Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Wild Horses posted:

Only way i know to win is to get a stupid large +minerals and some strong tech, channel Stalin and order Not One Step Back and drown the enemy in a tide of blood

Commonwealth of Man sounds like the way to go, though I like my alien bros. Is there a way to make them none xenophobic? I want my nivlac bros to team up with me to smash people's poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Hey so they might need to fix the war name lists, I just had a war called "my empire - their empire The War In Heaven"

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Viva Miriya posted:

I'm gonna start a new ironman because I'm not enjoying losing my territory and the galaxy to the raider horde. Full armor was working but it was an ossue of fleet power and a fleet of cruisers that felt useless compared to my 2 fleet of torpedo corvettes. I feel like I really dont get fleet combat besides throw ships at people and try not to get overwhelmed.

Fighting the horde was fun on a macro level and I had my wins but they had two wormholes to come through, one near my territory, and one near my allies. It took all my fleets to start carving up one part of their incursion and by then its too late for me to deal with the guys carving up my turf. And they dont cap, they annihilate.

Next playthrough I want to be prepared for that and probably do some tweaks to the AI. They are stupid weak except for the fallen empire. They did gently caress all to the raiders. Might make the game harder for me early and midgame but at least they might be useful against the horde and against the crisis.

Oh man, the Horde was such a surprise in my current ironman playthrough. It's my first game with all of the DLC and on a higher difficulty. The last two games I was playing on the easiest difficulty just so I could work through the mechanics and try things without feeling like I was loving everything up, but man the AI is terrible at such a low difficulty, by the end game. Once I felt like I had a grasp I immediately turned it up a notch and they present much more of a challenge now.

The horde spawned on the other side of the galaxy and I wasn't taking them seriously at first. They were pretty far away. Then they started pouring through a wormhole on my Northern border while I was in the middle of a war with my neighbor who bordered me kind of curved around my northern/western side from like 9 to noon - so he literally interrupted me killing my neighbor and took some of the systems I wanted. Very rude. At literally just the right moment my first battleships of the game and a fleet capacity tech finished and my fleet power basically tripled. I was sort of surprised considering the sheer number of fleets coming through the wormhole, but I actually stomped the poo poo out of the horde single handedly. I parked my fleets at the end of a star corridor and they murdered everything that came close. It was also bad luck for the horde that they spawn as a neighbor to a FE. When the Khan came back with a 2nd armada the FE took care of it with ease.

Then the FE became an AE, and now they're a massive galactic threat because they're jingoistic reclaimers and I'm just barely holding the tide back. But that's another story.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Ice Fist posted:

Oh man, the Horde was such a surprise in my current ironman playthrough. It's my first game with all of the DLC and on a higher difficulty. The last two games I was playing on the easiest difficulty just so I could work through the mechanics and try things without feeling like I was loving everything up, but man the AI is terrible at such a low difficulty, by the end game. Once I felt like I had a grasp I immediately turned it up a notch and they present much more of a challenge now.

The horde spawned on the other side of the galaxy and I wasn't taking them seriously at first. They were pretty far away. Then they started pouring through a wormhole on my Northern border while I was in the middle of a war with my neighbor who bordered me kind of curved around my northern/western side from like 9 to noon - so he literally interrupted me killing my neighbor and took some of the systems I wanted. Very rude. At literally just the right moment my first battleships of the game and a fleet capacity tech finished and my fleet power basically tripled. I was sort of surprised considering the sheer number of fleets coming through the wormhole, but I actually stomped the poo poo out of the horde single handedly. I parked my fleets at the end of a star corridor and they murdered everything that came close. It was also bad luck for the horde that they spawn as a neighbor to a FE. When the Khan came back with a 2nd armada the FE took care of it with ease.

Then the FE became an AE, and now they're a massive galactic threat because they're jingoistic reclaimers and I'm just barely holding the tide back. But that's another story.

