Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

LawfulWaffle posted:

I have some Hollow Knight questions but I don't want to find a dedicated thread for fear of spoilers. I think I'm over halfway through the game but I know I'm missing at least one movement ability double jump.

1) Is there a charm that helps with healing, specifically in mid-air? I've been banging my head again the last match in the coliseum and the farthest I got involves a lot of fighting in the air. I only got there once, so maybe I can just power through, but if there's something I'm missing that I should get and come back I might just do that. I have the third nail upgrade and am using the Nailmaster, Thorns, Quick Charge, and the charm that increases Soul gained from attacks. With 7 hearts and two extra Soul containers

It's called Trial of the Fool for a reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
lmao at this weiner in the kotaku comments

"I got that impression in the demo. There was WAY too many things happening. Too many buttons to press with split second timing. Hold this button, press this button, run over there, now run back, the gauge is filled up, oh poo poo! as I was looking at the gauge for a millisecond the ball flew passed me!

It’s just all too much. It took the fun out of it. It’s not that it’s challenging. It’s frustrating. I lost typically because I pressed the wrong button at the wrong time. Meh, I can do without just fine."

I didn't instantly master this game, so it must just be too much. I lost by hitting the wrong button which is only a thing that exists in this game and not the most basic description of losing at a video game.

Someone then mentions that there is a vanilla mode with the flashy stuff turned off.

"I don’t want it all gone. Then it’s just boring. It’s just not a game for me. That’s fine. If other’s enjoy it, go for it. I just think they tried too hard to make it “exciting”."

too much! not enough! A True Weiner

Spellman
May 31, 2011

The complexity and trick shots are going to weird reviewers out, like they do in every installment. I don't think Aces is for everyone

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Enderzero posted:

"I got that impression in the demo. There was WAY too many things happening. Too many buttons to press with split second timing. Hold this button, press this button, run over there, now run back, the gauge is filled up, oh poo poo! as I was looking at the gauge for a millisecond the ball flew passed me!

It’s just all too much. It took the fun out of it. It’s not that it’s challenging. It’s frustrating. I lost typically because I pressed the wrong button at the wrong time. Meh, I can do without just fine."

I didn't instantly master this game, so it must just be too much. I lost by hitting the wrong button which is only a thing that exists in this game and not the most basic description of losing at a video game.

Someone then mentions that there is a vanilla mode with the flashy stuff turned off.

"I don’t want it all gone. Then it’s just boring. It’s just not a game for me. That’s fine. If other’s enjoy it, go for it. I just think they tried too hard to make it “exciting”."

I'm gonna dunk that dude in a toilet

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

SelenicMartian posted:

Oh crap, one player controls the movement while the other controls the camera.

For real? I'm part of the minority (or majority?) of Wii U owners who were like "oh boy Captain Toad another Wii U port" but this would strongly make me consider double dipping. Unless they pull a DKCTF and make it $60 on Switch, then they can gently caress right off.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Andrast posted:

It's called Trial of the Fool for a reason

That's to dissuade people. I'm no idiot. There must be some great reward at the end for anyone patient enough to suffer through this.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

enojy posted:

For real? I'm part of the minority (or majority?) of Wii U owners who were like "oh boy Captain Toad another Wii U port" but this would strongly make me consider double dipping. Unless they pull a DKCTF and make it $60 on Switch, then they can gently caress right off.

Whenever Nintendo is on top, it is a dark age, for you wallet

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Enderzero posted:

this answers the question of it being a fighting game pretty definitively

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sounds like the right thing to do is approach Mario Tennis like a fighting game: it has a lot of technically demanding elements that will be really rewarding for dedicated players. If you're not going to be one of those dedicated players, you should either play the simplified mode or just play something else. And, to be very clear, there's nothing at all wrong with that--no game is for everyone.

Caffeinated Jerkoff
Jul 13, 2014

LawfulWaffle posted:

2) The Switch version includes all the DLC, right? How is that accessed?

3) Have I missed the pass for the tramways?

2: Yep. I'm not sure about the other DLC, but I can tell you that The Grimm Troupe content is accessed by solving a sort of puzzle in the map west of Dirtmouth

3: Yep. It was in the Deepnest

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
For someone who hasn't played a Mario Tennis since N64, what are the different shot types good for? Obviously drop shot/lob are useful but during the demo I was defaulting to the purple one for everything else. What are the benefits of the red/blue shots?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

enojy posted:

The left joycon player controls the movement and the pulls, and can move the camera if they press a button.
The right joycon player basically controls the fingering touch (motion control), the camera (the stick) and can shoot infinite turnips at enemies whenever they like.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

CascadeBeta posted:

For someone who hasn't played a Mario Tennis since N64, what are the different shot types good for? Obviously drop shot/lob are useful but during the demo I was defaulting to the purple one for everything else. What are the benefits of the red/blue shots?

