Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

former glory posted:

I'm planning to give my wife my Masterkeys L with brown switches because she's getting a new PC and she really likes the RGB lighting, whereas I'm pretty indifferent to that. So that leaves me paralyzed trying to figure out what to get next. I'm 100% sure I love the brown feel, but would like a more distinct tactile bump, so I'm going with clears like you guys often recommend.

I'm looking at the WASD line as a possible replacement. Seems like the CODE would be nice with PBT caps, white backlight. But their V2 seems really well built. I'm wondering if the V2 is better. Another Masterkeys is also on the table as that board is really great, and in clears it would be excellent. Just wondering if there are other more obviously better boards out there in that sort of $150-200 price range.

One thing to know about Cherry MX Clear is that you will not get RGB backlighting with them, ever (barring a crazy individual customizing such a switch by scavenging Cherry MX RGB housings).

That said, the Ducky One sounds like a good candidate for you. They come with no backlight, blue blacklight, white backlight variants. You can save a few bucks by going no backlight. The one I linked has side printed keycaps, but MechanicalKeyboards.com has several top-print variants in different colorways, which cost a bit more. In any case, they're all cheaper than the CODE, and I believe the PBT keycaps are better quality from what I've heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

One thing to know about Cherry MX Clear is that you will not get RGB backlighting with them, ever (barring a crazy individual customizing such a switch by scavenging Cherry MX RGB housings).

That said, the Ducky One sounds like a good candidate for you. They come with no backlight, blue blacklight, white backlight variants. You can save a few bucks by going no backlight. The one I linked has side printed keycaps, but MechanicalKeyboards.com has several top-print variants in different colorways, which cost a bit more. In any case, they're all cheaper than the CODE, and I believe the PBT keycaps are better quality from what I've heard.

Thanks, I'm leaning towards getting PBT caps this time around, so the Ducky sounds nice. I think my ideal board right now would be a full size PBT with clears backlight a plus.

Gun Metal Cray
Apr 27, 2005

Pillbug

Pumprag posted:

What's a good rubber dome keyboard? The recommendations in the op don't seem to be produced anymore?

I'm currently driving a refurbed KeyTronic ErgoForce. Cheap, snappy, quiet. A lovely typing experience for a rubber dome.

Extremely not recommended for any kind of gaming, though.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

former glory posted:

Thanks, I'm leaning towards getting PBT caps this time around, so the Ducky sounds nice. I think my ideal board right now would be a full size PBT with clears backlight a plus.

I have a code with clears and threw some Tai-Hao blue/white PBT caps on it and I love it.

http://www.tai-hao.com/catalog/ins.php?index_id=82

Mine are an older model so the legends aren't exactly the same, but that's the color.

mewse
May 2, 2006

KBDfans has box royals on their aliexpress store now

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

ugh, the left CTRL key on my m750 tkl went out. gonna have to RMA it.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I have a code with clears and threw some Tai-Hao blue/white PBT caps on it and I love it.

http://www.tai-hao.com/catalog/ins.php?index_id=82

Mine are an older model so the legends aren't exactly the same, but that's the color.

I think this is what I'll do- thanks. Where did you order the caps? That site seems like it's only for bulk orders.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

mewse posted:

KBDfans has box royals on their aliexpress store now

I feel like I missed the whole boxed royals thing. What’s special about them?

mewse
May 2, 2006

LochNessMonster posted:

I feel like I missed the whole boxed royals thing. What’s special about them?

They're kailh box switches with a larger tactile bump. I think they have the same stem as the previous box tactile switch, but stronger leafs in the enclosed microswitch portion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ25-gUTzQk

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

former glory posted:

I think this is what I'll do- thanks. Where did you order the caps? That site seems like it's only for bulk orders.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/tai...0ff07c7b944f-29

I actually got mine from massdrop, but these are the same. Slightly different legends; same color/feel. AliExpress takes a bit to ship to the states, but my massdrop took about 30+ days as well.

Code with clears and these caps is the best thing I've ever purchased.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

mewse posted:

They're kailh box switches with a larger tactile bump. I think they have the same stem as the previous box tactile switch, but stronger leafs in the enclosed microswitch portion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ25-gUTzQk

Interesting, how do they compare in actuation force?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I'm a dumb idiot with no taste and bought a ROG Claymore because it was pretty cheap locally over paying online. It was about $200 including taxes in comparison to the $250 I've seen everywhere online.

The detachable NUMpad is pretty neat and the keys are actually more silent than my previous knockoff keyboard

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Just got my first sculpted SA set and they look great but they kind of suck to type on. The extreme angle of the row 1 keys makes me press them off axis and they feel like they snag a bit, especially backspace. Row 1 also wobbles a lot from the height. I spent a good bit of cash on them so I'll probably try to convince myself that I like them but man am I disappointed right now.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

internet celebrity posted:

Just got my first sculpted SA set and they look great but they kind of suck to type on. The extreme angle of the row 1 keys makes me press them off axis and they feel like they snag a bit, especially backspace. Row 1 also wobbles a lot from the height. I spent a good bit of cash on them so I'll probably try to convince myself that I like them but man am I disappointed right now.