What galaxy settings are you running in your game cause I'll give that a go now that I get the mechanics mostly?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Viva Miriya posted:

Commonwealth of Man sounds like the way to go, though I like my alien bros. Is there a way to make them none xenophobic? I want my nivlac bros to team up with me to smash people's poo poo.

You can make a custom race

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Senor Dog posted:

You can make a custom race

You can even edit the pregen ones if you want.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Viva Miriya posted:

yeah do materialist or authoritarian militarists and go to town

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Wild Horses posted:

yeah do materialist or authoritarian militarists and go to town

gently caress yeah. Thanks man.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

I'm finally surviving in a admiral difficulty ironman. I'm playing Fanatic Materialist / Egalitarian and have only been able to make one friend with a defense pact so far who is a world seeded federation builder, so he only has one planet. Lots of space, just one planet.

How long does it take for a world seeded AI empires to start getting more planets?? Our fleet power is equivalent so I think that his single world is really holding his fighting ability back. I also started close to a fanatical purifier with whom I just finished my first war with as he decided to attack the fed builder through a wormhole that is on the FP and mine's border, but is owned by the fed builder. Which was not great b/c that meant that I got to spend almost the whole war doing most of the actual fighting.

It is very noticeable how on higher difficulty I had to change my tactics because I was not the biggest swinging dick in the galaxy, which is norm and been pretty easy at commodore. I was very surprised how quickly all the mean looking AI empires quickly jump up to OVERWHELMING or superior in relative power. So when the overwhelming FP declared war on us I thought this might be it for this game. I had 3 fleets at about 4-5k due to fleet cap and the FP had 3 ~9-10k fleets tooling around grazing on my few systems outside my major defense battle station choke point. The FP fleets were all like cruisers (literally just like 14 cruisers and 2 destroyers) and I had not even researched cruisers yet so I had a swarms of corvettes and a handful of PD destroyers. Regardless a full frontal confrontation was doomed to fail, but my guys had speed!

I was able to jump one of the lagging behind stacks while the others had recently jumped through the wormhole. After beating that stack I quickly took a few neighboring systems for war score and high tailed it back to my defense station to heal up and merge with the reinforcements that were being churned out just behind the line. The FP stacks came back and reconquered their space and a little of my space. This was pretty much how the war went, cat and mouse with shiv, as my buddy just parked his fleets ON HIS side of the wormhole like an rear end in a top hat and didn't come help out until the very end of the war when the war exhaustion was like 75% us 65% them and forced the status quo end of the war. I actually came out 3 systems ahead while the FP and the fed builder exchanged 0 systems lol.

Thought the war exhaustion mechanic was really noticeable as well as I lost 8-10 corvettes per engagement (they were replaced at greater speed than lost) and even though I won the space battles I still received higher war exhaustion as I guess losing ships means more to the egalatarian public than winning battles. The fanatical purifiers also love war probs so whatever.

As I was closing out the session I took the defense station ascension perk, jacked up my space maginoit line more, built 3 new space stations to be Anchorage only stations cause the stakes feel real now and I do not want to be smothered in my crib again like the last higher diff games I tried, and god drat I need to at least get equivalent in fleet power at least with that FP before the 10 year timer is up and he comes for us again.

EmbryoSteve fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 19, 2018

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Viva Miriya posted:

What galaxy settings are you running in your game cause I'll give that a go now that I get the mechanics mostly?

I've been slowly ramping it up. At release I only played a couple of games and I remember everything being confusing and not understanding how things worked although I generally still liked the game. So when I came back I started small and very easy. Even with other strategy games like Civ I'm not the type of person to push the difficulty. I picked the default human race of xenophiles because I remember during release having trouble with aliens on my home planets for some reason. I won that game even before the end game crisis which was disappointing.

I made the galaxy bigger, switched to xenophobic/fanatic materialist hyper intelligent bird men so I could mess around with robotics because I remember having to deal with a robotic uprising in one of my release games and it tanking me pretty hard so I wanted to figure that out. I got to complete an endgame crisis and stomp the poo poo out of an AE in that game too.

