Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captn Kurp
Oct 21, 2013

:bravo2:
I'm studying for my CCNA and I've got a couple questions that crop up throughout my studying and use of GNS3 that I occasionally cannot find answers to. Would anyone be open answering questions about CCNA/GNS3? I'd greatly appreciate it!

Add me on Discord if you're interested: CaptainKurp#1527

I appreciate all the resources this thread provides, I've had pretty smooth sailing taking these certification exams so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Captn Kurp posted:

I'm studying for my CCNA and I've got a couple questions that crop up throughout my studying and use of GNS3 that I occasionally cannot find answers to. Would anyone be open answering questions about CCNA/GNS3? I'd greatly appreciate it!

Add me on Discord if you're interested: CaptainKurp#1527

I appreciate all the resources this thread provides, I've had pretty smooth sailing taking these certification exams so far.

You should just post them here, so other people can learn from them.

Captn Kurp
Oct 21, 2013

:bravo2:

rafikki posted:

You should just post them here, so other people can learn from them.

Ok, I'll give that a go. I've been playing with GNS3 and I can see the packets from pings when I do it from a host to a router but when I ping router to router I don't see any packets on Wireshark. I've checked the configuration and I don't see anything wrong with it (as far as I'm aware, I've only been doing this a week) but the pings are successful but nothing is showing up on Wireshark, is that normal or is it misconfigured?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Anyone have any AWS certifications?

I'm thinking without a CS degree this is my best chance at getting a developer/devops job

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Head on over to https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3791735

If my LinkedIn inbox is anything to go by, knowing cloud stuff is a license to print money at the moment. The problem is that it's all consultancies and gently caress that.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Oh nice, I didn't know there was an AWS thread. Though I should have expected one. Thanks!

I'm expecting to sit for the SysOp Associate exam by the end of July.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
I have all the AWS Associate exams; should probably get off my butt and work on the Professional ones while my acloud.guru account is still active. Didn’t think they were terrible; not the most cleanly written, but that’s an issue with lots of vendor carts. Mostly used acloud.guru and Linux Academy to prep (and actually working with AWS)

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Is there a reason for acquiring all of the Associate exams before moving onto the Professional tiers?

I've been messing around with the free tier for a few weeks and I definitely agree that hands-on experience seems entirely necessary to understand the fundamentals and the myriad of services.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Two months into OSCP.

24 root shells
3 low-priv shells
1 secondary network unlocked

So far I still feel so clueless, and yet I seem to be making good progress in the labs while trying to avoid the use of Metasploit. It's a very strange process. The course materials only give you maybe 10% of what you need to know and they give you small tastes of what's possible, then you're forced to go down enormous rabbit holes of study and dead ends. I'm now re-reading The Web Application Hacker's Handbook. It's kinda outdated but the fundamentals and methodology are sound. Havent yet gotten to the point where I need to start doing tunneling and port redirection in order to pivot into other networks. Or maybe I have and I'm too clueless to see it.

Stuff I use every day:

Exploit-DB
http://www.exploit-db.com/

HashKiller
https://www.hashkiller.co.uk/md5-decrypter.aspx

Basic Linux PrivEsc
http://blog.g0tmi1k.com/2011/08/basic-linux-privilege-escalation/

Windows PrivEsc Fundamentals
http://www.fuzzysecurity.com/tutorials/16.html

IppSec YouTube - He does HackTheBox walkthroughs on retired machines. Explains his thought processes well.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa6eh7gCkpPo5XXUDfygQQA

Overall I think I spent way too much time obsessing over checking off boxes on various OSCP prep blog posts (https://www.abatchy.com/2017/03/how-to-prepare-for-pwkoscp-noob) and delaying when the best way for me to learn is to be forced to. If you think you're decently competent and want to get into penetration testing, just sign up. It's not particularly expensive. Worst case you learn a ton and fail the exam, which is what I plan on doing multiple times.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Heartcatch posted:

Is there a reason for acquiring all of the Associate exams before moving onto the Professional tiers?

I've been messing around with the free tier for a few weeks and I definitely agree that hands-on experience seems entirely necessary to understand the fundamentals and the myriad of services.

Mostly to get the breadth of knowledge needed for the Professional-level certs. While Solutions Architect Associate is the easiest of the AWS certs (except maybe AWS Cloud Practitioner), Solutions Architect Professional is said to be the hardest, so the progression I've seen recommended is Solutions Architect-Associate, Developer - Associate, SysOps Administrator - Associate, DevOps Engineer - Professional, Solutions Architect - Professional.

edit: Here's A Cloud Guru's take on it which they reiterate in most of their classes as one of the lectures which is why I remember it.

fordan fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 14, 2018

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Diva Cupcake posted:

Two months into OSCP.

