Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

This was my first Rifftrax live in Madison and this was by far the best crowd I've seen. Menomonee Falls was usually empty except for myself and this guy who did a MST3K fan show complete with red jumpsuit. Brookfield had some good crowds and a larger theatre, but weren't into it nearly as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My theater did the slides but someone messed up on the sound so we didn't get any of the pre-show music.

You know, they announced that there was nudity and I was sure it was going to involve the space witches and not Ryder and Leah.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
This is my first RiffTrax live. I’m sitting here, actually kind of excited.

God I hope they found a new Norman...

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Space Mutiny manages to somehow make less sense in an unedited format.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Use the coupon code RYDER at checkout to get 10% off your entire order.
Use the coupon code KALGAN for an additional 5% off your order!

Our theater was way more busy than usual so I was too late to see any slides.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
For all the poo poo movies that have gotten “ironic” sequels I’m surprised Space Mutiny hasn’t gotten one.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It now costs a lot of money to license SFX clips from old TV shows, so it's harder to pull that trick.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Maxwell Lord posted:

Space Mutiny manages to somehow make less sense in an unedited format.

I thought it made more sense on a beat-to-beat basis, but holy poo poo if them space witches could have just fixed the whole thing instead of all those dang explosions and deaths and people being cryogenically frozen for no apparent reason that would have been neat.

Hell, just a movie of Battlestar footage would have been better. Just the ships, though. Nothing else.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
The power went out at the mall where we were, 20 minutes prior to the show. It was only out for a couple seconds but it took like 15 minutes for the computers to reboot and go through some sort of file checking procedure before we could stare at a single preshow card for another 15 minutes while the theater found someone who knew how to get the live feed up. While they were working on it on their Windows XP machine or something we saw a youtube video on an ostrich eating popcorn, a window with some Regal Cinema preshow video running, audio from like 8 different things playing at once, then a window with the Rifftrax preshow playing from the beginning again, then finally Rifftrax LIVE 20 minutes into the show. Luckily after rewinding and replaying the same 10 seconds about 50 times, someone figured out how to skip back to the beginning. Then a minute later we got the audio. Classic Rifftrax gag!

This was a great show after that though, which was funny in its own way, and I laughed until I cried with a roughly half full larger theater. The theater I usually go to only had 60 seats for their showing and 52 of them were taken when I checked yesterday morning. Not bad crowds and seeing this movie on the big screen was a delight.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

rickiep00h posted:

I thought it made more sense on a beat-to-beat basis, but holy poo poo if them space witches could have just fixed the whole thing instead of all those dang explosions and deaths and people being cryogenically frozen for no apparent reason that would have been neat.
I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the Ballarians were added to the movie after it was finished to try and "fix" all the plot holes. Which would explain why they never appear in a scene with any of the major characters apart from the one with Cameron Mitchell.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

CapnBry posted:

The power went out at the mall where we were, 20 minutes prior to the show. It was only out for a couple seconds but it took like 15 minutes for the computers to reboot and go through some sort of file checking procedure before we could stare at a single preshow card for another 15 minutes while the theater found someone who knew how to get the live feed up. While they were working on it on their Windows XP machine or something we saw a youtube video on an ostrich eating popcorn, a window with some Regal Cinema preshow video running, audio from like 8 different things playing at once, then a window with the Rifftrax preshow playing from the beginning again, then finally Rifftrax LIVE 20 minutes into the show. Luckily after rewinding and replaying the same 10 seconds about 50 times, someone figured out how to skip back to the beginning. Then a minute later we got the audio. Classic Rifftrax gag!

This was a great show after that though, which was funny in its own way, and I laughed until I cried with a roughly half full larger theater. The theater I usually go to only had 60 seats for their showing and 52 of them were taken when I checked yesterday morning. Not bad crowds and seeing this movie on the big screen was a delight.

This actually sounds kind of amazing
I would like to see this ostrich video

Also Rock n Roll Martian, everybody

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is really weird how someone obviously came up with this whole elaborate backstory for Space Mutiny but like none of it actually appears in the movie.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Dixville posted:

I would like to see this ostrich video
Oh no! Turns out it wasn't popcorn. It was playing in a window in the corner of the screen so it was hard to tell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmXWTFJJKGw

Speaking of backstory, what was the deal with the sexy witches? What were they all about?

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Breadallelogram posted:

Use the coupon code RYDER at checkout to get 10% off your entire order.
Use the coupon code KALGAN for an additional 5% off your order!

Add MUSTACHE to get 15% off riffs in honor of Father's Day

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Dang, do all 3 of those stack?

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Breadallelogram posted:

I tried it after seeing your post, and YES!

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

ringu0 posted:

I tried it after seeing your post, and YES!

hell yeah, I bought the rest of the twilight riffs

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

ringu0 posted:

Add MUSTACHE to get 15% off riffs in honor of Father's Day
Oh come on! I just bought $35 worth of crap I didn't own yet this morning using the 15% and my kickstarter gift cards. Do they not even want our money any more with all these discounts and gift cards?! Still, I don't mind them having a little extra of my money by not stacking all the codes.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Breadallelogram posted:

Sorta. Rifftrax applies the largest discount first, then the next biggest, then the next until the smallest discount. So it's not 30% off, it's a bit less than that, like 27%. Say you buy $20 worth of riffs. The 15% discount takes it down to $17 and then 10% is taken off that, rather than the original subtotal. So you get $15.30 and finally $14.54. Still a lot though.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The Kickstarter code still worked last I checked. And that was a week ago. Not sharing it though, that was just for us!

