Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

shipping is ok

but only if ur shipping scully and mulder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Shipping is AIDS for TV.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You must not like Lost since that show was designed for shipping.

Oh yeah, there's a mysterious polar bear on this tropical island and a giant loving smoke monster wreaking havoc on us. But in the meantime, is Kate going to be with Jack or Sawyer?

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
So, were those prisoners sent out to mine asteroids in other star systems? How the hell do you run a mining company that takes decades to get out to the site and more decades to bring the stuff they mine back? If the company HQ is in some other system, or if there are colonies out there, than the Earth blowing up is considerably less of a problem.

A good poster fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jun 7, 2018

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
What the hell is shipping/a shipper?

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
It's also new to me, so I looked it up for you :

Shipping, initially derived from the word relationship, is the desire by fans for two or more people, either real-life people or fictional characters (in film, literature, television etc.) to be in a romantic relationship. It is considered a general term for fans' emotional involvement with the ongoing development of a relationship in a work of fiction.

Source,
The well esteemed well of all knowledge, AKA Wikipedia

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dalael posted:

What the hell is shipping/a shipper?

The very polar opposite of a hate watcher. They make collages and get real upset when things don't go their way. It's a thing. Don't get curious.

I was taking the piss, mostly.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

A good poster posted:

So, were those prisoners sent out to mine asteroids in other star systems? How the hell do you run a mining company that takes decades to get out to the site and more decades to bring the stuff they mine back? If the company HQ is in some other system, or if there are colonies out there, than the Earth blowing up is considerably less of a problem.

Seems like they were in the star system, just some distant asteroids. Also from the description they were mining something not readily available domestically. I'm more interested in the setup for the 3rd mission they alluded to, as that might have been the colony ship.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Apprentice Dick posted:

Seems like they were in the star system, just some distant asteroids. Also from the description they were mining something not readily available domestically. I'm more interested in the setup for the 3rd mission they alluded to, as that might have been the colony ship.

There was a colony ship, wasn't there? Or am I confusing that with the bunker plotline from last year?

Rocksicles posted:

The very polar opposite of a hate watcher. They make collages and get real upset when things don't go their way. It's a thing. Don't get curious.

I know you're being facetious, but the line between being a hate watcher and being a shipper can be surprisingly thin. i,e, the number of people who get very, very mad whenever a show doesn't feature their favoured couple interacting, or when the show seems to suggest that their favoured couple might not be canon, or when their favoured couple goes through some hardship -- e.g. when a member of that coupling is accidentally being shot dead.

That said, there's essentially nothing wrong with being a shipper -- most shows fundamentally encourage it. The Americans, for example, was as much a show about the romantic relationship between a husband and wife as it was about spying. But a lot of people are obnoxious about it.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Evernoob posted:

It's also new to me, so I looked it up for you :

Shipping, initially derived from the word relationship, is the desire by fans for two or more people, either real-life people or fictional characters (in film, literature, television etc.) to be in a romantic relationship. It is considered a general term for fans' emotional involvement with the ongoing development of a relationship in a work of fiction.

Source,
The well esteemed well of all knowledge, AKA Wikipedia

Oh.. So basically Jim and Pam from the Office, got it.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
How to call someone who hates a show based on stupid poo poo? For example, a friend of mine decided he doesn't like The 100 because he thought it was stupid that Lincoln speaks english.

"It could have been another language!"
"He hasn't had a conversation with anyone, how should he be fluent?" (disregarding the fact there's a whole civilization in existence
"The station is supposed to be from many countries, why do they all speak english so well? this show sucks!"

like what the gently caress? how do you call someone like that?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I thought a shipper was someone who’s unhealthily and creepily invested in a relationship pair.

The alternative is that im a shipper because I hate watched the last season of the walking dead for no entertainment value at all. I hate watched falling skies too but at least that show was so dumb that it was “good.” I totally misread/misunderstood what I was responded to and none of this is what I meant to say.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 8, 2018

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Boris Galerkin posted:

I thought a shipper was someone who’s unhealthily and creepily invested in a relationship pair.

The alternative is that im a shipper because I hate watched the last season of the walking dead for no entertainment value at all. I hate watched falling skies too but at least that show was so dumb that it was “good.”

Has anyone told you about ZNation yet?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Dalael posted:

Has anyone told you about ZNation yet?

Yeah and I’m all caught up. I liked the first seasons better though. The last one with the vision plot was so bad.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

If you ever think "X and Y would make a good couple, they should totally get together" you have engaged in shipping

Also the costuming in this show has always been on point, but this season's outfits are amazing. More red and black for Wonkru, more awesome jackets for Wanheda!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Octavia's outfit this episode was especially striking. Way digging the new red on black colour scheme for Wonkru.

e: i'd argue you haven't engaged in shipping until you've started writing fanfic/discussing the ship in fandoms/harrassing the actors imho. If you think characters would make a good couple but do nothing beyond giving it a thought every so often, that's just enjoying fiction!

