Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I keep having to explain that poo poo to my mother. She has a book called "The 4-Hour Chef" with a dumbfuck chart in it that show that well, there's your in-charge-of-the-kitchen/fine dining chef, and then there's your Line cook chef, and then your fast food worker level chef, and at-home chefs! It's the dumbest possible thing and since she's a boomer who's made up her mind, no amount of reasoned and measured explanation will convince her otherwise. I certainly tried (you don't call everyone in the military Captain, do you?). So she bought my brother and I copies of the book for Christmas. I have refused to read it on principle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
For your amusement, from the woke brands thread. There's a chain of tweets that follows in which he agonizingly tries to draw out a conclusion from this.

https://twitter.com/ezraklein/status/1006232546701557760

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PT6A posted:

It's technically correct, though -- the best kind of correct. Keep fighting the good fight.

Like I said, I'm a pedant. So technicalities are my forte.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I keep having to explain that poo poo to my mother. She has a book called "The 4-Hour Chef" with a dumbfuck chart in it that show that well, there's your in-charge-of-the-kitchen/fine dining chef, and then there's your Line cook chef, and then your fast food worker level chef, and at-home chefs! It's the dumbest possible thing and since she's a boomer who's made up her mind, no amount of reasoned and measured explanation will convince her otherwise. I certainly tried (you don't call everyone in the military Captain, do you?). So she bought my brother and I copies of the book for Christmas. I have refused to read it on principle.

I have it. It's pretty good at building up confidence and practical skills for people with none.

But yeah, I've always tried to call myself a cook. When I worked in a kitchen, I was preparing the same two-item fixed menu every week. I did the food orders, preped, cooked, 'served', and helped clean. I still only considered myself a cook, never a chef. Because nobody was under me except FoH and I didn't control the menu.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

At best I considered myself a kitchen manager. We were flipping slightly-above-fast-food sandwiches. It was definitely not a brigade kitchen.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

Discendo Vox posted:

For your amusement, from the woke brands thread. There's a chain of tweets that follows in which he agonizingly tries to draw out a conclusion from this.

https://twitter.com/ezraklein/status/1006232546701557760

Totally OT, do you have a link to this thread?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Skutter posted:

Totally OT, do you have a link to this thread?
here you go

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I feel like there's a reasonable middle ground between "CAFOs and the median American diet are Good, actually" and "Carnism is an invisible holocaust done every day" that will never ever be reached because Online is a disease and everyone is just performing characters at each other like goddamned psychopaths.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Chef literally means "leader", so if someone asks you "are you a leader?" and you say "yes, I make french fries." then you sound like a jackass. We had a big thing over this in my sushi career. No dude, you roll sushi, you aren't leading jack poo poo.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
When someone says "Chef, one minute of your time please." And myself, my boss, and the other sous all turn around and say "Yes?" I chuckle a little bit every time.

Personally, I'm all about the respect and compartmentalization of the brigade system, but my name is Tommy, not Chef. My team can refer to me as Tommy, or Chef Tommy if they insist.

Now if FoH could get their poo poo together and actually have rooms set 30mins before an event, actually pay attention in BEO, and loving train their staff to follow proper procedure for dietary requests, koshers, allergy plates, etc. they might get to address me more casually. But until that actually happens, my name is Chef.

Apologies for the ranting, but 3 months into opening my guys know the menus, allergy info, etc. and get it in boxes 30min before event start. They grab their garnish trays, go to the room to garnish, and end up having to help finish setting up rooms so food goes out on time. Because no matter who's fault it is, if the rooms isn't perfect, we all fail.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
That sounds reasonable to me.

My worst pedantry wrt titles, that people take seriously, is when I tell people not to call me sir if I'm working the line. Homie I'm older than you, I might know some poo poo, but we're peers in the trenches. If I'm KM or something, I grin and bear it. I'm pretty serious about people staying in their lane, and playing the correct role I'm paid for.

Eliminating as much shop talk as possible helps this tremendously, and personally, keeps me a human and not a machine or mutant.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Oh taking shots at front of house?!?!

Ok! Ok!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I wish my kitchen was better so I wouldn't have to take the attempted rapists side in FOH/BOH battles.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Babylon Astronaut posted:

My worst pedantry wrt titles, that people take seriously, is when I tell people not to call me sir if I'm working the line.

Try being a 44 year old woman, even outside the kitchen. "Miss" sounds dismissive, but "Ma'am" makes me feel old (Which I am, but still...). I can't win either way. I long for a Battlestar Galactica future where everyone regardless of age, rank, or gender is called "sir".

Could be worse, though, my supervisor (and half the staff) at the DFAC called me "Mrs. [derivative of my full name]" even though I'm not married and hate that particular variation on name. Like, say my name was Jennifer and I liked to go by Jen, she would call me "Mrs. Jenny" no matter how many times I corrected her. God I hated that. My name is one whopping syllable, it's not that loving hard.

