Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Croccers posted:

Yeah, what the gently caress is up with the Racing Sim nerds getting their finger into this game? I noticed they got in on the floor not too far into EA.

Well you can certainly play it like a racing sim, but that sure isn't any fun. I'd much rather finish 14th out of 24 with a car that looks like this but have enough experience points to gain another level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Stokes posted:

Well you can certainly play it like a racing sim, but that sure isn't any fun. I'd much rather finish 14th out of 24 with a car that looks like this but have enough experience points to gain another level.
Oh of course. You get points for T-boning and ramming the opposition into a wall to stop them dead. You don't get points for clean passes and lines.
So why did they latch onto the game for?

I'm finding the 'career' a bit dull but that just means I play a race or two then alt-tab for a bit. I wish their was a damage model between Arcade and 'Realistic' though.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I started playing Mafia 3 yesterday. I think I want a game like the first two hours of this one, where it’s just story mixed with some action. Not sure about this whole open world thing.

Getting older has really changed my gaming habits. Last night was the first time I’ve been able to spend a solid 2 or 3 hours on a video game in a long time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If I get stuck on any one section of a game for longer than five minutes I just look up a guide and it's improved my gaming experience immensely. I can't believe I once had the patience to beat Riven all on my own as a teenager.

ninguno
Jan 17, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

If I get stuck on any one section of a game for longer than five minutes I just look up a guide and it's improved my gaming experience immensely. I can't believe I once had the patience to beat Riven all on my own as a teenager.

Holy poo poo you are a savant. I think I spent 100 hours on that game and made zero "progress"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't think I've ever felt smarter figuring out the D'ni counting system was Base-5 before I even understood it as a mathematical concept.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Cook Serve Delicious 2 now at 2.0

quote:

This is it! Not only is this the biggest update for Cook, Serve, Delicious! 2!!, but also one of the biggest updates I've ever done for any game period. It's that massive.

[...]

Twenty-four new foods enter the roster! Here's a list of everything that is available and ready to purchase via the Food Catalog:

ENTREES
Hot Lattes
Iced Lattes
Frozen Lattes
Espressos
Smoothies
Milkshakes
Enchiladas
Tamales
Rote Grutze
Htapothi sti Skhara
Organic Salad
Ice Cream Scoops
Glazed Doughnuts
Specialty Doughnuts
Frozen Bananas
Cinnamon Buns
Brownies
Japanese Crepe

SIDE DISHES
Croissants
Specialty Fries
Side Oatmeal
Marshmallow Squares

DRINKS
Hot Tea
Horchata

Three new restaurants with 36 new shifts are now available in the Tower! Burrito Time, Contrast Coffee Company and Planet BLUE are now hiring!
All new Zen Shifts mode allow you to play all 400 shifts with no rush hours and infinite patience! Note that only bronze medals can be obtained in this mode.
Five new achievements added.
119 new objects have been added, including two new categories: Fountains and Wall Booths! New categories have been accordingly added to the Designer.
Level cap increased to 125. This is the final limit for the game.

MORE NEW ADDITIONS
Chilly Bowl Shift 2, 4, 7 and 8 now have Ice Cream Scoops added to the menu. Any medals earned before this patch will still be kept.
Switch Pro Controller support added in Options>Gamepad.
The Tower Mode Menu has been completely redesigned for a better display of levels and control.
A new "trigger guide" has been added to recipes when using a gamepad to help with making foods faster. You can toggle this off in Options>Gamepad.
Added the option to toggle the red email indicator on the main menu in Options>Gameplay>New Email Notifications.
You must now confirm twice when buying a food in the Food Catalog, which should prevent accidental purchases.
"Barista Update" added as a Status Filter for the Food Catalog.
An increase in visual fidelity and resolution have been made for the following foods: [...]

