Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Safeword posted:

Going from AC2 to ACB, the biggest loss is my brothel. drat you Cesare.

Yeah, but ACB has upgradeable remote assassination minions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Odyssey looks sick.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
i am honestly excited for navy combat and boarding.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Don't you just get another brothel in Brotherhood anyways?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think so. I know you can hire ladies to walk around with you, but maybe that was in 2 too, the ezio games blend together a little in my memory

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

They said in one of the trailers that the ship will be your headquarters this time. Owns.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
I'm on board (:haw:) with that! Is there any word if the ship upgrading system from Black Flag is returning?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I think they can do much better with ship upgrades than Black Flag. I'd like to see more options and side-grades rather than a bunch of linear paths to climb. Throw in some trade-offs, mutually exclusive options, maybe upgrades that are unlocked in more interesting ways as opposed to just passing a certain story mission and farming up the necessary resources.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Apparently you'll be able to recruit various people to join you back on the ship over the course of your adventures. Not sure if they provide any tangible benefits or if they're just there to chat with.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Deformed Church posted:

I think they can do much better with ship upgrades than Black Flag. I'd like to see more options and side-grades rather than a bunch of linear paths to climb. Throw in some trade-offs, mutually exclusive options, maybe upgrades that are unlocked in more interesting ways as opposed to just passing a certain story mission and farming up the necessary resources.

With the Origin weapon system it'd be fun to see that applied to the ship.

Give the ship X number of weapon slots and have a decent variety to equip.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm drooling at the idea of a cursed battering ram for your ship.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

They also mentioned in passing that the player will be able to use the power of the apple in the form of special abilities. It all sounds amazing.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Next game: give me paragon/renegade choice options which decide if the game gets a templar or assassin ending. How is that not part of Odyssey already.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

What apple? Do you mean the lance?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Ubi has said that player choices will ultimately affect the balance of power between Athens and Sparta, framing the morality as order vs. chaos which sounds conspicuously like a paragon/renegade paradigm.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The Apple of Eden.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I really want Ubisoft to one day spring a modern day Assassin's Creed on us where the Assassins and Templars pull out all of the precursor mcguffins you've been chasing though all these games and tear poo poo up with them.

e: or even better, if they do a crossover and that's the plot of the next Splinter Cell.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Assassin's Creed III's big buildup to Desmond walking in and just shooting people with a gun was hilarious

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

exquisite tea posted:

Ubi has said that player choices will ultimately affect the balance of power between Athens and Sparta, framing the morality as order vs. chaos which sounds conspicuously like a paragon/renegade paradigm.

Does this mean I can choose to punch Xenophon in the face?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Assassin's Creed III's big buildup to Desmond walking in and just shooting people with a gun was hilarious

yeah, i love how once you get the pistol. the game goes to easy mode. and then you use the psychic death ball to make all the officer works and guard go insane and die.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Aaaaah, I forgot how fun ACB is. Coming straight off AC2 the counter system is wonderful. :allears:

Rushing the storyline to unlock assassin training. Then it's collecting my Pokemon and playing Assassin's Tycoon.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Alchenar posted:

I really want Ubisoft to one day spring a modern day Assassin's Creed on us where the Assassins and Templars pull out all of the precursor mcguffins you've been chasing though all these games and tear poo poo up with them.

e: or even better, if they do a crossover and that's the plot of the next Splinter Cell.

It would be a great opportunity to tie some of the games's themes into its mechanics. The whole bullshit shadow-forever-war could be represented by you and whatever Templar antagonist using Apples to enthrall groups into providing you cover, or forcing hordes of disposable civilians into attacking you.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I was checking out the AC subreddit for some more information about Odyssey and it is a very weird place. Like I think they found every single person who actually cares about the metaplot and AC3 and put them into one forum.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm replaying Origins on Nightmare and it's a very different game to the one I remember on hard. It feels a lot more like Batman - there are real payoffs to using all the gadgets at your disposal and really thinking about how you are going to make your approach, rather than taking on every fort with an 'up over the wall and hey ho we go'attitude.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Mameluke posted:

It would be a great opportunity to tie some of the games's themes into its mechanics. The whole bullshit shadow-forever-war could be represented by you and whatever Templar antagonist using Apples to enthrall groups into providing you cover, or forcing hordes of disposable civilians into attacking you.

