Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
I got taken to a beer drinking lunch, we broke out the liquor when we got back to the office, and then went to a retirement party and drank more. Happy Friday indeed :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Best metric is change success. But it requires that you track change requests separately from tickets.

If the changes being proposed have a high success rate, your people know what they're doing and are effectively managing the system. If no changes are needed, the metric doesn't go down.

Also tracking emergency changes against standard changes is great to understand the 'hair on fire' status of the department. But again, that requires actual change review processes that small businesses (especially msps lol) won't have.

I really wish we did a lessons learned meeting with our teams; though I'd probably get myself fired for laughing uncontrollably if people said they actually learned from their mistakes, or fired for saying I learned everyone is stupid.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

My company just started (accelerated?) a death spiral. New CEO, new board, large loss posted semi-recently.

At the end of last month we ended up cutting all of CS and Accounting at my satellite office. They transferred out the managers who were willing to relocate to corporate and laid off the ones who didn't. We started a new project but were a bit shorthanded, so I was out in the warehouse on heavy equipment violating all sorts of OSHA standards to help with the cabling. Last week they cut the entire TS team ~15 people, 85~ warehouse workers, and a Sales VP told our local Help Desk (five people) that they're doing TS now. Help Desk doesn't know what the gently caress. I spoke with the HD supervisor to try to find out what was going on and she had no idea either; the director hasn't said a word to anyone.

Help Desk is panicking when they get calls from our contractors who manage field technicians for product support, so of course they have no idea about part numbers or anything else TS used to do. On top of that, they laid off our senior maintenance coordinator on Monday, after terminating his entire repair team over the last two months. He was three months from retiring and now we don't have anyone to repair the electronics and printers in the warehouse and shipping departments. They "shuffled" departments and eliminated his position and he didn't get a severance package. Specious decision, I've heard that he is considering a lawsuit. Safe bet IT will be asked to cover his job as well.

I also just found out how the network administrator and I are going to be cut this afternoon. We received a mail from the senior IT manager at corporate telling us that we've been doing our deploys and projects wrong since March and that he's been covering for us and he's tired of it. We consolidated a reply showing the steps we took for the processes (mm, delicious documentation) and asked for clarification. He replied simply with, "From now on I will be forwarding all future incidents to the IT Director. I tried going to you two directly. Have a nice day.".

From the outside this is probably hilarious, but living it is a bleak hellscape of despair. :suicide:

I'm going to get properly smashed tonight. On the bright side, I have a phone screen with Google on Monday. :ohdear:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'll pour one out for you tonight buddy. That sounds amazingly lovely.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Drink until you get a severance package.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Heartcatch posted:

From the outside this is probably hilarious, but living it is a bleak hellscape of despair. :suicide:

I'm going to get properly smashed tonight. On the bright side, I have a phone screen with Google on Monday. :ohdear:

:sever: and :yotj:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Senior IT Manager,

Please find attached relevant documentation for all deploys and projects, as we've previously discussed. It appears that this documentation got lost in the shuffle, based on your email of the 15th instant. I'm including below some links to organizational tools which I have found particularly helpful over the years. Adoption of these tools will help avoid future misunderstandings.

All the best,
Heartcatch

A couple of notes here. 1) Calling dates 'instant' needs to be brought back and someone has to be first so it might as well be me, and 2) I never was good at being assigned blame and letting it slide...

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Senior IT Manager,

Please find attached relevant documentation for all deploys and projects, as we've previously discussed. It appears that this documentation got lost in the shuffle, based on your email of the 15th instant. I'm including below some links to organizational tools which I have found particularly helpful over the years. Adoption of these tools will help avoid future misunderstandings.

All the best,
Heartcatch

A couple of notes here. 1) Calling dates 'instant' needs to be brought back and someone has to be first so it might as well be me, and 2) I never was good at being assigned blame and letting it slide...

What the hell does "15th instant" mean??

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Are you not a 19th century orator as I am?

You have to go all the way to definition 11 of instant to pull this one out.

Older Use. of the present month:
your letter of the 12th instant.
Abbreviation: inst.Compare proximo, ultimo.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I once sent my quitting letter as “so long and thanks for all the fish”

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Are you not a 19th century orator as I am?