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

The Kickstarter code still worked last I checked. And that was a week ago. Not sharing it though, that was just for us!

drat, I forgot about that one but I did still have some credit left from christmas and the kickstarter shorts collection that I had forgotten about.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I got one feature and seven shorts for the price of one feature.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

CapnBry posted:

Oh no! Turns out it wasn't popcorn. It was playing in a window in the corner of the screen so it was hard to tell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmXWTFJJKGw

Speaking of backstory, what was the deal with the sexy witches? What were they all about?

The ostrich video was even better than I imagined, thanks!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The Steamed Hams joke got the biggest reaction in my theater. That and the guy so smug about how he had the longest sleeves.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Okay, with my new job that pays me a very livable salary, I wanna plunk down a slightly irresponsible amount of disposable income on some riffs. Any recommendations?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm still charmed by Moon Zero Two from MST3K Season 1

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Infidel Castro posted:

Okay, with my new job that pays me a very livable salary, I wanna plunk down a slightly irresponsible amount of disposable income on some riffs. Any recommendations?

Check out The Last Shark and Planet of the Dinosaurs

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Planet of the Dinosaurs

They must have lost the rights to that one or something because as of a few weeks ago it was no longer available for purchase.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

It's available on Amazon

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Guy from Harlem is an incredible riff
After that id say go through genres you like the most because they have a good spread

And Im probably the only person here who likes Elliot and Potter riffs but I found Hangar 18 incredible

RandomPauI posted:

I'm still charmed by Moon Zero Two from MST3K Season 1

It might honestly be one of my favoirte episodes now because the movie is almost a good one.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jun 17, 2018

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Infidel Castro posted:

Check the OP!

Saw the rebroadcast (I was busy last Thursday), and the crowd was very close to what the live broadcasts usually are. Promising!

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Barudak posted:

Guy from Harlem is an incredible riff
After that id say go through genres you like the most because they have a good spread

And Im probably the only person here who likes Elliot and Potter riffs but I found Hangar 18 incredible

It might honestly be one of my favoirte episodes now because the movie is almost a good one.

Their Hangar 18 riff is really really good.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Welcome to... The Dark.

quote:

Are you afraid of The Dark? You should be. Not because it’s scary, it most certainly isn’t, but because it will rattle your brains if you try too hard to understand what it’s about.

Is it a 70s cop drama about a serial killer? Or a monster movie about a demonic alien creature zapping people with its laser vision? The answer is somehow both, but also neither. William Devane, currently starring in commercials where he convinces older folks it’s a good idea to put all their money in gold, is a “sexy” former cop turned novelist (sure, why not) out to avenge his daughter’s death in a battle against… whatever is happening in The Dark. Really, we spent a lot of time with this movie and we’re still not sure, we’d love your help.

Rounding out the cast of stock 70s character actors who appeared in multiple episodes of Columbo, we’ve got “voice of Shaggy from Scooby-Doo” Casey Kasem as a grim police coroner, Cathy Lee Crosby, and Richard Jaeckel, who keen-eyed Rifftrax fans may recognize as the scientist who got yelled at by shirtless Leslie Nielsen in Day of the Animals.

So yeah, there’s a lot to love in The Dark. But not a lot to see, because it’s dark. Step into the murk of the late 70s with Mike, Kevin, and Bill, and savor the darky darkness of… The Dark!

The film feels like an episode of Kolchak: The Night Stalker but without any of the brisk pacing, humor, or Darren McGavin's overacting. So it's really just lots of night scenes and ugly 70s actors.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Welcome to... The Dark.

The film feels like an episode of Kolchak: The Night Stalker but without any of the brisk pacing, humor, or Darren McGavin's overacting. So it's really just lots of night scenes and ugly 70s actors.

The Dark was made by the original incarnation of Film Ventures International. Could The Visitor be far behind?

The Dark was written and filmed with the killer being an abused child who'd spent his whole life living in an attic, but late in production they decided to cash in on the success of Star Wars and make the killer an alien.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The Tagline made me hopeful that it was a riff of an Are You Afraid of the Dark movie.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
Just watched The Dark, and my boardgaming friends and I got a huge kick out of the accurately detailed Settlers of Catan joke.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The end of Day of the Animals is such an amazing cop out. Crazy animals are all dead and the ozone problem went back to normal. Nobody had to actually do anything. Also the weird cancer storyline went absolutely nowhere because the guy just dies.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

muscles like this! posted:

The end of Day of the Animals is such an amazing cop out. Crazy animals are all dead and the ozone problem went back to normal. Nobody had to actually do anything. Also the weird cancer storyline went absolutely nowhere because the guy just dies.

I have some bad news inre: Night of the Living Dead then.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Finally watched Rollergator. Legitimately the most poorly made film I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Breadallelogram posted:

Finally watched Rollergator. Legitimately the most poorly made film I've ever seen.

I'm so sorry.