Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Charles Gnarwin posted:

He will beat them both.
:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Turns out I'm the dumb one. I was listening to the announcements more than watching them, and thought that every match that was verbally announced was a main event.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

quote:

According to Lucha Central, Rey Mysterio revealed at a Mysterio day press conference that he and WWE have discussed a three-year deal for him to return to the company. The site adds that Mysterio being granted a part-time schedule may be a big part of the negotiations.

Voices of Wrestling said Ospreay/Rey was 100% planned for Cow Palace when the Cow Palace show was first announced, in case anyone was wondering why that isn't happening

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Ishin posted:

Who was the Murakami guy that caused Liger to lose his poo poo?

A guy similar to Shibata who was MMA influenced and abruptly left NJPW with Shibata. He's also got a reputation like Suzuki being a violent mma bad rear end. He recently returned to wrestling i think?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Chris James 2 posted:

Voices of Wrestling said Ospreay/Rey was 100% planned for Cow Palace when the Cow Palace show was first announced, in case anyone was wondering why that isn't happening

Is Rey seriously gonna back out of Cow Palace and All In? :/

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Coach Taguchi gets it.

https://twitter.com/AHROOMEE/status/1009048185321373698

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

VJeff posted:

Is Rey seriously gonna back out of Cow Palace and All In? :/

Well, let's see, does Rey like money? Does Rey like the kind of money a billion-dollar multi-national can offer for him to basically NOT wrestle for the competition, as much as it's for wrestling FOR the company paying him?

(It's also why Jericho's plan to not work in the US is dumb. If he wants Vince to give him everything he wants on a plate, he should do the SF show and see how fast WWE pick up the phone and hurl bags of money at him to work 3 dates a year)

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

This G1 is going to be insane. Tanahashi/Suzuki and CHAOS imploding on night 1, Ibushi/ZSJ, Naito/Kenny and Ishii/YTR on night 2 :vince:

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/ladybartist/status/1009054443411836928?s=21

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

oh my god :3:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's gonna be hilarious in 3 weeks to hear Josh Barnett try and claim that man is a heel.

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
NAITOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

almost cried

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Everyone talks about wanting Okada/Kento or Tanahashi/Kento but we need Naito/Kento to decide who gets custody of Japan's children.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

every single b block card is p loaded

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

This is pure joy.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Putting both dead weight guys in the same block was a dumb idea.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'm fine with one block being a clear must-watch basically every night. It's neat to sometimes have shows where half a card isn't skippable

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

Putting both dead weight guys in the same block was a dumb idea.

how dare you say that about goto and juice

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

A Block may not have as many must watch matches but I think the Okada/Jay White story could be one of the bigger plot lines to come out of the tournament.

Also night one Omega/Naito for B block sure is going to be interesting. I expect Naito to win to see up an October title shot but I can also see Kenny winning too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Thauros posted:

every single b block card is p loaded

Shocking take here I know, but this year's G1 is gonna loving rule!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I wouldn't sleep on Hangman Page, dude is gonna work his rear end off and probably surprise a lot of people

Still think Taichi should've been in A block so both blocks could have an "easy night" opponent for the wrestlers

Benne fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 20, 2018

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Benne posted:

I wouldn't sleep on Hangman Page, dude is gonna work his rear end off and probably surprise a lot of people

Still think Taichi should've been in A block so both blocks could have an "easy night" opponent for the wrestlers

E: I’m an idiot. I’m thinking of Yujiro

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I'm so going to have to adjust my sleep schedule for the G1 so I get up an hour early to catch the main events... can't wait! :woop:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Here are some of my cold-take predictions

-- Okada wins A Block, but loses to Knife Pervert to further the "uneasy alliance" story. This also sets up drama in the block final where Okada has to beat Tana again so the tiebreaker doesn't come into play (I've talked myself into Knife Pervert having a big G1).
-- Naito doesn't win B Block, but beats Kenny to get the title shot at KOPW
-- Kota beats Kenny to win B Block. There's a reason they put this match in the block final at Budokan.
-- Okada beats Kota, Naito takes the belt off Kenny, and that's how we get to Okada/Naito II at the Dome
-- Juice and Page secretly deliver the best matches of the tournament and come out of this better despite not winning much
-- YOSHI-HASHI is eating all of the pins

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Benne posted:

-- Okada beats Kota, Naito takes the belt off Kenny, and that's how we get to Okada/Naito II at the Dome

I still don't see them going for this instead of giving Okada another big Dome match against Kenny.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

I Before E posted:

I still don't see them going for this instead of giving Okada another big Dome match against Kenny.