You have to go all the way to definition 11 of instant to pull this one out.

Older Use. of the present month:
your letter of the 12th instant.
Abbreviation: inst.Compare proximo, ultimo.

Go to bed dad, you're drunk.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Better things will come out of this. In the end they always do.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Senior IT Manager,

All the best,
Heartcatch

I'm all for bringing back 19th century (or even 18th century) style writing (obviously), but if you're going to do that, you have to do it correctly:

Dear Senior IT Manager,

It pleases me to attach with this Letter the relevant Documentation pertaining to the Deployments and Projects during my tenure here, as you have requested. It would seem the previous Copies were somehow displaced based upon your earlier Missive of 15th Instant. I have also included my brief Notes with regards to organizational Tools which I have found useful for similar Tasks over the Years. Perhaps adopting these Tools will, in the future, allow us to avoid such Misunderstandings.

I remain, as always, your humble & obed't Servant, &c.

Heartcatch

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Colonial Air Force posted:

I'm all for bringing back 19th century (or even 18th century) style writing (obviously), but if you're going to do that, you have to do it correctly:

Dear Senior IT Manager,

It pleases me to attach with this Letter the relevant Documentation pertaining to the Deployments and Projects during my tenure here, as you have requested. It would seem the previous Copies were somehow displaced based upon your earlier Missive of 15th Instant. I have also included my brief Notes with regards to organizational Tools which I have found useful for similar Tasks over the Years. Perhaps adopting these Tools will, in the future, allow us to avoid such Misunderstandings.

I remain, as always, your humble & obed't Servant, &c.

Heartcatch

Post/name combo owns.

Also I use phrases like "22nd inst." in regular communication with one of my lit major friends. It owns.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Still a little tipsy from last night, but haha.. Thanks everyone for cheering me up.

I'm going to file my resignation Tuesday morning and use up all my vacation and sick days the week after so that I can lie around playing video games out of spite. Though I should probably study for my next cert instead of doing that.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Heartcatch posted:

Still a little tipsy from last night, but haha.. Thanks everyone for cheering me up.

I'm going to file my resignation Tuesday morning and use up all my vacation and sick days the week after so that I can lie around playing video games out of spite. Though I should probably study for my next cert instead of doing that.

Woah there don't quit! Have them can you and try for unemployment.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah, I guess that might be better.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Heartcatch posted:

Yeah, I guess that might be better.

Also putting in your resignation then trying to use vacation is completely backwards. They would simply fire you. Do it the other way around

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

George H.W. oval office posted:

Also putting in your resignation then trying to use vacation is completely backwards. They would simply fire you. Do it the other way around

Yeah this. Use all your vacation. Stop giving a poo poo. Get fired and gifted severance plus unemployment.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Thanks for the loads of advice. I have zero experience with quitting horrible situations before this. I have left on good terms with all previous employers so this is definitely a new experience.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Never quit, if you cannot be hosed to go in then burn through your PTO and sick leave and then phone it in until you have something else lined up.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

Never quit, if you cannot be hosed to go in then burn through your PTO and sick leave and then phone it in until you have something else lined up.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Heartcatch posted:

Thanks for the loads of advice. I have zero experience with quitting horrible situations before this. I have left on good terms with all previous employers so this is definitely a new experience.

Ever see the movie office space?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I've never felt more productive than at my current job. And the key difference is I find my current workload difficult as hell.

I'm finally over the imposter syndrome after producing some good results and kicking a few ideas to my boss that she liked, but my ideas involve a lot of complexity that I am now responsible for building.

It's very refreshing to be in an environment with a loose enough leash to run with my ideas, but a short enough leash that I'm kept on track with responsibilities and deadlines. I don't think I've ever felt better to be in IT

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Judge Schnoopy posted:

producing some good results and kicking a few ideas to my boss that she liked, but my ideas involve a lot of complexity that I am now responsible for building.

Same but I still feel like an imposter.

Guy I’m replacing is saying he’s incredibly happy I’m there on a daily basis and apparently he’s really uptight about everything. All coworkers say they’re happy that I joined the team and managed to contribute on day 1 as opposed to needing weeks/months to get up and running. Hell, I even had the manager 3 steps above me suddenly drop by my desk saying he’s hearing great things about the work I do and is renewing my contract even though the projects I’m working on next are being delayed.