Thinking back on it, that's one reason I love my current KM. After working there a couple weeks, she saw how I spell my name when it was written on a to-go box.
"Is that how you spell your name?" she roared [she's really only capable of roaring, even on a good day]"
"Yeah?"
"Well gently caress, why haven't you said anything?"
"I was just happy anyone here KNEW what my name was and said it right."
And from then on the schedule has had my name spelled right. It's the little things in life. :kimchi:

Fake edit: also, we've had zero FOH/BOH fights at my place. There's one guy who keeps ringing in tickets for things we don't serve on Sunday brunch, but that's his problem to deal with customers when we correct him and about all the tension that happens on that front. We're generally one big happy family.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
The best way I've found to avoid FOH/BOH drama is to crosstrain everyone a little bit, that way everybody knows what the other side of the window is dealing with.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The place I'm at is good and family, but man if tension in the air is not high.

Basically GM, lets the female waiters / drivers do whatever they want but will go ape poo poo if a male employee does something wrong.

He's from New York. So it's probably a New York Thing, who knows.

But like last week; the assistant GM took off like 5 days and is now pissed she didn't get her salary check. Well lady, you just don't take off for 5 days and be like pay me.

She gets Time Off Pay, but she didn't request this or ask for the time off. Soooo uhhh I dunno lol.

I'm so glad they have never asked me to manage cause that would be a big gently caress no.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Coasterphreak posted:

The best way I've found to avoid FOH/BOH drama is to crosstrain everyone a little bit, that way everybody knows what the other side of the window is dealing with.

We did this some today, with one of the servers making some staff meals. She managed to light the bacon for a burger on fire, and was legit scared of the flames from igniting fat from the burgers coming off the grill. We also threw one of the cooks in the dish pit while I was doing deserts, which was loving hilarious for me.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

FOH people that don't appreciate/respect BOH folks are assholes. When I was managing, that would make me find a reason to let someone go.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I just always fess up immediately if something is wrong with an order because I put it in wrong and then if there's not someone on expo hold the kitchen to their gently caress ups immediately but without being harsh.

If someone is on expo I make it their problem.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

MohawkSatan posted:

We also threw one of the cooks in the dish pit while I was doing deserts, which was loving hilarious for me.

Call it dish or porter station. Nobody wants to work in a pit.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

A Man and his dog posted:

The place I'm at is good and family, but man if tension in the air is not high.

Basically GM, lets the female waiters / drivers do whatever they want but will go ape poo poo if a male employee does something wrong.

He's from New York. So it's probably a New York Thing, who knows.

But like last week; the assistant GM took off like 5 days and is now pissed she didn't get her salary check. Well lady, you just don't take off for 5 days and be like pay me.

She gets Time Off Pay, but she didn't request this or ask for the time off. Soooo uhhh I dunno lol.

I'm so glad they have never asked me to manage cause that would be a big gently caress no.

Umm, that's how salary works, duder. Unless she's got something specifically in her contract regarding minimum hours worked per week, then yeah, pay her.

Fire her for violating PTO policy right after, but you don't get to just not pay someone on salary unless their contract says you can, and in most states that's not a provision you can write in. That's the risk employers take in putting someone on salary so they can abuse unpaid overtime.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I didn’t comment last week on the Bourdain thing cause it took me a few days to process things and figure out where I stood. I think in a lot of ways it highlights the loneliness of cheffing as a career. Sure the people you work with become family but when you finish service and head back home it’s just you and your thoughts and beer so you can wind down the brain enough to sleep and do it all again tomorrow. It’s been 5 years since I was fulltime in a kitchen but I’d hate to see where I’d be today if I continued down the same path. Being in Australia means the pay isn’t too bad being a chef but with salary being a thing you’ll generally end up being paid $10 an hour even as a sous chef cause the 90k salary comes with a 90 hour week which everyone outside the industry thinks is absurd.

In being called chef speak I only ever called one guy chef and he was the teacher who gave me my chef certificate. Everyone else was first name basis my entire career but I knew I had the chef onside when he started referring to me as chef cause he didn’t give that title to any of the other halfwits I was trapped in a kitchen with weekly.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Liquid Communism posted:

Umm, that's how salary works, duder. Unless she's got something specifically in her contract regarding minimum hours worked per week, then yeah, pay her.

Fire her for violating PTO policy right after, but you don't get to just not pay someone on salary unless their contract says you can, and in most states that's not a provision you can write in. That's the risk employers take in putting someone on salary so they can abuse unpaid overtime.

Yeah I'm not sure how they worked it all out. There's def not a contract. All I know is she is pissed! And yeah, she probably should be.

I see her point. She had to get like a tooth pulled, wasn't like she was on vacation.

Well I'm going in at 10 and this should be fun. .

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Plus "dish station" is pretty straightforward, whereas I misread "dishpit" all the loving time.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Actually it sounds badass to “work the pit”

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Try being a 44 year old woman, even outside the kitchen. "Miss" sounds dismissive, but "Ma'am" makes me feel old (Which I am, but still...). I can't win either way. I long for a Battlestar Galactica future where everyone regardless of age, rank, or gender is called "sir".