You can now hold Shift+Control+F6 to toggle an FPS counter in-game, mainly to aid troubleshooting for certain issues. "FPS" is the current FPS count, while "Real FPS" is the uncapped framerate your computer can theoretically run.
Medals Earned splash screen for Chef for Hire mode redesigned.
Exactly three pieces of streamers and/or balloons will fall when a perfect day is completed.
You can now quit back to the title screen to load a new game instead of having to quit the game and restart it.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

I started playing Mafia 3 yesterday. I think I want a game like the first two hours of this one, where it’s just story mixed with some action. Not sure about this whole open world thing.

Getting older has really changed my gaming habits. Last night was the first time I’ve been able to spend a solid 2 or 3 hours on a video game in a long time.

I’m pretty sure someone posted about a mod that tones down the open world grind, but I can’t seem to find it.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

:heritage: FPSummer :heritage:

1. Bunker Punks
2. Far Cry
3. E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy
4. Immortal Redneck
5. Rise of the Triad
6. BioShock Remastered
7. Crysis
8. Hard Reset Redux
9. Far Cry 2
10. Sanctum
11. Judge Dredd: Dredd vs Death
12. Crysis Warhead
13. BioShock 2 Remastered
14. Receiver
15. Blood and Bacon
16. Far Cry 3
17. Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood

18. BioShock Infinite

The original BioShock introduced the world to an impossible underwater city full of wonders and horrors, constructed out of a mad confluence of styles and concepts. BioShock 2 didn’t advance the concept in any way except the combat, so it fell to BioShock Infinite to set the world on fire again. And I guarantee you, the moment you step out onto the streets of Columbia, a shining Reconstruction-era metropolis suspended in the vast blue skies, you’ll think it did just that. Infinite builds on the BioShock formula in a lot of important ways but detracts from it in others, and once you get a better idea of what passes for a story here you may find yourself significantly less impressed.

Apparently the thing for megalomaniacs to do in the BioShock universe is build cities that shouldn’t exist. Following the Civil War, a group of Extremely Not Mad white people led by their “prophet” Zachary Comstock constructed Columbia, an archipelago of airborne buildings and streets drifting in the skies above America. U.S. Cavalry veteran and hard-boiled gunman Booker DeWitt has been hired to infiltrate Columbia to liberate a certain young lady for shadowy interests. While a perfectly capable sort for shootouts, he soon finds himself pitted against clockwork monstrosities and simmering revolutionaries fighting for the fate of not just his mysterious charge, but the fate of the city and the future of the country.

I hope the thing that stood out to you there was the 19th century flying city, because Columbia is one of the most incredible settings I’ve seen in gaming. Whatever you thought of Rapture is sure to pale in comparison to the shimmering brickwork and towering monuments poking from the clouds. It’s a fully-realized city as well, with roadways carved across the islands and modular bridges and cable cars and skylines connecting them in dynamic ways. Even the atmosphere is impressive, cultivating a mix of wonder and repulsion from a brightly-lit metropolis seething with corruption and bigotry.

That last bit is kind of important, what with the city being built by Confederate fanatics that worship Washington, Franklin, and John Wilkes Booth as deities. As you wander the populated streets of Columbia you’ll see posters proclaiming the defense of the white race, and later you’ll find the squalor in which the non-white servants and the underprivledged are forced into. You’ll also cross paths with a resistance group aiming to topple Comstock’s control of the city, and in your dealings with them come to find they’re not quite the equitable liberators they first appear to be. Given the context and the real-world parallels to anti-segregation movements this is a particularly distasteful bit of villainizing victims, and I’d probably be angrier about that if it actually amounted to anything.

But it doesn’t, and the reason it doesn’t is my biggest problem with the game. During your adventures in Columbia you’ll encounter a huge amount of plot threads that appear to be winding together. There are the odd twins responsible for the city’s unusually advanced tech, there’s a industrialist with an iron grip on parts of the city, there’s Booker’s mysterious debt, there’s the girl and her monstrous protector, there’s Comstock and his suspiciously-deceased wife, there’s Daisy Fitzroy and her revolutionary Vox Populi… there’s all of this, crammed into a floating city the likes of which you’ve never seen before. And in the end, none of it matters, because the story isn’t about any of it.

