Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

quote:

Now here is the really important part. After the fight is over, Cap addresses the crowd.

Gavok's favorite line from this great comic is "Get up so I can knock you down!", which is pretty classic. But mine is "A nation is nothing! A flag is a piece of cloth!!". It's something we could do well to remember in these jingoistic times.

Cap is my favorite super hero, and this is arguably my favorite story about him.

Plus "You're a Nazi smear on the American flag" is a great insult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

AnonSpore posted:

Is it okay to ask for the twitter link or is that :filez:? I'm interested in reading that analysis.

IIRC, it's :filez: if the item in question can be legally bought anywhere. So if Comixology has it... yeah.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I keep confusing that one with the one where Spider-Man shoots not-Cap cold dead.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Those are the pages that get me every. loving. Time.

"U. R. Bandit."

"Is. Coat. Not. We."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Cassa posted:

I keep confusing that one with the one where Spider-Man shoots not-Cap cold dead.

I would so read an entire comic about Spider-man becoming an armed militant fighting against a fascist regime in alliance with Nick Fury and Jonah Jameson.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

isnt that Secret Wars Civil War

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Lurdiak posted:

I would so read an entire comic about Spider-man becoming an armed militant fighting against a fascist regime in alliance with Nick Fury and Jonah Jameson.

Reign Strikes Back

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I posted this in another thread and have probably posted this here before but it still hits me hard.

Peter and Harry are lifelong friends, we all know this. Harry has been suffering the ill effects of the goblin serum and it's been pushing him further and further into insanity. This leads to a finale confrontation between the Green Goblin and Spider-man

"You're my best friend."

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
That was my favorite issue of Spider-Man as a kid, and none of my friends understood why I was so excited for (then let down by) the idea of Harry as Green Goblin 2 in the movies.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Reed just got back from time traveling 4000 years in the future, seeing the eventual death of Ben

Fantastic Four #605

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
It's Blubberin' Time!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I get the general idea of what was being gone for with the effect, but it's super-distracting that it's literally just Brock Lesnar on the TV. Like, not even comic-book-art Lesnar, just a still from a real fight.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Gaz-L posted:

I get the general idea of what was being gone for with the effect, but it's super-distracting that it's literally just Brock Lesnar on the TV. Like, not even comic-book-art Lesnar, just a still from a real fight.

To be fair, he is basically a comic book character.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Don't know the issue sorry

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Nightwing vs Hush. Came out last week. It's really weird and good. Read it.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Batman: Prelude to the Wedding, Nightwing vs. Hush. Out last week.

Edit: ff

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

is she really a supervillainess? Seems more petty crimes + kink to me.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Gaz-L posted:

Reed built Ben a TV that gets stations from all over the multiverse.
Ben is literally watching a Brock Lesnar match from our universe

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The Question IRL posted:

Reed built Ben a TV that gets stations from all over the multiverse.
Ben is literally watching a Brock Lesnar match from our universe

Man, how much does Rick and Morty owe to the Fantastic Four?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

Man, how much does Rick and Morty owe to the Fantastic Four?

Not as much as BttF

Here's the original pilot ep
https://youtu.be/1lpKx3FMNC4

Like it def owes a lot to the Dickheaf Superscientest genre, but BttF is the inspiration

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well-known boxer, Brock Lesnar

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Endless Mike posted:

Well-known boxer, Brock Lesnar

that's The Thing

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Hajime No Ippo was so engrossing that pro wrestler Kenny Omega learned Japanese to keep up with it after the anime ended but the manga continued in Japan.

It ended up serving him in his career since he's now one of the most popular gaijin in New Japan Pro Wrestling history, partly because he gives interviews in Japanese.

That's incredibly impressive. Japanese isn't easy to learn, especially if you want to both speak AND read it. He is breaking some stereotypes of wrestlers being dumb for sure.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

There was a scene in the "Inhumanity" series from a few years back; not sure I can find it.

