Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I would just like to note I am still super happy with Questrade since switching from TD a year or so ago, and highly recommend it for others as well.

Decided I wanted to buy some things in USD later, so did the Norberts Gambit. Pop open their chat to request the journaling, connects instantly with a support person, request completed within 2 minutes.

Quick and easy. TD has no chat, and if you email them it usually takes 2-3 business days for a reply. Calling them I was usually waiting on hold for awhile, and also forced to talk to a person.

Text chat is always preferable to me if it's an option.
:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

The Butcher posted:

I would just like to note I am still super happy with Questrade since switching from TD a year or so ago, and highly recommend it for others as well.

Decided I wanted to buy some things in USD later, so did the Norberts Gambit. Pop open their chat to request the journaling, connects instantly with a support person, request completed within 2 minutes.

Quick and easy. TD has no chat, and if you email them it usually takes 2-3 business days for a reply. Calling them I was usually waiting on hold for awhile, and also forced to talk to a person.

What stock do you use for the Norbert's Gambit, if you don't mind me asking?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I've always used DLR and DLR.U

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Yeah it appears DLR is specifically designed for that purpose. No risk of the stock moving unfavorably while waiting for journaling/settlement.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:

The Butcher posted:

I should get around to finally switch switching to questrade. Been with TD since I was born but now that I often do daily trades on the stock market, ive been using TDs advanced dashboard. While it's OK I checked out questrades active investor platform and it's a heck of a lot better. More specifically it has my VWAP technical indicator.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Joink posted:

I should get around to finally switch switching to questrade. Been with TD since I was born but now that I often do daily trades on the stock market, ive been using TDs advanced dashboard. While it's OK I checked out questrades active investor platform and it's a heck of a lot better. More specifically it has my VWAP technical indicator.

Yeah it's real nice.

If you're trading on the reg it'd be worth it even just to cut your commissions in half. That poo poo adds up!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
BMO just sent me this email:

quote:

To our valued customers,
The safety and security of your BMO accounts is our top priority. We are providing you with this update because we received a claim that fraudsters gained access to certain personal and financial information for some of our customers.

We are calling each potentially-impacted customer to offer complimentary credit monitoring, replace cards, ensure all passwords get reset, and determine if there was any financial impact. Customers will not lose money from this incident, as we will fully reimburse our customers for any financial impact of unauthorized transactions. We have multiple layers of protection, and a team of dedicated experts monitoring and tracking your accounts 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

In addition, we encourage you to visit bmo.com/security to learn more about steps that you can take to help safeguard your personal information. Here are a few quick tips to keep top of mind:
1. Change passwords regularly. Update your online and mobile passwords and your security questions every 90 days.
2. Pause before you click. If you get a strange request, don’t recognize the company name, or are asked to click a link or download a file, don’t do it unless you’re sure it’s legit. And call the company directly, should the request sound urgent or threatening. We’ll never ask for your personal information or account details by email or an unsolicited phone call. If you receive a suspicious email pretending to be from BMO, forward it as an attachment to online.fraud@bmo.com.
3. Stay alert. Sign up for BMO Alerts and receive alerts by email or text to your smartphone to stay informed and up-to-date on your account and its activity.
For additional information and ongoing updates, please visit bmo.com/security.

I'm strongly tempted to reply back "I'm obviously not the one who needs to take steps to safeguard my personal information"

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
The one account I really want two factor authorization on (aside from my email account) is my bank account. Do any banks in Canada do this yet?

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cold on a Cob posted:

The one account I really want two factor authorization on (aside from my email account) is my bank account. Do any banks in Canada do this yet?