I’m going to beat this point to death with a golf club because it’s so central to the experience. BioShock Infinite sets up a perfectly solid narrative with Booker’s quest to rescue Elizabeth from a mad prophet in a flying city beset by revolutionaries and unchecked science, and shoves it all aside. What the game ends up being about is some hard sci-fi nonsense about alternate dimensions and time travel, which is a massive, massive disappointment when you have the potential for so many character moments and messages already. Instead of building Daisy Fitzroy as a counter to Comstock’s racism and bigotry, she gets written off as a psychopath and Comstock’s terrible views get buried in favor of his part in some interdimensional conspiracy. It all culminates in an ending that leaves most questions unanswered, raises new ones that don’t get answered, and retroactively makes the BioShock series stupider for being connected to it.

I hated the ending to BioShock Infinite. It’s the worst kind of intellectual flailing in an attempt to produce more meaning than is actually there. And unlike the original BioShock, it doesn’t even connect the story with the gameplay effectively. Your pseudo-magical powers here come from vigors which are never explained or explored in any way even remotely similar to the treatment plasmids got. Elizabeth’s powers figure prominently in combat as well as the story, but never get ironed out in any consistent fashion. Oh, and don’t expect any of those memorable setpieces and bosses that the original was known for. There’s maybe one or two early on, and then nothing until an absolutely bizarre waste of time fighting a spongey boss that comes out of nowhere and requires half an hour of backtracking alongside.

My ire with this game is partly because I enjoyed it so much up to the midpoint, and was still invested in it until the end. The levels may be mostly linear but I was thoroughly enamored with the concept and setting, which made every area feel fresh and fascinating. There’s still a hint of horror to the game in the vicious, bloody takedowns you can perform and the vileness of some of your foes, granting even the sunniest streets a sinister feel. You’ll find tons of desks and trashcans to loot, plenty of recording devices to mine for backstory (that mostly won’t matter, but still), and a refreshing preponderance of civilians milling around most areas to make the place feel more lived in.

On the mechanical side, BioShock Infinite feels like a big leap forward and then a few small steps back. Combat is faster-paced and more hectic than ever before, and you have your guns and your vigors at the ready at all times. There’s a huge variety of weapons but for some reason you can only hold two at a time and they all have limited ammo reserves, forcing you to switch up constantly. Making foes vulnerable with vigors or environmental hazards is terribly important for dropping them quickly, but larger enemies are still intensely bullet-spongey. The skylines add some much-needed mobility for bigger fights, and offer a new dimension to launch attacks from. Ironically it almost tracks with the story, with fights getting frustratingly rough after the halfway point and borderline unbearable by the end.

Since beating the game I’ve struggled with whether or not this review should be a recommendation or a warning, and in the end I’m gonna say you should give it a try. Obviously not everyone hated the story as much as I did, and it’s still not bad enough to wipe out the hours of fun I had up to that point. Columbia really deserves to be experienced, and that experience is sure to be a thrilling one with battles across airships and skylines. And even the ending is the interesting kind of bad, the kind that tries and fails to do something meaningful, which can be worth seeing through. Ultimately, BioShock Infinite is half of a great game and the end of a terrible one, but it stays good and impressive long enough to make the bad bearable.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The most unforgivable part about Bioshock Infinite is the fact that weapon upgrades don't change the appearance of the gun at all.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Anytime I was having story moments with Elizabeth or in an arena fight with multiple enemies and skyrails I was having fun in Bioshock Infinite. Anytime else, and especially during boss fights, I was not really.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I just beat level 6 of Celeste and I don't know how a non-combat platformer managed to have one of the best boss fights I've played in recent memory but it did. That was intense, challenging but not frustrating, thematically uplifting and extremely rewarding to beat. I'd planned to play it for a bit longer but I need a breather after that.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

il_cornuto posted:

I just beat level 6 of Celeste and I don't know how a non-combat platformer managed to have one of the best boss fights I've played in recent memory but it did. That was intense, challenging but not frustrating, thematically uplifting and extremely rewarding to beat. I'd planned to play it for a bit longer but I need a breather after that.

