Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
snaaaaaaake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

we're just friends

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Waltzing Along posted:

HZD questions.

Is anything missable? Or am I good as long as I do all the sidequests/errands before main missions, like usual.
I'm guessing skillup order doesn't really matter because over time I can unlock everything?
Same with gear upgrades?

My first two upgrades I put into scavenging because the game seems to involve a ton of crafting and I'd rather have more mats in the long run asap.

Nothing is missable in terms of content to experience but there is a Trophy you get for having all possible allies with you for the finale, so you would want to do all sidequests before then to get it.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have been lucky enough to find my old ps3 game case! And since sorting out my ps3 I now have the ability to play through my copies of mgs1 and the mgs hd collection!

Not only that but it looks like I may be moving into a better house soon and will suddenly get lots and lots of gaming time which means I can start working through all these games on my non PS4 backlog including mgs, super mario galaxies, Metroid primes and a few others that I really should have finished :D

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah I really do hope that Death Stranding has little in the way of traditional video game combat. In MGS the military theming meant you couldn't ever get away from it, but here... The only things we've seen so far were the gun and knife that one guy had in the Game Awards teailer

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Videogames if you dont mind me asking, how does moving into a bigger house allow you more game time?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Comes with a hyperbolic gaming chamber

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah I really do hope that Death Stranding has little in the way of traditional video game combat. In MGS the military theming meant you couldn't ever get away from it, but here... The only things we've seen so far were the gun and knife that one guy had in the Game Awards teailer

Uh didnt the main character pull out some transforming scifi rifle during the gameplay trailer

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

CrRoMa posted:

Videogames if you dont mind me asking, how does moving into a bigger house allow you more game time?

I do not mind at all! At the moment I have to travel to Lady VGs place half the time and while she has a PS4 she does not have space for my pc or my other consoles.

The rest of the time I am at my place but doing things that take up my time instead of gaming that are necessitated by being here.

Moving into a bigger place with her gives us that space and removes these responsibilities. :D

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Reportedly Lindsay Wagner doesn't like violent games but he got her interested.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

homeless snail posted:

Comes with a hyperbolic gaming chamber

I once tweeted dudes at easy allies asking if there was a video game hyperbolic time chamber who would your training partner be and what games would you bring. What would your answer be

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You see him unpack and aim a rifle near the end of the e3 trailer.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

I once tweeted dudes at easy allies asking if there was a video game hyperbolic time chamber who would your training partner be and what games would you bring. What would your answer be
Takahashi Meijin and a Hudson Shooting Watch

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

beep by grandpa posted:

I would make everyone speedrun Bloodborne. At the end of the competition I would throw away the results and talk to everyone about the game. I would then choose whoever could dig the deepest into the mechanics + themes + lore and take them with me to play the game.

VideoGames posted:

I do not mind at all! At the moment I have to travel to Lady VGs place half the time and while she has a PS4 she does not have space for my pc or my other consoles.

The rest of the time I am at my place but doing things that take up my time instead of gaming that are necessitated by being here.

Moving into a bigger place with her gives us that space and removes these responsibilities. :D

Living with your SO is the best. Nice!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Agreed, having a roommate you can play video games with and also gently caress does not get much better imho

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

beep posts are what my posts would be if I cut out the bullshit and posted that raw raw real talk

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Pierson posted:

I got Uncharted 4 as a bundle with my PS4 and just remembered I never played it. The HD remasters of 1-3 for £15 look like a pretty good deal, will I appreciate 4 more if I play the first ones? They all seem to be pretty highly-regarded action/adventures.

I played the first three games for the first time like 2 months ago and I'm currently playing Uncharted 4 and honestly I'd skip the first three games no matter how cheap they are. They are just bog-standard run and gun games with bland plot that repeats with certain variations for 3 goddamn games. People disagreed with me but that was my experience going into them with open mind and positive expectations. With that said, I thought I won't like 4 either but holy moly it is such a huge leap[ in graphic fidelity, gameplay smoothness and overall much better directed experience that the first games can't even compare to. Naughty Dog definitely improved a lot thanks to their experience from working on those and The Last of Us, though, and it shows.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Experiencing The Last Of Us for the first time, I'm struck with this weird whiplash of "I am totally 100% invested in the story of Joel and Ellie, I will protect you my sweet babies" and "man this combat section is still going huh? Can we like... move on now?"

