Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Subjunctive posted:

It is a little weird, but interesting.

How would you build it out?

Most of the stuff the Paladin can do fits well with Barbarian abilities, specially Bleak Walkers. Flames of Devotion/Lay on Hands/The Auras, the usual stuff

Most Paladins like to be in the thick of it and Barbarian is no exception, the Frenzy DoT is less scary when you have a HoT for yourself that's being improved by the extra Might from the Frenzy itself. The extra defenses from the Faith and Conviction are always always useful too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Paladins are the cranberries of PoE multiclassing. Go great with everything, not so great on their own.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Yeah pretty much

I should do something retarded like Paladin/Rogue and see how it goes too

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Paladins are the cranberries of PoE multiclassing. Go great with everything, not so great on their own.
Truth.
I kinda wish Leaden Key Aloth could be a Wizard/Steel Garotte - or whatever the Woedica Paladin is called - multiclass; it's about the only thing that could convince me to select that history for him.

e:

frajaq posted:

Yeah pretty much

I played that in the beta and it was surprisingly strong. Just jumped around the battlefield and killed priority targets without really having to worry about dying. Rogue/Wizard might be better for that, though.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 16, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Wizard Styles posted:

Truth.
I kinda wish Leaden Key Aloth could be a Wizard/Steel Garotte - or whatever the Woedica Paladin is called - multiclass; it's about the only thing that could convince me to select that history for him.

Oh that's a brilliant idea for a mod

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

frajaq posted:

Most of the stuff the Paladin can do fits well with Barbarian abilities, specially Bleak Walkers. Flames of Devotion/Lay on Hands/The Auras, the usual stuff

Most Paladins like to be in the thick of it and Barbarian is no exception, the Frenzy DoT is less scary when you have a HoT for yourself that's being improved by the extra Might from the Frenzy itself. The extra defenses from the Faith and Conviction are always always useful too

Cool. I started a run as Paladin/Ranger, but I feel I’m wasting most of my Paladin-ness, so I was thinking about P/Fighter or B/Barb.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh that's a brilliant idea for a mod
If I figure out how to make companion class options conditional this is what I'm planning for Aloth:
Always available: Wizard
Iselmyr sublimated: Fighter/Wizard
Iselmyr accepted: Barbarian/Wizard
Anti Leaden Key: Rogue/Wizard
Pro Leaden Key: Paladin(Steel Garotte)/Wizard

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

frajaq posted:

Yeah pretty much

Poor guy has never tried the Fyr Pally attack with designated enemy and bonus to sneak attack and poo poo.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

frajaq posted:

Paladin/Barbarian is a loving gross combo but flavor-wise it's a little weird

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I've been doing a bleak walker/barb run and it kicks rear end. Very sad that carnage doesnt proc items anymore however

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

If I want to design a character with the goal of getting as much attack speed as possible, what’s my best bet? I’m thinking Multiclassing barb and fighter for frenzy and all the abilities/Passives that reduce/eliminate recovery is the way to go. Unless monk with swift strikes will give me a bigger boost than one of those classes?

Basically I want to get my Conan on and whip around a giant 2h sword as quickly as possible (I know dual wielding is faster but please don’t judge my aesthetic sensibilities)

Just gonna bump the one time then I'll shut up--and by "attack speed" I include stuff like Riposte or Mob Stance where certain conditions give you a free extra attack.

I basically just want to be smacking stuff with a sword as frequently as possible, without playing Diablo 3 instead.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

Just gonna bump the one time then I'll shut up--and by "attack speed" I include stuff like Riposte or Mob Stance where certain conditions give you a free extra attack.

I basically just want to be smacking stuff with a sword as frequently as possible, without playing Diablo 3 instead.
I want to say its probably a Fighter-Barbarian in Mob Stance using Frenzy. Maybe using Whispers of the Endless Paths depending on how that interacts with Carnage.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Barbarian / Streetfighter would also be an option. -50% recovery time is huge.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Make sure to use two daggers, one of which has to be Pukestabber.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Paladins are great on their own. They are awesome backup healers.. they are kinda frontline healers that kinda out heal my priests/druids because they are kinda about other helpful spells. Lay on hands heals over time and give 5 constitution. The big thing about it is that it only costs one class resource. The other healers can't cast the same healing spell 12 times in a fight(when you get strong gear, you have room for the next ability).

