Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The REAL Goobusters posted:

There is apparently people disappointed that the RE2 Remake isn't like the first REmake with an isometric camera and poo poo which is actually so bewildering to me lol.

A friend of mine was saying that last night. To me that kind of remake would be pointless, since I really like the aesthetics of RE2 and I feel it aged well. So that same game just with high res modern aesthetic choices would be less fun for me, lacking the connection/nostalgia, and just be less good. Like the Psycho remake. But, on the other hand, everybody loves REmake. But that also had more room to improve stylistically than RE2 I think, plus it was 16 years ago, would seem weirder if they did it today.

You can't replace RE2, so this game has to do it's own thing to be worthwhile. And it looks like it is, the first impression is quite good to me.

Len posted:

Hopefully there's more to shoot at than just zombies :ohdear:

You saw ye Lickers and Mr. X in the trailer, I bet this will have all or most of the enemies from RE2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Heavy Metal posted:

A friend of mine was saying that last night. To me that kind of remake would be pointless, since I really like the aesthetics of RE2 and I feel it aged well. So that same game just with high res modern aesthetic choices would be less fun for me, lacking the connection/nostalgia, and just be less good. Like the Psycho remake. But, on the other hand, everybody loves REmake. But that also had more room to improve stylistically than RE2 I think, plus it was 16 years ago, would seem weirder if they did it today.

You can't replace RE2, so this game has to do it's own thing to be worthwhile. And it looks like it is, the first impression is quite good to me.

You saw ye Lickers and Mr. X in the trailer, I bet this will have all or most of the enemies from RE2.

Word I wouldn't really give a poo poo if the game wasn't what they showed at E3.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its crazy how they were able to turn the ship around after RE6

From a sales perspective not so much. People really underestimate just how well RE6 sold.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The older games were a product of their era and time and the pre rendered backgrounds and fixed camera were an attempt to make things atmospheric with limited resources. Just look at the footage of the RE2 remake and you can see it is full of atmosphere so why not give us the ability to aim and have better situational awareness that over the shoulder brings?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

There is apparently people disappointed that the RE2 Remake isn't like the first REmake with an isometric camera and poo poo which is actually so bewildering to me lol.

It’s me I think that.

I also don’t really care for RE4 combat

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I was hoping for it too, but it's not like I dislike what we ended up getting. RE2 was the best game using that style, and I think there's still room for it in modern games.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s me I think that.

I also don’t really care for RE4 combat

I haven't seen any suplexes so I don't think its RE4 combat.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Some people are holding out hope for a fixed camera mode but it seems like they've intentionally designed a lot of stuff with the over the shoulder perspective in mind. Like the dark rooms are extremely dark and you can't see anything beyond where Leon's flashlight is pointing. The emphasis on precision aiming and the location specific damage on enemies. The way the camera zooms in tight when you get attacked to show the zombies up close.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Kibayasu posted:

I haven't seen any suplexes so I don't think its RE4 combat.

Of course not, Leon has yet to undergo the rigorous government training that skill requires.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
I bet if Capcom do include fixes camera angles it'll be an unlockable or an Easter egg like how Lost In Nightmares did. Search Wesker's desk 50 times and the camera angle changes or something.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
So I played it for about 45 minutes at Capcom's booth today, behind closed doors.

I'm a little salty that the demo was hard-coded to end the moment that Claire shows up (she's at the back door to the police station, like where the B-scenario character entered in RE2), but other than that, good stuff. The police station feels a lot more cramped and lived-in and generally disaster-struck, the zombies are weirdly durable (I had one take three clean headshots, then get right back up the moment I turned away), and it's got that same flavor that the "REmake" did, where there's a lot thrown in as a shout-out to the original, but just as much that's specifically there to screw with your memories.

I wouldn't worry too much about spoiling the demo, as it's a pretty small chunk of the game and there's no real guarantee it's actually part of the final product. I'd actually get a real kick out of it if the E3 demo had reshuffled a lot of stuff, the same way the original RE2 demo did (you ran into Ada for the first time in the STARS office, etc.).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
zombies were too easy in re6, since they were both flimsy and slow. making them durable to small arms is the bare minimum necessary to make them threatening at all.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Barudak posted:

From a sales perspective not so much. People really underestimate just how well RE6 sold.

I meant more critically/quality of the game. I know it sold super well. Isn't RE7 like one of the weaker games in terms of sales?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

jesus I completely forgot E3 was this week.

I'm liking this so far, kinda surprised that people are complaining about this being too much like RE4 when I have been getting more of a Revelations vibe instead. I'm glad this is getting a PC release because otherwise I was gonna have to buy a PS4 and, well, I don't want to do that juuuuuust yet

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

zombies were too easy in re6, since they were both flimsy and slow. making them durable to small arms is the bare minimum necessary to make them threatening at all.

Even in the original RE2 zombies took half a handgun mag to kill- the only really efficient weapon for them was the shotgun headshots, and I don't think you'll get to be able to do that en masse in the real game.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I'm not going to lie, I'm still holding out hope for a static camera angles easter egg like Lost in Nightmares. I'd definitely rather play over the shoulder though. If there was an easter egg like that I'd probably only get it going once and play for a little bit.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Is there anything they could possibly do to re2make that would put you off? I honestly can't think of anything short of diabolical DLC chicanery.
I'm just hyped to gently caress.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
If the demo footage plays as well as it looks and it doesn’t go completely off the rails in reimagining the story I don’t see how this won’t be a success.

