Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Hal Incandenza posted:

Like what pinged you

This first one was the biggest:

Hal Incandenza posted:

Maybe this is one of those games where the scum don’t know they are the scum

Based on our understanding of the setup now, this is basically true. We have a "scum" team thats cult, and if they did get recruited, they didn't know it when you made the post. People speculate stuff all the time that comes true, but its certainly a ping or possible slip from a recruiter. When you're on the nose about something, it can look bad in retrospect.

Hal Incandenza posted:

Ecco is DEFINITELY not above making a cult cop in a game with no cult

Throwing cold water on the possibility of a cult.

Hal Incandenza posted:

Well I will just flip regular old town so this is all news to me

Also aggressively jokey is like my whole mafia MO

Just seems fake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Moatillata posted:

This is eccoSpain all vt have Spanish names bminus is lying about just being a villager and made up his name

Ahhhhh

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby

Moatillata posted:

My theory is bulletproof it's how chores (then dongsbot) caught the godfather in that one game

that was my first ever game, and it was a slip because tnl? said his name was the same as the named scum in the op. this is not the same situation i think.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
just lol

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CCKeane posted:

Look, I really applaud your play here, it's gutsy and I like it, but I think you're scum and trying to fast talk this by using elements of your role to apply verisimilitude that your claims that you win with town. I think something's up, and when a player takes responsibility for 2/3 deaths during the night, I think it's beyond reasonable to assume they're not working in town's interests.

One: I killed a cultist last night. Do you believe that was not in town's best interest? (Yes, I realize it doesn't overrule the "I could be a SK" thing, but.)

Two: What motive do I have to outright claim both of my kills today, let alone claim to be self-aligned instead of hitching my wagon to one of the existing alignments or making up yet another one? I wanted to give town useful information they would otherwise not have access to, and it has sparked a lot of excellent discussion today.

CCKeane posted:

Well here's where I am, I think you went with a big gutsy move, because there isn't anything set up that would make me believe you.

Also, did you ever say if you have to be alive to win or not?

I did not, and I'd like to know what good that knowledge is to anyone other than me. I appreciate that you think I'm making some kind of insanely gutsy play, but this is entirely aboveboard. I win when St. Leroux is dead, and town also want him dead. So really I have no reason to continue this argument, since you don't seem likely to agree and I don't think you're St. Leroux!

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor

Atomic Soda posted:

i'm a bit suss about him saying not to worry about that hal post but can you expand, i've had a town read on bminus most of the game

lol

how in the world did that hal post ping you so hard lol

and yes i'm not going to budge on my townread of hal.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Slamburger posted:

This first one was the biggest:

Based on our understanding of the setup now, this is basically true. We have a "scum" team thats cult, and if they did get recruited, they didn't know it when you made the post. People speculate stuff all the time that comes true, but its certainly a ping or possible slip from a recruiter. When you're on the nose about something, it can look bad in retrospect.

Throwing cold water on the possibility of a cult.

Just seems fake.

Hmmm well I call it sharing wisdom with the town but whatever. I certainly wasn’t the only one who pointed out the Ecco cult fakeout it was confused about non-town alignments

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
still lollin at that moat vote.

IS needs to die today. I don't know how this isn't obvious.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

b-minus1 posted:

At this point, I don't think the cult has a night kill ability. However, I do think that they were blocked two of the three nights. and oh man, if that actually is true it would be hilarious.

b-minus1 posted:

No. My guess is cult unsuccessfully recruited the first two nights.

Hm hey bminus where did this even come from? What reason do you have to believe that scum doesn't have a NK AND didn't recruit the first two nights? Did I miss something?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Podima posted:

One: I killed a cultist last night. Do you believe that was not in town's best interest? (Yes, I realize it doesn't overrule the "I could be a SK" thing, but.)

Two: What motive do I have to outright claim both of my kills today, let alone claim to be self-aligned instead of hitching my wagon to one of the existing alignments or making up yet another one? I wanted to give town useful information they would otherwise not have access to, and it has sparked a lot of excellent discussion today.

I did not, and I'd like to know what good that knowledge is to anyone other than me. I appreciate that you think I'm making some kind of insanely gutsy play, but this is entirely aboveboard. I win when St. Leroux is dead, and town also want him dead. So really I have no reason to continue this argument, since you don't seem likely to agree and I don't think you're St. Leroux!

Here is the Sample PM Ecco posted.