The group buff from flames of devotion is kinda broken. For one class resource you can buff your entire frontline with 15% fire dmg which is basically 5 might which also stacks with any buff that gives 5 might. It's also a full attack and because paladin defenses are so high they never have to use a shield.

You really want to have your paladins for max int for range/buff lengths and maximum power points. Really any melee class except chanter is not gonna come close to rogue damage and the only class that might be as tanky as the paladin is the barb.

Yeah rogues are potent single-classes, just fragile. They're strikers not tanks.

You should totally try out Streetfighter in the Devil of Caroc Breastplate. Rogues are tough cookies in this game.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jun 16, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

adhuin posted:

Where to get these? I need 5!

These hats are actually a completely legit period reference.

quote:

The succeeding plate displays the effigy of Joseph Johnson, a black, who in consequence of his having been employed in the merchant’s service only, is not entitled to the provision of Greenwich. His wounds rendering him incapable of doing further duty on the ocean, and having no claim to relief in any parish, he is obliged to gain a living on shore; and in order to elude the vigilance of the parochial beadles, he first started on Tower-hill, where he amused the idlers by singing George Alexander Stevens’s “Storm.” By degrees he ventured into the public streets, and at length became what is called a “Regular Chaunter.” But novelty, the grand secret of all exhibitions, from the Magic Lantern to the Panorama, induced Black Joe to build a model of the ship Nelson; to which, when placed on his cap, he can, by a bow of thanks, or a supplicating inclination to a drawing room window, give the appearance of sea-motion. Johnson is as frequently to be seen in the rural village as in great cities; and when he takes a journey, the kind-hearted waggoner will often enable him in a few hours to visit the market-places of Staines, Rumford, or St. Albans, where he never fails to gain the farmer’s penny, either by singing “The British Seaman’s Praise,” or Green’s more popular song of “The Wooden Walls of Old England. (Smith 33)

https://www.rc.umd.edu/gallery/joseph-johnson-black-joe-n4-chandos-street-covent-garden

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

Paladins are great on their own. They are awesome backup healers.. they are kinda frontline healers that kinda out heal my priests/druids because they are kinda about other helpful spells. Lay on hands heals over time and give 5 constitution. The big thing about it is that it only costs one class resource. The other healers can't cast the same healing spell 12 times in a fight(when you get strong gear, you have room for the next ability).

The group buff from flames of devotion is kinda broken. For one class resource you can buff your entire frontline with 15% fire dmg which is basically 5 might which also stacks with any buff that gives 5 might. It's also a full attack and because paladin defenses are so high they never have to use a shield.

You really want to have your paladins for max int for range/buff lengths and maximum power points. Really any melee class except chanter is not gonna come close to rogue damage and the only class that might be as tanky as the paladin is the barb.

You should totally try out Streetfighter in the Devil of Caroc Breastplate. Rogues are tough cookies in this game.
Very few of those great things about Paladins are pure Paladin-only. I don't think they benefit much from PL scaling and the high-level Paladin abilities aren't as exciting. You talked a lot about how good their two starting abilities are; which is why multiclass Paladins are so useful. They get most of the advantages of the Paladin, but also of a completely different class as well.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I consider class resources as extremely valuable, you get the most of them from being a pure class and you get the most amount back from empowering a pure class. Sure, I wish their high level abilities were better. There's not alot of classes with actual good high lvl active abilities. Rogue Gambit and Monk Whisper of the Winds are the only two high level melee skills I can think are any good.

Wizard Styles posted:

For about 3 minutes.