Are you playing with a controller? I found the precise platforming aspect was great except that there were too many times I would dash straight down when I meant to dash diagonal or vice versa, and it felt frustrating and not just in a git gud sort of way that these normally do. What is the trick to having the dash be more consistent?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

eukara posted:

Yeah. Loads of people contacted us, offering to do translations for our game. However because of heavy bitmap font usage and because I can't verify translations I never felt comfortable letting that happen.
On Steam that and a bunch of key-beggers == the most attention you seem to get really
That's dumb as hell. You can sell a lot more copies if your game is translated. Obviously.

Just ask for volunteers to check the quality of a sample translation on steam, if you seriously don't know anyone who speaks the language in question.

(I do freelance translation work in my spare time, and getting people to check your translation quality is REALLY not difficult)

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Chin Strap posted:

Are you playing with a controller? I found the precise platforming aspect was great except that there were too many times I would dash straight down when I meant to dash diagonal or vice versa, and it felt frustrating and not just in a git gud sort of way that these normally do. What is the trick to having the dash be more consistent?

No, keyboard only, I've not had any problems with the dash. I usually prefer controllers for platformers like this, but mine's broken and I got Celeste as a present so I thought I'd give it a go and it actually feels great, precise and responsive. So I guess the trick is use arrow keys?

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

I tried making a quick buck selling a bunch of cards, and...

Just what I needed, unsellable clutter.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

StrixNebulosa posted:

Cook Serve Delicious 2 now at 2.0

Oh sweet, gonna have to check this out. I enjoyed CSD2 but haven't played it since the last few patches. Something about the gameplay loop of the original that kept me coming back that didn't quite land the same on the sequel for me.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Pentaro posted:

I tried making a quick buck selling a bunch of cards, and...

Just what I needed, unsellable clutter.

There are Steam trashbots if you want to get rid of the card. Here's one that seems to still be active: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheRealTrashbot

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Can't you turn useless cards into useless gems?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Can't you turn useless cards into useless gems?

Do those actually do anything anymore?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Orv posted:

Do those actually do anything anymore?

If you get enough somehow you can still get a booster pack, or if you scrounge a thousand you can turn them into a sack of gems that can be sold on the market. It's never really worth it of course.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The Vault of Forgotten PC Adventure Games

I have a love for the CD-ROM era of PC adventure games and multimedia CD-ROMs of the 90’s. A chunk of this is nostalgia I admit, this exact era was how I first got into video games but I do have a genuine appreciation for them having played/watched more of them in recent years. The 90’s CD-ROM era of PC games was one of the most experimental periods in the medium; people believed that with the advent of the CD-ROM video games could emerge as a major interactive medium, even Hollywood got involved from time to time. Not all of it was good, but as corn in the bible brought up in his Beckett review even if they were bad they tended to be fascinating and unique and the ones that were genuinely good were fantastic experiences that you rarely get anymore. This series of reviews will be mainly for those 90’s CD-ROM adventure and multimedia games that aren’t easily available to purchase and play, you pretty much have to track down old physical copies or :filez: to play them. A good chunk need to be run through emulators like DOSBox or virtual machines in order to be played on modern computers as well, further complicating it. Some of the games that I planned to play through and review have actually gotten new re-releases on GOG thankfully, i.e. The Dame Was Loaded, Titanic: Adventure Out of Time; but I’ll still make reviews for them when I complete them. But many still don’t have that luxury so it’s why I want to raise awareness for some of these forgotten games. There's no schedule for these reviews by the way, just whenever I finish one.

To start this series off I’ll be reviewing a childhood favorite of mine, Nightmare Ned.

Nightmare Ned

Developer and Publisher: Creative Capers, Disney Interactive

Year of Release: 1997

“Eat my yoyo!”