They really haven't changed much, if you force your opponent to the front of the net with a drop shot, they'll run up, and you can smash the ball with either a blue slice or a red topspin. They're just nice fast shots that you can rely on when your opponent's positioning is off

The only difference between the two is that the blue one tends to curve

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm one of those that today has moved from hype mode into wait and see on tennis, and I cancelled my amazon order.

The demo was fun but connection blew playing handheld and I never play switch big screen. The combo of, "single player is short and frustrating" and "the motion controls are janky" and "this is basically a fighting game not a tennis game" bummed me out. I hate fighting games and loved swinging rackets around in the living room on the Wii and it seems like this might not be that.

Once you guys start chiming in with more lived-in opinions I'm still definitely open to it, but it's worth the extra $10 to pick it up from Target next week if it turns out to be fine. Hope so!

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Finally got around to playing Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon and god drat it's so good. If you enjoyed Castlevania 1/3 at all this is a must buy. Currently on the Ninja Gaiden playthrough. I'm impressed with the difficulty, it's tough but not unfair.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

LawfulWaffle posted:

That's to dissuade people. I'm no idiot. There must be some great reward at the end for anyone patient enough to suffer through this.

The reward is... ...............poo poo. Not literal poo poo like the BoTW korok collectathon, but still poo poo. Bragging rights, basically. Maybe not even credit towards 100% completion.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

DLC Inc posted:

normally I don't care but man some of these Mario Tennis reviews are just "im so bad at this game so it's bad" though the best take so far was the Kotaku "review" where the writer said he retreated back to Dark Souls after being overwhelmed by Mario Tennis

What a loving wiener.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

A fully charged shot from an opponent will push you back on impact unless you counter with the correct shot. Flats counter flats, Topspin/Slice are countered with their opposite

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Huxley posted:

I'm one of those that today has moved from hype mode into wait and see on tennis, and I cancelled my amazon order.

The demo was fun but connection blew playing handheld and I never play switch big screen. The combo of, "single player is short and frustrating" and "the motion controls are janky" and "this is basically a fighting game not a tennis game" bummed me out. I hate fighting games and loved swinging rackets around in the living room on the Wii and it seems like this might not be that.

Once you guys start chiming in with more lived-in opinions I'm still definitely open to it, but it's worth the extra $10 to pick it up from Target next week if it turns out to be fine. Hope so!

Play the vanilla tennis mode.

Fighting game gone.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/NintendoVS/status/1009496104415531008

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Canned Panda posted:

Play the vanilla tennis mode.

Fighting game gone.

That's one of the things I'm holding out to see if it's a thing. Like, if vanilla tennis mode is cool and good and there's some online stuff going on with it and people seem to enjoy it and play it.

I suspect it'll be a vs CPU only nothing mode, but we'll see! Vanilla mode feels like a thing they felt obligated to fit in based on feedback from a lot of people saying, "you have made a tennis game that doesn't feel like tennis and is too hard to understand." But I definitely hope it's a thing they put real care into.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 20, 2018

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

I've never done a splatfest. Are they fun?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Over There posted:

I think so! The matches are all turf war and your actual final rank for what proportion of reward you receive is based on a grind and not wins or losses. Your actual performance is not going to be a significant sample size of the actual final result so don't worry about it and just enjoy yourself.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Over There posted:

Yeah! It's just Turf War, but it's changed so that all the maps are nighttime instead of daytime like usual, and there's an extra Splatfest-only map added to the rotation that has some weird gimmick, and it's usually different for every splatfest. Plus Pearl and Marina are doing a concert in the square. It's just Turf War, but they really make it feel like an event

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Huxley posted:

That's one of the things I'm holding out to see if it's a thing. Like, if vanilla tennis mode is cool and good and there's some online stuff going on with it and people seem to enjoy it and play it.