This fight is pretty funny with a mage slayer barbarian.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 16, 2018

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I'm trying a barbarian chanter but I'm not sure what to think yet.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

oh yeah since we're talking about class combos help me figure out a really good PotD full custom party build

Main Tank - Paladin(Goldpact Knight)/Fighter(Unbroken) - (Protagonist so he can use talking sword)
Frontline Sturdy DPS - Single-class Monk of some kind since it seems they're busted (maybe Nalzpaca or whatever)
Healer - Druid(Lifegiver) - (maybe Druid(Lifegiver)/some priest?)
CC/Ranged DPS - Single-class Wizard - (maybe Evoker?)
Pure Ranged DPS - Ranger/Rogue (gently caress it, maybe even just use Maia? don't like the squishy bird in PotD though)

any suggestions?
didn't even begin to think about race combinations either

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Rogues are good and with the right build being squishy is kind of a feature. My main PC is a human streetfighter off-handing that griffin blade (modwyr main ofc) and once they get under 50% hp all the buffs fire off from all than and they just start killing everything even harder. Also there is that protective Eothas charm you can get early that gives you 75% damage resistance at near death.

I made a DIY NPC dude who is a Cipher/Shattered Pillar and mostly got every 'punch harder' passive ever and it owns.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Farrier Theaks posted:

So from the sounds of things, if I wanted to do a minimal-kill solo run, a ranger with high stealth and metaphysics would probably be best?

Seer; the cipher half is because you can actually bypass a couple encounters by pacifying the enemy.

Xoti can also end at least one encounter involving ghosts without a single shot fired.

Also at this point I think having a behavior set for soul annihilation specifically is about the only thing I've figured out to ensure what I wanted out of saber/pistol actually happened. And I've got a newfound appreciation for blunderbusses; their modal is still poo poo, but the unique blunderbusses have multiple damage types so I'm at least happy for that; also somehow the game is showering me with blunderbusses while the only unique pistol I've spotted is at the Rauataian gunsmith's shop.

Agnosticnixie fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jun 16, 2018

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

ProfessorCirno posted:

The only class I'd call out and out weak right now is Cipher, and even then, it's less that Cipher is weak and more that Cipher is boring. I will say absolutely that Cipher is not a melee class, and Soul Annihilation has been nerfed enough to no longer be worth it - aka, don't go Soul Blade. Again, Cipher is not a melee class (and it's kinda the only non-melee class).

I’m going to quote something I posted on the official forums specifically about soul blade. I’m not saying cipher is super strong or soul annihilation is amazing, just that the melodrama is unjustified. Cipher is clearly in need of changes and most of its spells need to be stronger. Soul annihilation was quite possibly nerfed a little too much. But I think the math just doesn’t support saying soul annihilation is pointless.

quote:

SA also scales with might and power level (though the damage reported in the tooltip before using the skill, the damage reported in the combat log after using the skill and the damage predicted by the formula never seem to be exactly the same). For most characters soul whip will do a lot more than what you describe.

What's more, the damage of the basic melee swing is also boosted multiplicatively by power level. I tested with a CL 20 single class soulblade with 100 alchemy and potions of ascension and was hitting for over 50 damage on the base hit with a plain rapier. Whether this works out to an advantage over other classes depends on how often you are using their martial abilities, since those also benefit from power level, but this likely benefits a soul blade, and especially a soul blade / shattered pillar more than anyone else.

I'm going to attempt mathematics, which might not work out well for me, but assuming you took draining whip, SA is improving the damage of every other attack by roughly (roughly is an important word, since the numbers between the tooltip, combat log and formula results don't match up):

normal melee damage * power level bonus, probably 1.05 per level past PL 1 = physical damage
10 * (strength bonus + power level bonus) + normal melee damage/4 * (strength bonus + power level bonus) = raw damage

To give a concrete example, for a level 13 transcendent (13 is arbitrarily chosen to represent the "mid game") using lightning strikes with 25 might and using fists, soul whip's damage is multiplied by 1.65 and the base melee attack is multiplied by 1.2. Assuming no other bonuses and you're generating damage through normal attacks, you deal

16.5(average base fist damage)*2(1.2+.35+.45)*1.15(lightning strikes)*1.2(power level) = 45.45 crush
10(base soul annihilation damage)*1.65(1.45+.2) + (9.48 (standard attack damage=37.95 divided by 4) * 1.65) = 32.15 raw

Meaning soul annihilation roughly doubles the damage of every other hit, for about a 50% damage boost overall. It could go much higher with power level boosts and more might, for example if you go for a helwalker. That's still a good boost. It's almost certainly not as good as a streetfighter, but then the issue becomes more about whether cipher in general is ever worth it and whether soul blade is worth taking for a melee cipher. Cipher is a weird class, with brokenly powerful charms and a lot of underwhelming other powers, and soul annihilation feels like it was nerfed a little too hard, but I think the answer to both questions remains yes.