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

Dalael posted:

How to call someone who hates a show based on stupid poo poo? For example, a friend of mine decided he doesn't like The 100 because he thought it was stupid that Lincoln speaks english.

"It could have been another language!"
"He hasn't had a conversation with anyone, how should he be fluent?" (disregarding the fact there's a whole civilization in existence

Of all the dumb things that this show does with language, complaining about the Grounders being fluent in English is really bizarre.

We have audio recordings made in the early 20th century of old people who grew up in the 19th century, and while the accents sound unusual and there are bits of odd (to our ears) vocabulary here and there, you can understand them just fine for the most part. This applies even to poor rural people such as former slaves.

Granted, realistically each clan of Grounders should probably have a different accent, none of which would sound exactly like the Arkers, but considering how the attempt at "Future English" turned out in After Earth, I would have been totally willing to cut the production team some slack on this if they hadn't gone and created a completely unnecessary Grounder conlang that everyone from every clan somehow both knows and regularly uses in conversation in addition to English. But we've been over that before.

Dalael posted:

"The station is supposed to be from many countries, why do they all speak english so well? this show sucks!"

Tell him that all astronauts are already required to speak English and Russian, and this is 97 years after the apocalypse, so the first generation astronauts (well, except for the popsicle space miners, but I assume that he hasn't gotten that far yet) are all dead anyway. Plus, the ISS's video entertainment library leans very heavily towards American-made movies and TV shows, and with few other entertainment options available you would expect kids growing up on the Ark to spend an awful lot of time watching Space Netflix, so all of the Arkers speaking a generic TV/movie American accent actually makes total sense.

INH5 fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jun 8, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

INH5 posted:

Tell him that all astronauts are already required to speak English and Russian, and this is 97 years after the apocalypse, so the first generation astronauts (well, except for the popsicle space miners, but I assume that he hasn't gotten that far yet) are all dead anyway. Plus, the ISS's video entertainment library leans very heavily towards American-made movies and TV shows, and with few other entertainment options available you would expect kids growing up on the Ark to spend an awful lot of time watching Space Netflix, so all of the Arkers speaking a generic TV/movie American accent actually makes total sense.

Not only that, but all pilots speak English.

I’m finally watching this episode now and :lol: at the cave scene. “We killed people, let’s have sex.”

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 8, 2018

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Tbh that seems perfectly in character for those two.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
murph and emori are probably my favs on the cast since lincoln was killed, i liked how believable their falling-out on the ring was, i liked how in-character their reunification was.

hopefully this means an eventual return of the murphy and emori who were whispering in each others' ears and so confident in their bond during that scene between them and clarke in the becca-bunker kitchen

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yo, what the gently caress is UP with this schedule?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
that seemed like a really :effort: episode, all things considered.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

DO HO HO HO Ho

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

So now Juancru is using bioweapons again. Grounders gonna grounder. Octavia is really embracing the villain role.

"Trust her? She's a drug addict." :v:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Octavia is now The Emporer and Maddie doesn't like sand.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Look, I'm probably just forgetting or I went to the bathroom at the wrong time, but exactly how did Abbie become an addict? I can guess the general shape of things, but nothing's really been specified, right?

Same with Maddie -- we don't really know anything about where she actually came from, right? Clarke just found her somewhere near Becca's lab and adopted her.

I'd... probably not put the Flame in her head, tbh. Don't know where that head's been. (Also it looks like ALIE's drones are still monitoring things in the opening credits.)

Rocksicles posted:

Octavia is now The Emporer and Maddie doesn't like sand.

Except Octavia's just looking for any excuse to ice Maddie, rather than train her in her ways. I reckon Kara's Octavia's Vader, if anyone.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Open Source Idiom posted:

Look, I'm probably just forgetting or I went to the bathroom at the wrong time, but exactly how did Abbie become an addict? I can guess the general shape of things, but nothing's really been specified, right?

Same with Maddie -- we don't really know anything about where she actually came from, right? Clarke just found her somewhere near Becca's lab and adopted her.

I'd... probably not put the Flame in her head, tbh. Don't know where that head's been. (Also it looks like ALIE's drones are still monitoring things in the opening credits.)

Except Octavia's just looking for any excuse to ice Maddie, rather than train her in her ways. I reckon Kara's Octavia's Vader, if anyone.

I haven't caught up with the most recent episode yet but I thought I missed something too. All of a sudden she is stealing painkillers and getting Kane into trouble and the leader of the prisoners bribes her into working with her big bag of drugs.

