL MY DEVIL TRIGGER

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
This guy is Dante's face model for DMC5

https://www.instagram.com/cowieadam/?hl=en

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

hottie

Honestly my issue isn't so much the art direction as Uncle Arthas. Something about the shot they chose of deranged Dante is what keeps throwing me off lmao

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

alcharagia posted:

BANG BANG BANG PULL MY DEVIL TRIGGER

I always loved the DMC in game music. Gets you pumped to kick some demon rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Man, the older style would've also looked really good on a more powerful graphic engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgBFNSeM7iE

Anyways, I love all the OC the fanbase has made since the reveal.