So it should be an Assassin's Creed version of the classic near-future video game Syndicate? What could we possibly call such a thing?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Someone on Facebook put up screenshots of all special abilities from each skill tree. Seems like they're really leaning harder into some fantastical aspects with arrows that shoot through walls and summons.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

That's how I understood them letting the player use the apple of eden. It's basically a lore-friendly way of introducing spells to their RPG.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Palpek posted:

That's how I understood them letting the player use the apple of eden. It's basically a lore-friendly way of introducing spells to their RPG.

Basically inevitable given the need to reconcile going backwards in time with the need not to shut down gameplay mechanics because you've established the gadget responsible for them hasn't been invented yet.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Palpek posted:

Given the ancient times setting, I’m completely ok with this.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Alchenar posted:

Basically inevitable given the need to reconcile going backwards in time with the need not to shut down gameplay mechanics because you've established the gadget responsible for them hasn't been invented yet.

I will say it is kinda funny to name your franchise reboot Origins and then have its sequel go back to a time 400 years before Origins. If this series just becomes Historical Murder RPG then I'm not gonna complain too much.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

exquisite tea posted:

I will say it is kinda funny to name your franchise reboot Origins and then have its sequel go back to a time 400 years before Origins. If this series just becomes Historical Murder RPG then I'm not gonna complain too much.

I'm more relieved than I should be that Origins didn't become the new branding. In reality it is but I'm glad it's not in the title.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

exquisite tea posted:

Someone on Facebook put up screenshots of all special abilities from each skill tree. Seems like they're really leaning harder into some fantastical aspects with arrows that shoot through walls and summons.
Interesting. I guess since in this one you're carrying around a magic precursor science artifact at all times it's easy to justify those.

EDIT: "incapacitate and then recruit people for your crew" *bonk* "YOU BELONG TO ME NOW."

Sindai fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 18, 2018

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

e: ^^ what's an ancient greek fulton look like?

exquisite tea posted:

I mean it's the Origins of the Assassins. Whereas the Order is already established at the start of the game and is heavily implied (and probably implicitly stated somewhere in the lore) to have been brought to Egypt by the Greeks. Next game is set even earlier in Greece. The implications for what the story will be about are a bit obvious.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sindai posted:

Interesting. I guess since in this one you're carrying around a magic precursor science artifact at all times it's easy to justify those.

EDIT: "incapacitate and then recruit people for your crew" *bonk* "YOU BELONG TO ME NOW."

More plausible than MGSV at least

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Alchenar posted:

e: ^^ what's an ancient greek fulton look like?

I mean it's the Origins of the Assassins. Whereas the Order is already established at the start of the game and is heavily implied (and probably implicitly stated somewhere in the lore) to have been brought to Egypt by the Greeks. Next game is set even earlier in Greece. The implications for what the story will be about are a bit obvious.

I could be wrong but im pretty sure when you get the hidden blade they say it was an acient weapon that killed Xerxes so they definitely keep going back in time.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
To be fair it was only a weapon, there's no indication the Assassins existed as an actual group with their tenets.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Ainsley McTree posted:

More plausible than MGSV at least

Spoiler, the ancients invented the Fulton system.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I 100% believe our character to be one of the first Templars.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'm going to stick with my gut feeling that our player character somehow ends up becoming Alexander the Great 100 years later because it's just stupid enough to be believable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Safeword posted:

To be fair it was only a weapon, there's no indication the Assassins existed as an actual group with their tenets.

I think its gonna be the origins of the templars or some poo poo like that.