Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Clark Nova posted:

Are you sure it’s a good idea to port into Verizon with a phone that doesn’t support band 13? My model doesn’t have that band and everything I’ve been reading makes it sound like that’s the main (and in most places only) LTE band for Verizon.

The SE is weird and has several models for different carriers unlike other current iPhones

Not completely sure, I thought all iPhone SE’s have the same band. So I could be wrong on that.

On a plus side, I thought the new updates to unlimited that I saw they were getting rid of the data tiered plans (2GB, 4GB etc). Happy to say that isn’t the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

There is a slight difference

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

JFC Verizon, it's "go above and beyond," not "go beyond and above."

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kitten smoothie posted:

JFC Verizon, it's "go above and beyond," not "go beyond and above."

Yeah the branding isn’t exactly the best.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Chat rep was willing to switch my partner's multi-line plan from XL to the February Unlimited plan. They already had four people on and the 16GB wasn't enough (plus I wanted on) and it ended up only being $10 more after the discount for autopay and ebilling, and it's 22GB per line with deprioritization instead of safety mode. No brainer upgrade, and I'll get added for an extra $20 instead of the extra $50 an extra line would be on Beyond Unlimited which is also 22GB before deprioritization.

I don't know how lucky I was getting that plan since it is supposedly grandfathered, but it is still doable, and maybe it will be less doable as soon as tomorrow since the new $60/line plan will make the February Unlimited plan one more generation ago old. So get it while the getting is good.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sub Rosa posted:

Chat rep was willing to switch my partner's multi-line plan from XL to the February Unlimited plan. They already had four people on and the 16GB wasn't enough (plus I wanted on) and it ended up only being $10 more after the discount for autopay and ebilling, and it's 22GB per line with deprioritization instead of safety mode. No brainer upgrade, and I'll get added for an extra $20 instead of the extra $50 an extra line would be on Beyond Unlimited which is also 22GB before deprioritization.

I don't know how lucky I was getting that plan since it is supposedly grandfathered, but it is still doable, and maybe it will be less doable as soon as tomorrow since the new $60/line plan will make the February Unlimited plan one more generation ago old. So get it while the getting is good.

You were extremely lucky getting that plan, as it’s not in the system to switch to as an option.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

You were extremely lucky getting that plan, as it’s not in the system to switch to as an option.
In store reps don't have it, but I found numerous reports of chat doing it for people in the last week. I thought maybe it was just people who were on tiered data plans like L or XL like my friend was, but found one report of someone switching from Go Unlimited to it.

I actually had to go back to chat again to have them make the change be immediate instead of at the billing cycle date because the in store rep couldn't add a line with the changes pending, and neither she nor her phone support had it available to switch to so couldn't move it up. Chat did it no sweat.

So again, anyone who wants to try for it, try chat.

Edit: also getting my friend a $150 mastercard since I brought my own device and ported in a number. That promotion seems good until the end of the month.

Sub Rosa fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 17, 2018

tngffl
May 6, 2008
What is the name of the February unlimited plan out of curiosity? I ask as I just switched our plan to unlimited coming from the 12GB plan and was able to get on an unlimited plan that is not go or beyond.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

tngffl posted:

What is the name of the February unlimited plan out of curiosity? I ask as I just switched our plan to unlimited coming from the 12GB plan and was able to get on an unlimited plan that is not go or beyond.

It’s call the new Verizon unlimited. It has a base rate of $110, then $20 per phone, so if you manage to get it that’s how you would know.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Yeah, I asked for "The New Verizon Plan Unlimited"

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Hey Duckman,

If I were to track down one of those cheap Moto E4 prepaid phones and SIM unlock it with the code (provided I can find one with the right IMEI/MEID), would I be able to use that on one of my regular post-paid lines, or would the system see it and freak out?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AlexDeGruven posted:

Hey Duckman,

If I were to track down one of those cheap Moto E4 prepaid phones and SIM unlock it with the code (provided I can find one with the right IMEI/MEID), would I be able to use that on one of my regular post-paid lines, or would the system see it and freak out?