The human or zombie combat segments are easily the weakest part for me, and I wish they didn't go on for so long. If other players are able to sneak through the entire thing I certainly don't have the skill for that, and inevitably someone or a zombie sees me and then it becomes a firefight and it just kind of drags. Where I'm at right now I'm currently in a sewer and the section I just did, a horde of zombies basically keeps coming at you and halfway through I was like "okay can we be done with this now".

Luckily the Joel and Ellie story stuff is compelling as gently caress and I love them and their interactions. It's strong enough to carry the game on its own.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

beep posts are what my posts would be if I cut out the bullshit and posted that raw raw real talk

I was at my gf's parents place last weekend showing herc little nieces and nephews my 1996 Sonic OVA dvd because it's a great movie for all ages and teaches important lessons about friendship, perseverance and how badass the final fight between metal sonic and sonic is. Anyway we're gonna have a night to ourselves tomorrow night and my gf runs up to me and is like "tomorrow we're playing sonic and you're going down" and I'm like "...What??" And she repeats that I'm going down in "sonic battle" and "sonic kart" and now I'm really confused like she doesn't know what Sonic Shuffle is on the dreamcast or sonic all-stars racing all she knows is mario kart and mario party so I ask "do you mean Mario party?" And she laughs and she yes and that watching Sonics with me and the kids confused her and we had a good laugh and I kissed her on the forehead and called her silly but deep down I was wondering if I should have let her move in and what future we can have together if she can't even get her sonic games straight because what the hell. Sorry this got ranty I'm still just extremely upset about it right now but I'll be ok.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I think I will stop playing XCom. Hate any timer mechanic, and the game is full of them. Project Avatar, dark events, even many missions are timed to n turns, or the enemy faction gets reinforcements n turns. I am sure many people love to get forced like that, but I dont. gently caress this type of gameplay in a xcom game.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

beep by grandpa posted:

I was at my gf's parents place last weekend showing herc little nieces and nephews my 1996 Sonic OVA dvd because it's a great movie for all ages and teaches important lessons about friendship, perseverance and how badass the final fight between metal sonic and sonic is. Anyway we're gonna have a night to ourselves tomorrow night and my gf runs up to me and is like "tomorrow we're playing sonic and you're going down" and I'm like "...What??" And she repeats that I'm going down in "sonic battle" and "sonic kart" and now I'm really confused like she doesn't know what Sonic Shuffle is on the dreamcast or sonic all-stars racing all she knows is mario kart and mario party so I ask "do you mean Mario party?" And she laughs and she yes and that watching Sonics with me and the kids confused her and we had a good laugh and I kissed her on the forehead and called her silly but deep down I was wondering if I should have let her move in and what future we can have together if she can't even get her sonic games straight because what the hell. Sorry this got ranty I'm still just extremely upset about it right now but I'll be ok.

These challenges only make relationships stronger, friend.

I mean I would be rattled too but still.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

VideoGames posted:

I have no idea what you mean by this but it sounds cool and mysterious

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

https://twitter.com/metalsocks240/status/1007299066601132033?s=19

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

Experiencing The Last Of Us for the first time, I'm struck with this weird whiplash of "I am totally 100% invested in the story of Joel and Ellie, I will protect you my sweet babies" and "man this combat section is still going huh? Can we like... move on now?"

The human or zombie combat segments are easily the weakest part for me, and I wish they didn't go on for so long. If other players are able to sneak through the entire thing I certainly don't have the skill for that, and inevitably someone or a zombie sees me and then it becomes a firefight and it just kind of drags. Where I'm at right now I'm currently in a sewer and the section I just did, a horde of zombies basically keeps coming at you and halfway through I was like "okay can we be done with this now".

Luckily the Joel and Ellie story stuff is compelling as gently caress and I love them and their interactions. It's strong enough to carry the game on its own.

I agree 100% with this. I'm not TOO bad at the stealth but any forced action section, especially the clicker ones, are imo pretty awful.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I know it sounds nuts but if you want the combat to be actually fun you need to play on at least survivor difficulty. I had little appreciation for it until I played that and grounded and I absolutely love the combat in TLOU.

Overall, bricks are your best friend. Bash everyone with them. They are everywhere and destroy. Don't worry about killing every clicker you see. distract and avoid them. Save your shivs to defend yourself if they grab you.