Arts and Crafts Theme

Nightmare Ned was the obscure video game adaptation of an even more obscure short-lived Disney One Saturday Morning cartoon of the same name; both were released in 1997. The game stars the titular Ned, a young boy who is prone to very real nightmares. One night while his parents are away Ned is attacked by the Shadows, spectral embodiments of his worst fears, who trap him in his nightmares. Ned must traverse through five worlds pertaining to each Shadow, a graveyard nightmare, a school nightmare, a medical nightmare comprised of two separate areas, a dentist and hospital nightmare, an attic nightmare, and a bathroom nightmare, if he wants to conquer his fears.

The gameplay is akin to a cinematic 2-D sidescrolling platformer ala Another World, Abe’s Oddysee, and Heart of Darkness, though much more focused on simple puzzles and exploration than twitch reflexes. Ned can jump as well as use his trusty yo-yo, which you use to solve puzzles and to defeat enemies. Ned can “die” and get sent back to the hub world of The Quilt, but Ned can really take a beating so it’s not a very demanding game; though if you do fail enough times you can get the bad ending, but even then it’s not a hard game as I said. Ned’s goal is to explore the nightmare worlds to reveal pieces of the shadows’ true identities so he can overcome each of their corresponding fears. The flags for finding a piece of a Shadow is randomized to a degree but they are usually found by just exploring or by successfully completing a mini-game, which are waiting to be discovered throughout the nightmares. Most of the nightmares are actually fairly open areas with a bunch of things to find in their nooks and crannies, including shortcuts to other nightmares. The Medical Nightmare is mostly an exception as the dental section is a mostly linear platforming level and the hospital section is a linear stage where Ned is stuck on a runaway gurney and has to avoid having his organs ripped out by sinister surgeons, if you get hit Ned is sent to the operating theater and strapped to a makeshift roulette wheel where he has to land on his organs, the amount being how many times you were hit, to get them back and to escape.

Ned’s gameplay is solid and works for what it is, but what really makes the game is the fantastic atmosphere. Nightmare Ned was my introduction to horror games and really I couldn’t ask for anything better. Ned is an exemplary example of children’s horror with actual teeth, one that’s suitable for kids but is totally willing to be creepy and atmospheric. The game is actually kind of gruesome even though there is no blood; i.e. Ned can get stabbed with visible puncture wounds, electrocuted, and have his organs ripped out of him as I mentioned before just to name a few, though Ned tends to shake them off Looney Tunes style which make its more palpable for kids. Ned also strikes this real excellent balance between being genuinely eerie and darkly humorous and silly. The game’s environments are really creative, ranging from Ned’s locker in the school nightmare where you have to fight his arts and crafts projects in a stop motion pastiche of Mortal Kombat, the attic and basement nightmare that is full of a random assortment of surreal sights not akin to how people’s attics and basements can be cluttered with real stuff, the dental nightmare where you have traverse the inside of a grotesque mouth, and the part of the bathroom nightmare where you have to platform over bathtubs while avoiding rats throwing electric beavers at you. Ned’s art design is just overall superb, mashing all kinds of aesthetics and styles together giving it this dream-like feeling. The game’s soundtrack is truly fantastic ranging from hauntingly beautiful instrumentals to goofy show tunes.

As I brought up in my introduction, Ned is one of those games that can’t be installed on 64 bit OSes. Even if you get it to run via emulation the hospital nightmare is tied to processor speed which makes it exceedingly difficult to successfully complete because the game just speeds through it and treats it like you got hit the max amount of times so you’ll probably going have to fiddle with emulator clock speed if you want to complete the game, otherwise good luck not missing a single organ. I’ve recently been having trouble running it on a virtual machine too for some strange reason, even when I’m using the disc copy I have, so I couldn’t make my own screenshots like I wanted to.