You don’t really unlock it with a code, they unlock after activation on one month prepaid service. So in theory, if a phone is $100, cheapest plan is $30, you buy phone and service for $100 + $30 = $130, make a phone call, should be eligible.

I’ll be honest, I still have yet to really test the system thoroughly because if it doesn’t work, I can’t refund it.

I did have someone switch a prepaid over to postpaid after using it for 2 weeks, and with a different number, so I think it should work fine. But I can’t guarantee it.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

You don’t really unlock it with a code, they unlock after activation on one month prepaid service. So in theory, if a phone is $100, cheapest plan is $30, you buy phone and service for $100 + $30 = $130, make a phone call, should be eligible.

I’ll be honest, I still have yet to really test the system thoroughly because if it doesn’t work, I can’t refund it.

I did have someone switch a prepaid over to postpaid after using it for 2 weeks, and with a different number, so I think it should work fine. But I can’t guarantee it.

Hmm, ok. And I couldn't just pop the existing SIM in the phone without it freaking out, I imagine because the IMEI/MEID will be tagged in the system.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AlexDeGruven posted:

Hmm, ok. And I couldn't just pop the existing SIM in the phone without it freaking out, I imagine because the IMEI/MEID will be tagged in the system.

Yeah, those phones likely won’t work without first having a month of prepaid service.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

Duckman is a nice dude who talked me off the Verizon hate ledge, answered my dumb questions and suggested a plan I am happy with, then fixed my account when the local store rep couldn't give me the plan I wanted. A+++ would work with again.

tngffl
May 6, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

It’s call the new Verizon unlimited. It has a base rate of $110, then $20 per phone, so if you manage to get it that’s how you would know.

That is what I have!! Thanks!!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Maerlyn posted:

Duckman is a nice dude who talked me off the Verizon hate ledge, answered my dumb questions and suggested a plan I am happy with, then fixed my account when the local store rep couldn't give me the plan I wanted. A+++ would work with again.

Appreciate the feedback. And yeah, no idea why said local person couldn’t / wouldn’t give you that plan. It pays more in commission, so I’m assuming said person was just not smart I guess. Took me 2 mins to fix.

tngffl posted:

That is what I have!! Thanks!!

Hooray!

Shadokin
Mar 6, 2004
I swapped to the 22gb before depriortization unlimited plan when it first became available and had never been deprioritized despite routinely hitting 40gb or more a month. That all changed this month. I honestly thought something was broken with my phone until i realized what was going on. During the day light i get between 20kbs and 200kbs typically. Im traveling on i40 from california to georgia every week and it doesnt matter where im at. Basically as soon as its day light i get throttled, whether its bum gently caress egypt or atlanta. Exact same location at night will have normal lte speeds. During the day its almost unusable too merely okay.

So either I have been incredibly lucky since swapping or now that they have a higher tier plan they are throttling you too hell and back too encourage upping plans.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shadokin posted:

I swapped to the 22gb before depriortization unlimited plan when it first became available and had never been deprioritized despite routinely hitting 40gb or more a month. That all changed this month. I honestly thought something was broken with my phone until i realized what was going on. During the day light i get between 20kbs and 200kbs typically. Im traveling on i40 from california to georgia every week and it doesnt matter where im at. Basically as soon as its day light i get throttled, whether its bum gently caress egypt or atlanta. Exact same location at night will have normal lte speeds. During the day its almost unusable too merely okay.

So either I have been incredibly lucky since swapping or now that they have a higher tier plan they are throttling you too hell and back too encourage upping plans.

Honestly , no idea. I haven’t had people come in complaining yet, but the changes are new. I never hit 22GB. The one person on my plan usually crushes through 22GB, but she isn’t using her data this month for some reason so I can’t ask her.

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

Duckman2008 posted:

Phones do have to be Verizon CDMA compatible unfortunately.