Note that borrowed instinct is also one of the best melee buffs in the game. It gives the highest accuracy buff available outside of ranger passives and alchemy, and a very powerful defense buff that stacks with other deflection buffs and debuffs an opponent. Even if soul blade is weaker than other melee classes, it still has a lot going for it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I’m going to quote something I posted on the official forums specifically about soul blade. I’m not saying cipher is super strong or soul annihilation is amazing, just that the melodrama is unjustified. Cipher is clearly in need of changes and most of its spells need to be stronger. Soul annihilation was quite possibly nerfed a little too much. But I think the math just doesn’t support saying soul annihilation is pointless.

Note that borrowed instinct is also one of the best melee buffs in the game. It gives the highest accuracy buff available outside of ranger passives and alchemy, and a very powerful defense buff that stacks with other deflection buffs and debuffs an opponent. Even if soul blade is weaker than other melee classes, it still has a lot going for it.

Yeah, I excepted Soul Blades from some parts of my above critique because (while I haven't played one) it seemed like on paper the soul annihilation power should still be decent even post-nerf.

Even so, though, that's just two buttons to press instead of one. They still have no mobility, no self-heals, minimal defensive buffs, etc. Ciphers are basically in a place similar to where Chanters were in the first game -- useful, but not especially fun, relatively weak compared to other classes, and in need of a ground-up rebuild. Chanters got that rebuild and they're pretty darn solid now.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 16, 2018

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Are (m)any of the starting weapons and armour actually worthwhile to try to make useable late game, or are you generally better off just holding off until Superbs and Legendaries? I think I wasted a bunch of my pyrite early on.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Chairchucker posted:

Are (m)any of the starting weapons and armour actually worthwhile to try to make useable late game, or are you generally better off just holding off until Superbs and Legendaries? I think I wasted a bunch of my pyrite early on.

You can get more pyrite from the vendor by the cart in serpent's crown.

I think Eder's armor, Xoti's lantern, and possibly Maia's jacket are all worth keeping upgraded depending on what builds you go for and so forth. I always give the Saint's War armor to the primary healer -- in the first game Durance wore it through to endgame.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
The biggest thing that makes cipher spells look worse than they are is that I feel like people look at them both from the lens of the ridiculously OP versions of some of these spells in 1 (like, Amplified Wave was an Iwin button against anything that wasn't immune to crush or cc) and are also mainly focusing on spells that aren't the echo spells.

There's a few duds but on the whole it's imo by far the best designed cipher spells (except for the part that none of them are usable as self-buffs or self heals, sorry that still sucks) with some of the best effects available to the class if you lrn2position. I wish the other two cipher schools were anywhere near as good.

Also ime ciphers that do a lot of fighting sit at the focus cap often enough that it makes me wish the other specs had a spender that wasn't just spells.

Edit re gear: Aloth's anti-leaden key scepter is nice but not so nice that something like one of the other uniques can't replace it. The Saints' War Armor is probably even more amazing than it was in 1 due to the removal of endurance, and I kinda like the upgrades to Pallegina's and Maia's gear. I don't think there's gear that's so overpowering in general that I'd replace companion uniques just for the sake of stats though (I'm actually using the mod that makes Xoti and Serafen's armor uniques for the sake of aesthetics). Also weapons wise, Serafen and Maia get some of the few unique firearms in the game so it's inherently worth keeping that.

Agnosticnixie fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 16, 2018

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I think Eder's armor, Xoti's lantern, and possibly Maia's jacket are all worth keeping upgraded depending on what builds you go for and so forth. I always give the Saint's War armor to the primary healer -- in the first game Durance wore it through to endgame.

