Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

did i hallucinate the thing where he posted about how loving animals was totally fine because it doesn't hurt the animals or did that really happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Yeah I was gonna say, doesn't YMS want to violate California state law? (the joke is that he said something to that effect in a Cool Cat video)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Zedd posted:

Yeah I'm probably just getting a narrow view at it from limited experience, I do see the overlap with other stuff I'm all a-okay with and actively support and they might just be used to the prejudice and assume the worst in self defence.

There's also just pointlessly hostile furries out there in the same way there's pointlessly hostile jerks in literally every subculture ever.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Junpei Hyde posted:

anyway infinity war talk should prob go in CineD idk

Can star wars talk also be shoved off in there, or does this only apply to movies you, personally, haven't seen?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I like YMS. yeah he is too critical(though thats sorta his gimmick, but i find his humor funny. same with the I Hate dude.

surprisly i dont hate watch stuff. i will hate read stuff sometimes but if i am gonna watch something, i want to enjoy it.

The only time I watched one of those "I Hate Everything" videos it was about Destiny 2 and he spent a long time complaining about how there were no new enemies over footage of a character killing a brand new enemy type and that nothing about your character's super skills have changed while showing footage of the two new super attacks. Game turned out to be garbage, but a lot of his complaints just came across as really pedantic and half-imagined compared to the massive issues the game did, and mostly still does, have.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Nuebot posted:

Can star wars talk also be shoved off in there, or does this only apply to movies you, personally, haven't seen?

The only time I watched one of those "I Hate Everything" videos it was about Destiny 2 and he spent a long time complaining about how there were no new enemies over footage of a character killing a brand new enemy type and that nothing about your character's super skills have changed while showing footage of the two new super attacks. Game turned out to be garbage, but a lot of his complaints just came across as really pedantic and half-imagined compared to the massive issues the game did, and mostly still does, have.

some of his stuff is ok as background sound but yeah i agree. pedantic critics either work or don't. I still think the worst critics out there of that variety is razorfist. He pretty much just hates anything popular(or good) for dumb petty reasons and he is also a giant chud.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Zedd posted:

I'm in some discord servers more progressive orientated, and sometimes there people drop BTW FURRY ACCEPTENCE in there and i'm just like waitwhat, a person mentions its offtopic and they get kinda offended. I's all relatively tame but I guess my being so "ehhhh" towards it makes it seem weird to me.

Well, that's just inappropriate on their part. Like the BDSM people who try to muscle into the Queer Umbrella.

Mostly furries are just amusingly weird and have a slightly higher proportion of socially inept people because they're super accepting, at least in my experience. Also some of them have really funny fetishes.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
There's so many gay furries though.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Well yeah but they're oppressed because they're gay, not because they're furry. At least in political terms. I don't think many people are refusing to make a custom wedding cake for a furry wedding because it's against their religious beliefs, is all.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Nuebot posted:

Can star wars talk also be shoved off in there

ye, at least after it takes up a full page of the thread or smth

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

khwarezm posted:

I'm trying to get through this, but the desperately faux intellectual airs his putting on ('A measured response my goon sir!') and the fact that he opens by saying there is such a thing as objective criticism is really making it difficult!

So I couldn't even get to the end of the first video, holy poo poo everything about that guy's video just sapped me of any ability to go further, it's the absolute nadir of internet criticism, listening to some guy drone on and on with absolutely no attempt to summarize or edit things down and instead breaking down every minute detail for the video he's responding too and taking issue with literally every sentence that HBomerguy makes no matter how facile and pointless it ends up being. It's like one of those arguments in DnD where somebody posts pages and pages to respond to one guys post and breaks down each individual sentence trying to poke holes in the argument and the post just grows exponentially to ever higher amounts of meaningless bullshit. It's all presented in the most boring manner imaginable, no real editing or clever framing devices, no sense of humor or anything like that, just him droning into the microphone with gameplay footage playing in back. It's like those dumb internet atheist videos where they think that dismantling each individual sentence somebody says (when they clearly can't engage) and keeping a wikipedia page open on another tab entitled 'List of fallacies' is the height of discourse, and it's incredibly obvious from his tone and language, which is pointlessly flowery and really screams of that 'I a smart, sophisticated British man on the internet and I must make that absolutely clear just like my Hero Totalbiscuit (RIP)' attitude, that this guy takes the Dark Souls Videogame series exactly as seriously as an existential political debate, there's like six more hours of this poo poo.