I assumed that either I missed a line of dialogue somewhere or she is just so messed up from the inevitable cannibal reveal that the only way she can cope is a bunch of drugs.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Ehhh I probably figured she turned to drugs after losing her daughter, getting stuck in a hole in the ground, finding out her daughter was alive but that she’ll never see her again because of the collapsed tower, and five years of blood sports. Doesn’t seem unreasonable.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

They've already said she was a nightblood from the valley. The place where she hid when the prisoners first landed is where she hid as a nightblood. That is how she survived the death wave burning everything.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Abby's brain was all hosed up from zapping ALIE out of it and she became addicted to her meds.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bellamy with long hair and facial hair looking like Lou Diamond Phillips.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I haven't caught up with the most recent episode yet but I thought I missed something too. All of a sudden she is stealing painkillers and getting Kane into trouble and the leader of the prisoners bribes her into working with her big bag of drugs.

I assumed that either I missed a line of dialogue somewhere or she is just so messed up from the inevitable cannibal reveal that the only way she can cope is a bunch of drugs.

She gets bad migraines from the brain damage she received in blowing out the AI chip in her head.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 21, 2018

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

She gets bad migraines from the brain damage she received in blowing out the AI chip in her head.

I thought she never learnt how to do this -- Raven was going to tell her, but then the death wave happened and knocked out all communication with the bunker.

Have they explicitly said this anywhere?

Apprentice Dick posted:

They've already said she was a nightblood from the valley. The place where she hid when the prisoners first landed is where she hid as a nightblood. That is how she survived the death wave burning everything.

Yeah, but I'm interested in how she got to the valley in the first place. What happened to her parents, how could she be an unregistered nightblood (I assume the relevant bloodlines are monitored heavily by the priests). She basically sprang from nowhere.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jun 21, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

The creator of the show says otherwise:

https://twitter.com/Hypable/status/977500525989068801?s=20

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

The creator of the show says otherwise:

Umm, I'm not seeing the contradiction. Could you make it clearer?

I'm suggesting that I don't remember Madi's ever mentioning her biological family, and I just think that's odd. I also don't understand how there could have been another nightblood around without the Conclave making a bigger deal about it. Wasn't the whole point of the third season that most of them were dead and there was no-one left to lay claim to the Flame? Where the gently caress did this girl come from and why doesn't anyone appear to care?

I've got a dumb conspiracy theory explanation for all of it to make sense (I'm not particularly wedded to it, it's just fun to speculate) but as it stands it feels inconsistent at best.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Umm, I'm not seeing the contradiction. Could you make it clearer?

I'm suggesting that I don't remember Madi's ever mentioning her biological family, and I just think that's odd. I also don't understand how there could have been another nightblood around without the Conclave making a bigger deal about it. Wasn't the whole point of the third season that most of them were dead and there was no-one left to lay claim to the Flame? Where the gently caress did this girl come from and why doesn't anyone appear to care?

I've got a dumb conspiracy theory explanation for all of it to make sense (I'm not particularly wedded to it, it's just fun to speculate) but as it stands it feels inconsistent at best.

Madi hasn't really elaborated on her backstory yet, though I'm sure she's told Clarke. If it's relevant we'll learn more about it, I'm sure. And as Madi comes more to the forefront of the story it may become more relevant.

I don't think it's too inconsistent that some people with nightblood children would try to smuggle them away to safety rather than take them to Polis for training, knowing the dangers of them getting murked during the Conclave. Or she could have escaped like Luna did and found herself some like minded grounders to foster her.

Doesn't really strike me as too big a deal we don't know all the details yet, personally.

e: wasn't Ontari of Ice Nation being a nightblood kind of a surprise, too, or am i remembering wrong? at the very least her not being brought to Polis to be trained as a child and instead being trained in Ice Nation was something of a big deal iirc. so nightbloods not all being brought to Polis immediately seems to have precedent

esperterra fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 21, 2018

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

esperterra posted:

e: wasn't Ontari of Ice Nation being a nightblood kind of a surprise, too, or am i remembering wrong? at the very least her not being brought to Polis to be trained as a child and instead being trained in Ice Nation was something of a big deal iirc. so nightbloods not all being brought to Polis immediately seems to have precedent

Yep! I don't remember which scene or episode, but they said that Ontari was purposely hidden from the flamekeepers (probably so that she would have an unfair advantage over a bunch of literal children in the Conclave when Azgeda eventually decided to put her into play... which is exactly what happened).

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I thought she never learnt how to do this -- Raven was going to tell her, but then the death wave happened and knocked out all communication with the bunker.

They kept it ambiguous as to whether or not it was a remainder of ALIE's code running around in her brain or if she was just straight-up hallucinating as a consequence of all the mental and physical trauma she's undergone over the years. Considering that her symptoms aren't similar to Raven's - at least as presented now - I imagine they're learning more towards the latter.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Excellent episode. Glad Cooper is being kept in the family.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Poor Monty. He just wants to live peacefully and probably work on breeding some :catdrugs:

:rip: Cooper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Poor Monty. He just wants to live peacefully and probably work on breeding some :catdrugs:

:rip: Cooper

I hope Monty doesn't follow what's-his-name's example

• Locked thread