Overall Nightmare Ned is a beautiful forgotten gem of a horror adventure game that still holds up more than twenty years later. Any horror game fan should definitely check it out because it’s a unique entry to the genre. Disney has been releasing a couple of their games on GOG, so I’m still holding out hope that Ned can leave obscurity and get more of the appreciation it deserves.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 19, 2018

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I enjoyed binfinite to play it a couple times and think it gets dogpiled overly hard, but it definitely way overreaches what it (and maybe any game?) can reasonably do

It tries to be four things at once: a character story mainly about two people, some sort of social commentary which is an absolute loving minefield to talk about, a whole bunch of quantum/multiple dimension nonsense, and a game where you shoot a lot of people in the face. I feel like it could reasonably do any two of these things at once, an incredible game could do three, and some hypothetical impossible god-game could maybe somehow weave all four together without feeling like any of those elements are muddied or held back by any of the others. Bioshock infinite is not that game and it was dumb of it to try. Should have known its limits. IMO it’s quite a fun shooter and a fantastic-looking game, and the sound is great just like the first two bioshocks. but all the bits where it tries to be more than that really do not work. And those bits are practically a majority of the game.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Accordion Man posted:

The Vault of Forgotten PC Adventure Games

This sounds like it's gonna be really neat. I remember seeing all those weird FMV games on the shelves at Media Play and wondering what they were all about.

I'm almost tempted to buy this so I can do a one-game weeklong roundup, except it's literally just bouncing a ball around the inside of a circle. :effort:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Brigador just got a massive patch and is on sale and it's one of the best games on steam, especially if you're into giant robots.

quote:

Changelog

06 / 18 / 2018 — v1.4 — Nĭ Hăo a Tutti

Gameplay
Freelance variants for all Campaign missions are now purchasable, allowing free loadout selection
Added pilots Bulver and Aunup, who fight only Corvids & Loyalists
Added pilots Vocc and Poquet, who fight only Corvids & Spacers
Added pilots Black and Rem, who fight only Loyalists & Spacers
Added pilots Ka and Haapala, who fight only Corvids
Added pilots Tsunoda and Armbruster, who fight only Loyalists
Added pilots Saraf and Parrot, who fight only Spacers
Added Broadsword, Canary, Moray, and Juke as playable vehicles
Increased movement speed of all Ultra mechs by 1
Increased Huss shielding from 150/125 to 200/150
Increased Kettle forward speed from 7 to 8, linear damping from 2 to 3, and turn speeds from 120/180 to 160/180
Increased Praetor forward speed from 6.75 to 7.5, forward accel from 25 to 32.5, turn speed from 105/130 to 115/140
Reduced Praetor chasis rotation speed by 15
Increased Dorothy and Mongoose shields by 25
Reduced Sledger upper height from 0.895 to 0.7
Reduced Fence upper height from 0.911 to 0.65, radius from 0.65 to 0.5
Revised Fence hitpoint values from 100/75/100 to 50/75/125
Revised Tinker hitpoint values from 650/150/150 to 525/200/175
Reduced Nickel overshield from 250 to 200
Increased Treehouse overshield from 150 to 225
Increased Dragon speed by 1, reverse acceleration from 6 to 15, linear damping from 2 to 3.5
Revised Dragon hitpoint values from 600/125/225 to 450/175/300, turn speeds from 60/140 to 70/120, reverse acceleration from 15 to 10, reverse speed from 6 to 5.
Increased Quill forward speed from 6 to 10, forward acceleration from 7 to 12
Changed Quill boost speeds
Increased Hadhrat trample and tankrush models from heavy to superheavy, speed from 6 to 7.5, turn speed from 100/140 to 130/150
Added impact delay for Crambo rounds to prevent self-damage when firing at point blank range
Slightly increased Faker AoE damage against environment, will now 1-shot defense batteries on direct hit.
Completely revised the EMP special ability, longer cooldown but longer stun and much larger AoE
Increased EMP projectile penetration from 3 to 30