It's too soon to do Kenny/Okada again, that story has been told and Naito needs his closure/redemption, especially after the beating he's taken this year.

Also let's not forget the overarching plot of the Japanese stars trying to get the belts off all the gaijins, and with Naito and Kenny already calling each other out, that definitely feels like the KOPW plan.

Benne fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jun 20, 2018

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The one thing that has me doubting Naito beating Kenny is that it's a night one match and it seems a bit early for the IWGP champion to take a night one loss.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Benne posted:

It's too soon to do Kenny/Okada again, that story has been told and Naito needs his closure/redemption, especially after the beating he's taken this year.
I agree that Omega/Okada should be done for now and Naito needs some sort of redemption, but I don't see a title switch as soon as KOPW as sensible. Have Naito win the G1, win the title at WK, successfully defend against Okada at Dominion or thereabouts to exorcise the demon of not beating him with the title on the line, let Okada put the question "but can he do it at the Dome?" in everyone's mind and have Okada win next year's G1 to build to Okada/Naito at WK in 2020.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I expect Okada/Naito to co-headline and take top billing over Omega/Ibushi

It will be Okada in the main for sure, at least

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SatoshiMiwa posted:

The one thing that has me doubting Naito beating Kenny is that it's a night one match and it seems a bit early for the IWGP champion to take a night one loss.

I'm actually hoping Naito gets the Tokyo Dome spot as a challenger, so I think it would be cool if Omega beat Naito in the G1, but Naito ended up winning the G1 itself, then Kenny beats his opponent at KOPW and goes into WrestleKingdom mocking Naito/reminding him that he always beats him. Then Naito can beat Kenny in the main event of the Tokyo Dome and I'll be so happy :)

Then at New Years Dash, Okada can rise from his grave :getin:

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Jerusalem posted:

I'm actually hoping Naito gets the Tokyo Dome spot as a challenger, so I think it would be cool if Omega beat Naito in the G1, but Naito ended up winning the G1 itself, then Kenny beats his opponent at KOPW and goes into WrestleKingdom mocking Naito/reminding him that he always beats him. Then Naito can beat Kenny in the main event of the Tokyo Dome and I'll be so happy :)

I really think it's cool that someone finally beat Okada, and it was an amazing moment when it finally happened. But I'm still so salty about Naito losing his big matches this year. Loses to Okada, loses to Jericho, it just loving irritates me because the guy is in that upper echelon but he never seems to be treated that way.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

SatoshiMiwa posted:

They beat Ospreay on the first night of BOSJ so it's not totally out of the question :shrug:

frankenfreak posted:

I agree that Omega/Okada should be done for now and Naito needs some sort of redemption, but I don't see a title switch as soon as KOPW as sensible. Have Naito win the G1, win the title at WK, successfully defend against Okada at Dominion or thereabouts to exorcise the demon of not beating him with the title on the line, let Okada put the question "but can he do it at the Dome?" in everyone's mind and have Okada win next year's G1 to build to Okada/Naito at WK in 2020.

I like this idea, because the story of "Naito and the other Japanese resent the foreign champs" feels like it should get a big blowoff at the Dome. I'm mostly curious as to when they'll go back to Okada -- he's still the company's biggest star, after all -- and it's pretty doubtful that he won't be champion again at some point in 2019, let alone not main-eventing the Dome. How they get there will be real interesting.

Jerusalem posted:

Gedo silently sobs into his headband as his beautiful son is reduced to tagging with YOSHI-HASHI in the WK undercard :getin:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I feel like at least one of those big block final matches between Okada/Tanahashi and Omega/Ibushi is gonna end in a tie to send a surprise winner to the finals.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

It better be Ishii if that's the case

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Spoiler it's gonna be Juice.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I honestly wouldn't be shocked if they pull an Omega-in-'16 scenario and use this G1 to rocket-strap a new guy into the main event picture

(It's Knife Pervert get on the hype train now)

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Quick we need Meltzer breaking down the G1 standings stat

God I love G1 season

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Quick we need Meltzer breaking down the G1 standings stat

God I love G1 season

The best Big Audio Nightmare of the year is their G1 preview, where they try to predict matches and break their brains figuring out the math (it's also the only time where Sempervivie is mildly enjoyable)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Benne posted:

I honestly wouldn't be shocked if they pull an Omega-in-'16 scenario and use this G1 to rocket-strap a new guy into the main event picture

(It's JUICE get on the hype train now)