Black Bolt has had the Voice stripped away from him, and now [someone else] has it. And this is a crushing burden, the other person can't handle it the strain.

so Black Bolt discusses it with Medusa - it's so good to be able to talk to her, and she's just blown away by the fact that now she can hear him - and they agree, he'll have to take the Voice back.

and fortunately, there's another Inhuman who has the power to transfer traits from one person to another. So trait-moving dude gets ready to pull the Voice out of [other person], and shove it back into Black Bolt.

but before he does, Black Bolt turns to Medusa

and he says something really important.

this issue was the first time he was ever able to actually speak to his wife, using words, using his own voice.

he says....

he says "I'M SORRY."

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
You might have some trouble, since it's not from Inhumanity. It's from Uncanny Inhumans #17!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

evilmiera posted:

That's incredibly impressive. Japanese isn't easy to learn, especially if you want to both speak AND read it. He is breaking some stereotypes of wrestlers being dumb for sure.

If you watch his English non-in character interviews (aka kayfabe), he's a really soft spoken guy who tends to actually be very polite (he's Canadian, so no real shock there) and charming. He's super likable and his youtube channel (Cleaner's Corner) has some fun videos of him ahnding out some impressive whoopins' in Street Fighter IV.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I feel compelled to point out he's also one of the best wrestlers performing today, maybe one of the best of all time, and just recently had a match that was rated 7 out of 5 by the only real authority of note in the industry (against one of the other candidates for best wrestler in the world).

Kenny Omega is great.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Pfff, everyone knows the greatest professional wrestler alive is... oh wait, he died. Well, Omega's still not as good as.... oh wait, he died too. Then how about... nope, dead. There's.... hmmm.

Man, no wonder I stopped watching wrestling.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

El Gallinero Gros posted:

If you watch his English non-in character interviews (aka kayfabe), he's a really soft spoken guy who tends to actually be very polite (he's Canadian, so no real shock there) and charming. He's super likable and his youtube channel (Cleaner's Corner) has some fun videos of him ahnding out some impressive whoopins' in Street Fighter IV.

Lost to the New Day at E3! Xavier Woods and Kenny Omega's ongoing video game feud is one of the best wrestling storylines. It crosses countries and promotions!

https://twitter.com/KiingDeno/status/1007357130041487360

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lurdiak posted:

Pfff, everyone knows the greatest professional wrestler alive is... oh wait, he died. Well, Omega's still not as good as.... oh wait, he died too. Then how about... nope, dead. There's.... hmmm.

Man, no wonder I stopped watching wrestling.

Alive, not racist, or a good wrestler, you can only pick 2.

Except for the Rock obviously.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

purple death ray posted:

I pick Mick Foley.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The Ghost of Macho Man Randy Savage

Checkmate

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Infinitum posted:

The Ghost of Macho Man Randy Savage

Checkmate

The resurrection of André the Giant.

Double Checkmate this is a real move don't look it up.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

purple death ray posted:

That is an incredibly bigoted, american-centric and narrow minded statement

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Yeah, he forgot about Mick Foley, what a jerk.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Also John Cena

Also Dave Bautista

Also etc

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Onmi posted:

That is an incredibly bigoted, american-centric and narrow minded statement

sorry I don't actually give a poo poo about wrestling and was just making an off the cuff jokey remark that was also a parody of the sexist "hot, sane, single" line people say about women

Im vaguely aware of the thriving markets elsewhere in the world particularly Japan but like I said I dont actually give a poo poo about wrestling, so

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Yeah, he forgot about Mick Foley, what a jerk.

this is a fair criticism. I do like that guy.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

They don’t make comics like they used to

Also if memory serves the Dial M for Monkey Dexter's Lab spin-off had a parody of this that pretty much went exactly the same as this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Calaveron posted:

Also if memory serves the Dial M for Monkey Dexter's Lab spin-off had a parody of this that pretty much went exactly the same as this

It was indeed an homage to this (Marvel Two-in-One Annual #7). They even gave Tom Defalco a writing credit for the episode. Rasslor's speech to Monkey as he spares Earth mirrors Champion's exactly.