What a waste of time.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

khwarezm posted:

What a waste of time.

You just summed up both most Youtube "critics" and this thread perfectly.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's called a gish gallop and it's very effective if your arguments are primarily for show to your supporters rather than discourse with your detractors, as people can confuse the quantity of points you're making for paucity in the opponent's argument.

Your audience won't evaluate your points on merit because they already agree with you, and your opponent can't possibly respond to all of your points without abandoning progressing the discussion, making it appear like you have an unbeatable argument because they are yet to counter it.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
Man I remember being on these forums back in 2002 when furries were considered the worst thing on the internet. Jesus, how loving short sighted were we? Compared to all the nazis, MRAs, and other Trump enthusiasts, guys who want to get hosed by Charles Entertainment Cheese seem downright quaint.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

It's called a gish gallop and it's very effective if your arguments are primarily for show to your supporters rather than discourse with your detractors, as people can confuse the quantity of points you're making for paucity in the opponent's argument.

Your audience won't evaluate your points on merit because they already agree with you, and your opponent can't possibly respond to all of your points without abandoning progressing the discussion, making it appear like you have an unbeatable argument because they are yet to counter it.

Surprise surprise YouTube intelligentsia love this. I remember judging a debate club and its always the funniest poo poo listening to kids voices go up an octave because pausing to take a breath is precious seconds that could be spent making another obtuse assertion.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Puppy Time posted:

Well yeah but they're oppressed because they're gay, not because they're furry. At least in political terms. I don't think many people are refusing to make a custom wedding cake for a furry wedding because it's against their religious beliefs, is all.

Yeah , if you make a dorky fandom where the subjects of such are mostly self-made, said subjects mostly made from "Well, here's my OC where I put a lot of myself into it", with cons being advertised on the 1980's part on kink magazines, with a chance for people to be on this place where they can be something of their own design, good chances are that you're going to see a lot of people exploring their gender and sexuality on it, leading to a lot of GSM folk on it.
The whole self-hate thing that went for quite a while did also mean that this was obscured by "Well most are men, so its jailhouse gay" or "Well these are dorks, so they are confusing their feelings of another gender or sexuality bc they don't go out enough and know more normal people" and so on and so on.

There's a bit of a chicken and egg situation where as time went, the furry fandom kinda became more acceptable either because more "well adjusted" people joined it which shaped it to be more proactive on one's flaws OR the world became more accepting of all those bits and pieces with a more progressive view becoming more popular. I'm of the later camp, specially after seeing a lot of art figures change their tone from "You must censor all of your anime and furry inspired work in order to even be accepted and employed by us" TO "Oh yeah go ahead and draw for my children's cartoon, guy who did Pirate Baby's Cabana Battle Street Fight" mysteriously after 2008 or so. A somewhat closed fandom also meant that all sorts of movements inside happened far quicker, so years of "constant drama" became more clear as others started seeing the same things happen, down to actual studios and companies. I know Shmorky's Ex's revelations were a huge wakeup call for everyone who brought Shmork's constant "Hi I escaped the furry fandom and they're all bitter about me bc I don't get to draw their weird fetishes. No don't look much into what they're actually saying."

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
7 Habits of Highly Effective Death Positive People: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVO37s6PAvA

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 15, 2018

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The Incredibles - Ayn Rand and Objectivism | Renegade Cut: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPBOfW7ocK0

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

MariusLecter posted:

The Incredibles - Ayn Rand and Objectivism | Renegade Cut: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPBOfW7ocK0

interesting.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

EndOfTheWorld posted:

Man I remember being on these forums back in 2002 when furries were considered the worst thing on the internet. Jesus, how loving short sighted were we? Compared to all the nazis, MRAs, and other Trump enthusiasts, guys who want to get hosed by Charles Entertainment Cheese seem downright quaint.

pretty much. i have a friend or two that are furries and judging from talking to them, most furries are fine or normal. its just a open fetish/kink and other then that they are pretty normal. the only hosed up ones are the nazis and baby furs from what i have see,

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

MariusLecter posted:

This was a really good breakdown on Objectivist reads on the Incredibles and a good primer on how to analyze film in general. There are ideas in Incredibles that seem Randian but there are also ideas that are blatantly not Randian and even seem to criticize her "philosophy".