Could be worse, though, my supervisor (and half the staff) at the DFAC called me "Mrs. [derivative of my full name]" even though I'm not married and hate that particular variation on name. Like, say my name was Jennifer and I liked to go by Jen, she would call me "Mrs. Jenny" no matter how many times I corrected her. God I hated that. My name is one whopping syllable, it's not that loving hard.

Thinking back on it, that's one reason I love my current KM. After working there a couple weeks, she saw how I spell my name when it was written on a to-go box.
"Is that how you spell your name?" she roared [she's really only capable of roaring, even on a good day]"
"Yeah?"
"Well gently caress, why haven't you said anything?"
"I was just happy anyone here KNEW what my name was and said it right."
And from then on the schedule has had my name spelled right. It's the little things in life. :kimchi:

Fake edit: also, we've had zero FOH/BOH fights at my place. There's one guy who keeps ringing in tickets for things we don't serve on Sunday brunch, but that's his problem to deal with customers when we correct him and about all the tension that happens on that front. We're generally one big happy family.

I took over as chef after being sous for a year, and used the same schedule template as the previous chef. One of the cooks filed a complaint against me (for racism) because her name was spelled wrong on the schedule.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Eh, pit makes sense. Nobody wants to work in the pit unless they're a loving nut like me. It's dirty, surprisingly hard work, and legitimately reminds me of working in mining pits. Plus I'm not a porter and my station is less just doing dish, and more doing whatever is needed at the time.

The Maestro posted:

Also this. Plus if someone's needs to chill and do something where no thought is required, telling them to get in the pit for a while seems to help, if only because they want the gently caress out.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Am I the only person that calls it a dish tank?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Field Mousepad posted:

Am I the only person that calls it a dish tank?

yes

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Pit Lord.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Yeah I'm not sure how they worked it all out. There's def not a contract.

i'm sure this isn't what amahd meant to imply, but it would really fit that he works at a spot where no one actually was given employment contracts

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

The Maestro posted:

Yeah, I never minded "working the pit". Makes me think of being on a pit crew. Sure, the driver and the car they're repping get all the fame and glory, but they're absolutely hosed without a good pit crew --- just like how good dish folk are critical to a store running smoothly. :iiaca:

Helluva lot better than what they call the fry station at our sister store : the hole. They could at least call it the hellhole, because it's in an extremely cramped corner with no air circulation. There's not even room to back up away from the fryer. I hear it gets up to around 120 degrees in high summer.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Surely you're not saying they should shut their fryhole.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Yeah, I never minded "working the pit". Makes me think of being on a pit crew. Sure, the driver and the car they're repping get all the fame and glory, but they're absolutely hosed without a good pit crew --- just like how good dish folk are critical to a store running smoothly. :iiaca:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD6dRXIvEU0&hd=1

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
We finally got a decent dish guy and thank GOD!

He knows it too. Cause he will just not show up some days and we're at the point where we don't even loving care cause it's still a body back there most nights.

For some reason my owner does not understand that for the amount of work they do minimum wage is not gonna cut it. It's absurd.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

For some reason my owner does not understand that for the amount of work they do minimum wage is not gonna cut it. It's absurd.

This is a common plague.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich

iospace posted:

This is a common plague.

I know. It just blows my mind. Like is increasing a good workers salary from $8.25 to like uhh I dunno $12 an hour going to loving break you.

And I work at a pizza shop so come on boss man.

And its not even dishwasher. Same with, salad person, phone person....

We go through these people left and right and they ask why we can't find workers. BECAUSE YOU AREN'T loving PAYING THEM.

The drat phone person doesn't even get a part of the takeout tips!

It's just stupid.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I think you have to be crazy to work anywhere in a kitchen outside of the dishpit. I understand you'll never make more than minimum wage back there, but you know what. It's simple. Can't burn anything, don't have to worry about if there's 20 chits on the board, or that some ingredient is running low. Just need to know how many of each dish can pile up before it's a problem.

What I don't understand is why the industry standard dishwasher doesn't was the dishes. Just throws them through the sanitizer and hopes they'll come out clean. I can't count the number of times I've pulled a "clean" pot off the shelf only to find a disgusting ring of soup scum from the day before on the inside of the pot.

Once my boss asked me what I thought of the new dishwasher, and I said "Find somebody else." when he asked why, I showed him a 6 plates with various food bits stuck to them in the recently cleaned area. He just shrugged his shoulders and wandered away.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Man, when the dishes start flowing it loving breaks people.

Like, it already sucks you in the pit. Then you get lovely pay. It really is a giant cog in the machine.

Not to mention you hope you don't get a chemical or bleach burn. And also everyone in the joint looks down on you for some stupid superficial reason..

I would straight up tell a chef to go gently caress himself if I was a dishwasher and given poo poo getting paid minimum wage....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004
Hey guys! Who's running racks tonight?