Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sometimes I used to put the Soul Blade disc into my PS1 just to watch the intro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’ve always been drawn to the series for various reasons since the Dreamcast days. The character and stage designs were always way cooler than most fgs to me. I even loved the Star Wars stuff :p

I have never been even slightly good

Soul Calibur on the DC was up there as one of the best fighting games i've ever played.

There was a single player story/mission mode that i'm not sure made it across to any of its ports, but i remember it acting like the perfect training/tutorial.

Completing all of those missions made me better at any fighting game than i've ever been and i wish more fighting games had a mode like that instead of a learn the combo menu.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I've enjoyed every Soul Caliber game I've played a great deal (I think the only ones I haven't played are the PSP one and the F2P one)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Kin posted:

Soul Calibur on the DC was up there as one of the best fighting games i've ever played.

There was a single player story/mission mode that i'm not sure made it across to any of its ports, but i remember it acting like the perfect training/tutorial.

Completing all of those missions made me better at any fighting game than i've ever been and i wish more fighting games had a mode like that instead of a learn the combo menu.

Yeah, Calibur had the Edge Master mode similar to the one from Soul Edge on PSX. It's basically a bunch of loosely written storylines jammed together with harder and harder challenge matches, like fighting successive dudes, no jumping, juggle a dude for such and such time. Very cool.

Too bad about the Dreamcast controller tho

Sakurazuka posted:

Sometimes I used to put the Soul Blade disc into my PS1 just to watch the intro

We all need to shine on to see...my goon

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Too bad about the Dreamcast controller tho

The Dreamcast library has arguably the best fighting game library of all time. Soul Calibur, the entire Street Fighter 3 series, Marvel vs Capcom, King of Fighters, Capcom vs SNK, Dead or Alive, Plasma Sword, Tech Romancer, Virtua Fighter, Darkstalkers, Street Fighter 2 (Japan only), Power Stone...

And it's paired with a beyond worthless d-pad and a set of microscopic buttons.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

The Dreamcast has the best game library of all time

Agreed

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Smirking_Serpent posted:

The Dreamcast library has arguably the best fighting game library of all time. Soul Calibur, the entire Street Fighter 3 series, Marvel vs Capcom, King of Fighters, Capcom vs SNK, Dead or Alive, Plasma Sword, Tech Romancer, Virtua Fighter, Darkstalkers, Street Fighter 2 (Japan only), Power Stone...

Also, I always felt like having four shoulder buttons was invaluable if you're not accustomed to arcade sticks. Like being able to set a bumper to be ABK or PKG or whathaveyou and save that as a setting just makes the experience so much more accessible. I hate triggers, but I can deal with the PS4 versions because at least it has 4 shoulder buttons. The DC triggers, tho, gently caress my life...I hated them. Never has my wrist ached so hard than while playing Soul Calibur on DC.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Dreamcast controller is one of the worst ever made.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’ve always been drawn to the series for various reasons since the Dreamcast days. The character and stage designs were always way cooler than most fgs to me. I even loved the Star Wars stuff :p

I have never been even slightly good

I don't think Soul Calibur has ever been a very technical fighter, and each sequel has gone even further into a narrative direction. They've added some techy mechanics like guard impacts and critical edges over the years but I would say most people love the SC series for its characters and robust story modes.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Apparently SCVI takes inspiration from Guilty Gear and every character has some distinction from universal mechanics that you will need to learn so they're making it a little more systems heavy. It sounds awesome.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

exquisite tea posted:

I don't think Soul Calibur has ever been a very technical fighter, and each sequel has gone even further into a narrative direction. They've added some techy mechanics like guard impacts and critical edges over the years but I would say most people love the SC series for its characters and robust story modes.

That’s exactly what I want. I mean I’ve played other SC games but generally only button mashed through vs matches. I’m excited for it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Who's the jack-o?

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Real hurthling! posted:

Who's the jack-o?

Voldo is usually found on his back-o

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Smirking_Serpent posted:

You had to get a set of these for your Dreamcast.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Phantasium posted:

I would play fighting games for the single player if a chunk of that whole genre hadn't decided it didn't need them or to do them well.
Yeah, that. Soul Calibur III had amazing singleplayer content, then they just sort of... threw it away in IV and V for some reason.