Then I wanted to revive my fanatic spiritualist race of cat people, so I made the galaxy bigger again and started a 3rd game. This game was boring as gently caress and I abandoned it pretty early. I only had one early neighbor and the number of nearby habitable planets was stunningly low. I also bought all the expansions at around this point and wanted to mess around with the new content. So I rebooted this for a 4th game, same race and ethics again with a large galaxy but this time I upped the difficulty to see if I could hang and I could, although there are already things I'd do differently.

Outside of the size/shape of the galaxy and the difficulty I haven't touched any other settings. I still don't feel familiar enough with the game and haven't developed a preference for any of the settings to really futz with anything else.

Honestly when the game was released I merely liked the game, but not enough to stick with it while Paradox got their poo poo figured out. After playing through a few games, experimenting with various ethics and species and incrementing difficulty and galaxy size I've straight up fallen in love with the game. There's still half a dozen things I want to try and I've even gotten some friends interested again.

This game owns.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 19, 2018

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Xenophile Mil also works (it's one of the personality options for Honorbound Warriors for the AI; iirc it's also the only version of the Klingon AI that won't genocide primitives) if you want to go nuts

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Whoops double post.

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 19, 2018

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

So far I'm really enjoying Admiral/High Aggressive as a Galactic Threat race. The AI declare containment wars early and often, well before I've got my empire into shape to really fight. It's fun! I've even had to take some bad peace deals, losing some systems (in one case cutting my empire in half, that was my chokepoint! :argh:) just to be able to lick my wounds and fight another day. It's really only the start that's dicey, and it's the most fun, until late game. Once I'm able to bite chunks out of a few neighbors the usual snowball effect takes over, until massive federations form and decide I'm a problem.

I'm sure advanced start enemies would gently caress my day right up, though.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/1009080759137787904

Triggered.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'm triggered by the mere 4 minerals from a cracked planet, what kinda trash is that??

The real reason for Dead Space cracking those planets is for the crunchy goodness inside!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Viva Miriya posted:

gently caress yeah. Thanks man.

Yeah, beat, but if you make an empire where the species pic and name and traits are exactly the same they count as same species. The earth one mentioned a bunch of pre ftl colony ships so I made a bunch of human empires and sometimes they load up together and become enemies or friends

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Can you use a planet cracker on your own planets? Can I explode empty size 8 worlds to get some free minerals?

Ice Fist posted:

Outside of the size/shape of the galaxy and the difficulty I haven't touched any other settings. I still don't feel familiar enough with the game and haven't developed a preference for any of the settings to really futz with anything else.

One tip, especially if you're going to increase the galaxy size, is to bump up the number of AI empires. Gets rid of a lot of the random empty spaces in the galaxy and makes it a lot more interesting.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 19, 2018

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Can you use a planet cracker on your own planets? Can I explode empty size 8 worlds to get some free minerals?

You sure can! In the rare times I'm not at war I go through my territory turning all the planets I don't want to colonize into mines. Industry, baby!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

But for some reason, if you crack uncolonizable worlds, you get NOTHING

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
This doesn't seem to be ecologically sound methodology

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Haha I've gotten myself into an amazing situation in my current game. I'm playing as Fanatic Purifiers but generally going very tall, leaving the planets I capture to be purged and then left empty except for my tight bunch of core worlds (and a pair of ringworlds graciously left behind by a nearby FE I scraped off of them). So my income to fleet needed to control my expanding area ratio has never been very good but I've barely managed to stay afloat. Until now. I'm playing heavily, heavily modded I need to say, so I've got giant fleets of NSC ships but so does everyone else. But in order to ward off a recent war I needed to go really overboard, and it super-tanked my income. However one thing I've got is an edict, For the Cause, which increases my income, army build speed, naval capacity and reduces ship upkeep but also research speed, which puts me well into the black again. The problem is I can only use this while at war. So if I ever stop being at war for any length of time I'm going to rapidly go bankrupt.