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

pretty much. i have a friend or two that are furries and judging from talking to them, most furries are fine or normal. its just a open fetish/kink and other then that they are pretty normal. the only hosed up ones are the nazis and baby furs from what i have see,

Most of the ones I've known don't even treat it like a fetish, they're just weird dorks who like drawing/writing/pretending to be cartoon animals.

Never really got the sheer hatred for furries; like some of them are annoying assholes, but not moreso than any other hobby for awkward nerds.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://medium.com/@skydart/rose-colored-glasses-6be0594970ca

so chris hardwick is giant monster piece of poo poo. the nerdist has already gone Damnatio memoriae on all his stuff, which is nice.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Puppy Time posted:

Most of the ones I've known don't even treat it like a fetish, they're just weird dorks who like drawing/writing/pretending to be cartoon animals.

Never really got the sheer hatred for furries; like some of them are annoying assholes, but not moreso than any other hobby for awkward nerds.

I have just never cared. as long as they arnt hurting anyone, they can do whatever.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Question:

I saw Kyle Kallgren's tweet from a few months ago about The Last Jedi:

Here. (I can't figure out how to embed tweets.)

Does he really love it or is he exaggerating or being sarcastic for humorous effect?

I don't mean to cast aspersions on him but the Internet makes it hard for me to tell. :sigh:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Wheat Loaf posted:

Question:

Does he really love it or is he exaggerating or being sarcastic for humorous effect?

I don't mean to cast aspersions on him but the Internet makes it hard for me to tell. :sigh:

just read the replies? it's not that hard: he actually likes it

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Wheat Loaf posted:

Question:

the man's butt defense makes it very clear, seems to like it.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I'm glad that Kyle liked the movie and also find it really silly that people genuinely thought it was impossible that he did.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have a hard enough time with people being blunt when I'm speaking to them. I always think they're being sarcastic. It's same when I'm reading peoples' statements :shrug:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
eh to be fair the internet and twitter especially has murdered irony and sarcasm and made a skin suit out of it so I can see not being 100% clear if a dude who hasn't talked much about it before was serious.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Tired Moritz posted:

I'm glad that Kyle liked the movie and also find it really silly that people genuinely thought it was impossible that he did.

Many people have trouble with the idea of "Other people may have different opinions (and they are not wrong to disagree with yours)."

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Well, we just got over Star Wars talk so let's talk about some star wars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQmKabdArUg

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

i liked the last jedi enough. it had a bunch of big issues but it was alright over all. hell i liked solo a bunch too. rogue one is mixed bag of meh to crap and TFA is pretty good.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tired Moritz posted:

it's the "masterpiece" bit. there are very few movies i like or even love that i'd call masterpieces (the last jedi is definitely not a masterpiece but no star wars is).

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://medium.com/@skydart/rose-colored-glasses-6be0594970ca

so chris hardwick is giant monster piece of poo poo. the nerdist has already gone Damnatio memoriae on all his stuff, which is nice.

It’s pretty cool that we’re at least in a place culturally where it’s expected that this will happen and that it happens quickly and without endless NYT “gone too far?” editorials.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Well, we just got over Star Wars talk so let's talk about some star wars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQmKabdArUg

I think $250 million was the budget including reshoots and it was less than $200 million originally, but I've also heard that it had been going over-budget when Lord and Miller were directing anyway.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think $250 million was the budget including reshoots and it was less than $200 million originally, but I've also heard that it had been going over-budget when Lord and Miller were directing anyway.

But they also probably heavily underestimated the advertising budget, I've heard it's usually as much as the entire production budget for major releases like a Star Wars movie, sometimes even more.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My hawt take is of course that Episode IX will underperform both TFA and TLJ. :troll:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'm glad solo is a flop.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

business hammocks posted:

If anyone followed the Cracked youtube channel, Maggie Mae Fish from those quasi-critical media chat shows has struck out on her own as a genuine critic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ0nAkXOkMs

Gonna give this a bump, because I just watched her Tim Burton video and it's legit fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

My hawt take is of course that Episode IX will underperform both TFA and TLJ. :troll:

Honestly I think IX might be another huge hit because Disney is totally going to sell it as the Big Finale of Star Wars (spoilers, it won't be, of course) and all the controversy over TLJ is going to make people want to see this one even more.

TheMaestroso posted:

Gonna give this a bump, because I just watched her Tim Burton video and it's legit fantastic.

She's 100% right about Man of Steel and it gave me great joy to hear her express how loving dumb Pa Kent's "maybe let all those kids on the bus die, Clark!" speech is.