Varinn - Valerie - Villager (town-aligned)
It all happened so suddenly. Today is market day, the most important day of the week. It's the day the market is open and everyone shows off what they've hunted, fished, caught, grown, made, and crafted in the past week. The stalls are set up neatly, and practically the whole town is there buying things for the upcoming week.
Today was like every other day. You were happily in the market, buying bread and fish and vegetables and some fruit that arrived in a shipment just this morning. Things were fairly ordinary, until a strange, cloaked figure stood up on a podium. He loudly cleared his throat, and shouted, loudly enough for all to hear, albeit faintly: "everyone listening to me right now, grab the sharpest thing near you, and kill the first person you see that isn't me."
What happened next was as weird as it was horrifying. You felt your mind go blank. Your smile descended, and you saw your arms reaching for a knife, or a sharpened piece of ceramic tile, or even a pointy stone - you can't quite remember. Then you turned ninety-degrees and swung madly at the first person you saw. You stabbed at their throat, you stabbed into their eyes, you stabbed in their gut. You didn't do it in anger or fear or malice, in fact inside your head you were screaming to stop, but you couldn't help yourself. When your victim was dead, lying in a pool of blood (both their own and that of those nearby), you suddenly snapped back, as if waking up from a surreal dream.
And then you screamed.
You are a townie! You seek to restore peace and order to this town, and as such, win when all scum players are removed from the game.
You have no other outstanding powers or abilities.
You are vanilla and you are town-aligned.

St. Leroux is likely a threat to town, your wincon is required for town wincon to be met. Town cannot win while you lose. Something's not fitting together, and I think there's a lot more business going on then you're saying.

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby

b-minus1 posted:

lol

how in the world did that hal post ping you so hard lol

and yes i'm not going to budge on my townread of hal.

it seemed out of place and worth asking about. i'm interested you seem so worried about me asking if you're so sure hal is town. what is the problem?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
*cult not scum, mafia edit

Also, if cult doesn't have a kill, who killed Mona N1? The flavor fits St. Leroux perfectly.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor

Podima posted:

Hm hey bminus where did this even come from? What reason do you have to believe that scum doesn't have a NK AND didn't recruit the first two nights? Did I miss something?

What?
I mean I'm going off the info we have. There was no nk n2. You killed a cult player n3, and there was no other kill. So I offered my interpretation of what I think happened.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CCKeane posted:

Varinn - Valerie - Villager (town-aligned)
It all happened so suddenly. Today is market day, the most important day of the week. It's the day the market is open and everyone shows off what they've hunted, fished, caught, grown, made, and crafted in the past week. The stalls are set up neatly, and practically the whole town is there buying things for the upcoming week.
Today was like every other day. You were happily in the market, buying bread and fish and vegetables and some fruit that arrived in a shipment just this morning. Things were fairly ordinary, until a strange, cloaked figure stood up on a podium. He loudly cleared his throat, and shouted, loudly enough for all to hear, albeit faintly: "everyone listening to me right now, grab the sharpest thing near you, and kill the first person you see that isn't me."
What happened next was as weird as it was horrifying. You felt your mind go blank. Your smile descended, and you saw your arms reaching for a knife, or a sharpened piece of ceramic tile, or even a pointy stone - you can't quite remember. Then you turned ninety-degrees and swung madly at the first person you saw. You stabbed at their throat, you stabbed into their eyes, you stabbed in their gut. You didn't do it in anger or fear or malice, in fact inside your head you were screaming to stop, but you couldn't help yourself. When your victim was dead, lying in a pool of blood (both their own and that of those nearby), you suddenly snapped back, as if waking up from a surreal dream.
And then you screamed.
You are a townie! You seek to restore peace and order to this town, and as such, win when all scum players are removed from the game.
You have no other outstanding powers or abilities.
You are vanilla and you are town-aligned.

St. Leroux is likely a threat to town, your wincon is required for town wincon to be met. Town cannot win while you lose. Something's not fitting together, and I think there's a lot more business going on then you're saying.

I'm not scum. That's the answer that you're refusing to acknowledge. I am self-aligned, but my win condition is part of town's win condition - given a cultist flip, I assume the scum consist of St. Leroux plus cultists.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor

Atomic Soda posted:

it seemed out of place and worth asking about. i'm interested you seem so worried about me asking if you're so sure hal is town. what is the problem?

The only thing I'm worried about is that we are going to either no lynch or lynch someone other than IS.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

b-minus1 posted:

What?
I mean I'm going off the info we have. There was no nk n2. You killed a cult player n3, and there was no other kill. So I offered my interpretation of what I think happened.

Why do you think the cult unsuccessfully recruited the first two nights?

Also that still doesn't explain the N1 kill of Monathin if you think cult doesn't have a kill, unless you think there's another non-cult scum faction in this game.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor

Podima posted:

Also that still doesn't explain the N1 kill of Monathin if you think cult doesn't have a kill, unless you think there's another non-cult scum faction in this game.
wtf
I already put together a long post of exactly what I think happened each night.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Like, can someone else who isn't b- look at those posts and explain to me how they make sense? I'm not seeing it.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3857599&userid=139143&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post485082784

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Podima posted:

*cult not scum, mafia edit

Also, if cult doesn't have a kill, who killed Mona N1? The flavor fits St. Leroux perfectly.

Maybe Mona visited AS, that would also be suicide of a sort. Does kind of fit the flavor but St Leroux maybe people kill each other at the start, not themselves

However taking credit for killing a cult is a little BS because you killed them for lurking according to you, alignment doesn’t really matter.