24 root shells
3 low-priv shells
1 secondary network unlocked

So far I still feel so clueless, and yet I seem to be making good progress in the labs while trying to avoid the use of Metasploit. It's a very strange process. The course materials only give you maybe 10% of what you need to know and they give you small tastes of what's possible, then you're forced to go down enormous rabbit holes of study and dead ends. I'm now re-reading The Web Application Hacker's Handbook. It's kinda outdated but the fundamentals and methodology are sound. Havent yet gotten to the point where I need to start doing tunneling and port redirection in order to pivot into other networks. Or maybe I have and I'm too clueless to see it.

Stuff I use every day:

Exploit-DB
http://www.exploit-db.com/

HashKiller
https://www.hashkiller.co.uk/md5-decrypter.aspx

Basic Linux PrivEsc
http://blog.g0tmi1k.com/2011/08/basic-linux-privilege-escalation/

Windows PrivEsc Fundamentals
http://www.fuzzysecurity.com/tutorials/16.html

IppSec YouTube - He does HackTheBox walkthroughs on retired machines. Explains his thought processes well.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa6eh7gCkpPo5XXUDfygQQA

Overall I think I spent way too much time obsessing over checking off boxes on various OSCP prep blog posts (https://www.abatchy.com/2017/03/how-to-prepare-for-pwkoscp-noob) and delaying when the best way for me to learn is to be forced to. If you think you're decently competent and want to get into penetration testing, just sign up. It's not particularly expensive. Worst case you learn a ton and fail the exam, which is what I plan on doing multiple times.

I will be taking a GSEC 504 course this month, then trying to get GICH with plans to do OSCP within the next year, and its been helpful to me being able to see other peoples notes and resources as i prepare for all of this. thanks for sharing them. the abatchy.com link in particular looks great

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 14, 2018

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

fordan posted:

Mostly to get the breadth of knowledge needed for the Professional-level certs. While Solutions Architect Associate is the easiest of the AWS certs (except maybe AWS Cloud Practitioner), Solutions Architect Professional is said to be the hardest, so the progression I've seen recommended is Solutions Architect-Associate, Developer - Associate, SysOps Administrator - Associate, DevOps Engineer - Professional, Solutions Architect - Professional.

edit: Here's A Cloud Guru's take on it which they reiterate in most of their classes as one of the lectures which is why I remember it.

Ah, thanks for this. I noticed that it says that sysadmins would be tempted to go straight for SysOps and that was exactly what I was advised to do by a mentor working in DevOps.

Hot Damn!
Oct 28, 2004
My boss keeps mentioning that we have a lot of unspent money in the budget for training/education, and I don't want to waste the opportunity. What cool paid things can I sign up for?

For context, I'm a desktop support dude with a+/n+/s+/ccna. We use Windows stuff almost exclusively, with on-prem AD and servers on ESXi hosts.

edit: I already have access to CBT nuggets, skillsoft, and itpro.tv

Hot Damn! fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 16, 2018

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Hot drat! posted:

My boss keeps mentioning that we have a lot of unspent money in the budget for training/education, and I don't want to waste the opportunity. What cool paid things can I sign up for?

For context, I'm a desktop support dude with a+/n+/s+/ccna. We use Windows stuff almost exclusively, with on-prem AD and servers on ESXi hosts.

Offer to attend an oral sex seminar chosen at the pleasure of the boss because it sounds like you've got a p. deece setup there?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Hot drat! posted:

Safari Books Online might be useful, although Schadenboner's suggestion has merit if it'll help keep the training money coming.

Where do you want to go career-wise past desktop support? Any particular direction that you could start training your way towards?

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Hot drat! posted:

MCSA or VCP sounds like it would be the next step up in the stuff you use technology wise

DataDyne
Oct 6, 2005

Happy as a birb can be.
Hi there, so I've been thinking of learning something new after years of poo poo due to mental health issues. I came across this bundle and it piqued my interest, I only paid £10 for it which seems like a bargain and I know that it's not a certification, but for a starting stone, Is it worth it?. Thanks for your time.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So I just passed the Linux+ last week on my second attempt. What an absolute bullshit test. If anyone has any questions on it, it's still relatively fresh in my brain.

Bob Morales posted:

Anyone have any AWS certifications?

