Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

the other big problem with FIPS 140-2 (besides it being bad) is that vendors need to pay an exorbitant amount bribe to fast track through certification and become nearly impossible to compete with in fed/DoD rfps

openssl with heartbleed, ocsp vulns, etc was "fips 140-2 certified"

it still is :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

this just put the biggest smile on my face and it doesn't seem to be going away help

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

virtual public network

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

this just put the biggest smile on my face and it doesn't seem to be going away help

if this condition lasts more than four hours, consult a doctor.

i'll be right there with you.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Cocoa Crispies posted:

hosed up but true: I know all those acronyms :cripes:

it’s been several days after this reply and I was sitting at a bar and realized all the acronyms I know are ridiculous.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Plorkyeran posted:

virtual public network

timick
Apr 7, 2016

https://www.nccgroup.trust/us/our-research/technical-advisory-return-of-the-hidden-number-problem/

Side channel attack against ECDSA and DSA in opessl and other libs.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Using side channels to own the crypto libs.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

lol who the hell is using DSA

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Plorkyeran posted:

virtual public network

i am going to use this when people ask me about which vpn service to use

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Lain Iwakura posted:

i am going to use this when people ask me about which vpn service to use

Here U Go

https://www.zerotier.com

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

mrmcd posted:

:eyepop:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/TinkerSec/status/1007605774422544389

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

mrmcd posted:

lol

quote:

Side-channel attacks are explicitly excluded from Cryptlib's threat model.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
physical secfuck

https://twitter.com/lockpickinglwyr/status/1007613178249965569

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Are spammers able to spoof US short code numbers to send SMS? I just got a text from number "43386" that I suspect is spam. I very very rarely ever do promotional SMS stuff, so I doubt it's that. And anyway, the particulars smell funny to me.

I tried finding who owns the number and I couldn't find that number with a few minutes of casual searching. Nothing turned up in Google search results, and a couple of random "short code directory" sites didn't turn anything up either. These sites differed on whether this number was even registered or not.

The text of the message is suspicious to me, too. It presents itself as a promo/coupon for a product at a store, but the store's web site says their promo text code is a different number. It would be a super lazy way to target the spam, since this area code has a number of these stores and the company is actively expanding and advertising here. The text also includes a link to what looks like a URL shortener, but when I go to the domain in my browser (just the "name.tld" address, not the full one from the message) it just has a short generic-looking 404 message, white background, text in default font. I did a whois at the TLD's nic site and it didn't turn up much, just contact info for GoDaddy and a creation date of a month ago (i'm not super hip with whois so maybe more can be found elsewhere)

should i bother contacting anyone about this? godaddy? the store? my carrier? if it's helpful i'll do it :effort:

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 15, 2018

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Are spammers able to spoof US short code numbers to send SMS? I just got a text from number "43386" that I suspect is spam. I very very rarely ever do promotional SMS stuff, so I doubt it's that. And anyway, the particulars smell funny to me.

I tried finding who owns the number and I couldn't find that number with a few minutes of casual searching. Nothing turned up in Google search results, and a couple of random "short code directory" sites didn't turn anything up either. These sites differed on whether this number was even registered or not.

The text of the message is suspicious to me, too. It presents itself as a promo/coupon for a product at a store, but the store's web site says their promo text code is a different number. It would be a super lazy way to target the spam, since this area code has a number of these stores and the company is actively expanding and advertising here. The text also includes a link to what looks like a URL shortener, but when I go to the domain in my browser (just the "name.tld" address, not the full one from the message) it just has a short generic-looking 404 message, white background, text in default font. I did a whois at the TLD's nic site and it didn't turn up much, just contact info for GoDaddy and a creation date of a month ago (i'm not super hip with whois so maybe more can be found elsewhere)

should i bother contacting anyone about this? godaddy? the store? my carrier? if it's helpful i'll do it :effort:

Telcos don't give a poo poo so don't bother them. The others, maybe.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I think you can put whatever as a sender of an SMS, it's easy to spoof.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i can't wait to see more great and security products

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

"yeah well what if someone doesn't have a screwdriver, idiot? betcha didn't think of that one"

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

quote:

We methodically test our extracted database of AT commands against eight Android devices from four different vendors through their USB interface

:crossarms:

Doesn't mention whether they're able to bypass lock controls via emergency dialer, the only realistic route if USB debugging wasn't enabled

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yes i'm sure anroid running on those devices is up to date and locked up tight

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Last Chance posted:

yes i'm sure anroid running on those devices is up to date and locked up tight

I'm not sure what that has to do with this particular thing.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

+++at+cgact=0,1

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Last Chance posted:

yes i'm sure anroid running on 99% of devices is up to date and locked up tight

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Volmarias posted:

I'm not sure what that has to do with this particular thing.

most Android device manufacturers don't ship many updates after they launch a device. this is bad for the security of those devices

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Last Chance posted:

yes i'm sure anroid is up to date and locked up tight

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Just don't let the keyboard update :haw:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Lutha Mahtin posted:

most Android device manufacturers don't ship many updates after they launch a device. this is bad for the security of those devices

Ok, already understood. This isn't news. When is the last time that a retail device from a known manufacturer shipped with USB debugging enabled by default?