TD (for sure) and Scotiabank (I've heard). Also EQ hits you via SMS if you don't have a valid cookie from a previous "trust this device" logon.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
TD just prompted me to set it up today but gently caress it I didn't do it yet.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I was just thinking about this the other day, when I did a 5-figure transfer that could have been done shockingly easily by someone other than myself. But hey, my 44 cent Steam card collection is protected by two factor authentication AND a waiting period that's email notified on both ends so there's that at least :v:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

NumbersMatching320 posted:

I was just thinking about this the other day, when I did a 5-figure transfer that could have been done shockingly easily by someone other than myself. But hey, my 44 cent Steam card collection is protected by two factor authentication AND a waiting period that's email notified on both ends so there's that at least :v:

To be fair, the quality and quantity of griefing and other shenanigans that bored, idiot gamers will undertake would flummox any bank's IT security department within ten minutes. Hell hath no fury like a gamer scorned.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
How does two-factor authorization work for people like my mom who use online banking but don't have a cell phone?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You get a letter in the mail.

In actuality it just doesn’t, which is why it won’t be mandatory. (She could get an authenticator app to run on her PC, in theory, but it doesn’t really happen.)

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

HookShot posted:

How does two-factor authorization work for people like my mom who use online banking but don't have a cell phone?

Optional feature with Big 5, don't opt in, I guess.

Also so as far as I know, everyone in Canada is SMS only, nobody supports physical or software token devices.

(EQ also prompts for a code for large transfers and bill payments... As did RBC, actually, during the ~6 month period they supported an interac etransfer limit of 10k on consumer accounts.)

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

HSBC supports physical/software device authentication but they have like three different types of authentication and they don't refer to them clearly when they want one of the three and its a nightmare.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Tangerine Interac e-transfers are not accepting correct answers... Apparently I'm not the only one either. I've literally never seen a correct password fail before. I'm pretty embarrassed to talk about, since if you told me that my instincts would be "obviously you typed it wrong", nine times...
And of course their wait times are monstrously long. I just want my three dollars back, damnit!

Venting over, now a question:

Does anyone have any experience with a "spouse has bad credit, I have good credit - we want a mortgage" situation in Ontario? I'm sitting in that boat wondering how to approach this. Is this just going to be a "go in and talk with the lender" type situation? This would be my first mortgage, and I figure I'd have to disclose that I have a spouse, her credit/income, even if she's not on the mortgage... Sorry if this is a housebuyingthreadquestion.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

HookShot posted:

:same: :rip: :canada:

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Jenkl posted:

Tangerine Interac e-transfers are not accepting correct answers... Apparently I'm not the only one either. I've literally never seen a correct password fail before. I'm pretty embarrassed to talk about, since if you told me that my instincts would be "obviously you typed it wrong", nine times...
And of course their wait times are monstrously long. I just want my three dollars back, damnit!

The worst consequence of this is not the wait time to get the money. It is souring a first experience of EFT such that the next time the person says "e-transfers never work, can you just drive over with a cheque?"

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

HookShot posted:

If they had a big balance you could probably get an rsa hard token or something.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

TD definitely supports device-based 2 factor, we've got one of their little key generator devices where I work. Might be business client only, though.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

You get a letter in the mail.

In actuality it just doesn’t, which is why it won’t be mandatory. (She could get an authenticator app to run on her PC, in theory, but it doesn’t really happen.)

When I rejected setting mine up with TD a couple of days ago the site told me it will be mandatory soon.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

HookShot posted:

When I rejected setting mine up with TD a couple of days ago the site told me it will be mandatory soon.

Crazy!

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Finally applied for the Home Trust Visa, it checked the boxes of No Forex and a Visa. I was hoping someone would revive the Amazon card with rewards though. Hopefully I get it before I really need it in February :ohdear:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My home trust visa just arrived, like 3 months after I applied and got no confirmation email of any sort. I already got a replacement card so now I'm just going to call and cancel it??

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm pretty sure Tangerine just hit me with a $40 NSF fee for a non-existent transaction. Especially since all of my PayPal transactions are set to automatically charge to my credit card, instead of my Tangerine account that I regularly leave $0.22 or whatever in since it's just there to transfer money over to my savings.