Still I feel I should be thanking baby jesus on my bare knees for getting this job because 80% of the stuff I’m touching I’ve never seen or worked with before (but is exactly what I was looking for). Granted, I’m pretty ok at the other 20% of the job.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I've never felt more productive than at my current job. And the key difference is I find my current workload difficult as hell.

I'm finally over the imposter syndrome after producing some good results and kicking a few ideas to my boss that she liked, but my ideas involve a lot of complexity that I am now responsible for building.

It's very refreshing to be in an environment with a loose enough leash to run with my ideas, but a short enough leash that I'm kept on track with responsibilities and deadlines. I don't think I've ever felt better to be in IT

Madison, right? We should grab a beer or hit one of the whiskey distilleries in town sometime.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Heartcatch posted:

My company just started (accelerated?) a death spiral.

Holy gently caress. Good luck at Google!

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Couple pages late but re: RAID chat, a few months ago I found an old physical file server that wasn't being backed up or monitored in any way. Well, I didn't find anything-- the few professors with hundreds of gigs of data found their files to be missing after a RAID0 failed. It was expensive, but I gotta give props to DriveSavers for being able to rebuild the array and get my data back. Three of the 6 disks had to be clean-room handled, turns out that server was a ticking time bomb planted in 2006!

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

jaegerx posted:

I once sent my quitting letter as “so long and thanks for all the fish”

I did that in an all.department email once.

Even more hilarious when 3-4 years later I came back to work at an org that supported this department and I was working on a PC. The user had my “so long...” email still unread in his inbox near the top. He’d only received a half a dozen emails in four years.

It was a different time.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Agrikk posted:

He’d only received a half a dozen emails in four years.

It was a different time.

I just had the weirdest combination of dread and relief. I can't imagine a world without 100s of emails a day but man would like to live there.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Coredump posted:

LOLOLOL OUR SERVER ROOM AC WENT OUT. AND WE FOUND OUT THERE'S A ROOF LEAK OVER OUR DATAROOM UPS. ITS LITERALLY DRIPPING WATER ONTO THE CABINET SIZED UPS. LOLOL

Went through failing server room AC 2 weeks ago. Still running but...poorly. Thankfully it ~only~ took a week for a new unit to get to site/installed (I'm in a ~remote location~ that's not loving remote at all).
Nothing died in the interim at least, and this gets us the budget (finally) for a backup unit (lots of poo poo weird at this place)

loving worst week.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

About 5 years ago, a water line burst directly over the server rack at my job and fried like 3 servers. Plumbers were trying to fix a bad pipe and didn't shut the water off.

Of course, this occurred on a Friday.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We had a conduit that ran under the pond/fountain between our two buildings...one day poo poo started loving up.

Basement had a ton of water in it, the pipe had somehow filled with water, some of the wiring got hosed up. Luckily we only lost bankers boxes of documents since both telecom rooms were on the second floor and not in the basement.

5 tubes of silicone later, the leak was fixed :)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't think anybody can top the story of sawing through the basement water main twice

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
i have not experienced a water leak in a server room so far and i hope it wont happen in the future. But there was one time the pipe above my desk was leaking a drop of water every 30 seconds or so.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Thanks Ants posted:

I don't think anybody can top the story of sawing through the basement water main twice
what about the guy who had to clean his coworker's blood out of all the computers after he committed suicide in the server room

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Vulture Culture posted:

what about the guy who had to clean his coworker's blood out of all the computers after he committed suicide in the server room

..... well whats the best method for making sure blood doesnt gently caress your rack?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Live ordnance in the server room.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
SSDs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I had a server room AC unit die once. Some months later the local server was rebooted and didn't come back up. Turns out the ILO card melted. Cue my sorry rear end having to go back in at 9pm and wait for the Dell tech to bring a new card out. At 7:30am I was able to send an "all clear !" and also "I've put in a full day and am going the gently caress home" email.

Goddamnit. 12 years later I realize I didn't put 9-midnight on my time sheet and am owed 3 hours OT.