Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

b-minus1 posted:

I expect to see d1 lumpen lists from everyone within the next 24 hours

Scum
B-
Town
Everyone else

Sal make joke much laughing hahaha!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Analyze this:
Day 1 sucks.
Joke phase sucks.
Mafia is a terrible, terrible game.
Meta reads suck.
Flavor cases suck.
Cases built on differing opinion suck.
Cases built on behavioral analysis do NOT suck.
Cases built on post inconsistencies do NOT suck.
I am the best.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
##vote lando :bustem:

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

Analyze this:
Day 1 sucks.
Joke phase sucks.
Meta reads suck.
Flavor cases suck.
Cases built on differing opinion suck.
Cases built on behavioral analysis do NOT suck.
Cases built on post inconsistencies do NOT suck.
I am the best.
Meta cases best cases

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
there had been times goons literally forgot about games so forcing them to post in d1 is good

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Lurker rules are incredibly important in mafia games because otherwise afk people burn town lunches. This long term disadvantages town and encourages scum behaviour such that they murder talkative town members to slowly kill the game's chat.

This is a legit strategy but drives people away from the game and over time encourages people to be quiet during games.

tldr We have lurker rules because mafia is a game played over multiple games and lurker rules ensure that all games remain enjoyable.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
Is it too early to worry about what two mason teams means? I'm a little weirded by it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Anyway, I've been shitposting a bunch because I want people talking.

We've still two days to go on d1 and I don't want people falling asleep.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Dick Bastardly posted:

Is it too early to worry about what two mason teams means? I'm a little weirded by it.

No not at all.

Failing a good case in the next couple of days a lunch on one of them would be good information.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Natural 20 posted:

Lurker rules are incredibly important in mafia games because otherwise afk people burn town lunches. This long term disadvantages town and encourages scum behaviour such that they murder talkative town members to slowly kill the game's chat.

This is a legit strategy but drives people away from the game and over time encourages people to be quiet during games.

tldr We have lurker rules because mafia is a game played over multiple games and lurker rules ensure that all games remain enjoyable.

That's all well and good but when I wake up in the morning to 100+ posts of pure nothingness from like two people I just tune everything out and do not feel like I can be bothered.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Natural 20 posted:

No not at all.

Failing a good case in the next couple of days a lunch on one of them would be good information.

Interesting. You may be on to something Gulag.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
we should kill the people that sat down and actually thought "hmm i dont actually want to post in this game"

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

King Burgundy posted:

Interesting. You may be on to something Gulag.

You don't want to be confirmed town?

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

Tired Moritz posted:

we should kill the people that sat down and actually thought "hmm i dont actually want to post in this game"
i'm not going to apologize for my sedentary lifestyle

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Natural 20 posted:

Yeah this a good point. I was MIA for an afternoon in my last game near deadline and was lynched as town doctor on d1.

Sometimes I don't post a lot bc I'm always accused of being scum and it derails the thread and fucks over the town.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Also I'm bad at mafia. But who isn't really

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20 posted:

You don't want to be confirmed town?

Genuinely this is actually important. Amid a large number of early claims we have two claimed town masonries.

I suggest absent good choices that testing these claims would be valuable and immediately get scum shade from KB.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
yes, amidst the torrent of lovely/joke posts, we should take some comments about masons super serious

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
if two people claimed that theyre town and in a masonry, I dont think the first thing we should kill is lynch them

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
ugh, im making typos. clearly im too tired.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

My new playstyle doesn't allow me to deep dive on this, this early in the game. But I'm sure others will see the many problems here.

My vote on Nat20 is real now. Let the game begin in earnest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Tired Moritz posted:

if two people claimed that theyre town and in a masonry, I dont think the first thing we should kill is lynch them

I'm saying this with the caveat of absent a good case elsewhere.

Caveats aren't a scum thing, nuance is important in mafia as a town weapon. I've established an opinion that people can own me on later and I now can't excuse myself from it.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
why are you making me google up caveat

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Natural 20 posted:

Genuinely this is actually important. Amid a large number of early claims we have two claimed town masonries.

I suggest absent good choices that testing these claims would be valuable and immediately get scum shade from KB.

Killing confirmed town seems like a bad idea but maybe that's just me

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
There's never gonna be a good case on day 1 nat

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
im inclined to keep them if they are in a masonry because kb and gulags are good players and thus them having a masonry is more of a boon than a bane

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
that sounded like shade to sal but it wasn't a reminder that I got pushed by my mason partner in day 1 because I didnt post too much :(

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

They're not confirmed until at least one flips.

A scum gambit I once considered was claiming town masonry.

Again this isn't "Let's deffo lunch the masons" it is "absent good options this might be an idea."

King Burgundy posted:

My new playstyle doesn't allow me to deep dive on this, this early in the game. But I'm sure others will see the many problems here.

This is bullshit.

"I'm a lurker now" doesn't excuse the need to substantiate cases.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

IcePhoenix posted:

Lurker rules are dumb, especially on day one where nothing happens

all you gotta do is poo poo out some chitchat posts about anime or something, sheesh

King Burgundy posted:

nah he sounds town to me :sun:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Bifauxnen posted:

all you gotta do is poo poo out some chitchat posts about anime or something, sheesh

but the only good anime ended in March :negative:

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Sal wonders if maybe some of these "masons" are scum team who are lying to us. Sal would never be smarts enough to pull off that gambit but it is a possibility yes?

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Lando131 posted:

I'll play this but only if Bif isn't as much of a lurker as in Bif is a lurker mafia.

:ironicat:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

SalTheBard posted:

Sal wonders if maybe some of these "masons" are scum team who are lying to us. Sal would never be smarts enough to pull off that gambit but it is a possibility yes?

yeah, it could be a lie. It's a risky one though cause if they claim to be confirmed masons, once one dies you essentially lose both cause the jig is up.

having 4 confirmed town does feel like bullshit though, however.

hmmm, is this playing reasonable townie, from someone who already knows they're not lying scum? I do agree though that they wouldn't be good D1 lunches, despite not finding Nat scummy for considering it at all

There's never gonna be a good case on day 1 nat

yep I might be onto something

##vote ANarc

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

oh lol. Yeah I'd add him to the list, Lando first choice in a lurker lunch

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Natural 20 posted:

This is bullshit.

"I'm a lurker now" doesn't excuse the need to substantiate cases.

Not going to respond to this particular conversational thread again unless we get significantly more content from others, since I'm already higher in post count then I like. But on the off chance I haven't played with you since adopting this style, you aren't going to get more from me then gut reads with no substantiation in the early game. I'm not casing you. I do think you are scum. I think others will see it too. Here was my first stab at the new style in another game in case you want to see it in a game where I'm flipped: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3849854

If I survive to end game you'll see the old me shine through more and more as time goes on to solve the game.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

ok feeling KB for town outside the whole mason claim.

cause he sounds like if Nat argues this with him any more he's about to just slap the Minwu blinkers on and never fuckin let it go cause he knows he's right, and daring to doubt him proves you are lying scum

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Yami Fenrir posted:

Just a friendly reminder that anti-lurker rules are present in this game (10 posts per game day or bad things happen) and currently 5 people have less than 10 posts.

Am I safe? :ohdear:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

morning, Beet!

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

For you, and you alone, I will change the rule to be specifically about USEFUL posts.

(jk)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Bifauxnen posted:

morning, Beet!

:wave:

• Locked thread