I know everyone loves circle jerking "lol anroid" but this is like one of those "you can gain access to a user's files with this exploit! Step 1: be root" exploits.

If I'm misunderstanding this and it's actually a viable exploit against a phone shipped sometime in the last 5 years, please correct me. Is this basically "dialer codes work from emergency dialer and aren't stripped by the baseband" because if not I'm in the dark on how this could be a legitimate concern

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Volmarias posted:

Ok, already understood. This isn't news. When is the last time that a retail device from a known manufacturer shipped with USB debugging enabled by default?

I know everyone loves circle jerking "lol anroid" but this is like one of those "you can gain access to a user's files with this exploit! Step 1: be root" exploits.

it looks like this is an upcoming talk at blackhat 2018 so details about it may be unknown. i would hope that it isn't one of those dumb "start with X, gain access to Y which you already have because you started with X" exploits. i have never heard of AT commands before this but a little searching turned up a paper (PDF) with a similar idea. skimming it a bit, it looks like they found flaws in some device manufacturers' android implementations and customizations, where bugs in the AT command system(s) allow an attacker to gain root by someone plugging their phone's USB into a malicious device

coincidentally this is a real-world example of why people were cringing the other day itt about that journalist plugging his android into some random USB keyboard at the USA/NK summit

edit: also, this 2013 article wowwwwww

quote:

Our evaluation results are worrisome: vendor customizations are significant on stock Android devices and on the whole responsible for the bulk of the security problems we detected in each device. Specifically, our results show that on average 85.78% of all pre-loaded apps in examined stock images are overprivileged with a majority of them directly from vendor customizations. In addition, 64.71% to 85.00% of vulnerabilities we detected in examined images from every vendor (except for Sony) arose from vendor customizations. In general, this pattern held over time -- newer smartphones, we found, are not necessarily more secure than older ones.

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 17, 2018

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Lutha Mahtin posted:

it looks like this is an upcoming talk at blackhat 2018 so details about it may be unknown. i would hope that it isn't one of those dumb "start with X, gain access to Y which you already have because you started with X" exploits. i have never heard of AT commands before this but a little searching turned up a paper (PDF) with a similar idea. skimming it a bit, it looks like they found flaws in some device manufacturers' android implementations and customizations, where bugs in the AT command system(s) allow an attacker to gain root by someone plugging their phone's USB into a malicious device

coincidentally this is a real-world example of why people were cringing the other day itt about that journalist plugging his android into some random USB keyboard at the USA/NK summit

edit: also, this 2013 article wowwwwww

Both those papers are super old and outdated though, if you get your information about the state of Android devices from papers written in 2013 and lovely tech press articles you're gonna be pretty far from reality

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

apseudonym posted:

Both those papers are super old and outdated though, if you get your information about the state of Android devices from papers written in 2013 and lovely tech press articles you're gonna be pretty far from reality
lol

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

I hate security related tech press so much, its mostly just blatant marketing and yet lots of people in the community believe it.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

apseudonym posted:

I hate security related tech press so much, its mostly just blatant marketing and yet lots of people in the community believe it.
it's a good thing that android device manufacturers push updates to their customers' devices then, isn't it

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

anthonypants posted:

it's a good thing that android device manufacturers push updates to their customers' devices then, isn't it

More than you think do, but even if they didn't the majority of devices are still newer than 2014.

Your unpatched phone from 2014 is still more trustworthy than your laptop :shrug:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

is the theory that if these devices were running something other than Android then they would be more likely to update? is that what history tells us?

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

apseudonym posted:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

apseudonym posted:

if you get your information about relational databases from papers written in 1970 and lovely tech press articles you're gonna be pretty far from reality

if you get your information about the halting problem from papers written in 1936 and lovely tech press articles you're gonna be pretty far from reality

if you get your information about algorithms from books written in the 9th century and lovely caliph town criers you're gonna be pretty far from reality

:shrek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

apseudonym posted:

Your unpatched phone from 2014 is still more trustworthy than your laptop :shrug:
lmao

• Locked thread