Well, not quite. I ran a ZTE Axon 7 for a year on Verizon without problems. On my account it showed "unauthorized device" but I never had any trouble from Verizon because of it. If I had to call and make changes to my account I had to move my sim into a Verizon phone before I could make changes, but I kept an old iPhone around for this. Some of the downsides were no advanced calling (VoLTE) so my calls sounded like rear end compaired to the much nicer sound of the VoLTE and the afore mentioned putting my sim in another phone when I needed to talk to Verizon. If the phone has CDMA bands 0 and 1, and you have an already activated sim, it will work. There were people running one of the OnePlus (OnePlus 3 iirc) phones on Verizon. It worked great for data because it had the neccesary LTE bands, but only had one of the CDMA bands so wouldnt work well for calls in most areas. Funny enough, I had a Motorola G4 I got from Amazon unlocked, and in my verizon account it said non-vzw device vs the unauthorized device tag I had with the Axon. Says the same thing with my Google purchased Pixel 2.

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

AlexDeGruven posted:

Hey Duckman,

I don't know if they've locked it down yet or not, but one thing you used to be able to do was insert a activated Verizon postpaid account sim into a prepaid phone BEFORE you powered it up for the first time and it would prevent the prepaid usage requirement from the phone. I think they've uped that to 6 months now vs. the one month it used to be.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

uli2000 posted:

Well, not quite. I ran a ZTE Axon 7 for a year on Verizon without problems. On my account it showed "unauthorized device" but I never had any trouble from Verizon because of it. If I had to call and make changes to my account I had to move my sim into a Verizon phone before I could make changes, but I kept an old iPhone around for this. Some of the downsides were no advanced calling (VoLTE) so my calls sounded like rear end compaired to the much nicer sound of the VoLTE and the afore mentioned putting my sim in another phone when I needed to talk to Verizon. If the phone has CDMA bands 0 and 1, and you have an already activated sim, it will work. There were people running one of the OnePlus (OnePlus 3 iirc) phones on Verizon. It worked great for data because it had the neccesary LTE bands, but only had one of the CDMA bands so wouldnt work well for calls in most areas. Funny enough, I had a Motorola G4 I got from Amazon unlocked, and in my verizon account it said non-vzw device vs the unauthorized device tag I had with the Axon. Says the same thing with my Google purchased Pixel 2.

Some makers, Motorola and Google being two primary ones, work with Verizon and I assume Give them a list of IMEI ‘s of their unlocked phones that are compatible with Verizon. So non-Vzw when it comes up in Verizon’s system means that it is recognized and Verizon is saying it should work fine. It also means they can fully self program on their own.

So yeah, I guess you can pop in active SIMs to a phone like the Axiom like you described , but I still wouldn’t think it’s a great idea long term.

uli2000 posted:

I don't know if they've locked it down yet or not, but one thing you used to be able to do was insert a activated Verizon postpaid account sim into a prepaid phone BEFORE you powered it up for the first time and it would prevent the prepaid usage requirement from the phone. I think they've uped that to 6 months now vs. the one month it used to be.

I’ll try and remember to check the official policy on this today.

It’s always a weird one because anything on post paid I have no problem trying and seeing if it works, because if it doesn’t we just cancel it. But prepaid once that payment is paid, it’s not refundable , so everyone is always way more cautious around that.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

Some makers, Motorola and Google being two primary ones, work with Verizon and I assume Give them a list of IMEI ‘s of their unlocked phones that are compatible with Verizon. So non-Vzw when it comes up in Verizon’s system means that it is recognized and Verizon is saying it should work fine. It also means they can fully self program on their own.

In December I bought a Pixel 2 directly from Google. For about two weeks it showed up as "unrecognized device" or something to that effect, then became "Pixel 2 non-VZW." I imagine Google sends a big pile of IMEIs over from every production batch, and there was a delay in either Google sending them or in Verizon loading them into the system.

I feel like my line must be provisioned weirdly from then though, because any time I make a change to my account that would require a text confirmation code, the Pixel line isn't on the list of numbers to send the SMS. The other two lines on my account are unlocked iPhones purchased directly from Apple, and both of those lines are choices, but not the Pixel line.

