Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

The race for the overall is won, if Toyota are reliable. Toyota have only run 2 trouble free cars at Le Mans, out of the 13 they've brought. There's still a race to be had here.

I'm not saying there's no way to gently caress it up but a lot of the unreliability (particularly in last year's race) came from the manufacturer teams battling each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Toyota will have turned a lot of things down compared to last year because they know there's no competition if they keep the car on the road.
I still fully expect a full blown Toyota Gazoo situation here tho.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Both Toyota's exploding would be hilarious but specifically Alonso's. Bonus points if he's in the car when it goes.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I need a shot of Sad Alonso in the ferris wheel

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Norman Nato had a pants filling spin through the Porsche curves

and now the 94 Porsche has crashed at Indianapolis and it might be raining

e: and Tracy Krohne has lost a wheel :wtc:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CactusWeasle posted:

Norman Nato had a pants filling spin through the Porsche curves

and now the 94 Porsche has crashed at Indianapolis and it might be raining

e: and Tracy Krohne has lost a wheel :wtc:

Everything going just fine for tracy krohn then

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Well this has been a shitshow so far.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
#47 Cetilar Villorba Corse car is in pieces at the first chicane, ambulance heading to the scene but the cctv picked up the driver getting out of the car himself.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Ack! The Ford GT is hosed.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

WindyMan posted:

As we know (or don't, probably) Le Mans will be live on the Velocity network in the U.S. this year. Turns out that later this year, the network will get rebranded to the Motor Trend Network. When I found this out I hopped over to the Motor Trend On Demand website and discovered something quite nice:

Live 24/7 24/1 in-car streaming, baby! Might be a good time to sign up for the free trial.

Also, it seems as if Velocity/Motor Trend Network is aiming to be Speedvision 2.0. Before Motor Trend tookover the streaming website, Torque.tv at the time, they specifically stated this was their aim.

So if you're wondering why Velocity has the rights to Le Mans, this is why.

Thanks for this. At a glance it looks like the subscription is really easy to cancel

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Thanks for this. At a glance it looks like the subscription is really easy to cancel

Honestly, Motor Trend On Demand is not a bad service. It's not super expensive and they have enough racing that I think it's worth the $5 they want. And yes, it's easy to cancel.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
lol, Nakajima 2 seconds a lap faster than the sister car. Amazing how much Toyota is gimping the other car in order to orchestrate an Alonso win.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Wirth1000 posted:

lol, Nakajima 2 seconds a lap faster than the sister car. Amazing how much Toyota is gimping the other car in order to orchestrate an Alonso win.

Coulthard had a good point which was more or less "There's no legitimate reason in an era with no other manufacturers to have Alonso in that car unless you want pictures of Alonso winning with your car on all your marketing materials from the event"

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

the whole reason the team and cars exist in the first place is marketing so

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

So the best case scenario is that both Toyotas blow up and Button gets the win.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

SPACE HOMOS posted:

So the best case scenario is that both Toyotas blow up and ByKolles gets the win.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

SPACE HOMOS posted:

So the best case scenario is that both Toyotas blow up and ByKolles gets the win. blows up too but they get a consolation prize trophy for being so drat plucky :3:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

I wouldn't describe a money laundering operation by the dirtiest man in motorsport to be plucky.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Cygni posted:

the whole reason the team and cars exist in the first place is marketing so

Not for Toyota.
For some bizarroworld reason they draw the LMP1's funding from car R&D as well as marketing.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Schlesische posted:

Not for Toyota.
For some bizarroworld reason they draw the LMP1's funding from car R&D as well as marketing.

Toyota is really big on hybrid tech in road cars.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

SPACE HOMOS posted:

So the best case scenario is that both Toyotas blow up and Button gets the win.

All the LMP1s blow up and Montoya wins and completes the triple crown.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

gret posted:

All the LMP1s blow up and Montoya wins and completes the triple crown.

AKA quite easily the greatest thing that could ever happen in motor racing

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Wirth1000 posted:

I wouldn't describe a money laundering operation by the dirtiest man in motorsport to be plucky.

Thought that Scott Tucker is rotting in jail :confused:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I'm pretty sure Colin Kolles is dirtier than anyone truly realizes.

Like "take us to Jimmy Hoffa's grave" dirty

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
How the gently caress do I watch this in North America without cable? I paid for the WEC stream last year and synced it up with Radio Le Mans but now they won't even let me do that?

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Not sure if the free trial package for PS Vue had velocity, but the upper packages do.