I decided to call it Peace Exhaustion and it feels perfect for Fanatic Purifiers.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
You should get an asteroid belt with an ex planet modifier regardless of what you crack.

If you shield an uncolonized world do you get research out of it?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

SniperWoreConverse posted:

You should get an asteroid belt with an ex planet modifier regardless of what you crack.

If you shield an uncolonized world do you get research out of it?

Can't shield uncolonized worlds; only the planet cracker works on empty worlds.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

darthbob88 posted:

Can't shield uncolonized worlds; only the planet cracker works on empty worlds.

loving trees need to learn their place :argh:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Is there a bug with Migration? I'm playing as Fanatic Xenophile Egalitarians trying to make a nice, inclusive galactic republic, but I can't get any takers despite having three Migration treaties and a Paradise Planet. I blew 200 influence on the lovely Migration attractiveness edict and only got one customer in the 14 years it was running.

The reason I feel like it's a bug is that there isn't any internal movement either, despite having the aforementioned wide-open paradise planet. You'd think the Tomb World guys I uplifted and integrated would want to get off their shitheap planet and into paradise. They even have the Nomadic trait... :nyoron:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
How happy are they on their planet? As I've heard it, they'll only move if they'll be happier where they'll go to. There aren't many ways to mess with happiness, so the matter's nigh impossible.

Xenophile's just forgotten, it feels like. Happiness as a production boost also seems problematic to base around.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Bloodly posted:

How happy are they on their planet? As I've heard it, they'll only move if they'll be happier where they'll go to. There aren't many ways to mess with happiness, so the matter's nigh impossible.

Xenophile's just forgotten, it feels like. Happiness as a production boost also seems problematic to base around.

It's hard to imagine they wouldn't be happier on a Paradise planet given the inherent happiness buff.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Bloodly posted:

Migration definitely works, it's just a bit of a black box. And xenophile is worth it for the influence cost reduction alone, let alone the border friction benefits.

I've been trying the following happiness build: Fanatic Egalitarian Xenophobe, with Conservationist, Functional Architecture(swap to taste), Rapid Breeding and Environmentalist. This cuts consumer goods cost by 50%, meaning you can run Utopian Abundance and still save minerals relative to a normal build while getting that sweet +10% buff to all output when factions unlock, or +5% till then. The extra influence you get from egalitarianism is amplified by the Xenophobe reduction trait, enabling expansion AND edicts to run at the same time.

The only drawback is that maxing out Egalitarian happiness requires making core worlds open to all, including aliens, which will cost happiness for your xenophobe faction. This feels like a bug rather than something intended, however.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Xenophiles own. Unless I'm playing hive/robots (which I mostly do), I roll some sort of xenophile egalitarians with utopian standards. Getting so much bonus from happiness and getting all the free pops owns.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Aethernet posted:

Migration definitely works, it's just a bit of a black box. And xenophile is worth it for the influence cost reduction alone, let alone the border friction benefits.

I've been trying the following happiness build: Fanatic Egalitarian Xenophobe, with Conservationist, Functional Architecture(swap to taste), Rapid Breeding and Environmentalist. This cuts consumer goods cost by 50%, meaning you can run Utopian Abundance and still save minerals relative to a normal build while getting that sweet +10% buff to all output when factions unlock, or +5% till then. The extra influence you get from egalitarianism is amplified by the Xenophobe reduction trait, enabling expansion AND edicts to run at the same time.

The only drawback is that maxing out Egalitarian happiness requires making core worlds open to all, including aliens, which will cost happiness for your xenophobe faction. This feels like a bug rather than something intended, however.
Functional Architecture and Conservationist are both waaay less effective than Mining Guilds, though. Unless you’re spending >60% of your income on buildings (ie not Starbases, not ship maintenance, not megastructures) FA is strictly worse.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Talkie Toaster posted:

Functional Architecture and Conservationist are both waaay less effective than Mining Guilds, though. Unless you’re spending >60% of your income on buildings (ie not Starbases, not ship maintenance, not megastructures) FA is strictly worse.