I'm thinking without a CS degree this is my best chance at getting a developer/devops job

AWS Cloud Practitioner is on my radar for the next month or three. My former boss passed it, he said it was very easy and he's not extremely technical at all.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Cloud practitioner is such a waste of money. Hopefully you're not paying for that exam

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah I had a look at it and it's basically a VMware VCA - one step up from a tech sales course. If it were dirt cheap then I might have been tempted to do it just to get a feel for how the AWS exams work, but you might as well aim for the Solutions Architect and use ACloud.Guru for the exam practise.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

AlternateAccount posted:

So I just passed the Linux+ last week on my second attempt. What an absolute bullshit test. If anyone has any questions on it, it's still relatively fresh in my brain.

AWS Cloud Practitioner is on my radar for the next month or three. My former boss passed it, he said it was very easy and he's not extremely technical at all.

whys it bullshit? that easy?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

my bitter bi rival posted:

A CompTIA test should be assumed to be bullshit until proven otherwise.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Linux+ is administered by LPI, Comptia just awards a certificate if you pass the LPI testing.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Linux+ was a perfect mix of 'braindump trivia', 'outdated practical information', and 'gotchya' questions. Hardly any of it was useful to go an work on Linux system, and just proved you have what it takes to learn Linux systems.

Which, fine, maybe that's the point, but that's why it's bullshit.

Lets Get Patchy
Aug 8, 2006

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Linux+ was a perfect mix of 'braindump trivia', 'outdated practical information', and 'gotchya' questions. Hardly any of it was useful to go an work on Linux system, and just proved you have what it takes to learn Linux systems.

Which, fine, maybe that's the point, but that's why it's bullshit.

That's great, because I totally skipped it and went straight to RHCSA and it's kicking my rear end. Jang's book is good, but does anyone have any other study materials that doesn't include RHCE?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Lets Get Patchy posted:

That's great, because I totally skipped it and went straight to RHCSA and it's kicking my rear end. Jang's book is good, but does anyone have any other study materials that doesn't include RHCE?

With the caveat that I don't have my RHCSA -- I was thinking of getting it and if I don't bother at least I'll have learned -- I have this book by van Vugt, which was recommended to me. I like it so far. It has both RHCSA and RHCE material, but they are separated and you don't have to go into the RHCE material if you don't want to.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

my bitter bi rival posted:

No, it's basically all trivia and memorization. If you want to pass it, you should

- Know every command line switch for every package manager by heart, because that's reasonable.
- Know basically all vi key commands, because you're a time traveller from 1989.
- Know completely useless items like "How many fields are there in a properly formatted fstab?"
- Know all of the built in text manipulation tools that you'll never use, like sed.

If I am being gracious, probably 50% of it was things that might be useful, like managing permissions, locations of particular config files, etc, and the rest was bullshit like the above.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Vi can suck my drat balls. Those shortcuts are ridiculous

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

- Know all of the built in text manipulation tools that you'll never use, like sed.

These tools own, though? I probably pipe something through sed and company every drat day for one reason or another.

The others sound like ridiculous trivia, though.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Docjowles posted:

These tools own, though? I probably pipe something through sed and company every drat day for one reason or another.

The others sound like ridiculous trivia, though.

I don't 100% disagree. I am not sure it should be a foundational element of an entry level Linux cert, though. Like... not a single question about grep.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Nothing says "I'm a professional Unix admin" like launching nano. The two approved religions are vi or emacs. Pick one.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I use nano please don't hurt me

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

It's "fun" to sit next to a co-worker and watch them flail away at vi, not understanding that the cursor keys don't work in insert mode. Setting up an RPi to act as a console server was a huge hand-holding exercise, despite providing complete and clear documentation.

E: I guess this isn't very on-topic, sorry certification thread. I got lost in the text editor discussion and forgot where I was

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I also like Nano, I'll use VI as well.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Relevant (to the discussion, if not the thread topic): Stack Overflow: Helping One Million Developers Exit Vim

:lol:

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Our linux UTMs only have vi installed so that's that for us.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Docjowles posted:

Relevant (to the discussion, if not the thread topic): Stack Overflow: Helping One Million Developers Exit Vim

Goddamn.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Is there a more obtuse and less intuitive piece of software in general usage than vi?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Docjowles posted:

Not ashamed to admit I would just reboot the loving computer when I first started using Linux in the 90's. Then I learned about virtual terminals and 'kill', and then I finally learned how to use vim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

AlternateAccount posted:

Is there a more obtuse and less intuitive piece of software in general usage than vi?

ed.