Plus, just in case I hosed up, I checked my PayPal history and there were absolutely no transactions within 10 days of June 13th, when they claim this random $10.45 charge happened.

HookShot fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 14, 2018

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

HookShot posted:

I'm pretty sure Tangerine just hit me with a $40 NSF fee for a non-existent transaction. Especially since all of my PayPal transactions are set to automatically charge to my credit card, instead of my Tangerine account that I regularly leave $0.22 or whatever in since it's just there to transfer money over to my savings.

Plus, just in case I hosed up, I checked my PayPal history and there were absolutely no transactions within 10 days of June 13th, when they claim this random $10.45 charge happened.

That could be someone trying to use that bank acct info to buy something and having it bounce.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

That could be someone trying to use that bank acct info to buy something and having it bounce.

But PayPal won't let you connect an account until they've deposited money into it, and there aren't any random <$1 deposits into my account?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

HookShot posted:

But PayPal won't let you connect an account until they've deposited money into it, and there aren't any random <$1 deposits into my account?

I meant a bank transfer not via paypal though.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.
Tangerine must have told him it was a Paypal transaction otherwise I don't know why he would be so focused on it.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

I meant a bank transfer not via paypal though.
Yeah, but the NSF fee says it was for a bounced PayPal payment.

Unless there's a way to do it I don't know about? I don't keep up enormously with a lot of banking stuff anymore. But yeah, I'm going to have to find the time to call them, because that's super dumb.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Any recommendations for a business travel credit card? Figure I might as well start accumulating some points. Already use BMO World Elite for all personal transactions.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Any suggestions for a large foreign currency exchange that's not US? I'm looking to exchange a European currency into CAD and I'm not sure where I'll get the best rate. My options seem to be doing it at a bank in the foreign country, at a local Canadian bank, or one of the many online forex sites which I'm wary of. I've contacted my credit union but they couldn't give me a rate and said it could take up to 45 days for the exchange into Canadian which seems crazy. They typically beat the big bank exchange rate for USD but without a solid number I don't think I'll be trying my luck.

The amount I'm looking to exchange is worth around $100,000 CAD so a few % points aren't negligible.

Anybody here dealt with a situation like this before?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Bajaha posted:

Any suggestions for a large foreign currency exchange that's not US? I'm looking to exchange a European currency into CAD and I'm not sure where I'll get the best rate. My options seem to be doing it at a bank in the foreign country, at a local Canadian bank, or one of the many online forex sites which I'm wary of. I've contacted my credit union but they couldn't give me a rate and said it could take up to 45 days for the exchange into Canadian which seems crazy. They typically beat the big bank exchange rate for USD but without a solid number I don't think I'll be trying my luck.

The amount I'm looking to exchange is worth around $100,000 CAD so a few % points aren't negligible.

Anybody here dealt with a situation like this before?

Could always norbit it maybe.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

For a Norbert's gambit I'd have to find an ETF / Stock that trades in both currencies right? I'm not sure how likely that'll be but I'll look into it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

DLR and DLR.U on TSX. Sorry just at work but you should be able to google from that.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I may have been unclear, The money is currently is in a European currency currently, PLN (Polish zloty) to be exact. I'm not sure if there's an equivalent gambit for those two currencies, but it's worth exploring.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sorry I missed the EU currency part! I'm not aware of any norbits set up for that but they likely exist.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

VelociBacon posted:

Sorry I missed the EU currency part! I'm not aware of any norbits set up for that but they likely exist.

I don't think so. You would need something that trades on a North American market in a Polish and CAD currency. I am not aware of any such product. I think the Gambit only works for US/CAD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Do you have cash, or is it sitting in an account in PLN somewhere? I used TransferWise to move PLN to CAD, and it was cheaper than the bulk rates at any of the money changers in Warsaw. TransferWise also has competitors you can look at.