Aloth’s armor is also pretty amazing when upgraded.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Does the accuracy buff also stack with other accuracy buffs?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Oh yeah, right, I can buy things. I sometimes forget about this because I'm saving all my money for upgrading things and buying the Devil of Caroc's corpse.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Octo1 posted:

Does the accuracy buff also stack with other accuracy buffs?

It seems to overwrite needle sting and dueling stance so I think it does not.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Adam Brennecke at E3 talking about upcoming patches and DLC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9eR0nZCTuo&t=323s

New game challenge modes, next DLC has additional ship upgrades and crew members, some Beast of Winter hints.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Agnosticnixie posted:

The biggest thing that makes cipher spells look worse than they are is that I feel like people look at them both from the lens of the ridiculously OP versions of some of these spells in 1 (like, Amplified Wave was an Iwin button against anything that wasn't immune to crush or cc) and are also mainly focusing on spells that aren't the echo spells.

There's a few duds but on the whole it's imo by far the best designed cipher spells (except for the part that none of them are usable as self-buffs or self heals, sorry that still sucks) with some of the best effects available to the class if you lrn2position. I wish the other two cipher schools were anywhere near as good.

Also ime ciphers that do a lot of fighting sit at the focus cap often enough that it makes me wish the other specs had a spender that wasn't just spells.

Yeah, because Ciphers can't really experiment with different powers without a complete respec people tend to ignore some good powers. Ectopsychic Echo is great just as it was before (technically it's slightly worse than Ninagauth's Death Ray, but it's still perfectly useable). Antipathetic beam is still the same but it really needs a later-level upgrade that includes the target and is foe-only. The Echo spells are mostly as good as they were in the first game, they managed to dodge the nerf bat that hit things like mental binding etc.

Cipher powers were blotto stupid good early on but most of them got tweaked down to reasonable levels by the time white march etc came out. There were a few powers that were consistently overpowered, but most of them were endgame victory-lap stuff like Defensive Mindweb.

But yeah, some individual powers are still solid. It's just the overall roster that's lackluster (especially from tier 7 on up). The tier 1-6 powers that 1) were good in the first game, and 2) survived through to Deadfire without getting nerfed, are still decent. The problem is a lot of the roster was never good even in the first game (wild leech), much of the rest has been nerfed ( mental binding), and not much new has been added to make up the difference.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 16, 2018

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
I just realized the Dhow is actually faster in combat than the Sloop while I was loving around to decide what I wanted to use more of the two ships. It really is this game's version of the Pirates! brigantine class ships.

Also I almost wish there was a cargo hold stat (hypothetically I figure the Sloop would have a base hold that's almost as big as a Galleon while the Dhow and the Voyager would be on the low end), but I figure it's probably too much granularity for the intended game and would break the stash system too much.

EDIT: Also kinda wish elven clipper was an option even if the dialogue about it makes me feel it's probably just a super fast sloop. If only for some Aedyran rep in the lineup.

Agnosticnixie fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jun 16, 2018

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Agnosticnixie posted:

It seems to overwrite needle sting and dueling stance so I think it does not.

Modals always stack with active abilities.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Octo1 posted:

Modals always stack with active abilities.

No, it’s the opposite. Morals are considered actives and don’t stack. I think this is a little bullshit for weapon modals, since some of them give you powerful effects that can’t be duplicated by skills but most of them are redundant with many builds.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Well, I kinda can't motivate myself to play for more than 20 minutes anymore because the game ended up being too easy again. I also just learned that a fight that iirc triggered pretty much immediately when I entered Motare O Kozi 20 hours ago locked me out of siding with the Druids on Sayuka. Cool. Good.
So I guess that's it for that playthrough. I made it to level 17, which should be enough to judge 1.1 PotD especially since I'm past most of the challenging parts.