Then again if they include a madhouse option I’d be pissed if they hide the full story behind a difficulty wall. (I know they didn’t for 7 but still) I played for three hours and I just can’t get past MIA in 7. She just won’t pass out

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I meant more critically/quality of the game. I know it sold super well. Isn't RE7 like one of the weaker games in terms of sales?

Critically it was better recieved, but Ill admit Im a weirdo and RE7 was so much worse than RE6 for me I didnt even bother finishing it.

Its the weakest of the post RE4 games I believe, but its also the one thats been out the shortest amount of time and still has sold several million copies.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Mogomra posted:

I'm not going to lie, I'm still holding out hope for a static camera angles easter egg like Lost in Nightmares. I'd definitely rather play over the shoulder though. If there was an easter egg like that I'd probably only get it going once and play for a little bit.

he runs toward the camera in this shot form the 2nd trailer. i'd say its in as pickable option (it was leaked as such with rebalanced gameplay for each mode) or a after game bonus mode. ink ribbions have been confirmed for different modes/higher difficulty, would not be surprised if theres a classic mode or some poo poo.

theres some theorizing (they seem to be ignoring the shot above) based on shot of claire from the end of e3 demo and its similar shot from frame by framing the 2nd trailer that leon might be OTS and claire gets fixed static cameras but i dunno how i'd feel if that was the case, it would be interesting shake up but i'd still option to pick.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jun 15, 2018

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Vikar Jerome posted:

theres some theorizing (they seem to be ignoring the shot above) based on shot of claire from the end of e3 demo and its similar shot from frame by framing the 2nd trailer that leon might be OTS and claire gets fixed static cameras but i dunno how i'd feel if that was the case, it would be interesting shake up but i'd still option to pick.
Wow, I can just imagine the sheer avalanche of articles about the gender politics of the game if they did that, and it'd probably be pretty justified. Maybe they could lampshade it with Wesker occasionally making creepy comments, like we're actually observing Claire alongside Wesker.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
You guys arent thinking nearly visionary enough

Twin stick shooter :q:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

abagofcheetos posted:

You guys arent thinking nearly visionary enough

Twin stick shooter :q:
That's the RE3 remake. The secret non-canon ending is killing every T-virus creature in the city and getting the nuke called off.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Re3Make (R3Make?) Would capitalise on the emergency dodge system for sick killer zombie busting combos!!!!

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

DeadButDelicious posted:

Re3Make (R3Make?) Would capitalise on the emergency dodge system for sick killer zombie busting combos!!!!

Finally a good dead rising sequel

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

I don't wanna get worked up hoping for tank control mode, but I'd love to see it. I love 1-6 a lot, so I'm happy either way

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

DeadButDelicious posted:

God Hand dodging.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Is there any evidence that anybody actually managed to use the dodge in RE3 even semi-reliably?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Kibayasu posted:

Is there any evidence that anybody actually managed to use the dodge in RE3 even semi-reliably?
I've seen people actually praise the dodge system in RE3, and I have no idea what they saw in it. :psyduck:

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Every single dodge I pulled off in RE3 was 100% accidental. To this day I still don't know how it works, and I played through it again last year

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Because Jill looks ultra cool when she does it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRpsVSMTGCM

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Raxivace posted:

I've seen people actually praise the dodge system in RE3, and I have no idea what they saw in it. :psyduck:

RE3 is my favorite in the series by a large margin, and I can say first hand that once you figure out how the dodge system actually works it is reliable and useful. I used to practice on Nemesis in the RPD courtyard. Basically, if you have your weapon out and try to fire when an attack is about to connect, you'd dodge, but not if you're in your weapon's firing animation. So the handgun was the best for dodging and the shotgun was one of the worst.

Edit: It wasn't actually useful for dodging zombies though, since their attack animation is like one frame. You can absolutely clown Nemesis though with a bit of practice.

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 15, 2018

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
It was cool but in too many situations it wasn't helpful even if you pulled it off because we didn't have i-frames back then.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Someone help me beat REmake. Conceptually I love the game. I love classic RE. But the game is too loving scary and the game feels too hard. I’m not sure if it feels hard because it scares the poo poo out of me or what. I’ve beaten RE1-5 multiple times and have never been able to beat REmake. It scares the absolute crap out of me in a way I cannot articulate. And it’s really weird I’m unable to play it despite being an RE vet. Please help. Tips, anything to make it better. I want to prep for REmake2.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if it pushes your buttons it pushes your buttons. maybe watch a lp so you know what's coming ahead of time?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I’m convinced that’d ruin it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Himuro posted:

Someone help me beat REmake. Conceptually I love the game. I love classic RE. But the game is too loving scary and the game feels too hard. I’m not sure if it feels hard because it scares the poo poo out of me or what. I’ve beaten RE1-5 multiple times and have never been able to beat REmake. It scares the absolute crap out of me in a way I cannot articulate. And it’s really weird I’m unable to play it despite being an RE vet. Please help. Tips, anything to make it better. I want to prep for REmake2.
At which point playing the game do you reach Brad Vickers levels of fear? The arrival of crimson heads as an enemy?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

A Buttery Pastry posted:

At which point playing the game do you reach Brad Vickers levels of fear? The arrival of crimson heads as an enemy?

Dude it’s the atmosphere in general. They loving nailed it.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Who you playing as? Jill definitely has an easier time of it. The other good piece of advice I have is that it is much better for you if you avoid enemies and don't kill them, so you don't have to worry about them coming back as Crimson Heads. Though Jill can just fry 'em with flame rounds. Back on the GC I used the old infinite ammo glitch to get 255 rounds and just punk the whole game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Himuro posted:

I’m convinced that’d ruin it.

if it terrifies you and you want it to stop terrifying you then you want it to be ruined. you can't have it both ways.