I suspect it'll be a vs CPU only nothing mode, but we'll see! Vanilla mode feels like a thing they felt obligated to fit in based on feedback from a lot of people saying, "you have made a tennis game that doesn't feel like tennis and is too hard to understand." But I definitely hope it's a thing they put real care into.

what are you basing this suspicion on

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Huxley posted:

They said in the demo that you could play the simple mode online

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

And vanilla mode will probably be the same perfect gameplay they've had since power tennis. I can't imagine they'd make too many tweaks to it

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

DLC Inc posted:

do not enable the Crimson Court DLC until MUCH later. If you turn it on in your first run of the game or even early in your playthrough, it can and will gently caress you up.
Also to add to the "optimal characters" opinion: I honestly think all the characters are Good and Viable in a multitude of formations. except for the Jester who is a loving waste.

Agreed, I bought the game just a few months ago and PS4 and was really enjoying it besides the Crimson Plague (or whatever it's called) introduced in Crimson Court DLC. Absolutely hated the mechanic and it really hurt my enjoyment of the game. I don't even mind permadeath/loss of characters at all, but this mechanic was just too harsh for me to cope with -- I constantly had more infected party members than I had space for them to be cleansed (or otherwise couldn't afford) and that's basically game over; dump a bunch of your well-leveled characters or start all over.

My fault for starting a game with it enabled, but they don't do a very good job of explaining what's going on when you create a new game.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah! It's just Turf War, but it's changed so that all the maps are nighttime instead of daytime like usual, and there's an extra Splatfest-only map added to the rotation that has some weird gimmick, and it's usually different for every splatfest. Plus Pearl and Marina are doing a concert in the square. It's just Turf War, but they really make it feel like an event

You also get to yell at people for picking the wrong side because seriously what kind of psychotic wants OJ with pulp?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Dr. VooDoo posted:

You also get to yell at people for picking the wrong side because seriously what kind of psychotic wants OJ with pulp?

It's me, the guy who gets orange juice with extra pulp.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Frankston posted:

It's me, the guy who gets orange juice with extra pulp.

Just buy an orange you filthy animal

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Enderzero posted:

what are you basing this suspicion on

Gut, I guess?

Zelder posted:

They said in the demo that you could play the simple mode online

This is good to hear.

Zelder posted:

And vanilla mode will probably be the same perfect gameplay they've had since power tennis. I can't imagine they'd make too many tweaks to it

I hope so! I hope it's good, just hedging a bit. Look forward to hearing you all talk about it this weekend.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Pulpless is for animals, give me Lots of Pulp or Grovestand any day

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 20, 2018

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I really like paladins as well, and in playing it, my counter to my bad aim is to play as the little gremlin guy who rides in the mech (basically DVA from Overwatch). The mechs guns have a small windup time, so I aim in the general direction as I pull the trigger to start the windup, then during the windup I fine tune my aim, hopefully with the target in the crosshairs as the gun hits full throttle.

Works well so far, and I’ll say it again to the thread. If you like Overwatch and wish it was on Switch, check out paladins.

Yeah, Ruckus is my favorite so far. I just played a game as Androxus and loving sucked rear end. I landed maybe 12 shots in the entire game. I hope they add gyro or a less lovely aim assist, especially because half the time the aim assist drags my cursor away from the guy I'm actually trying to shoot.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

THE loving MOON posted:

This is a false claim. A pulp fiction, if you will.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Pulp is haram

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

THE loving MOON posted:

I can't imagine ever being this depraved

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nintendo has some refurbs available with free shipping

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1009526373029998592?s=19

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

enojy posted:

The reward is... ...............poo poo. Not literal poo poo like the BoTW korok collectathon, but still poo poo. Bragging rights, basically. Maybe not even credit towards 100% completion.

You just want to keep the reward all to yourself. If I keep punching myself in the nuts I just know it's gonna pay out big time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

enojy posted:

Agreed, I bought the game just a few months ago and PS4 and was really enjoying it besides the Crimson Plague (or whatever it's called) introduced in Crimson Court DLC. Absolutely hated the mechanic and it really hurt my enjoyment of the game. I don't even mind permadeath/loss of characters at all, but this mechanic was just too harsh for me to cope with -- I constantly had more infected party members than I had space for them to be cleansed (or otherwise couldn't afford) and that's basically game over; dump a bunch of your well-leveled characters or start all over.

My fault for starting a game with it enabled, but they don't do a very good job of explaining what's going on when you create a new game.

You can have it enabled, and simply not visit The Courtyard. Also helps for later, because you are already farming blood vials. Of course they don't tell you this, because Darkest Dungeon.

Okay, there is the possiblility for an event starting week 40 that could give you the crimson plague even if you don't visit The Courtyard, but it never happened to me, and also: Darkest Dungeon.

They learned FROM the best SOFTWARE developers....

• Locked thread