Or just go to r/motorsportsstreams and pick a YouTube rebreoadcast

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Ive never used it but this philo streaming doesnt look too bad and it has velocity included in the base packages. Theres a 7 day free trial.

https://try.philo.com/?utm_source=cj&utm_campaign=Salco&utm_term=13269137

E: sort of review but down at the bottom they talk about the trial. Basically you give them your phone number and itll be two days before they even contact you for payment info ao it looks like for this you wont even need to give them credit card info.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/philo-tv-channels-pricing-features/

DogonCrook fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 15, 2018

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Shumagorath posted:

How the gently caress do I watch this in North America without cable? I paid for the WEC stream last year and synced it up with Radio Le Mans but now they won't even let me do that?

WEC stream and a VPN is going to be my route.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I've got Velocity in my basic cable package, so I'm not super worried. If it turns into some bullshit where they cut away every 5 mins for a commercial break I'll look for other sources, but right now I'm more impressed that they blocked out 25 hours for the race.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Yeah worst case I'll keep velocity up on my laptop or something so they get the ratings and watch over VPN to the WEC stream if it manages to stay up, or a pirate stream.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

WEC stream, possibly with Radio Le Mans audio if I’m at home, or just the WEC app if I’m out during the race. Thankfully I have the data to burn on watching a race while on the subway.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

ACO's 2020 regs:

https://racer.com/2018/06/15/2020-lmp1-proposed-regulations-presented-at-le-mans/

So its DPi but more expensive for no performance gain and probably not compatible with IMSA's regs cause the targeted budgets are 3x the size.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Cygni posted:

ACO's 2020 regs:

https://racer.com/2018/06/15/2020-lmp1-proposed-regulations-presented-at-le-mans/

So its DPi but more expensive for no performance gain and probably not compatible with IMSA's regs cause the targeted budgets are 3x the size.

It's not DPi.
It's GT1 reborn into a garbage new era where McLaren and Aston Martin are the best the ACO can hope for.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

It is indeed very similar to DPi, the biggest difference being that they're not based on standard prototype models.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The Kimoa Kid posted:

It is indeed very similar to DPi, the biggest difference being that they're not based on standard prototype models.

Yeah that was my take away too. I don't think you can really get to the budgets IMSA wants without cost sharing the chassis, so I dunno how (or if) they are gonna solve this.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
maybe IMSA teams should stop being poor

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Doesnt sound too good that IMSA will re-adopt the top class:

Scott Atherton posted:

“The [ACO/FIA] know exactly where we stand in what we believe is a sustainable budget,” he said. “And it really comes down to that. We could talk for hours about hybrid technology, the cockpit greenhouse dimensions, and all the technical details, but what it really boils down to is this: will the budget to develop these cars, and then to race these cars, fall within the range of sustainability we know applies to North America?

“The commitment to see this through to the end is what we’re confirming today. If, in the end, it is unfortunately demonstrated that we can’t get there, rest assured we won’t compromise, we won’t jeopardize, we won’t abandon what we have going in North America simply to have the satisfaction of saying we’re part of a global formula.

“That’s a mistake we will not make. And we’re not alone in our perspective. We’ve been in multiple manufacturer meetings this week, and similar concerns were expressed with the proposed budgets. And the fact that it’s a huge improvement to where LMP1 is today on costs, some have said it’s not enough [of a reduction] for them to participate. And our name is also on that list.”
https://racer.com/2018/06/15/insight-where-does-the-aco-fias-new-prototype-concept-leave-dpi/

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Wirth1000 posted:

I remember someone talking about how scummy ByKolles was last year but please elaborate?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/a28205/drug-smuggling-ponzi-schemes-and-fraud-racings-legacy-of-scandal/

I think this is the dude, Scott Tucker.

*edit*
Nope. Different guy, but still an awful person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

The WEC is more expensive on a support/logistics side than IMSA since they travel much further, but even throwing that out with the exception of going to Le Mans once per year, it'll still probably be too much for half the teams. Cadillac is probably willing to spend big, and if they build something suitable to race in the WEC, then why not race there instead? Their primary market is Asia anyway so winning big in places like Shanghai and Bahrain suits them well. Acura is in a weird place where they exist pretty much everywhere but Europe, but they'd probably be willing to spend money to go into the WEC as well if they're going to have to spend that much more for North America alone. Mazda almost certainly can't afford to spend even more money on their prototype program unless Joest starts winning races and raising their profile enough to get Hiroshima directly involved, and Nissan Motorsports is nearly an oxymoron at this point and they'd probably make ESM pick up the tab for a more expensive program.

IMSA really has nothing to gain right by now adopting this proposed LMP1 regulation. They'd more likely lose teams than gain them.