You might be able to resell them and make most of your money back, but yeah that sucks. You can try /r/mechmarket on Reddit and see if anyone bites

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Dizz posted:

I'm a dumb idiot with no taste and bought a ROG Claymore because it was pretty cheap locally over paying online. It was about $200 including taxes in comparison to the $250 I've seen everywhere online.

The detachable NUMpad is pretty neat and the keys are actually more silent than my previous knockoff keyboard

Detachable numpad sounds pretty interesting. Does it still function after detaching, e.g. like a separate macropad?

which set :mrgw:

but yeah, you can probably offload them pretty easily in r/mechmarket. I definitely understand the row 1 angle issue. I find myself often typing on the top corner of the keycap instead of on the flat face of it. I managed to get used to sculpted SA by doing typing lessons, like on Typing Club with the new keys.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Detachable numpad sounds pretty interesting. Does it still function after detaching, e.g. like a separate macropad?

Nah it uses prongs to get power from the keyboard.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

It's the black/white maxkey set so nothing crazy. If anyone's interested shoot me a pm.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

It's the black/white maxkey set so nothing crazy. If anyone's interested shoot me a pm.

It may change your opinion, but does your keyboard have any tilt? I like SA with some tilt, not so much on flat keyboards.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Yeah but just a little, it's a tada68 with an aluminum case. Maybe I'll try propping it up on something when I get home.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

I'm a weirdo mutant or something, but I like my SA Godspeed on my extremely flat K-Type :T

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
I really like SA on heavy clicky switches, don't care for it on tactile and linear. For tactile, to me Cherry profile is the best, then DSA after.

Gumbercules
Jan 12, 2004

These aren't my lamps. These have feet.
Man, I got into this hobby in a big way in the last few months. I got a GMMK Tenkeyless, which touched off my obsession; then I got a HHKB for my work PC, seemed like the way to try out both topre and 60% at the same time. Now I'm obsessed with the idea of Box Navys, and looking for the best vessel to put them in.

Guess I just wanted to say that this is an unexpectedly satisfying waste of time and money.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
You should get a hot swap board

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
He's already got one actually. My suggestion is to go full custom with an aluminium case. The weight alone will make the HHKB feel like a cheap toy.

Cosmic Web
Jan 11, 2005

"Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you!"
Fun Shoe
Got my first SA set.

SA Night King (WINTER IS HER E) with Kailh Pro Purple switches and a GMMK keyboard (Full size, since I'm an idiot who forgot click the ''TKL''-option).

SA feels nice, even though it really calls for wrist rest.
I also own some DSA caps that came with a couple of switch testers, but I can't stand the small surface area on flat keys. I guess XDA is an improvement?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Cosmic Web posted:

Got my first SA set.

SA Night King (WINTER IS HER E) with Kailh Pro Purple switches and a GMMK keyboard (Full size, since I'm an idiot who forgot click the ''TKL''-option).

SA feels nice, even though it really calls for wrist rest.
I also own some DSA caps that came with a couple of switch testers, but I can't stand the small surface area on flat keys. I guess XDA is an improvement?

Looks like an awesome set, almost regret I didn’t get one myself.

I’ve got no experience with DSA profile, but am not a fan of XDA.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I was taken aback at first by how tall SA are, but I quickly learned to really like them, and they really have a nice old-school feel. Especially with my Greens.

Cosmic Web
Jan 11, 2005

"Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you!"
Fun Shoe

LochNessMonster posted:

Looks like an awesome set, almost regret I didn’t get one myself.

It's still available for $135 at zfrontier.

They shipped it from China via DHL Express (no shipping costs) and it arrived in Germany in just two days.

Customs didn't even bothered to check the package since it's declared value was :10bux: :monocle:

Here's my shameless referral link in case anyone feels like ordering a set from that store and doing me a favor for no reason whatsoever.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I got a Durgod tenkeyless, a bag of box navy switches, and a soldering iron. I'm gonna do a thing.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Let us know how it goes! I haven't had to do much desoldering except to correct some soldering mistakes; I can't imagine how un-fun an entire 80% board would be.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
every time i click on a thread in this subforum hoping to get some basic information like 'what keyboard should i buy' i discover a whole new subculture

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7SZ1WN/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

is this going to be super loud?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D3BDN60/ref=psdc_12879431_t1_B01N7SZ1WN?th=1
would this be better for the price? the brown switches are more popular according to the OP but the linked one was also highly recommended.

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 14, 2018

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. They'll both be similar in terms of noise, probably at least a bit louder than a rubber membrane. The Fission is built by Ducky, known for their good build quality. The Masterkeys Pro has per-key RGB backlighting and macro support, if either of these features are deal-makers for you. Both have "standard" layouts, so you won't have trouble with replacement keycap sets to further pretty-up your board.