VFX
Understanding the Brigador engine much better has allowed us to refine the environment lighting both for performance and aesthetics:
Completely revamped in-game lights and lighting
Freelance runs now have varied lighting
EMP ability now disables lighting over a much larger area
Increased duration of Thunderclap's beam effect from 0.041" to 0.07"

MISC
Added Chinese and Italian localizations
Fixed bug where restarting a mission replaced world lighting with the menu preset
Fixed bug where the diamond stat pips were replaced with (?)
Reset unpurchased asset lighting to the original dark silhouette (pre-restart bug)
Added a copy of Kennedy's face prior to Solo Nobre's invasion
Fixed bug where hitting ESC between missions abandoned a run
Fixed hitbox for citylit_16_0000 street light
Rearranged ordering of Corvid heavy mechs in Intel

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Make sure to play the DLC campaign, Burial at Sea, to completely destroy any positive feelings you may still have towards Ken Levine's writing after working through Infinite's story. Oh, and also for a quick visit to pre-fall Rapture and not being limited to two weapons at a time. Those parts of it are actually good.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Brigador! :neckbeard::swoon:

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Is using DS4Windows just necessary now if you intend to play with a DualShock? I keep running into games that don't detect it otherwise.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Not many games actually support directinput controllers out of the box so pretty much. I’m having better luck lately with newer games doing that though.

I actually had a problem with the first game I played that did (witcher 3) because the game’s base PS4 controller support + DS4windows was making all my inputs get doubled, I didn’t even think of what the problem was for awhile and turn off DS4windows, because so few games actually support playstation controllers themselves.

Unreal 4 does directinput support pretty much for free so you can expect more games to do it going forward.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Yeah sadly I wish there was a way to preset games to use DirectInput and fallback to XInput or w/e if it's not supported. I'd guess you'd need software that could read a list of .exe/whitelist type thing and I don't think DS4Windows does it.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Digirat posted:

Not many games actually support directinput controllers out of the box so pretty much. I’m having better luck lately with newer games doing that though.

I actually had a problem with the first game I played that did (witcher 3) because the game’s base PS4 controller support + DS4windows was making all my inputs get doubled, I didn’t even think of what the problem was for awhile and turn off DS4windows, because so few games actually support playstation controllers themselves.

Unreal 4 does directinput support pretty much for free so you can expect more games to do it going forward.

Yeah, my 2 biggest ones right now are Momodora 3 and Owlboy. I'll probably just break down and get a xbox one controller for my PC.

Not so stealth edit:

Darkest Dungeon just went on sale for 70% off. I did want to grab that when the sale starts. Should I jump?

Irritated Goat fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 18, 2018

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So I'ma drop in real fast to suggest everyone should at least try to Quake Champions free weekend.

I did as a joke, to see how bad the game was. Instead this feels like Quake. Free, very populated Quake. Yeah the characters have goofy abilities, but they don't stop you from feeling the Quake.

It's less balanced but it's also just honest to god fun to be playing BJ and suddenly yell NOW YOU WITH THE WOLVES SON and pop out dualie rocket launchers and just mulch a few dudes. Especially if you can do it right after a Quad.

I can also see this being really fun once CTF comes in, which sounds like it'll be a few months from now. Since all the characters have different abilities/speeds it's going to be a lot more interesting seeing how the teamplay aspect of it will go.

It feels like a mix between classic Quake and classic UT. It's drat good.

Long as you activate it over the next week you keep it for free, so might as well.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Rookersh posted:

So I'ma drop in real fast to suggest everyone should at least try to Quake Champions free weekend.

I did as a joke, to see how bad the game was. Instead this feels like Quake. Free, very populated Quake. Yeah the characters have goofy abilities, but they don't stop you from feeling the Quake.

It's less balanced but it's also just honest to god fun to be playing BJ and suddenly yell NOW YOU WITH THE WOLVES SON and pop out dualie rocket launchers and just mulch a few dudes. Especially if you can do it right after a Quad.

I can also see this being really fun once CTF comes in, which sounds like it'll be a few months from now. Since all the characters have different abilities/speeds it's going to be a lot more interesting seeing how the teamplay aspect of it will go.