Despite ending up too easy anyway I think the new PotD did fix the issues with the enemies themselves being pushovers. I'd say it actually went too far in places because, since nearly everything requires to hit (and weapons need to penetrate) a lot of the difficulty in PoE comes down to a simple numbers game. And the numbers are often stacked against the party to an extent that is simply annoying now because fights take very long. This could probably be solved by giving more abilities Accuracy bonuses or making them hit automatically and removing the Armor bonus from PotD, though. But in general, I think the enemy compositions are challenging now with the caveat that the full level scaling mod is almost mandatory.

One of the main things making the game too easy is a combination of overpowered per rest resources and skill-dependant consumables on the one hand and the rest system simply not working on the other.
A lot has been said about bombs and drugs; they are simply overpowered. But scrolls overtake their regular spell counterparts quite early as well. With high enough Arcana you can get a Gaze of the Adragan with 15 seconds duration. Summoning items are at least as problematic as skill-dependant consumables. They should not be in the game in general in my opinion, but if they have to be there I'm pretty sure it's not super great for balance that I can buy them for 1,500 or something like that and summon monsters that are 5 levels above my party. Especially since the summoning items aren't balanced against summoning abilities. Outside of the Dragon Pendant, they all summon instantly so you can easily trigger a fight with a spell alpha strike and immediately let the 4 party members that didn't reveal themselves summon a horde of monsters at almost no time cost. I think most summoning items should cost at least 10k or more, or be moved from shops to high level areas. And they definitely should have a casting time in line with summoning abilities.
There are also items that give overpowered per rest abilities. The Cloak of Seven Bolts gives you a spell that is more or less in line with the highest level Druid and Wizard spells. The Whitewitch Mask lets you cast Enervating Terror once per rest. Enervating Terror badly needs to get nerfed but even if it's brought in line with other PL5 spells it's still PL5. And you can buy the mask when your party is still at PL3.
To be honest I just don't understand how this happened because making every class ability per encounter was a big mechanical change that was talked about a lot during development but it doesn't seem like it informed item design in any way at all. There shouldn't be any per rest resources.
Especially since the rest system doesn't work. You need food and drink in large quantities for your crew so both are plentiful and there's enough alcohol and Mariner's Porridge to get decent bonuses for every remotely tough fight even early on. And if you want to you can blow all your per rest resources in one fight and then rest using lower quality food immediately. The best food bonuses are annoying to lose, maybe, but the best food isn't worth buying for a long time and as good as the bonuses can be they're not equivalent to replenishing all your per rest resources.

The second big issue is enemy AI. I don't know if it's realistic to expect a patch here or if somebody needs to make a Deadfire Stratagems mod but it's a problem.

Third major problem is just that the player ends up with too many options at their disposal later on. Wizards, for example, start out pretty lovely but end up with enough spells to effortlessly solo many encounters. My Watcher went from a guy that throws bombs and maybe casts a spell that invariably misses to golden god of murderhoboing over the course of the game.

e: Also, it's too easy to get Exceptional or even Superb gear early on, especially from ship combat. This mainly makes the early game easier, which is still challenging regardless, so it's not as big a problem as some other things. But it does allow you to buy a lot of the underpriced/overpowered gear (Whitewitch Mask, Obsidian Lamp etc.) very early on. Ideally the game would have done away with the item quality treadmill altogether since it's not like it's any fun and high quality gear from Kith fights breaking the economy is an issue that was around in PoE1 as well but that ship has sailed now of course.

Tenzarin posted:

This fight is pretty funny with a mage slayer barbarian.
I'll make sure to bring one next time, that was possibly the most annoying fight in the game so I'll happily hire a mercenary for some cathartic murder.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jun 16, 2018

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

On veteran, I found things sufficiently challenging (only use auto-attack AI and no consumables) until about level 12, after that side content became a breeze though the critical path still held up - so yea turn on full scaling please, no reason for it to have a limit.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I've just played on Veteran and I think this should be the "Normal" difficulty to recommend. The same way I'd go for Blood and Broken Bones in W3, simply to stave off the common open-world RPG problem of getting to easy too soon.

Are they going to patch Enchanting? Because the system as is feels half-baked and unfinished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

They just mentioned improving the UI so you can see which enchants are exclusive.