Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It’s was just mostly a waste of Sigourney. I like Matt actually caring about the villain, that last scene where he stays with her was nice even if Electra isn’t that great of a character. They should cut the episodes down but they obviously don’t want to. I wonder if it’s because they want episodes for syndication? Who knows cause Netflix has a lot of shows that have a weirdass episode numbers for seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Probably every marvel season would be significantly better if it was 2-3 episodes shorter.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

dont even fink about it posted:

DD S1 spends literally half the season following Kingpin around, who is not nearly as interesting as the writers think he is

I stopped reading right there because that's some bullshit and Vincent D'Onofrio loving crushes every god drat scene he's in. His performance single handedly elevated the entire series from good to great.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

BiggerBoat posted:

I stopped reading right there because that's some bullshit and Vincent D'Onofrio loving crushes every god drat scene he's in. His performance single handedly elevated the entire series from good to great.

:same:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I actually kinda liked the first half of Defenders with the Defenders all meeting up. But the Hand sucked so much.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
This thread is a 100% renewable source of hyperbole.

Aphrodite posted:

That's true, that is seemingly the only word you know.
:proof:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 16, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's true, that is seemingly the only word you know.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

His performance is great but the characterisation could often be broad. Those flashback scenes to his homelife in season 1 were weak.

D'Onofrio is very, very good though, particularly in Season Two.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
While we're talkin about him again I wanna point out that Kingpin is not the first Marvel character he's played...kinda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rnTpR4M1ZI

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

This thread is full of hyperbole about Iron Fist.

never change, hyperbole squad.

/nohyperbolezone

*hyperbolic statement*

All goon posting is hyperbole.

This thread is a 100% renewable source of hyperbole.
Hyperbole.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ladies, Gentlemen please

Hyper Bowl

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Get hype for hyperbole

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Hyper bowl mvp right there

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
My job here is done, until the next time people start hyperfocusing on "not enough fighting/the fighting is BAD/not enough like the comics/not realistic enough/it's proper shite, cor blimey!"

Of course there'll be a next time. All of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again.

\/\/\/\/ Please stop I need to sleep at some point please let me sleep...

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 16, 2018

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

My job here is done, until the next time people start hyperfocusing on "not enough fighting/the fighting is BAD/not enough like the comics/not realistic enough/it's proper shite, cor blimey!"

Of course there'll be a next time. All of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again.

Did you see how many cuts they made in the fight scene during the promo they just released?

And that was probably above average for the new series, since they thought it was good enough to get people hype. Fighting is going to be bad.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

KPC_Mammon posted:

Did you see how many cuts they made in the fight scene during the promo they just released?

And that was probably above average for the new series, since they thought it was good enough to get people hype. Fighting is going to be bad.

bitter disappointment too, there was such fantastic fight choreography to start off with and then blllllllpppppp.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

\/\/\/\/ Please stop I need to sleep at some point please let me sleep...

You're being a bit hyperbolic here, Captain.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I chose not to beat on that dead horse since it's a problem in the movies as much as the TV shows.

Thinking back, the only actor I can recently recall not needing a ton of cuts was Danai Gurira (Okoye & Michonne) showing off her staff skills in a steady medium shot early on in Black Panther. Hopefully there are others beyond whoever does the stuntwork in the Daredevil suit.

But dead horse beating, so best to just not dwell.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

BiggerBoat posted:

You're being a bit hyperbolic here, Captain.

I'm leaning into it a bit, yes.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
My review of JJS2 is that I watched season 1 in 3 days and season 2 in 3 months. It picked up a bit towards the end but it's amazing how meh I am on Marvel Netflix now compared to how hyped I was a couple years ago. Luke Cage S2 may be where I tap out.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I'm more enthused by DC TV going in the opposite direction and making extremely cheesy 90's television.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Andrigaar posted:

Thinking back, the only actor I can recently recall not needing a ton of cuts was Danai Gurira (Okoye & Michonne) showing off her staff skills in a steady medium shot early on in Black Panther.

Danai is amazing and deserves better than TWD.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Quote-Unquote posted:

I'm rewatching Iron Fist for some reason and I feel like I at least somewhat enjoy pretty much everything except Danny.

The Meachums are great, Colleen is good, the backstory with Madam Gao and the Rands is interesting, Davos is kind of cool, Claire is... there. It's just that Danny is a black hole of charisma and his fight scenes are bad. It really struck me when he's at the compound with Bakuto and they're both doing the form poses (or whatever they're called), and Danny just seems completely graceless compared to Bakuto.

Yeah, no joke, I feel like I would have enjoyed Iron Fist at least ten fold better if it wasn't for Danny. I mean, I'm normally cool with the pure-hearted, naive protagonist trope, but there's something about both the actor and the way he's written that makes me root for The Hand.

That show just happens to be lucky that Colleen is hot. <3

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Wait is Luke Cage 2 not out yet? How does everyone hate it already? Is it out in some countries or something?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

kater posted:

Wait is Luke Cage 2 not out yet? How does everyone hate it already? Is it out in some countries or something?

It's mostly fatigue.
Not everyone is looking forward to season 9 of the Netflix's Marvel-series.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
A great way to postpone or even eliminate media fatigue is to give things a rest, maybe go outside.

I can't believe I just had to recommend going outside, look what I've become. I'm a monster.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

A great way to postpone or even eliminate media fatigue is to give things a rest, maybe go outside.

I can't believe I just had to recommend going outside, look what I've become. I'm a monster.

Then you'll be behind for season 10 in late summer and 11 in early fall and 12 in midfall and 13 in late fall and 14 in

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Sounds like hyperbole.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Marvel TV has been pretty bad

I enjoyed Daredevil and Punisher, kinda

The rest has been Pretty Bad

Luke Cage had good...elements. But most of it wasn't great

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

homullus posted:

Sounds like hyperbole.

We're all monsters here.

Saint Freak posted:

Then you'll be behind for season 10 in late summer and 11 in early fall and 12 in midfall and 13 in late fall and 14 in

Good po]bt.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I enjoy the Luke Cage character and the actor a lot so I'm going to watch season 2, but I am 100% on board with the general feeling of Netflix Marvel fatigue and I think they'd do themselves a real service dropping to 10 episode seasons, even 8 is fine if they're strong episodes. Going 13 just for the sake of it is really a bad look and leads to obvious filler content.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I still don't think 13 episodes is the actual problem but whatever

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Arist posted:

It's not the only problem but it's definitely A problem

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Arist posted:

You don't understand, there's only so much writing juice in the world. It's not possible to write 13 good episodes in a row, due to rationing.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

homullus posted:

You don't understand, there's only so much writing juice in the world. It's not possible to write 13 good episodes in a row, due to rationing.

Based on a sample of all the Marvel-Netflix seasons, this appears to be true.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

By that logic since Damon Lindelof can never pull off a full TV season without some bad episodes that drag but still manages to have many real good episodes, his movie writing credits must be amazing.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
13 hours of captivating TV is kind of hard to do

You also dilute the budget over more episodes so

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Zzulu posted:

13 hours of captivating TV is kind of hard to do

You also dilute the budget over more episodes so

TV budgets are generally per-episode.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Wamsutta posted:

I enjoy the Luke Cage character and the actor a lot

How. Dude could not act his way out of a paper bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Arist posted:

TV budgets are generally per-episode.

Sure, but they’re not all equally budgeted