I personally like tactile switches more than linears, and I like having the options that RGB backlighting offers, so if it were my choice I'd probably go for the Masterkeys.

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
Mechanical keyboard fever bit me so I've been on the hunt for an affordable one using the OP and the discussions in the thread as guides. Unfortunately, being in Canada, a lot of the recommendations aren't available locally. Ordering them from mechanicalkeyboards.com or massdrop isn't an ideal workaround since the shipping charges and taxes are pretty hefty.

Many hours were spent scouring amazon.ca for something that's cheap, well-reviewed, has a standard layout for easy modability, and doesn't have flaws I can't live with (e.g., rubber coating on the case). I was about to give up until I decided to check out this ugly retro abomination: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07228ZD46/ . Its godawful design has made me skip it every time it came up in my search results but since I've gone through pretty much all the keyboards available on amazon.ca, I gave it chance. Turns out it's actually a rebranded Magicforce 68 (or at least that's what one reviewer suggested) with knockoff browns and white LEDs. It's 56 CAD (about 43 USD), no taxes are charged, shipping's free, and it's fulfilled by Amazon.

I've ordered it and should have it next week. Will report back if it's any good. If it is, I might get some nice PBT keycaps like this set: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/YMDK-Customized-61-64-68-ANSI-Keyset-OEM-Profile-Thick-PBT-Keycap-set-For-Cherry-MX/32839583006.html

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Gay Horney posted:

every time i click on a thread in this subforum hoping to get some basic information like 'what keyboard should i buy' i discover a whole new subculture

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7SZ1WN/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

is this going to be super loud?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D3BDN60/ref=psdc_12879431_t1_B01N7SZ1WN?th=1
would this be better for the price? the brown switches are more popular according to the OP but the linked one was also highly recommended.

I bought that Cooler Masterkeys one a few weeks ago and like it a lot. I can type while on a conference call without being disruptive if I slow my typing speed a bit. It feels more linear than my previous keyboard even though they both have MX Cherry Browns, but that could be mere perception.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I'm considering being really stupid and buying into my first Kickstarter, in particular for the Wooting Two. It seems to tick all my boxes, looks plain, RGB, cool gimmick analogue poo poo I will maybe use, very well spaced FN media keys, and extra macro keys. Hotswappable keys is neat too. Their last kickstarter was a great success and they have gone onto being a regular company, but I am still obviously reserved. Does anyone know if they're secretly poo poo or something?

Upgrading from an og 2012 Razer Blackwidow lmao. Contrary to Razer expectations (the thing is built by a solid OEM and before they went pseudo-inhouse), it's been absolutely loving invincible. Cannot believe the amount of times I or my friends have spilt drinks all over it and I just chuck it in a soapy bucket and sit it out to dry, and I've rebuilt it PCB up on one occasion.

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe
I've heard that the Wooting One is quite rattly to type on, and there's a lot of ping from the switches' springs. No personal experience, though, and they might have fixed it for the Wooting Two (or it might not even bother you).

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

I am irrationally enraged by the gif of the guy hitting spacebar with his index finger, so I will not be joining the Wooting two Kickstarter.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Naar posted:

I've heard that the Wooting One is quite rattly to type on, and there's a lot of ping from the switches' springs. No personal experience, though, and they might have fixed it for the Wooting Two (or it might not even bother you).

Could you elaborate on the ping? I read that it can be fixed partially by oiling the springs, which I'd not be too stressed to do. I hope the frame isn't rattly though, I do like how sturdy my Blackwidow is.

I am irrationally enraged by the gif of the guy hitting spacebar with his index finger, so I will not be joining the Wooting two Kickstarter.

I am exclusively a right hand index finger spacebar typist, and I can do 100+ wpm if I focus. I feel more obliged to join the kickstarter now, knowing that they are people of culture.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

BurritoJustice posted:

I'm considering being really stupid and buying into my first Kickstarter, in particular for the Wooting Two. It seems to tick all my boxes, looks plain, RGB, cool gimmick analogue poo poo I will maybe use, very well spaced FN media keys, and extra macro keys. Hotswappable keys is neat too. Their last kickstarter was a great success and they have gone onto being a regular company, but I am still obviously reserved. Does anyone know if they're secretly poo poo or something?

Upgrading from an og 2012 Razer Blackwidow lmao. Contrary to Razer expectations (the thing is built by a solid OEM and before they went pseudo-inhouse), it's been absolutely loving invincible. Cannot believe the amount of times I or my friends have spilt drinks all over it and I just chuck it in a soapy bucket and sit it out to dry, and I've rebuilt it PCB up on one occasion.

I haven't tried one but it seems like a neat idea. The Chyrosran video on the Wooting One made me want to try one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXQAw4kYNIE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

BurritoJustice posted:

I am exclusively a right hand index finger spacebar typist, and I can do 100+ wpm if I focus. I feel more obliged to join the kickstarter now, knowing that they are people of culture.

God gave us thumbs for a reason, little boy