Is there something I can ask customer service to do to fix this? I don't run into this often, but when I did, it was really annoying to have to call my wife at work and ask her what code she just got.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kitten smoothie posted:

In December I bought a Pixel 2 directly from Google. For about two weeks it showed up as "unrecognized device" or something to that effect, then became "Pixel 2 non-VZW." I imagine Google sends a big pile of IMEIs over from every production batch, and there was a delay in either Google sending them or in Verizon loading them into the system.

I feel like my line must be provisioned weirdly from then though, because any time I make a change to my account that would require a text confirmation code, the Pixel line isn't on the list of numbers to send the SMS. The other two lines on my account are unlocked iPhones purchased directly from Apple, and both of those lines are choices, but not the Pixel line.

Is there something I can ask customer service to do to fix this? I don't run into this often, but when I did, it was really annoying to have to call my wife at work and ask her what code she just got.

It might be a simple go by store, have SIM card swapped and IMEI updated. After that I wouldn’t know on that one, it would be question for Care at that point.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I just found out that at home I can basically only receive calls reliably if LTE VOICE is turned on in my iPhone’s settings. I can make outgoing calls but there is sometimes this weird delay that takes like 10 seconds before it starts ringing, sometimes it just gets stuck displaying “calling mobile” and not ringing. Again turning on Voice over LTE seems to fix the problem.

Maybe the tower is overloaded nearby?

These calls “silently fail” and the only evidence that there ever was a call is only if someone leaves a voicemail.

Does LTE voice drain the battery on a phone like a 6S+?

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 26, 2018

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

My brother and I are on the older $110/month unlimited plan. Is there any reason why we wouldn't want to switch to one of the newer plans?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

duck trucker posted:

My brother and I are on the older $110/month unlimited plan. Is there any reason why we wouldn't want to switch to one of the newer plans?

The $110 plan is basically the same as Beyond Unlimited but $20 cheaper with two people. You could save ten bucks switching to GoUnlimited but then you would be deprioritized immediately instead of after 22 gigs.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

duck trucker posted:

Unless you have a military discount stay on your current one.

General FYI, they’re adding to the military discount, it’s something like $15 off one like, $25 off two, etc. stops discounting off lines 4+.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So speaking of the military discount...I don’t currently have Verizon.

I just switched to T-mobiles military plan which is $55/month unlimited everything , and then I can add a line for 10 or 15 bucks and get free Netflix as well.

Can the new military discount for Verizon compete with this?

T-mobile is fine where I’m at right now, but we’ll be moving in a year so we may have to switch, which is why I’m asking.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nwin posted:

So speaking of the military discount...I don’t currently have Verizon.

I just switched to T-mobiles military plan which is $55/month unlimited everything , and then I can add a line for 10 or 15 bucks and get free Netflix as well.

Can the new military discount for Verizon compete with this?

T-mobile is fine where I’m at right now, but we’ll be moving in a year so we may have to switch, which is why I’m asking.

How many lines do you have?

Verizon Unlimited is
$75 for one
$65+$65 for 2
$50*3 for 3
$40 * 4 for 4

Military discount now offers:
$15 off one line
$30 off 2
$35 off 3 or more.

So like, 3 lines is $50 * 3 = $150 , then subtract $35 = $115.

All quotes with auto pay.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Duckman2008 posted:

How many lines do you have?

Verizon Unlimited is
$75 for one
$65+$65 for 2
$50*3 for 3
$40 * 4 for 4

Military discount now offers:
$15 off one line
$30 off 2
$35 off 3 or more.

So like, 3 lines is $50 * 3 = $150 , then subtract $35 = $115.

All quotes with auto pay.

Ah ok. I have one line right now but will be adding a second in a few months. So it looks like it’d be $100 plus taxes for Verizon or 65 for T-mobile. Thanks!

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
OK so for the first time in a long time, I've gone over my 3Gb data cap. I have an old Medium plan. We have 2 people and mostly use wi-fi, but it seems more and more things like to hog data (pre-loading/auto-playing video ads, etc.). Also I travel for work occasionally, so I often don't have wi-fi available.