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby

Podima posted:

pod do you know the answer to my question before - if cult try to recruit the cult cop, will that kill him? bminus brought up the same thing so i don't necessarily think this is suss.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
n1:
cult tried to recruit monathin, it failed and cult cop monathin committed suicide
podima kills db

n2:
cult tries to recruit podima, it fails

n3:
cult successfully recruits keane

d4: cult try to get podima lynched because he is apparently the only lethal threat to them at night and cant be recruited

this is my interpretation of what happened

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Podima posted:

Like, can someone else who isn't b- look at those posts and explain to me how they make sense? I'm not seeing it.

I agree he seems to be a little confident of his entirely speculative read but he did explain it a few times

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Podima posted:

I'm not scum. That's the answer that you're refusing to acknowledge. I am self-aligned, but my win condition is part of town's win condition - given a cultist flip, I assume the scum consist of St. Leroux plus cultists.

Okay, so to be clear, you are claiming a win con that is a specific subsection of the town wincon, and that you have more tools available to achieve this wincon, and that you don't investigate as town because of this different wincon, and that's what tipped you off about AA, correct?

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby

Hal Incandenza posted:

Maybe Mona visited AS, that would also be suicide of a sort. Does kind of fit the flavor but St Leroux maybe people kill each other at the start, not themselves

However taking credit for killing a cult is a little BS because you killed them for lurking according to you, alignment doesn’t really matter.

doesn't fit with my flavour, and i can't see mona deciding to visit me given he was one of the people who believed my claim. so i think it was the cult

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks for linking this but you're still missing how you arrived at your thinking about a second night with no recruitment. I don't see it in there, only the guess that Mona was somehow unrecruitable as a cult cop.

Atomic Soda posted:

pod do you know the answer to my question before - if cult try to recruit the cult cop, will that kill him? bminus brought up the same thing so i don't necessarily think this is suss.

I have no idea what Monathin's role did for him.

Hal Incandenza posted:

Do you think AS is lying about her kill flavor then? She already claimed her PGO flavor, and it is not "commit suicide."

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor

CCKeane posted:

Okay, so to be clear, you are claiming a win con that is a specific subsection of the town wincon, and that you have more tools available to achieve this wincon, and that you don't investigate as town because of this different wincon, and that's what tipped you off about AA, correct?

you're not scum/culthunting. You're cult, it's so obvious now. we aren't going to lynch podima. just tell us what night you were culted

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

b-minus1 posted:

n1:
cult tried to recruit monathin, it failed and cult cop monathin committed suicide
podima kills db

n2:

n3:

d4: cult try to get podima lynched because he is apparently the only lethal threat to them at night and cant be recruited

This makes no sense

How was meinberg in the cult then?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

b-minus1 posted:

n1:
podima kills db

n2:

n3:

You're assuming Alasdair started as cult, then?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

b-minus1 posted:

n1:
podima kills db

n2:

n3:

Why do you think cult tried to recruit me N2 after AA flipped naive cop?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

CCKeane posted:

You stabbed at their throat, you stabbed into their eyes, you stabbed in their gut.

b-minus1 posted:

my role pm also includes lots of death and destruction fwiw. sal may actually be good. could just be a fakeclaim pm. let me think

Later:

b-minus1 posted:

Holy poo poo. I just read my whole pm for the first time lol. I was in the market and I stabbed someone in the eye and gut. Because the voice told me to. . Fuckin rekt

:pwn:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CCKeane posted:

That is exactly correct.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

b-minus1 posted:

you're not scum/culthunting. You're cult, it's so obvious now. we aren't going to lynch podima. just tell us what night you were culted

I am dragging town by the hair to execute the player who is killing people and lead an execution on a claimed cop on a poor case. I've been suspicious of Pod FOR A LONG TIME.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor

CCKeane posted:

You're assuming Alasdair started as cult, then?

yes, that is my assumption. I've said this more than once now.

Podima posted:

Why do you think cult tried to recruit me N2 after AA flipped naive cop?

I have no idea. I don't even know that's what happened. All I am doing is try to make sense of the info we have.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
##vote bminus

This is my vote today.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Podima posted:

That is exactly correct.

May I see the aurora borealis?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

b-minus1 posted:

yes, that is my assumption. I've said this more than once now.

I have no idea. I don't even know that's what happened. All I am doing is try to make sense of the info we have.

You're making a very implausible leap of logic to say that cult failed to recruit twice based on multiple assumptions that I don't think a town player should have.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CCKeane posted:

May I see the aurora borealis?

I chuckled and now I can't not read it in that cadence.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor

CCKeane posted:

I am dragging town by the hair to execute the player who is killing people and lead an execution on a claimed cop on a poor case. I've been suspicious of Pod FOR A LONG TIME.

just so we are clear, do you think pod is cult, yes or no? personally, I am more interested in finding cult right now. just wondering why you arent concerned with cult at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor

Podima posted:

You're making a very implausible leap of logic to say that cult failed to recruit twice based on multiple assumptions that I don't think a town player should have.

jfc pod. what are you doing right now

• Locked thread