During human encounters, stealth as much as you can but don't restart if you get caught. The game isn't about perfect stealth. Stealth is just to thin the herd. Thats when you start whacking people with fists bricks and boards.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Only the sniper section and school are bad in TLoU, IMHO. You can usually avoid or run past encounters if you really hate the combat for some reason.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tei posted:

I think I will stop playing XCom. Hate any timer mechanic, and the game is full of them. Project Avatar, dark events, even many missions are timed to n turns, or the enemy faction gets reinforcements n turns. I am sure many people love to get forced like that, but I dont. gently caress this type of gameplay in a xcom game.

The timed missions where you have to reach an evac point, do not actually require you to kill everything. You can book it to the evac point and ignore reinforcements if you're close enough to the Skyranger.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Renoistic posted:

Only the sniper section and school are bad in TLoU, IMHO.

Yup lol. I was doing a grounded run a couple months ago and I finished the school but it's insane. I forgot how loving hard that was.Everything about it is an absolute bitch. And then I gave it an extended break after getting stuck on the latter part you mentioned. Those two parts on grounded are some of the hardest poo poo I've ever done in a game.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

homeless snail posted:

MGS3 is pretty good but check this out: Peace Walker MGS2

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

veni veni veni posted:

I know it sounds nuts but if you want the combat to be actually fun you need to play on at least survivor difficulty. I had little appreciation for it until I played that and grounded and I absolutely love the combat in TLOU.

Overall, bricks are your best friend. Bash everyone with them. They are everywhere and destroy. Don't worry about killing every clicker you see. distract and avoid them. Save your shivs to defend yourself if they grab you.

During human encounters, stealth as much as you can but don't restart if you get caught. The game isn't about perfect stealth. Stealth is just to thin the herd. Thats when you start whacking people with fists bricks and boards.

I don't think making the game harder will solve my problem with the combat sections lol

The story stuff is very very good though

edit: And for the record I don't hate the combat itself, the shooting feels good, takedowns feel good, shiving people feels good, it all FEELS fine. Setting people on fire or blasting a group with the bombs is heckin fun. Those sections just take longer than I'd like and I get bored of them the more they go and want to get back to the story parts

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 18, 2018

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

I don't think making the game harder will solve my problem with the combat sections lol

yeah no offence veni but that's sort of the worst advice you could give

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

MGS2 gets major props for the uncannily prescient GW codec call and the anecdote about the melting ice, but is the rest of it really that amazing? Those are the only two things I ever hear people bring up about it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Renoistic posted:

Only the sniper section and school are bad in TLoU, IMHO. You can usually avoid or run past encounters if you really hate the combat for some reason.

Sniper is the best part of the game cause its not a loving sewer hallway

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The soundtrack is really good
The introduction of HF.blades which will reach its apotheosis in MGR
The whole opening act
You can do pullups to build your grip meter

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Macaluso posted:

The story stuff is very very good though

edit: And for the record I don't hate the combat itself, the shooting feels good, takedowns feel good, shiving people feels good, it all FEELS fine. Setting people on fire or blasting a group with the bombs is heckin fun. Those sections just take longer than I'd like and I get bored of them the more they go and want to get back to the story parts

As someone who didn't like the combat on my first playthrough and has played the game 4 times now, I disagree. I genuinely believe that it's more frustrating on normal because it'll mostly let you brute force your way though without actually getting good at the game. The harder modes are really well crafted. I honestly found my second playthrough on survivor much easier than when I played on normal because it made me so much better at the game.

Imho it's transformative to the experience and makes the gameplay much more in line with the atmosphere. It feels way more tense and something to respect, rather than try to rush though to get to the next cutscene. I genuinely believe normal difficulty does the game a disservice and makes the gameplay feel much crappier than it actually is.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

TLOU is a game that "plays better" on Survivor/Grounded but would also probably be immensely frustrating if you didn't already know what was coming.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

haveblue posted:

MGS2 gets major props for the uncannily prescient GW codec call and the anecdote about the melting ice, but is the rest of it really that amazing? Those are the only two things I ever hear people bring up about it.

Yes it is

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

haveblue posted:

No one told you about Fatman?

Or the bisexual vampire named Vamp, who is in fact not named Vamp because he is a vampire, but instead named Vamp because he is bisexual?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

haveblue posted:

I mean, by and large, it's an incredibly good game just as a game, and the prescient codec call is great, but more than that, I think its greatest strength is being commentary on sequels. Both literally and figuratively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Tei posted:

The in-mission timers are generally pretty generous, the big thing there is they prevent you from overwatch creeping. Which is actually needed, because that isn't a fun way to play the game.