It also had a bunch of cool fighting styles that were used for CaCs and then never appeared again (the bladed boots, the katana/shuriken combo, wave blades, the generic greatsword that had this double overhead swing the AI just couldn't figure out how to deal with, etc).

glam rock hamhock posted:

I've enjoyed every Soul Caliber game I've played a great deal (I think the only ones I haven't played are the PSP one and the F2P one)
The f2p one unironically had better single player than SCIV or SCV. Shame about being a monumental lootbox clusterfuck though.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

U.T. Raptor posted:

The f2p one unironically had better single player than SCIV or SCV. Shame about being a monumental lootbox clusterfuck though.
No it really didn't, it was terrible in every way and barely worked even aside from the lootbox/energy system insanity.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

That stuff has been there since Soul Edge on PSX.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I think this explains why some games had spotty availability in physical form, it seems Sony is finally launching a "Greatest Hits" line for PS4 on June 28th. I really hope at least some of these are pre-patched. $20MSRP.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/06/19/introducing-playstation-hits-great-games-at-a-great-price/

Europe's version of this launches July 18th with 20 Euro price-tags and the following titles:

Bloodborne
Driveclub
inFAMOUS Second Son
Killzone Shadow Fall
The Last of Us Remastered
LittleBigPlanet 3
Ratchet & Clank
Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End
Need For Speed
Need For Speed Rivals
EA Sports UFC 2
Yakuza Zero
Earth Defense 4.1: The Shadow of New Despair
Project CARS
Dragon Ball Xenoverse
Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends Complete Edition
Watch_Dogs
Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag
Rayman Legends
Mortal Kombat X
Batman Arkham Knight
Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
Street Fighter V

Note that the cases for all of these will apparently be red instead of blue, like they were on PS3.

univbee fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 19, 2018

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

PlayStation’s Greatest Hits! Also, Street Fighter 5!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

univbee posted:

Note that the cases for all of these will apparently be red instead of blue, like they were on PS3.

:barf:

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like those are price raises for a bunch of those games lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That's also not SFV Arcade Edition so that's a game with like 70% of the cast locked behind hundreds of dollars of DLC.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

In Training posted:

That's also not SFV Arcade Edition so that's a game with like 70% of the cast locked behind hundreds of dollars of DLC.

SF5 is its own mess but I'm surprised many of those games aren't complete roll-ups, especially with MGS5 actually being its complete version. Bloodborne and Driveclub really should have been complete.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That's a nice price for Yakuza Zero I may finally pick it up

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Red cases uuugggh... At least I can just look on aliexpress for blue ones for cheap and just stick with them.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

That's a nice price for Yakuza Zero I may finally pick it up

I know Yakuza 2 broke your brain but 0 is a really fantastic game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I know Yakuza 2 broke your brain but 0 is a really fantastic game

There's a part of me that wants to wait since they announced 3/4/5 for PS4.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

I don't think that really matters if you're going for narrative order since it ties most directly into 1. If you want to go strict release order then sure. I'm waiting for Kiwami 2 and 3-5 to get localized before I play 6 tbh

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

Zero is the best one dont sleep on it

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
If you are playing the remakes dont play them in (edit: original) release order, because they specifically designed kiwami 1 and 2 to be played after 0. Like there is new stuff in Kiwami 1 that straight comes from 0.

Hell even 6 references 0 lol

abagofcheetos fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 19, 2018

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
I've only played Assassins Creed 1, and it didn't hook me. I didn't think it was that great. I know the games have improved a lot since, but I'll be picking up IV for :20bux: just to sing some sea shanties. I'll plat it if it means more shanties to sing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Black Flag is one of the good ones. I was having a pretty fun time (until uplay ate my cloud save thanks Ubisoft!!!)

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
lol so it looks like this week's sale is a bunch of DLC for Black Ops III, and some other Call of Duty stuff. Smart move I guess.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Also DMC4 Demon Hunter edition. I know I had a craving for some DMC after E3...

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Watrick posted:

I've only played Assassins Creed 1, and it didn't hook me. I didn't think it was that great. I know the games have improved a lot since, but I'll be picking up IV for :20bux: just to sing some sea shanties. I'll plat it if it means more shanties to sing.

Good AC Games: Brotherhood, Black Flag, Syndicate, Origins

OK AC Games: AC2, Revelations, Unity (it's actually fine now that the launch bugs have been fixed)

Terrible: AC3

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I would kill for Syndicate to be remade in the new style of Origins but that will never happen. The characters were so good :smith: same with Unity really.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Good AC Games: Brotherhood, Black Flag, Syndicate, Origins

OK AC Games: AC2, Revelations, Unity (it's actually fine now that the launch bugs have been fixed)

Terrible: AC3

I'd put Unity in a Bad tier above AC3, it's not a very good game but it's not a trainwreck of bad decisions like 3

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I'd put them all in the trash.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

elf help book posted:

I'd put them all in the trash.

Very kind of you to take them into your home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Origins is a step in the right direction that I hope Odyssey builds on.