It feels like a mix between classic Quake and classic UT. It's drat good.

Long as you activate it over the next week you keep it for free, so might as well.

How big is the install?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

How big is the install?

17 gigs or so.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Alternatively, don't play it because it still has the netcode from babies first college computer engineering project.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
How are the bots in Quake?

There ARE bots, right?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Oblivion4568238 posted:

Make sure to play the DLC campaign, Burial at Sea, to completely destroy any positive feelings you may still have towards Ken Levine's writing after working through Infinite's story. Oh, and also for a quick visit to pre-fall Rapture and not being limited to two weapons at a time. Those parts of it are actually good.

Can someone spoil this for me? I keep hearing allusions to Burial at Sea being bad, but I haven't seen any details about it.

Also Ni No Kuni 2 is already 40% off. That's pretty tasty.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

GrandpaPants posted:

Can someone spoil this for me? I keep hearing allusions to Burial at Sea being bad, but I haven't seen any details about it.

First person lobotomy

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Orv posted:

Alternatively, don't play it because it still has the netcode from babies first college computer engineering project.

According to one of the Discords I'm in, they fixed that a few months ago.

GrandpaPants posted:

So remember how Bioshock 1 was an allegory about Libertarianism? And how objectivism doesn't really work, and how Ryan and Fontaine are both hosed, etc etc.

Burial At Sea has you play as Elizabeth who goes back in time to Rapture pre fall, where you learn no. Actually Rapture was a utopia and everyone was happy. Ryan was right, it really just was parasites/criminals who were taking advantage of good honest libertarians who wanted a step up quicker and ruining his beautiful city.

The problem wasn't that Rapture was doomed to fail from the start. You simple plebs don't understand, the truth was a MAGICAL GIRL FROM THE FUTURE came back in time and STARTED THE EVENTS OF BIOSHOCK 1. YOU MISUNDERSTOOD BIOSHOCK 1!!!!

Also a bit where like, you get a glimpse of fitzroy ( the anti slaves lady from Infinite ) getting a speech by another major character about how she needs to pretend to be a sociopath because Elizabeth needs to think there are no good people out there. And how she doesn't like doing it, but she will for Elizabeth's sake. Reminder she was the one who killed that crazy factory dudes kid behind a glass mirror while yelling COMMUNISM FOREVER.

Mind you it's since come out Levine is a hardcore Ayn Rand worshipper who didn't intend Bioshock 1 to be a inflection in the way it was, he wanted people to agree with Ryan that the "parasites" are evil. And how he basically was such a perfectionist he near bankrupted 2K making Infinite, and caused them to shut down his studio and fire all those people because he took 6+ years making Infinite, because he didn't want people to misunderstand his message this time, and then took over the DLC to also "fix" Bioshock 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Digirat posted:

I enjoyed binfinite to play it a couple times and think it gets dogpiled overly hard, but it definitely way overreaches what it (and maybe any game?) can reasonably do

It tries to be four things at once: a character story mainly about two people, some sort of social commentary which is an absolute loving minefield to talk about, a whole bunch of quantum/multiple dimension nonsense, and a game where you shoot a lot of people in the face. I feel like it could reasonably do any two of these things at once, an incredible game could do three, and some hypothetical impossible god-game could maybe somehow weave all four together without feeling like any of those elements are muddied or held back by any of the others. Bioshock infinite is not that game and it was dumb of it to try. Should have known its limits. IMO it’s quite a fun shooter and a fantastic-looking game, and the sound is great just like the first two bioshocks. but all the bits where it tries to be more than that really do not work. And those bits are practically a majority of the game.

Yeah, i agree. I think it might be a game that benefits from being spoiled, because to me the ending was great: racism is the original sin which can only be washed away by a good old fashioned closed time loop multi daughter baptism/drowning.

In that context Daisy being nice wouldn't have made sense, because then all you would have needed to do is kill Comstock to make everything right.