With work travel, I tether my laptop a lot. One thing I noticed is that the new "unlimited" plans have tethering restrictions. It's slow enough as it is, I have no interest in waiting 20 minutes to send an e-mail at the end of a work day when I'm trying to get out of a noisy factory.

I also don't like all the other restrictions they place on the unlimited plans...seems like they're basically exchanging data caps for speed caps. And as I recall, they changed their strategy from the once common "throttle high users" to a now common "throttle everyone" when the network is experiencing high usage. I guess I would rather pay for more data than be subject to speed restrictions.

So, how do I get a little bit more data without running in to these speed restrictions? Looks like the "new" M plan has 4 GB for $5 more a month. Claims I get to "hang on to Mobile Hotspot" but is that with any restrictions? Are these speed restrictions only on the Unlimited plans, or do they affect the shared data plans as well?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DaveSauce posted:

OK so for the first time in a long time, I've gone over my 3Gb data cap. I have an old Medium plan. We have 2 people and mostly use wi-fi, but it seems more and more things like to hog data (pre-loading/auto-playing video ads, etc.). Also I travel for work occasionally, so I often don't have wi-fi available.

With work travel, I tether my laptop a lot. One thing I noticed is that the new "unlimited" plans have tethering restrictions. It's slow enough as it is, I have no interest in waiting 20 minutes to send an e-mail at the end of a work day when I'm trying to get out of a noisy factory.

I also don't like all the other restrictions they place on the unlimited plans...seems like they're basically exchanging data caps for speed caps. And as I recall, they changed their strategy from the once common "throttle high users" to a now common "throttle everyone" when the network is experiencing high usage. I guess I would rather pay for more data than be subject to speed restrictions.

So, how do I get a little bit more data without running in to these speed restrictions? Looks like the "new" M plan has 4 GB for $5 more a month. Claims I get to "hang on to Mobile Hotspot" but is that with any restrictions? Are these speed restrictions only on the Unlimited plans, or do they affect the shared data plans as well?

Good questions, and you’re pretty much right on the nose of speed restrictions.

Anyway, unlimited is a big jump in price from your plan anyway. All the data based plans don’t have restrictions on them, because you just burn through the data so it isn’t a big deal on Verizon’s end. So think of it as you are paying for 4GB of unrestricted data.

The 4GB plan will include hotspot like you have now, it’ll also give you carry over so unused data moves over for a month (and only a month). If you get a work discount, it applies to the 4GB plan. FYI once you switch you can’t go back to 3GB, it isn’t a current plan.

You plan is $45 for 3GB, new plans are

$50 for 4GB
$70 for 8GB

Work discounts do apply to both.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Got it, thanks! That's what I thought I just wanted to be sure.

So is there anything else worth getting on the new M plan? I just did the math and if I have a data overage once every 3 months, I'm paying the same amount of money as getting a plan with that extra data. Generally we're sitting at around 2.5GB, sometimes a bit more. Thinking I'll just wait to see if this becomes a regular thing or if it was a one-time deal.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

I’ll try and remember to check the official policy on this today.

It’s always a weird one because anything on post paid I have no problem trying and seeing if it works, because if it doesn’t we just cancel it. But prepaid once that payment is paid, it’s not refundable , so everyone is always way more cautious around that.

We get anywhere with this? My oldest is a dumbass who has now lost his phone and I need a stopgap until I get the Pixel 3.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Any downside to buying a phone through target? I saw that they were giving $100 giftcards with the purchase of iphone 8 or x.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

laxbro posted:

Any downside to buying a phone through target? I saw that they were giving $100 giftcards with the purchase of iphone 8 or x.

Should be the same price and plan otherwise, so should be fine.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

If I do the phone BOGO, are there issues with me turning around and selling the extra phone?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Butts posted:

If I do the phone BOGO, are there issues with me turning around and selling the extra phone?

BOGO requires an extra line of service for 24 months, so I would say yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Is there a VoLTE flip phone that's better than any other? As much as I'd like to get my elderly mother in law a smartphone I think that would be an absolutely terrible idea for all parties involved.