Yeah i would definitely pick mining guilds over either of those. Consumer goods don't ever seem to be a problem even with utopian standards, since there's passives that do that reduce those and an energy edict. Functional architecture is something i would at best have very early and reform out of, although i don't think it's worth 250 influence to get rid of a dubious benefit civic - better off not even starting with it.

Mining guilds means more buildings, more mining/research stations and more ships. Consumer goods is just such a tiny fraction of your mineral costs it does not seem remotely worth building to

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Talkie Toaster posted:

You're not wrong, of course - the point was to go for a bit of a gimmick minmax consumer goods build. I considered swapping out FA for Parliamentary System for the extra influence boost, but Rapid Breeders means you have a higher requirement for buildings to take advantage of FA in the early game. I opted for a research strategy that maximised pop growth too.

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017

Kaal posted:

FTL inhibitors do a better job of defending territory than all the defense platforms in the world. Whether or not the game needs another reason to drag out the endgame is another matter entirely.

is there a way to get past the FTL inhibitors? or do i literally have to go around them?

i was hoping i could time them out, like wait a year or so in a system, and be able to go to the next system, but it doesnt seem to work that way for me.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Blow up/take over the thing creating them

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Dogen posted:

Blow up/take over the thing creating them

This is basically take over the system (easy), then if their is a planet you have to bomb the poo poo out of the planet and hope to destroy it. You can also invade the planet and once you are occupying it even if the system doesn't flip you can leave the system.

For your empire you want your chokes with multiple colonized planets if possible. These will let you stall a war if you need time to move all your fleets because you were caught by surprise and were in a bad position.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

CoolHandMat posted:

is there a way to get past the FTL inhibitors? or do i literally have to go around them?

i was hoping i could time them out, like wait a year or so in a system, and be able to go to the next system, but it doesnt seem to work that way for me.

If you take the starbase you can pass. Likewise, if it is coming from a stronghold you can either conquer the planet to pass or bombard the planet until the strong hold is destroyed and then pass

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

EmbryoSteve posted:

If you take the starbase you can pass. Likewise, if it is coming from a stronghold you can either conquer the planet to pass or bombard the planet until the strong hold is destroyed and then pass

I came across a AI planet that had a ton of fortresses on it. It was like they knew they were losing, so decided to leave a giant gently caress you on the way out.
They got a special visit from Uncle Neutron Sweep.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

McSpanky posted:

loving trees need to learn their place :argh:

unironically this

I would shield holy worlds
it should give a small amount of society research for the pristine planet in a bottle thing

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

CitizenKain posted:

I came across a AI planet that had a ton of fortresses on it. It was like they knew they were losing, so decided to leave a giant gently caress you on the way out.
They got a special visit from Uncle Neutron Sweep.

tbf if the AI actually figures out that going Full Cadia can screw over an opponent that's :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

I found out last night the hard way that I locked myself out of building megastructures in my current game, which was super disappointing. Ugh should have looked that up before picking my ascendencies.

Game is still pretty interesting though. Joined a federation for the first time so I got to experience what it's like to have an unexpected 20% of your fleet capacity disappear, build an incredible federation fleet and use it to destroy two contingency machine worlds and half a dozen 120k fleets only to have the AI squander it. I've gotten the Contingency twice in a row now and I've noticed that the AI absolutely cannot resist sitting at conquered planets and bomb it forever. They could just land an army immediately because planets under contingency control have no defending armies, but nope - gunna bomb this thing and accomplish nothing for 20 years until I get control back.

But yeah still got one more machine world, and a Jingoistic reclaimer AE to deal with. The guardians of the galaxy woke up too, and a pair of materialist empires had AI rebellions cut their empires in half so the galaxy map looks like swiss cheese right now.